Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82309 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2018, 12:08:46 pm »

Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunications

The PET is an helmet designed to hook to the brain through an upgraded CAT interface, which has enhanced sensory transmission capabilities.
On the helmet is mounted a full suite of sensors: cameras and microphones operating inside *and* outside the range of normal senses (including infrared, ultraviolet, and whatever can be considered useful and feasible). The direct interface allows the soldier to use this set of eyes and ears as well as his natural ones, with a larger field of view and better senses than unaugmented humans could hope for.

A radio is also included for voice comms. However, it can also transmit the visual feed from nearby soldiers allowing them to see through the eyes of their partners.

The combination of a far greater deal of communication, plus expanded field of view, plus access to new senses gives an entirely new awareness on the battlefield. Soldiers will be able to fight in the night, they will hear enemy coming from the sound of their footsteps travelling in the ground, they can zoom, they can observe from multiple points of view. It may not be able to truly see the future, but it should put goldeneye enhanced senses to shame.

Grizzly soldiers are also equipped with this new CAT system, although in their case sensors are mounted on the suit rather than the helmet.

Quote from: quotebox vote
ME-CYB-62 "Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunication" (1) - Andrea
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:28:51 pm by andrea »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »

ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" Sonic Weapons System:

The problem of SEEM troopers and Goldeneyes has been vexing everyone in our R&D team for a long, long time. How do you beat someone that can dodge anything you throw at them? Dodge so much you literally run out of ammo? This is our solution. Throw something they can't dodge at them.

But what can't SEEM troopers and Goldeneyes dodge? They can dodge bullets, mortar shells, missiles, ICE, fists, and basically everything we can throw at them. The only thing they can't dodge are the angry shouts of our soldiers, but that doesn't do anything.

Well, that gave our R&D team(specifically Fallacy) an idea. What if we created a weapons system that used sound to debilitate Aratam's soldiers? Who could possibly dodge sound? Certainly not SEEM troopers. Nobody can dodge sound.

The "Noisemaker" is a new Grizzly arm module that emits a wide conic zone of powerful ultrasound. It devastates the eardrums of whoever is in that area, causing extreme nausea, pain, and loss of balance, effectively neutralizing whoever is in that area. It's nonlethal, but that doesn't really matter when the people knocked down are taken out by supporting fire.

We expect this to have devastating anti-SEEM and anti-Goldeneye effects. They can't dodge sound, no matter how far ahead they see it coming. Heck, Goldeneyes have enhanced senses making them even more vulnerable to this attack! Once immobilized by the "Noisemaker", they will be easily killed.

On another note, the "Noisemaker" has excellent civilian crowd control capability. Our MAST teams will rejoice to have it. Assuming we don't disseminate our new anti-ultrasound earplugs to the public. These earplugs use a special gel formula to neutralize ultrasonic waves that pass through them. We expect that that should neutralize the friendly fire issue.

And it can play music!
~~~
Chronium Advanced Manufacturing Method:

One morning, one of our engineers(who shall remain unnamed) opened an old storage locker he had bought on auction. He didn't expect to find a large box full of blue crystals and instructions for making them.

The box came with a note. It was apparently sent back in time. By us, or a future version of Mereth's R&D. It was a last-ditch method to save Mereth from Aratam, and apparently it worked. We have the box, after all. The instructions warn that if we in the war, we'll need to create an exact copy of the box and send it back in time to the exact same location to create a stable time loop and avoid paradox.

The instructions are for an advanced chemical method of creating Chronium, a blue crystal with extremely anomalous properties. When fed an electric current, time itself is bent in various ways depending on how power is fed and what type of Chronium is used. The more power, the greater the effect. Chronium will be a limited resource for us, but it will certainly be useful.
~~~
Quote from: Motefox
ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (1) - FallacyofUrist
~~~
Edit:

ME-RPFA-62 "Zephyr":
We must reclaim aerial superiority! The "Zephyr" Remotely Piloted Fighter Aircraft is our attempt to do so.

The Zephyr is a small fighter craft. It's ridiculously small. It only holds enough fuel for Short range, it has minimal armor, and it doesn't even have a cockpit. This is because it's a remotely piloted craft. When a Zephyr pilot wishes to pilot his craft, he hops into a Neurotransmitter Pod and jacks in using his CAT. The pilot then uses his CAT to control the craft from a distance. This is extremely advantageous. Without a pilot, the Zephyr can pull ridiculous maneuvers that would cause the pilot to pass out from the Gs if he was there in person. Without a pilot, a bunch of room is saved, allowing us to decrease the size and hence expense of the craft. And if it's shot down... the pilot, controlling it from a distance, remains alive and uninjured... and keeps his experience for the next time around. We'll accumulate veteran fighter pilots much faster this way. The final advantage is only hypothetical: some of our R&D team theorize that the SEEM Commandos work via telepathically scanning our men to find their position and what they're about to do. If this is true, the SEEM Commandos will be completely unable to detect the Zephyr using their enhanced senses!

The Zephyr's weapons are a pair of Velociraptor auto cannons and a pair of Sarukh missiles. Not much, but we expect to swarm the enemy with them, so...

The Zephyr does have one more weapon. Itself. The Zephyr has a large ICE charge inside it, and can be used as a suicide bomber that doesn't actually kill the pilot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:18:24 am by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 09, 2018, 10:10:41 pm »

ME-DNI-62 'Second Sight'
The human eye is a marvel of evolution gone mostly right. It produces a marvelous amount of information, transmits it along a single nerve to the back of the brain, where the image is flipped upside down and then run through the brain's truly remarkable pattern-recognition system. However, that single nerve is an ideal point to establish a contact point with the outside world. Similar to how we tap neurons in the CAT system, this enhanced version utilizes a much denser version of the electrogel "neurons", aptly named Neurogel for its properties. It is not much good at providing power, but it is excellent at mimicking neurons. This denser network allows for simple visual data to be processed into and out of the optic nerve. A simplified version of what the user is seeing can be fed to any other Second Sight system, and a (relatively) simple picture in visible light can be fed into the optic nerve. The system itself is a sheath of neurogel inside a helmet with associated connections to the brain itself. This system is presently integrated into versions of the Blizzard, Bear Armor, and Grizzly. Cameras capable of seeing into the infrared spectrum are mounted on the Grizzly, allowing users to see at night or in adverse weather conditions. Additional visual-spectrum cameras allow for nearly 360 degree vision. Similarly, cameras mounted in the Blizzard allow pilots to see places no enemy pilot expects them to see, helping to improve combat capability overall and reduce ambush scenarios. Bear Armor carries a forward-facing infrared camera and a camera mounted so that they can literally see directly behind them.

I feel like I missed things, and it's probably unclear. But hey, I did a thing, and it is a thing, of sorts.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:05:26 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:36 pm »

ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (2) - FallacyofUrist, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 13, 2018, 11:21:24 pm »

ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (2) - FallacyofUrist, DGR
ME-DNI-62 'Second Sight': (1) - Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 14, 2018, 02:53:45 am »

Uh, the Noisemaker should probably include super-earplugs as well, eh?
Long Live United Forenia!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:00 am »

Probably. That would be a good Idea
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 14, 2018, 11:16:54 am »

Uh, the Noisemaker should probably include super-earplugs as well, eh?
Derp.

Uh, yeah. I'll get right on that.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 14, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (3) - FallacyofUrist, DGR, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:11 pm »

ME-CYB-62 "Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunication" (2) - Andrea, Jilladilla
ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (3) - FallacyofUrist, DGR, Happerry

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 14, 2018, 03:29:10 pm »

Chronium Advanced Manufacturing Method, Disruptor variant:

One morning, one of our engineers(who shall remain unnamed) opened an old storage locker he had bought on auction. He didn't expect to find a large box full of blue crystals and instructions for making them.

The box came with a note. It was apparently sent back in time. By us, or a future version of Mereth's R&D. It was a last-ditch method to save Mereth from Aratam, and apparently it worked. We have the box, after all. The instructions warn that if we in the war, we'll need to create an exact copy of the box and send it back in time to the exact same location to create a stable time loop and avoid paradox.

The instructions are for an advanced chemical method of creating Chronium, a blue crystal with extremely anomalous properties. When fed an electric current, time (and thus space) itself is bent in various ways depending on how power is fed and what type of Chronium is used. The more power, the greater the effect. Chronium will be a limited resource for us, but it will certainly be useful.

For now though, it has a minor use in its innate ability to disrupt the senses of spice users. It does this by effectively being the exact opposite of spice, where spice lets one see the future and the present, chronium allows you to alter the past, and change the present. Thus these two conflicting fields tend to cancel each other out. The effect also "sticks" to things that exit the effected area, for around a minute before it fades away.

It also has the minor benefit of causing spice in a massive area to slowly degrade and decompose. Not when it is in someone's body though.
ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (2) - FallacyofUrist, Happerry
Chronium Advanced Manufacturing Method, Disruptor variant: (1),DGR
Credit for most of this design goes to fallacy of urist, I merely added the parts about it disrupting enemy psychics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:37:19 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »

Psitanium Painbeam: Psitanium was discovered by happy accident. We were experimenting on investigating a group of soldiers who displayed 'SEEM-sensing' abilities, when the lab we were using got double-booked by a group of DUC scientists experimenting with samples from deep within MAGMA. There was an amount of shouting that occured as the two parties sorted out their differences, during which time our test subjects poked at the DUC's samples. This is generally deleterious to one's health, as it was in this case. One of the subjects reported a terrible pain upon contact with some violet-tinged ore. Further experimentation revealed that all the subjects experienced similar pains, whilst non-SEEM-sensing individuals felt nothing, or a mild discomfort at worst.
We immediately tasked the DUC with an in-depth investigation of the material. Previously considered worthless, what we now call Psitanium will, when properly treated, interfere with 'psychic' individuals in either positive or negative ways, depending on the treatment.
Given the threat that SEEM and Goldeneye soldiers pose to our forces, this is very interesting. Once the DUC figured out how to refine Psitanium in sufficient quantities, we set about developing weapons from the stuff.
What we have to show for our initial efforts is the Painbeam, a large dish-shaped lump of refined Psitanium  that, when exposed to an electrical current, emits a 'psychic wave' in a wide-angled beam that can travel for considerable distances before dissipating. In sensitive individuals, this can cause anything from mild headaches, through splitting migraines, to 'psychic feedback' causing intracranial trauma with potentially lethal effects. These can be mounted on Grizzlies (replacing an arm), or deployed by themselves on simple trailers.

E: This is not intended as a hard counter, anymore than AP weapons are a hard counter to armour. It is a weapon that is effective against psychics, not a battlefield-wide instakill.

Disruption chronium/chronium manufacture: (1),DGR
Psitanium Painbeam: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:19:33 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:49 pm »

Following negotiation, which included expanding the design to all our bear infantry, I am switching to madman's design.

ME-CYB-62 "Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunication" (1) - Jilladilla
ME-DNI-62 'Second Sight': (1) - Madman, Andrea
Psitanium Painbeam: (1) NUKE9.13

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 14, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »

ME-CYB-62 "Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunication" (1) - Jilladilla
ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (1) - Happerry
ME-DNI-62 'Second Sight': (2) - Madman, Andrea
Psitanium Painbeam: (2) NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist
Voted. We'll get those SEEMs yet!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 14, 2018, 04:12:37 pm »

ME-CYB-62 "Platoon Extrasensorial Telecommunication" (0) -
ME-SYS-62 "Noisemaker" (1) - Happerry
ME-DNI-62 'Second Sight': (3) - Madman, Andrea, Jilladilla
Psitanium Painbeam: (2) NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74