Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82306 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #420 on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »

Hmm my plan for a supersoldier involved more crystals from below magma, cybernetics, invocation of and deals with demons from beyond reality, and less cats
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 14, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »

I'm sure we can find an excellent compromise between cats and sorcery and crystals and cybernetics.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 14, 2018, 06:33:59 pm »

Well i will write it up phase one of my idea next design phase and when we get to the research were we actually properly make super-soldiers I will incorporate cat people. So long as you vote for it. Phase one is the discovery of the crystal, its link to other dimensions, its ability to hold the minds of extra-dimensional beings, and it's tendency to change and warp things that it is stuck into.
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:01 pm »

I just had a thought for a revision, charge gel
A version of electro gel which while it itself can't hold much charge distributes charge to normal electrogel and accepts lots more electricity. Basically wrap a bunch of electrodes in this stick it in any of our electro-gel motors and voila!! I will probably make a better write up for it...
And my actual suggestion for a revision.
Quote from: C.A.T. integration
Using this remarkable new innovation we develop a set of implants and bear/grizzly armor modules that use the sockets to connect a radio and a microcomputer into the brain. These implants/modules form a network that connects everything with a compatible unit, this means that the connection goes from the lowliest trooper, to the highest commander, to any piece of military equipment with the right RC modules, enabling them to share information, thoughts, sensor data, and commands with unprecedented speed. Of course to prevent information overload and to help organize we have to use computers, the microcomputer in the implant devotes most of its time and computing power to acting as a buffer, sorting through information and highlighting/showing the user key pieces of info, it also sorts through outgoing data, flagging any information or ideas that could be of use for inspection higher up the chain. In addition there are computational nodes, capable of being mounted on the back of a truck but also capable of being used anywhere with sufficient space, their primary purpose is to act as a buffer between local squad groups and the larger battlefield, assembling updates for our forces, and harnessing any processing power left over in the implants as well as their native computational abilities to micromanage their squads. What this means is that the nodes calculate trajectories then use them to adjust aim, move our troops limbs to avoid fire, and generally help out in dozens of little ways. These nodes also serve to assemble "mind's eye" maps of the battlefield, using data and info from the soldiers on the battlefield to assemble a high fidelity 3d map of the battlefield for use by commanders.
This is version one tell me if anything looks stupid/is misspelled.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:37:16 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:31 pm »

Currently, our computer tech is room sized. Microcomputers embedded in the brain are quite a way off, especially in a revision.

That aside, linking CAT units is a nice idea. But I don't feel it being a revision.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:53 am »

OK How about next turn then?
And we really should do improved computing.
And i never meant for them to be embeded, more of attached to the outside of the head
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:16:49 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:44 am »

Either way, much smaller than we can make in 1962 with our experience.

Powerful microelectronics may actually be surprisingly hard compared to cybernetics, considering that this game has cold war tropes inspirations and in this period, bigger computers were all the rage.

That said, we can achieve brain linkage without them and adding some computers here and there is feasible. A specialized targeting solutions hardware barely counts as computer, yet it would be a tremendous help.

Personally for anything more than crunching numbers I'll try to get brains more than transistors. Such as bird guided missiles.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2018, 12:34:52 am »

just a thought but could we make electro gel computers? That stuff is similar to human brain tissue, why can't we run an intelligence on that.
Also, we should revise electrogel again, we use it in all of our main designs and we cannot recharge it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:56:02 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2018, 01:03:01 am »

We can recharge it, it is just fiddly. But we must indeed revise it soon.

Electrogel computing could be an interesting idea for artificial intelligence. Might be our equivalent of the positronic brain.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2018, 02:10:41 am »

I have come up with two more ideas.
First up is to make a dedicated auto cannon rifle for our bear armor, with ICE shells and go fast propellant we could make a fairly effective weapon.
My second idea is to basically make a mini jaeger, arming it with battleship guns and a wide variety of other long range weapons systems to make a mobile, heavily armored, artillery base.
My Power armor arms race

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2018, 10:41:35 am »

Alright, so, I really, REALLY like dgr's proposal for CAT-based telepathic radio. If we expand upon this a bit, we can recycle MXETE and our electrogel "neurons" (neurogel design, anyone?), plus our holographic tech, to have a full-scale ultimate battlefield control system. A field commander would be able to look at a holographic display that shows the position of every single soldier on the battlefield, plus a short note about their condition. A bit of concentration would allow him to access the control computer (which is getting information from the minds of every single soldier on the battlefield) and check the specific conditions of every single soldier on the battlefield, even looking through their own eyes when necessary. Step one is expanding CAT to interact with more of the brain, and attach it to a radio to allow incredibly rapid inter-soldier communication on the battlefield.

Oh, and I guess we could work in a bit of COMBAT armor/helmet or something while we do that, if we do it as a full design.

Next, of course, we'd want to produce the battlefield control hologram/computer setup, showing just position based on simple radio contact, no real information exchange necessary. Finally, integration of the two.

Oh, and as Andrea mentioned in Discord: We can then add some sensors (UV, IR, etc.) into the network so our soldiers can see things that a normal human can't.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 15, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »

Since it was requested, writing electrogel improvement.
I don't think it is superior to mortar this turn, but we should do it soon. We are very close to obsoleting unarmoured humans.

Fast charge electrogel - name pending, ask NUKE
This new version of the electrogel has some small but important improvements.
First of all, a better set of electrodes is implanted to allow recharge without perfect stillness being required, allowing the grizzly to draw from its storage during quieter times and Bears to do partial recharges without leaving the suit.
Then, the accepted voltage is greatly increased, allowing for fast recharge. The same armour suit can fight during the day, recharge, and be ready again before it needs to be used again.
Lastly, capacity is slightly increased to accomodate predicted use between recharge.

All this together should mean that there is no reason to go in battle naked. Because fabric doesn't really count as suitable clothes anymore.

Meanwhile, have yet another grizzly design proposal.

Evolved Grizzly
This third iteration of the grizzly truly integrates the CAT in its working and expands its potential.

First of all, the pilot is not standing anymore: why would he?  he is now crouching in the chest of the mech, reducing the overall height by 0.5 to 1 meter. This makes the vehicle lighter and more able to take cover.
The sensors have been completely overhauled: whereas earlier only fiberscpe and basic microphones were available to perceive the environment and had to be routed through the natural senses, now we have cracked full sensory input: fiberscope still exist, but it is augmented by an array of cameras ranging from infrared to ultraviolet linked directly to the brain and providing a far higher field of view than the human eye could. Similarly, microphones are tuned to listed to an higher range than the human ear and include experience from the Earth ear to detect moving enemies from far away.
Lastly, a small computing device has been added, an hardware board built to calculate firing solutions. it is commanded by the brain focusing on a target and it outputs directly to the motor systems, acting as a kind of instinct allowing extraordinarily short times between choosing to fire and firing an extremely accurate shot, much faster than a naked human could (because if you don't have augments, you may as well be naked).
Radio is also linked directly to the soldier, although still language based. But being able to send thoughts rather than speech brings communication to a whole new level.
Any spare time should be devoted to increasing the agility of the grizzly to match its new sensory capabilities.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:48:37 pm by andrea »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 23, 2018, 07:58:28 pm »

ME-MO-62 "Nameless Death"
This is Mereth's first proper battlefield protable mortar. Its design is simple : it is a metal tube, shooting a projectile on  a high arcing ballistic trajectory. The projectile is inserted in the tube and when it hits the firing pin at the bottom the charge lights. True to our allies, it is actually more of a protable rocket launcher, based on our sarukh experience. the initial charge is small, but the mortar shell has a small rocket engine on it boosting it to suitable ranges. It can carry any of our warheads ( currently ICE and HE I believe). As for size, it is baselined on bear armour soldiers, so it is larger than most counterparts across the world, although not unbearably so for unbeared infantry. An automatic version is also added to the grizzly, mounted on the back.
Revision: ME-MO-62 "Nameless Death"
(Normal) (3+4) = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

The Nameless Death is a simple weapon, but an effective one.

It fits ICE and HE shells, and fires them at relatively long ranges. Nothing approaching the ranges of a Sarukh or any of their artillery, of course, but more than you'd expect for a mortar. The shells are particularly devastating -- though again, this is relative for a mortar round. Still not as good as specialized artillery.

But where it shines is in its ability to saturate an area with mortar rounds. Being designed with Bear (and Grizzly) armor specifically in mind, we were able to do something interesting. The Nameless Death can be equipped on the back mount of any suit of Bear Armor (where Drop Bear tanks or ICE tanks would normally go) and be fired from a button on the Bear suit's arm, eliminating employment entirely. Another nearby soldier has to manually load in the shell, though, and deploying is still a good idea as it's a bit easier to load and to aim. But still - the ability to fire a mortar on the go is fairly useful. Though our soldiers wish they had some kind of guide to where the shell would land, and have to operate entirely on training and memory based on their posture.
It can of course also be equipped on the back of Grizzlies as well, in a slightly larger self-loading configuration. The Grizzly-mounted version, while automatic, does still face the same aiming issues as the Bear-mounted version. And while we managed to get "fire" as a valid action using CAT (using some vestigial neural signals -- we still can't easily invent actions that aren't analogous with limbs/parts of the body, and were lucky that we just need one simple action for this), we couldn't fit in any abilities to adjust the power, fuse, or other configurations of the mortar. So the use of the Nameless Death on a grizzly would be stuck on long-range; this is especially true considering the Grizzly wouldn't be able to aim using its body as effectively as a Bear trooper.

Despite the limitations, it's a great and extremely versatile weapon that can be fired with or without deployment and preparation, and is cheap enough that we'll be able to send a lot more shells flying towards Aratam.
Both versions cost 2 Ore, and are thus Cheap.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Fall 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2018, 10:54:56 pm »

Combat Report Winter 1962

"Stupid psychics" is commonly heard being muttered by engineers as they stare at their design notes in the R&D rooms.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Winter 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2018, 11:08:43 pm »

Well, the zephyr should give the enemy heck. But we might want something to even out the ground war a bit, I have a design for a heavy artillery mech tucked away in the back of my brain, that might work. Unfortunately I am probably not going to be able to post for a few days.
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74