Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Kill the Mayor - Exposition!  (Read 31599 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kill the Mayor - Dystopian Future roll to dodge/die
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

Inside. Inside my, my head - the pain! A thousand thousand spears, a host of daemons in my ears. I must get away.

Desperately leap forward, jab staff backwards as I run forward. Keep running, ignoring all sensory input, veering back to the water.

You attempt to leap forward, but the scream left you so disoriented that you can't tell for certain which way was forwards before you were on the ground. Regardless, you charge forward from your current position and thrust backwards as hard as you can with your staff. Not pausing to take stock, you keep running, blind in the truest possible sense.

Realising this isn't fun anymore, draw my knife with my left hand to dissuade my attackers. Also try to work out what the scream was.

[Char: 1+1-1, Crit 2]
You attempt to draw your knife as menacingly as you can to really drive the point home that you are a big scary man with a big scary knife and these lads are in for a shivving if they keep at it. As you reach for it you decide to show off a bit of your knifesmanship and give it a scary little twirl as you draw it. However, you fuck it up completely and the knife ends up jumping out of your hands and into the air, [Dex: 1, Crit 3] and you try to grab it out of the air as a cartoon character would try to grab a bar of soap, cutting your hands several times in the process. The knife ends up on the ground at your feet. Luckily everyone seems distracted by the scream. Speaking of, what is up with that? [Int: 3-2, Crit 3] You think about the scream. You think really hard. You think till your head hurts. Then you think some more. Your brain, grossly underprepared for this kind of hardship, begins throwing up nonsense to protect itself from the painful work your conscious mind is forcing on it. You, however, are not aware of that, and happily accept the answer of "whomst'd've screameth'd'st" as the source of the scream.
As you smile at your own genius at having figured it out, you notice that in the distance there are two nude men sprinting at you from the direction of the mushroom. They are fairly distant but you hear a sudden noise behind you and glance to see another two nude men charge at you from out of the darkness, along the shore. One has a skull-face and a spear, the other has a big cleaver-thing. But suddenly a tall, pale, helmeted man spastically rises from the ground and lands a very solid backwards jab in the spearman's kneecap, then begins flailing his way shorewards while the spearman goes down.

Figure out what's causing that unearthly screaming.

[Int: 1-2, Crit 6-2]
The poorly-oiled gears of your misshapen mind whir into what might be considered action by certain plants as you try to figure out the source of the scream. Under intense duress and time pressure, your immense logical faculty concludes that the scream must have been from the time you killed the guy who was staring at you, because you don't remember him saying anything when he died, and the reason the scream sounded so spooky is that it's his ghost who realised that he forgot to scream when he died and came back to sort that out. Satisfied with your answer you watch as two figures charge at you from out of the darkness, along the shore. They're extremely pale and rather short, with lean, corded muscle and an overabundance of scars. They are both practically naked, save for a few scraps of bone and metal around their respective waists. The one is wearing a skull-faced mask and carries a short spear, and has a long white beard knotted with small bones. The other is wearing a metal visor and carries a short blade made of a flat piece of metal crudely lashed to a pipe. A tall, pale, helmeted man on the ground that you hadn't previously noticed begins flailing wildly as the pair charge past, leaping up and jabbing backwards with his staff, clearly in blind desperation. However, by sheer luck he does this just as the pair are running past and the staff connects hard with the spearman's knee, and he lets out a cry of pain in a familiar-sounding voice as he crumples to the ground while the cleaver-carrier pauses in confusion. As you take this in, you hear rapid, distant crunching behind you and glance over your shoulder to see two similarly-outfitted men sprinting past the mushroom, still a fair distance away but closing rapidly.

Turn around and jump in fright at the screams while scrambling away out of fear

You turn around and jump in fright and begin running towards the mushroom, only to see two extremely pale, very thin men sprinting towards you, with crude weapons of some kind raised.

Attempt to regain control of myself so I am able to retaliate.

[Will: 5]
You snap out of your terrified stupor and get ready to defend yourself, and not a moment too soon! Two figures are sprinting towards you from the mushroom your left while another two figures are charging out of the darkness to your right! Your mind races, trying to calculate your odds, when suddenly the helmeted man you saw earlier rises from a fetal position on the ground and hits one of the figures, hard, before beginning a weird, stumble-running journey towards the shore. The one he hit goes down while the other pauses.

If I managed to escape, stop and inspect the surroundings.

You gradually slow to a jog, then a walk, and finally stop. You look around and listen intently. You can't see much of your immediate surroundings; it would appear that you're in the dark space between the light of three different mushrooms: two on the shore, and one further inland. However, even in this dark spot, you can see a little thanks to a grid of pale, hazy yellowish lights somewhere far, far above you. Much further inland there is a very distant glow, past a few more mushroom-y lights, that looks very different to that of the mushrooms. On the edge of the light from the mushroom you just ran from, you can make out a fight developing: two figures are charging away from you towards another group of about three or four people when one crumples to the ground, and another figure runs off shorewards. You think you can see two more figures also charging in, but from the other direction.

Continue hiding and observing the situation around me. Get up and run away if something dangerous approaches me.

You see two figures sprinting away from you and towards the glowing mushroom. It looks like some sort of fight is about to happen and they're rushing towards it, but you can't make out the details. Nothing dangerous seems to be coming towards you.

Hit it's ridge with my cane. If that doesn't kill it, poke it's eyes out.

You decide to eliminate the creature as a threat. You're certain the ridge is a weakpoint but you can't be sure that you're right about it being defensive and leaving you alone if you leave it alone. Acting decisively, you move to strike it with your cane.

COMBAT
[Corvald: 4+1 (Understands creature stance), Creature: 1

You quickly and sharply raise and then bring down your cane, striking dead and true in the ridge on the creature's back before it can understand that the situation has changed. You hear and feel something crunch and crack as your blow lands, and shards of a chitinous substance break off and float in the water. There is a series of loud thudding noises as it writhes around in the shallows, blood spraying from its back as its mouth convulses open and closed. It finally ceases movement aside from a few twitches as the pool of its blood spreads to about four meters in diameter, mingling with the blood seeping from the nasty gash on your left hand.
Something feels dangerous about your current situation.
Taking a quick look back at the beach, you see that the ambush has been sprung: four men are closing rapidly on the gathering from both sides. However, you see one of the four go down as the man in the snazzy helmet gets up and jabs backwards with his weapon before beginning an awkward run towards the water.

((New rule: from now on, please put your character's name in bold and underlined above your actions. It will make things a little clearer for me and means I can remember characters rather than forum names))
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:37 pm »

Hank:Rush the two figures and beat their faces in.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:24:33 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »

Eddie Bard
If things have calmed down around me, then get up and try to navigate away from everyone else, sneakily. If things are still hectic, then remain still and keep observing.
Insert witty signature here

Secheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:18 am »

Corvald
Welp.
Run back to the gathering and strike one of the naked men in the head with the cane.

DJDALA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 01:27:21 am »

Steeve
Sigh, how long have I spent constantly running from danger. Is it not time I stood up for myself. I increase my pace to a sprint and punch one of the men running at me

Monarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 02:29:13 am »

Scav:
Move to attack the cleaver-carrying man and puncture his head with my wrench spike while he's distracted by the spearman's predicament.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 03:12:02 am »

((May I join the waitlist? Here's the character I have in mind if I can:))

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:40:58 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:42 am »

((May I join the waitlist? Here's the character I have in mind if I can:))

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

((You may, but you'll have to change your perk slightly. +1 to all social rolls is basically an extra point of charisma. You'll have to narrow it down a bit, make it more situational e.g. +1 to bartering rolls.))

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2017, 05:40:36 am »

((Alrighty! Lemme change that real quick.

EDIT: Changed. Will that work?))
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2017, 08:19:32 am »

Try to stealthily hide as close as possible to the event. If successful, try to conclude what the hell is going on.

FunVake

• Bay Watcher
  • Adam kom Eerste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2017, 10:31:35 am »

Tablerace

Run until I hear splashes for a few steps, turn around and listen for more splashes, ready to strike
Tablerace 0

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 01:30:47 am »

((Alrighty! Lemme change that real quick.

EDIT: Changed. Will that work?))

((Yeah, should be alright. That coercing bonus will only come through when attempting to convince someone using force or threats so it's specific enough for me. I'll add you to the waitlist))

LugeTheHuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 08:43:14 am »

Bobross:

All of this is a lot to deal with in the space of a few seconds. Watch to see what's going on around me and ready myself for any possible attack.

CurlyWhirly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:55 am »

Can I please be added to the waiting list?
[spoiler][Character Sheet]

Name: Curly Fry

Skills:
Charisma: +2
Intelligence: +1
Physique: -1
Dexterity: -2
Agility: -1
Perception: +1

Perks: +1 to diffuse violent confrontations

Appearance: Small young woman who looks very non-threatening but sharp and calculating.

Condition: Slightly physically incapable but no missing limbs

Inventory: Rags, pepper spray

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2017, 05:18:03 am »

Scav:
Move to attack the cleaver-carrying man and puncture his head with my wrench spike while he's distracted by the spearman's predicament.

You make a snap-decision that the scary naked bone-covered warriors emerging from the darkness are probably more of a threat than the big man, so you move to attack the one still standing before he can compose himself.

COMBAT
Scav: 6+2; Tribal: 2+1, Crit: 2

As Scav moves to attack the cleaver-wielding man, the man once again raises his cleaver and begins charging to meet him. Scav, moving more slowly, has been readying his wrench and as he is approached, begins swinging it in a massive overhead arc. The cleaver wielding man's momentum doesn't permit him to dodge out of the way but he raises his cleaver to deflect the massive wrench. At the peak of the swing, Scav puts all of his might into bringing the wrench down. It crushes through the cleaver so completely that the blade comes unfixed from the handle, and the wrench continues spike-first into the top of the man's head. The spike, sharp as it is, and backed by a huge chunk of metal moving very fast, punctures the man's skull easily and continues onwards. There is the briefest jolt of resistance once the spike has fully penetrated before the rest of the wrench follows. The man crumples, but the wrench reaches the top of his neck before it stops -- the spike buried somewhere deep in his chest. Scav loses his grip on the wrench as its momentum carries it away from him, and it and the corpse both hit the ground, the wrench standing upright.

The man is very, very, very dead, but you've lost hold of your wrench.

Hank:Rush the two figures and beat their faces in.

Not sparing a moment's hesitation, you re-evaluate the situation and switch targets,  pushing past the man whose ribs you just cracked to charge towards the two figures who just emerged from the darkness. Before you can get there, the bush with a peg-leg explodes the head of the one carrying a cleaver with his wrench. Not much of a face left to punch in. That leaves just one... you run up to the one on the ground with the skull mask desperately clutching his knee. He sees you approach and looks at you through the holes in his skull-mask with desperate, hateful, watery blue eyes, and, seeing his fate approaching, tries to pull himself towards his nearby spear. As he moves his leg swings backwards the wrong way with practically no resistance and his eyes roll back into his head as his entire body goes stiff and frozen.
[Phys: 6+1+1, crit: 1+2]
You kick him onto his back and crouch down to see him foaming at the mouth. He can barely register your presence, eyes darting about in absolute pain and fear. You draw your fist back and bring it down, hard, on his face. And again. And again. The dead bone is crushed inwards until it meets still living bone, and blood seeps through the white-flecked wreckage. You keep smashing the pulp inwards till the gurgling noises stop, then stand back up, fists coated in the blood of two different men and flecked with the bone of three.

Eddie Bard
If things have calmed down around me, then get up and try to navigate away from everyone else, sneakily. If things are still hectic, then remain still and keep observing.

You can't make out any movement around you, and you can just see two men running down the beach towards the mushroom. One of them must have been the one who stepped on you. You can also see some violent action going on past that. You exit your hidey-hole.
[Agi: 1,2 T crit 6,6 T]
You begin moving sneakily away from the mushroom, but trip loudly on a small pile of flakes. Letting out a small cry as you land crunchily on the ground. The two men moving away notice and stop moving to turn and look at you. A moment later, the one on the right crumples to the ground and you see a small man standing a little further to the right. The one still standing turns towards the small man.

Steeve
Sigh, how long have I spent constantly running from danger. Is it not time I stood up for myself. I increase my pace to a sprint and punch one of the men running at me

You decide it's time to make something of yourself. You increase your pace to a sprint as the two men running towards you suddenly stop and turn around. Now is your time.
[Agi: 3+1]
You place your feet carefully as you run up to the men and manage to cover the distance before they notice. You are now directly behind them. Time to strike. Both have short spears and no clothing, only scraps of bone lashed around their bodies. The one on the left has long white dreadlocks and the one on the right seems to be wearing a mask of some kind.
[Phys: 3+1+1 (sneak attack perk)]
You choose the one on your left as your target. You increase your speed to a maximum as you pad up silently behind him, and perform a small leap for the final approach. You plant your right fist in the man's neck with all of your might, and you feel it make an impression in the flesh. You land and spin around to face the second man as the first crumples behind you, silently clutching his throat. He's down for now, but you can tell he's not permanently incapacitated, and the other has taken notice and begun to turn to face you.

Corvald
Welp.
Run back to the gathering and strike one of the naked men in the head with the cane.

You quickly flee the scene of your combat with the strange creature and slosh your way to the shore. Behind you you hear a large splash followed by a crunching and snapping noise. You glance back to see nothing but ripples. As you wade in, the mab with the helmet splashes his way out. By the time you reach the shore, cane raised for violence, all the naked men on this side of the beach are rather gruesomely dead. The cross faced man stands over one whose face he pulped while the unkempt man looks at the one whose head has been replaced by a wrench. Shuddering at the bloody scene, you turn your attention down the beach: the large man has picked up his knife and is looking around warily, while further on the small man has apparently taken down another of the naked men near to the mushroom. You've lost sight of the lost man though.

Try to stealthily hide as close as possible to the event. If successful, try to conclude what the hell is going on.

[Agi:4]
You sneak in quietly but decide not to take your chances and hide behind a flake pile a little bit further away than perhaps you could have. You can't really see anything of the fight you saw developing earlier though, just a lot of movement and some indistinct noise.

Tablerace

Run until I hear splashes for a few steps, turn around and listen for more splashes, ready to strike

You run in a slowly diminishing haze until your hearing picks up splashes and you feel water around your ankles. As you run, behind you you hear distinctly violent sounds: first a loud, wet crunch followed by a second, drier crunch, then a series of footsteps on the flakes, some sliding movement, then a series of dry crunches that slowly become wet thuds. You wheel about and raise your staff in a defensive ready position.

Bobross:

All of this is a lot to deal with in the space of a few seconds. Watch to see what's going on around me and ready myself for any possible attack.

You pick up your knife, wincing at the cuts on your hands, and cast about, knife at the ready. The people you were fighting have all buggered off though. As you face the shore you see some kind of ruckus has happened to your right and there's more people to your left, but you can't make out the details.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:00:18 am by Skullsploder »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15