Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Tech Support [ACT 2] [ᚦᛖ᛫ᚷᛟᛚᛞᛖᚾ᛫ᛒᚱᛖᛞ᛫ᛁᛉ᛫ᛖᛏᛖᚱᚾᚨᛚ]  (Read 53649 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Support [ᚦᛖ᛫ᛟᛚᛞ᛫ᚹᚢᚾᛉ᛫ᚨᚱ᛫ᚨᚹᚨᚲ]
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:51 pm »

View help on the Stone.
On second thought, do this. Nothing could possibly be a more unfathomable horror nor memetic despair than normal windows help, so this will probably need to be genuinely helpful. It is the only way that it can be warped...
agreed.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #376 on: March 08, 2018, 11:01:45 pm »

View help on the Stone.
On second thought, do this. Nothing could possibly be a more unfathomable horror nor memetic despair than normal windows help, so this will probably need to be genuinely helpful. It is the only way that it can be warped...
agreed.
agreed. It is a known law of the hyperverse, across dimensions, that Windows Help is infinitely horrific, and nothing can be more horrific than it. In order to subvert it, you have to make it helpful

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 10, 2018, 12:06:48 am »

I agree with viewing help on the stone.

Make another, clean stone, free of tux-taint, as that might adversely effect the necronomicon if we decide to give it a look at the stone.

Give the necronomicon another copied stone.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 10, 2018, 12:09:42 am »

yeah a stone plus part of one were already acting dangerous.  Don't make another one on the same desktop.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 10, 2018, 12:41:03 am »

Windows help is not that horrible really. I have seen much worse help systems.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2018, 12:54:31 am »

You have not lived until you have tried the online documentation for old versions of Novell Netware, or tried to use MSDOS's help program. :P

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2018, 03:33:54 am »

Spoiler:  offensive content (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2018, 04:11:49 am »

Spoiler:  offensive content (click to show/hide)

I see your [offensive content], and raise you

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:04 am »

Okay!  I don't know anything about how files like "CoolCursors.RPM" should work, but check it for actually usable files.  If it's just a stupid animating ad, don't click its link.  Close and delete.  And I mean shift-delete that thing.

Going back a bit, I'm uncertain how

page 292
became
492!

If it's just a typo, then no problem.  If it's not, look at page 292 already.

Next, I'm getting a little concerned about personal exertion.  It is, after all,

2am

and it could be bad to start suffering stress- and sleep-deprivation-induced hallucinations on top of other kinds.  I'd recommend getting the system to a moderately-stable state and then napping.  Is there adequate space to lie down in this room?  Also check if it's easy/possible/safe to turn off the monitor.

But a "moderately-stable state" might be difficult with that second cursor having free reign.  At minimum, don't make "spare" Administrator's Stones at this time.  It's difficult enough to keep the second cursor away from one of them, and we've already been warned

WOAH. Okay, you probably shouldn't let these Stones near each other.

so yeah.  I'd suggest we offer the "not a stone" folder to the Necronomicon and see if it can recognize that there is actually the object of interest inside.  That'd tell us something about its scope of interaction with a computer, and whether we can hide things from it.  Either way, the end goal is to offer it the 1/4 Administrator's Stone on the condition that it not return it for the next several hours while we sleep.  If the Necronomicon can't keep something away from an errant cursor, what can?

. . . By the way, don't forget that "unknowable things from beyond your understanding" do not automatically equate to "evil," especially if the beings in question are beyond your definition of same.  If we're lucky, we can bump into material from The Shadow out of Time.  I couldn't even call that one a horror story: if Lovecraft was trying to make it "horrifying," he shouldn't have put in such a positive message of transchronal cooperation and scholarship.  Hmm.

Can we get off-campus access to the Great Race Online Library (GROL)?  They did finish digitizing, right?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:53:55 am by Sir Knight »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2018, 12:18:38 pm »

(Of course there was never a typo I have no idea what you're talking about, it always said 292)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2018, 03:43:32 pm »

Charles.
I'm just tired of this.
Of what?
You fix one problem, and another takes its place before you can even think about relaxing. You know, I'm sinking into this otherworldly nightmare, probably fighting for my life here...
But it just feels like work. The same old shit. Someone was too stupid to fix an easy problem on their own, so they let it fester until it became a BIG problem. Then it's my job to clean up all the messes. People treat me like I have magic powers or something, but most of the time I don't feel like I understand computers at all!
...Oh. Well, I don't know if I understand the feeling.
You wouldn't. You actually DO have magic powers. Or... you are the magic powers, I guess??
*sigh* Okay. Let's take inventory.

Hm.  Let's get some context for this ontological puzzle.
Try to remember something that happened yesterday.

First of all, the situation. You appear to have been disconnected from your former reality, along with the rest of the room's contents. Thankfully, this also appears to have closed the spatial rip inside of your computer tower, so neither the difficult-to-pronounce Horror from HR nor his employee can "contact" you. For now. As for your memories of yesterday, you're pretty sure you're not in some kind of timeless purgatory. Or at least, you haven't been in one for more than an hour or so.

Second, useful tools. Since you appear to be trapped in a place beyond space and time, you should probably take stock of what you managed to smuggle into this room before it became disconnected from the time stream.

You brought a laptop in here. It wouldn't be particularly important to you right now, EXCEPT Necronomicon.pdf (that is, Norman) is currently stored on it.

You still have some left over chicken from before, and you also brought a case of Ruby Red Squirt in here with you. It was formerly under your desk.

...You could really use some caffeine right now.

Okay!  I don't know anything about how files like "CoolCursors.RPM" should work, but check it for actually usable files.  If it's just a stupid animating ad, don't click its link.  Close and delete.  And I mean shift-delete that thing.

SHIFT-DELETED. You were really hoping this thing would have something useful in it, but it seems to contain nothing but malware. And it came in a pretty-looking treasure chest and everything! That's trojans for you.

Is there adequate space to lie down in this room?  Also check if it's easy/possible/safe to turn off the monitor.

You would really like to, but you have no way to be sure that something awful won't happen while you're asleep. Unfortunately, you're the only one with access to the white cursor, the only one who can defend against that green cursor.

Can we get off-campus access to the Great Race Online Library (GROL)?  They did finish digitizing, right?
Despite our apparent exile into an otherworldly abyss, trapped in a squalid office (without plumbing!), with a computer literally possessed of evil, in the prior episode we were able to access the internet using the smartphone.

See if we still can.  We might be able to enlist assistance from other tech monkeys.

Yeah, no. Your Internet Connection probably went out around the same time your Reality Connection did. Your phone and laptop are unable to connect now. At least you have the Hieronet, right...?

View help on the Stone.
I agree with viewing help on the stone.

Yeah, that would be the next logical step. This thing can probably do way more than you think.

So. The virus contained in CoolCurses.RPM seems to have changed the desktop background, and that's always 100% a good sign. BUT we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Let's open up the help file.

Huh. It's a normal .pdf file. Looks a little less... whimsical than you were expecting.

It does seem to be an instruction manual, focused on the usage of the Administrator's Stone. And it is SUPER dense. Three columns per page, and about 800 pages, minus the appendices. This is the kind of document that ctrl+f was made for.

ctrl+f "Expel To"

Got it! You found an explanation of the right-click menu.

I might know what you mean.
Hmm?
My former owners. The occult rituals I compelled them to perform. It frustrated them, sometimes. There were a lot of moving parts. Ingredients, intonations, hand signs... they often became very frustrated.
Maybe magic isn't so different from IT.
According to this document, maybe not. You called it a... "PDF"?
Yes, I did.
It's a bit like pages in a book?
Yes, like you.
This is it, then. The store of knowledge inside the Administrator's Stone, it's in this PDF. Do you have a way of, say, appending it to me?
I think I might be able to do that.

Spoiler: Documents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Programs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Forbidden Keypad
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2018, 03:50:06 pm »

Add the Help PDF to the necronomicon. Search "bay12 forums" on the heironet.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ugh, Internet Explorer has been nothing but trouble, can you move it and its shrotcuts to a quarantine subdirectory?
That thing probably counts as undead, but it could be a friendly virus? The noble bird shall guide us to the truth...

Fire is probably a counter to green, so do stab the green cursor with the flaming pitchfork if you get the chance.

Multi-disk zip the P.D.F. onto floppies, then shift it to the laptop, unless... No way the laptop has a floppy drive, unless Norman did something. We aren't going to have to try to network them are we? I really don't feel comfortable letting Norman and The Machine from Dell Problem Computer get a live connection. Everything leaving that computer should be given a full heuristic scan before reaching another machine, so a live connection would be bad... Not that dead data can be relied upon to be passive around here... But yeah, Norman is cool, let's give them the Admin manual.

I shouldn't need to say this, but keep the fire away from the tree. The worthy perch must not be harmed.

Maybe tux-daemon should go in the treasure-chest? Sealing Evil away never goes wrong! You could put the key at the end of a series of tasks of steadily-progressing difficulty!

Try to check of Linniks is safe now. Perhaps there was only the one Tux?

Have a quick look at the expanded desktop, just in case something has been growing up there...

Remember the quest! You are here to restore internet access to this corrupted horror. Surely getting this thing onto the internet cannot possibly be bad!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to check of Linniks is safe now. Perhaps there was only the one Tux?
NO We are having enough trouble with an operating system we halfway understand.  Let's not dredge up an arcane one from the heironet.  Also you saw how tux grew, linniks is probably just a dimension full of tux waiting to be summoned.

+1 to isolating and quarantining IE though.

Scryglass of X'tpylix and aura monitor the desktop, just to be sure?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30