Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82331 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #675 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (1) AC
Blue sky (1): DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:51 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (2) AC, NUKE9.13
Blue sky (1): DGR
Long Live United Forenia!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 22, 2019, 06:42:13 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (3) AC, NUKE9.13, DGR
Blue sky (0):
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 22, 2019, 07:41:29 pm »

Blue sky (0):
ME-GML-63 'Peregrine: (1) Madman

I won't be at all disappointed if TALON wins, it will get us badly-needed firepower. However, I think that this revision may provide better results. Shrikes are wonderful things, and more Shrikes is an even more wonderful thing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 23, 2019, 12:52:27 pm »

Blue sky (0):
ME-GML-63 'Peregrine: (2) Madman, Piratejoe

I really want both, but I think Peregrine is the better choice here as I don't see it being anything higher than expensive.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 23, 2019, 01:07:41 pm »

Thing is, the Peregrine is sort of competing with both airstrikes and Penguins. I'm sure that, done properly, it could fill a niche, but it's not a glaring hole in our lineup. Whereas our Grizzlies could really use a dedicated anti-armour weapon to make a Grizzly vs tank battle truly one-sided.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 23, 2019, 01:12:02 pm »

The Penguin is lame and useless, and artillery never competes with air strikes---at least, not enough to make either one useless.

Additional killing power is never a bad thing, and this is just a different form of tank-killing power in the end---instead of directly using [probably VE] Grizzly weapons to kill tanks, we use [Probably E, though basic Shrikes are Cheap so maybe we'll get lucky?] missiles from elsewhere to kill tanks...and everything else.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 08, 2019, 04:23:29 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (4) AC, NUKE9.13, DGR, Andrea
Blue sky (0):

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 08, 2019, 10:22:30 pm »

I doubt Shrikes are suitable for modification in that way. So...

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (5) AC, NUKE9.13, DGR, Andrea, FallacyofUrist
Blue sky (0):
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 13, 2019, 09:41:16 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (6) AC, NUKE9.13, DGR, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, m1895
Blue sky (0):
we could add a carriage based version, like the flak 88. that would nullify the problem of it being exclusive to Grizzlies.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 13, 2019, 11:07:26 pm »

we could add a carriage based version, like the flak 88. that would nullify the problem of it being exclusive to Grizzlies.

This is a good proposal, but may add some difficulty. Opinions?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 13, 2019, 11:39:27 pm »

This is a good proposal, but may add some difficulty. Opinions?
It probably wouldn't as there's no need to modify for it to be mounted on a carriage, and the carriage itself would be fairly rudimentary; however, we could just use a static mounting if you want to be absolutely sure we won't have a difficulty spike.
(mainly I just want something in our bunkers that can stop Glaives from blasting away at them unopposed.)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 15, 2019, 08:13:30 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' (Tank Application of Laser OrdiNance)
Based on the CLAW, the TALON laser system is basically a scaled-up version capable of delivering millisecond pulses of laser energy, enough that the target's surface explodes into plasma, short enough that the resulting cloud doesn't waste (too much) of the pulse's energy. The intent is to make a Grizzly arm mount that is capable of producing a devastating pulse to flash large amounts of armor or flesh into an expanding cloud of deadly-hot plasma. It does not need to be capable of sustained fire or rapid fire, instead being used like an actual tank cannon, single shots capable of destroying an entire tank, but fired only every few seconds, rather than "continuous fire til the battery's dry".
Revision: ME-GWS-63 'TALON'
(Normal) (7) = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

We tried plenty of approaches to what was described as a "laser tank cannon" with explosive amounts of power.
It turns out the best way to do this is a flagrant disregard for safety and common sense. Who knew? In its simplest description, the TALON is an upscaled CLAW. Very heavy -- too heavy to be practically mounted onto aircraft and definitely too heavy to be held by infantry. In a more complex description, the TALON is more or less what happens when we overload a CLAW then send the explosion towards the enemy, rather than ourselves.

The weapon has a larger Magmagel tank and a significantly larger capacitor array. Other than that, the internals are remarkably similar to the CLAW. What differs is how we use them. The entire assembly works through a state of "controlled" overcharging/meltdown. For five seconds. When the entire assembly is on the verge of, as our scientists call it, "destroying itself and everything the gunner loves", we fire a very brief, and very powerful, laser pulse.
It makes some fun sounds, from a nice whine and concerning grinding sound as it charges, and a very satisfying pulse sound as it fires.

While the pulse is fired at the speed of light, it's very visible to everyone. It turns all the air it touches into plasma and turns its target into -- also -- plasma. This is very nice to see. But we advise gunners to warn everyone else before firing, else they too get turned into plasma.
Overheating is naturally a huge concern -- without proper heating, the TALON tends to very violently explode taking the surrounding area with it. So in addition to the 5 second charge-up time, the weapon needs 30 seconds to cool down between shots. STABIL-ICE coolant tubes run through the weapon. And if they get damaged, the weapon should hopefully not allow firing attempts. Hopefully. We're telling Grizzly pilots equipped with TALONs to be very careful with them if any battle damage at all is experienced.

It can only shoot 10 times without the Magmagel needing to be recharged. It can be charged in field -- either from an external connection or by using the power supply of whatever the weapon is equipped on. Though even just 10 shots can be extremely effective.

It costs 4 Magmatite, 3 Ore, and 1 Oil. Making it Very Expensive. It'll be equipped onto Grizzlies as deemed necessary. We predict great effectiveness (albeit at a risk) wherever the TALON is deployed.
((Reminder: Weapons' expenses aren't directly added onto vehicles equipped with them. Their expense just determines how many vehicles can carry them. Expensive vehicle Expensive weapon means every vehicle has a weapon. Exp vehicle VE weapon means only a few get them. Etc.))

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Winter 1963 has begun.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:25:02 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1963 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #688 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:39 pm »

...and that was Normal? Happiness achieved. That might just fix the whole "your 'tanks' really aren't tanks and aren't good enough at defeating theirs because yours are so rare" issue. Maybe we can finally get to working with something like space or Brainwave (Brainwave! SERF did get us even more progress into that realm of technology.) that requires a little breathing room to get right.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1964 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #689 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:02 am »

Combat Phase: Spring 1964

Our scientists agree: whatever the "Astral Realm" is, it's scary. And the fact that Aratam is using an eldritch dimension as an anti-armor weapon is slightly disconcerting.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Spring 1964 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74