Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring  (Read 12229 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 352LL
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2017, 02:42:18 pm »

The Swordholder looks at the knight.

"I am inclined to trust this man, and have promised him a position by my side. I have no reason to keep secrets from him. Though if you truly wish it, perhaps he could accompany us a few steps behind- provided he doesn't mind, of course."

"If you don't mind his presence, then by all means, speak. I have been Told to listen."
Long Live United Forenia!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »

"Indeed, I recall your family visited very infrequently when you were younger. My deepest condolences for their loss."
"If I may be permitted an introduction- I am Mavi Diventrade, master of the Hall and humble servant of the King. Anything you need, I am here to serve."

Await word of either the Challenger's defusal or potentially where he's been taken, based on the success of my network.
"Yes, it has been quite some time since I last visited these halls. And thank you, the passing of my father has been hard for my entire family. I know many would doubt my relationship with him,
 considering what happened at the end, but I still loved the man. As for your services, if you could have the staff continue provide refreshments to the assembled peerage here and help maintain an air of normalcy it would help greatly. I do not wish to cause undue stress upon my peers.
"
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »

The Swordholder's words bothered him, but he did not show it - he was too well-raised for that. "Very well. I leave it to your good judgment, master Constantine," and he added a respectful nod to the words.

The tone he continued in remained casual, as though he had not moved on to a more important subject but was instead still exchanging pleasantries. "I've spoken with the Baroness Gertasdottir. It is rather fortunate she was aware of your birth and believes she will be able to find documents proving it - I had heard, previously, that you were a commoner." In a purely observational tone, he carried on: "There are some who will doubt the truth of it, considering the timing and convenience of the Baroness' intervention; her reputation will not help your cause. That said, I knew of your father - I was acquainted with him, even, when I was quite young - and I believe I can recognize a Risstaner when I see one. It would be my honor to help you dispel those rumors when you defend your claim before the nobility."

He looked at the young man, there, evaluating his expression before continuing. "I am not offering this out of generosity. Although I believe all of the other candidates are worse, I frankly think you risk being inexperienced for the role. Divine purpose or no, there are others who will share my doubts. If you succeed, I believe you will need both advice an expertise, and I am aware that you have already accepted that service from the Baroness. With no desire to insult her good name, she is not known for her diplomatic talents; I think you will need someone else to serve as your Chancellor, and I also think that I am the man for the job." A pause there, for his words to sink in, before he continued: "Do we agree there?"

((with the assumption that a Chancellor would be in charge of diplomacy and foreign affairs, in this particular kingdom))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:15:21 pm by Shootandrun »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2017, 04:04:27 pm »

The Swordholder seems- for once- puzzled by Alric's admission of knowing his father, but understanding soon dawns. He nods thoughtfully.

"You are correct that I am inexperienced in matters of state, and it was always my intention to seek out assistance in a wide variety of areas. And certainly, if you were to testify on my behalf I would owe you a favour. That being said, I may be inexperienced, but I know better than to hand a job to the first person to ask for it. Perhaps a demonstration of your abilities would help me decide."

He waves a hand in the direction of their destination.

"The assembled nobility are, unfortunately, unlikely to enthrone me on the basis of a story and a sword alone. Persuasion will be required to make the unsure see the value in my acension. Fortunately, I have plans. After announcing my candidacy, I will speak with three groups of nobles, and I would be most grateful if you could assemble them for me."

He holds up three fingers and counts them off.

"First, the war-hungry, who seek glory in battle. Second, the pious, who fear for the souls of the kingdom. Third, the coin-counters, who place the economy before all other concerns."

His pace slows as they near the great hall.

"This is a lot to ask of one I have just met, but so is the position of Chancellor.", and then, echoing Alric's earlier words; "Are we agreed?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »

He nodded, easily, at the young man's list - as though the pretender was speaking of minor errands to be run in town by a serving man. There was an easy smile about him as he spun on his heels to face the Swordholder. "No. To do so would be equivalent to declare for you already; you would take my support for yourself without giving me assurance that it shall not be spent idly. Instead (...) well, I reckon I am the only one of your supporters who can offer what you ask. I will do this task, and if you are named king, we shall say my talents were aptly demonstrated by the success they brought about."

"If you find another suitable candidate for the role in the meantime and put them to the test with an equivalent task which they perform better than I do mine, then I will hold no grudge over the loss of the title. I will not, however, work for you here and now at the risk of losing the promised reward to whomever will flock to you after you have the crown."
He had a businesslike tone as he went on, apparently not at all offended by the man's previous offer - he sounded, instead, more like a merchant haggling for a price. "That strikes me as a fair deal, sir."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »

Mavi smiles brightly. "Naturally, my lord, I exist to serve. However if I may offer, after such a stirring speech regarding chaos in the halls and kingdom, and the firm hand required to lead... perhaps allowing a hint of danger to persist in the air would prove... advantageous?"
As he talks, he gives a wave and complex hand signal to a nearby servant, who leaves the room. Soon, goblets are once again being filled and ruffled lords coaxed back into their seats.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

And the angel spoke to him: "They Shall Come To Serve You."
"There Shall Be Traitors Among Them"
"Trust Those Who Know You, When Others Doubt"

The Swordholder pauses for a moment, a familiar faraway look in his eyes. His contemplation lasts longer than usual, to the point that it might seem he would never respond- but then he snaps back to attention.

"I was Told much of this day, yet this decision must be my own. And I decide to trust you, Alric Falbrand. I should share my name with you, though you may have heard it already."
"My name is Falsktnafn Svertharmathur, and I shall be king", he says with... not conviction, but certainty.

Falkstnafn extends a hand to Alric.

"I look forward to working with you."

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:57 pm »

Mavi smiles brightly. "Naturally, my lord, I exist to serve. However if I may offer, after such a stirring speech regarding chaos in the halls and kingdom, and the firm hand required to lead... perhaps allowing a hint of danger to persist in the air would prove... advantageous?"
As he talks, he gives a wave and complex hand signal to a nearby servant, who leaves the room. Soon, goblets are once again being filled and ruffled lords coaxed back into their seats.

Hardrick pauses and then nods, sharing Mavi's bright smile.
"Yes, that would perhaps be for the best. It would be good to remind them of the danger here, to help them keep on their guard, of course. If you could also help my men into the most visible positions, to make sure an ner-do-well will know this place is protected, that would be very much appreciated."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:22 pm »

Spoiler: Interrogation (click to show/hide)

Orzo made two separate trips that evening, delivering two identical sealed packages; one to Falsktnafn, one to Falbrand - both containing some very sufficiently legitimate, notarised documentation proving Falsktnafn's distant, bastardised royal lineage.  A third copy, the 'original', remained in Helga's possession.  Just in case.

Several hours after the little scuffle, Count Silfverstolpe might well catch sight of one Baroness Helga Gertasdottir approaching his seat at the high table.  His nearest drinking companion certainly would, as Orzo pulls the man's chair out from under him so the old woman can take his place next to Silfverstolpe.

"So nice of a young man to give up his seat for an old lady," says Helga without a trace of irony. "Haven't seen you around the castle since I could bounce you over my knee, Hardrick.  Or bend you over it," she cackles.

Intrigue? Action:  During the lull between events, procure a sleeping draught.  Not a poison, just something to help one sleep.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2017, 08:15:34 pm »

"I cannot exactly the same, yet, but I certainly hope you won't prove to be the disappointment I am expecting," in the tone of a man making a common, if slightly amusing, observation on the nature of life. As he spoke those words, Alric reached forward and shook the young man's hand, giving the gesture a weight that seemed at odds with his tone. "It is an honor, Falsktnafn. If I may, I suggest that you clear your schedule for the coming hours. I hear some people want to talk to you." And with that he took his hand back, spun on his heels again, and strode away.

Alric goes through the castle, speaking to nobility of import and announcing that he will be backing a Risstaner with evidence to be on a mission from God. Following the Swordholder's instructions, he will attempt to convince them to meet with the claimant in three groups (each one invited, independently, to speak to the claimant at a different time):
For the knights, soldiers and war hawks, he will put an emphasis on the martial aspect of the man and the fact that his claim to power lies in a unique runeblade.
For the pious and the faithful, he will speak of how the man was admitted to an audience with the Grandmaster, who did not reject his claim to have a divine mandate.
For the pragmatic and the fiscally minded, he will present the Swordholder as a claimant willing to rule by counsel, whose advisors can be trusted to protect the treasury's interests and the status quo.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:16 pm »

Hardrick manages to conceal his grimace as he takes a deep swig from his wine. He had...memories of the old bat, he was thankful that it was his brother who usually caught her displeasure more. Lenius had made running around the castle and fighting the other noble boys his game, Hardrick had charming the servants and trying to steal kisses from the girls as his.

"Ah, Lady Gertasdottir, it is good to see you looking as healthy and lovely as always. It has been far too long my Lady, far too long. What brings you to me, a poor count from the far end of the kingdom?"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2017, 12:37:39 am »

Mavi, his conversation partner deftly stolen, decides to go await his meeting in the kitchen.
However, he stops upon seeing the pair about to enter the hall.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:29:28 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2017, 08:53:42 am »

The Swordholder reaches the great hall, his entry going all but unnoticed- with a notable exception.

"Ah- we were supposed to meet in the kitchen. I'm afraid I may be late, for my list of people to speak grows faster than I can go through it. I have a minute now- though I have something rather important to do here."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2017, 09:12:19 am »

"In this room?" Mavi smiles disarmingly. "Whatever could it be?".

He gives a shrug, looking around the room "If you'll recall, I wished to speak there in order to avoid prying ears, however the hall here is clearly packed with them. If now is when you were planning to address the hall, our chance, as it were, may have been missed."

He looks across at the attending Constance and gives a short bow.
Lord Knight. I don't yet believe I have had the honor to know your banner.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:47 am »

"I see. I can tell you that if you sought to dissuade me, it would not have worked regardless. The will of god does not bend."

He looks across the room, one hand on his sword.

"If you have nothing you are willing to say at this moment, then it is my time to act. A pleasant day to you, sir. You may wish to stand back."

With a practiced motion, he draws his sword and raises it in the air. There is no time to react before the runes shimmer to life.

Heed, it whispered faintly- the effect diluted, perhaps by the number of people affected. Nevertheless, heads turned in the Swordholder's direction.

"With the consent of Grandmaster Pyoraxis, I come before you.", he declares in a commanding tone.

He strides forth, into the open space before the dais, the blade held high, the light dazzling the assembled nobility.

"Many years ago, I received this blade from the hand of an angel. And with it came a divine mandate."

God-Granted, murmurs the sword, lending subtle credence to the words.

"To unite the lands of Nordric, and restore them to glory!"

Silence, commands the sword, putting an end to (most of) the murmuring that greeted this declaration.

"I come to you as a servant; of god, this country, and all of Nordric. My name is Falsktnafn Svertharmathur."

True Name, the sword confirms.

"And I shall be king."

He Is The Rightful Ruler, whispers the sword, the thought so quiet and unobtrusive as to go all but unnoticed- yet it is enough to make the idea of a man in traveller's garb with a fancy sword claiming the throne seem, if not natural, then at least not ridiculous.

Make my claim.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15