Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82310 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2018, 11:07:00 am »

Quote from: Catcount
(2) - 'Destroying Angel' Shell: Draignean, FallacyofUrist
(1) - Cerebral action translator: Andrea
       (1) Use research credit: Andrea

A more compact and agile grizzly can be deployed in mountains without being limited by terrain, being half tank half infantry. Furthermore, this opens a lot of possibilities for the future.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:40 am »

(1) - Cerebral action translator: Andrea
       (1) Use research credit: Andrea
(1) - ME-MRAR-62 'Firedrake': Madman

Grizzly isn't actually as limited by terrain as the report makes it sound, per word of GM (in Discord).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2018, 12:19:42 pm »

(2) - Cerebral action translator: Andrea, NUKE9.13
       (2) Use research credit: Andrea, NUKE9.13
I think better Grizzlies are the way to go. I'm not 100% on that, but I prefer it to the other options on the table.
Long Live United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 08, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
(3) - Cerebral action translator: Andrea, NUKE9.13, Happerry
       (3) Use research credit: Andrea, NUKE9.13, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »

Cerebral Action Translator is perfect for 'additional limbs' (aka cybernetic tails). Sign me up.

Quote from: Votebox
(4) - Cerebral action translator: Andrea, NUKE9.13, Happerry
       (4) Use research credit: Andrea, NUKE9.13, Happerry
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2018, 02:25:48 am »

Cerebral Action Translator: The human body is inefficient. Robotics are the future. Unfortunately, robotic brains are currently beyond us. But what if we could combine human brains and robotic bodies?
Introducing the Cerebral Action Translator. It turns thoughts into computer signals, and computer signals into thoughts. It consists of a helmet lined with Neural Yield Amplifiers that pick up on the electrical signals in the brain and amplify them, which are connected to a computer that digitizes these signals and sends them on to connected robotics. At the same time, feedback is translated into neural signals and fed back into the brain by a Neural Injection Pin, connected to a jack in the user's spine.
We have installed this system into the Grizzly v2- removing the need for a large interior space for the pilot to move about in, the v2 is smaller and more lithe than the original, though no less powerful. Electrogel pressure pads located throughout the armour provide sensory feedback to the pilot through the Neural Injection Pin, making them feel more at one with the mech. The pilot still visually observes their surroundings through a fiberscope, but unlike the original Grizzly, the v2 can actually turn its head from side to side.
Design: Cerebal Action Translator (Research Credit)
(Hard) (4+4+3)-1 = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

So it turns out that Electrogel is surprisingly similar to the human neural system.
Not that similar, mind you, but as similar as a gel-battery-wire-conduit-substance can be to a neural system. Also we guess our experience from the MXETE helps, but we're still not sure that the MXETE technicians didn't just fax over a series of useless documents then use the records of those faxes to claim that they helped with this project and thus deserve a raise in budget.

The... CAT, is at the surface level a straight forward device. We plug a human into a machine, the human controls the machine.
Though we set out to achieve neural input via just over-the-head Neural Yield Amplifiers, it turns out that with our current equipment it's practically impossible to achieve the intensity and precision of brain waves required for proper interfacing with this over-the-head method.
So, instead, the CAT works by a series of plugs -- called Neural Injection Pins for PR accuracy reasons -- along the upper spine and a bit into the back of the brain. From the outside, it appears to cover most of the neck as well as the lower half of the rear head. These pins were originally only intended to be used for sending signals to the brain, but we discovered that with an increased number of them in the right spots we can also read signals.

The Neural Injection Pins work by being plugged into pre-existing jacks. These neural jacks are prepared in pilots with surgery ahead of time. With the proper use of slightly-modified Rechargeable Electrogel, we can very crudely mimic neurons. With a bit of extra prodding, we can invoke the body's neurons to grow and connect to the Electrogel, forming an artificial-organic bridge. Then, we just use Electrogel conduits and plugs to transfer information back and forth. Again, it's crude. We can't fit that much information into the currently used Electrogel and Electrogel-Neuron interfaces, but it's enough for basic motor control and a basic almost-"on/off" sense of touch (now provided in the Grizzly via strategic place of Electrogel pressure pads).

Pilots go through the surgery to have the series of jacks implanted into their spines and brains (which may cause a sense of permanent uncomfort and tingling in the connected regions due to Electrogel interactions but bah that's only been observed in 94 out of 100 subjects), then we can just plug in Neural Injection Pins to the jacks and have the pilots operate whatever's configured properly. Though an acclimation period and training is needed as it can be compared to suddenly gaining new limbs without all of the sensations, this can replace current training procedures and we don't expect that much of a difference in overall pilot preparation time.

With this in hand, we've made some minor yet notable adjustments to the Grizzly, creating the Grizzly v2. The v2 is pretty much what we expected. It's smaller with a decreased cabin space, and the pilot sits almost integrated in the suit, with the fiberscope "screen" practically a few centimeters away from their eyes (and some other instruments, like the Electrogel conduit status indicator, to the sides). They can turn the head and limbs of the v2 without moving themselves physically, and the sense of touch allows for a basic yet useful sense of surroundings.
Overall, the v2 is smaller, more agile, and just as tough as before. It's more (not completely) similar to a large human rather than a walking tank. Though the decreased cabin size does lead to an increased chance of penetrating projectiles killing the pilot, we're not too worried.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Fall 1962 has begun.
The military has informed us that we will continue receiving the +1 Ore from the mountains for another season, thanks to an increased effort from v1 Grizzly suits in the region. Though this is only temporary and unless we gain ground, we will lose the Ore bonus.
((Reevaluation of the combat in the mountains has deemed that Grizzlies should have been a bit more effective in the mountains. For compensation, Mereth is receiving the +1 Ore from the mountains for only this turn. If there are no changes in the mountains, next combat phase will have an Aratam-biased draw in the mountains. This is not reflected in your Designs spoiler to avoid a bookkeeping nightmare, so please remind me before the Combat Report.))
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:46:54 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2018, 04:13:35 am »

easier than I thought... well, we have full on cybernetics now.

there are some possible revisions, not sure which would help more.

1) Mortars. historically useful in mountains, help achieving sufficient saturation of the area to make their prediction ability redundant. Our bears can probably carry some large ones and could be integrated with grizzly.

2)Cyberpenguins. Link a trained pidgeon brain to a penguin, and you get really really good automatic guidance.

3)Better electrogel. Currently, the only thing preventing total adoption of power armour in our ranks is how annoying it is to recharge, and a barely less than completely comfortable endurance.

4)Gyrojet. We could turn our autocannon in a deadly AoE long range weapon by getting it to use rocket ICE bullets

5)Better drop bears. If they had more controls, they could shine in mountains to reach positions they couldn't hope to get to before.

I may write some of them.

Not entirely sure this counts as a revision, although I tried to fluff it as sarukh based.

ME-MO-62
This is Mereth's first proper battlefield protable mortar. Its design is simple : it is a metal tube, shooting a projectile on  a high arcing ballistic trajectory. The projectile is inserted in the tube and when it hits the firing pin at the bottom the charge lights. True to our allies, it is actually more of a protable rocket launcher, based on our sarukh experience. the initial charge is small, but the mortar shell has a small rocket engine on it boosting it to suitable ranges. It can carry any of our warheads ( currently ICE and HE I believe). As for size, it is baselined on bear armour soldiers, so it is larger than most counterparts across the world, although not unbearably so for unbeared infantry. An automatic version is also added to the grizzly, mounted on the back.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:50:45 am by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2018, 12:08:47 pm »

You know, I think the mortar is the best option. Better Drop Bears, which I would also like to do, require two changes: more finesse and more flight time. To do both in one revision would be ambitious, I think.

Quote from: VOTES
ME-MO-62 "_": (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »

ME-MO-62 "_": (2) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2018, 05:09:37 pm »

We might want to try applying CAT to Bear Armor next turn. Using CAT would almost certainly allow us to get the level of control we need.

Another possible revision is reducing the Grizzly to the size of somebody curled up in the torso, or possibly the size of someone just sitting regularly in said torso. Either option would hopefully be enough for a cost reduction.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2018, 01:52:22 am »

ME-MO-62 "Nameless death": (3) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla Andrea

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 14, 2018, 02:37:41 am »

ME-MO-62 "Nameless Death": (4) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Andrea, Maximum Spin

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:17 am »

ME-MO-62 "Nameless Death": (5) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Andrea, Maximum Spin, FallacyofUrist

Works for me.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:20 pm »

Just a thought but if we connected that neural system to a radio network and made it standard issue we would basically have telepathy and limited technopathy if we incorporate remote control modules into stuff. Plus it would link our soldiers together, making it harder for enemy supersoldiers to dodge our shots, (hopefully) increasing accuracy, and allow for increased coordination.
We should also look into making our own supersoldiers.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 14, 2018, 05:46:44 pm »

My friend, have we discussed the Feline Augmentation Initiative yet? Come. We have much to discuss... an augmented humanity is the future!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74