Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring  (Read 12218 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 352LL
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2017, 10:32:34 am »

If it will bring you into the light as my apprentice, so be it. The fire burns away the darkness and the light shines on the truth.

As Lu said these words his hands burst into flame. He held them up, turned them over, and waved them a round a bit, mostly to emphasize the silliness of forcing an archmage to demonstrate that they can do magic.

Satisfied?

"Perfect, it does seem the essence of magic is really within the landed elite. Now before you go and study these arcane books, we should perform a collaboration that. It's that these may contain arcane knowledge not even you might know of. These are of ancient texts centuries past, if you will. We should both spend our efforts in trying to decipher meaning from these books."

Collaboratively Research the Arcane Books with the Archmage

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2017, 10:39:29 am »

After the spectacle has ended, Mavi is seen still leaning against the wall. He raises his eyebrows at Falsktnafn as though to say "Got time now?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:28 am »

Falsktnafn sheathes his sword and wanders over to Mavi.

"My business is concluded. The hall will need time to think over my words, and my next appointment must wait until the right people have been gathered. Now... I am hungry. Would you mind showing me where the kitchens are? Or should I find them myself?"
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:04 am »

"Naturally. Right this way."
So saying he sets off down a corridor, waving over a nearby attendant.
"Bring two of the guards from the hall to stand post outside the kitchens, and take another to join Fergus at the stables. Lord Silfverstolpe has added his men to the effort so don't hesitate to use them to fill the gaps, and get Dahlia to roster and billet the rest. Also, if someone doesn't tell me where the highland madman has disappeared to I will personally begin taking fingers. Dismissed."

"My apologies for that. Shall we talk?."

Edit: Servant orders
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:22:27 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

"Ah, my boy, it is you who have come to me.  An old woman can hardly be expected to traipse back and forth all the time from her estates, after all.  Better to remain here, where the hearths are warm.  But, as for why you might have come here, your place in the succession is well known.  I rather wanted to ask what you intended - "

She cut off as the Swordholder ascended and began his speech.  Throughout, she retained a carefully neutral expression, instead watching the reactions of the crowd and especially of Silvferstolpe.  When Falsktnafn stepped back down again, she picked up her prior statement.

"What you intended, indeed, to do about that."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2017, 01:20:39 pm »

Spoiler: Chatlog (click to show/hide)

After concluding his conversation with Mavi, Falsktnafn seeks out Alric, to learn where he should meet the various groups of nobles.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2017, 01:42:51 pm »

Similarly afterwards, Mavi sets off into the courtyard to try and find a shouting head servant and discover what exactly he saw regarding the takedown of a particular highlander.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2017, 05:30:28 am »

With the Swordholder

Master Constantine bowed his head at the Swordholder's promise. His tone was dark. 'Not a promise to be made lightly, sir. The Orcs have taken much from us.'

He trailed behind his would-be liege as he conferred with Alric. Already so many were trying to sink their claws into him. Courts were corruption and treachery. He would have to watch over his charge very carefully.

'We shall meet in the hall, Swordholder. Fare well.'

With Mavi

Constantine gave the man an appraising look and inclined his head. 'I rarely have the pleasure of meeting men who do not yet know our name. I am Master Constantine Logos Valerian, lord of the Knights Resplendent. Ours is a long and glorious history - but, alas, we have lost our Empire, and so must look for worthy masters elsewhere. I am afraid I do not know you either, sir...?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2017, 06:54:25 am »

"Just a servant, Ser Knight. Mavi Diventrade of Helmwood. Sadly my tale is less interesting, as I was raised here in the castle kitchens. Speaking of kitchens, will you be joining us?"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:06 am »

Constantine smiled tightly at the 'servant'. He'd met such unseeming men who held power beyond their station before. It would, perhaps, be wise to accompany the two of them for whatever scheming they had in mind, but the castle kitchens were hardly the place for a Knight Resplendent. He would not shame his colors with such sneaking about.

'I must decline. I wish you a bountiful discussion, sir.'

He had other matters to attend to, in any case. The Knights were far from home. He needed to understand this land better than he did. If he could help his liege-to-be doing so, all the better.

Mingle with assorted nobles. Look for fellow knights and other martial types. Try to get a sense of the realm's military situation and find out how they feel about the Orcs and their threat. Should the conversation turn to the subject of the Swordholder, speak in his favor. He will need the support of these men.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »

War of the Words....

Iituem

Intrigue? Action:  During the lull between events, procure a sleeping draught.  Not a poison, just something to help one sleep.
You manage to procure some of sleeping tincture. It will go down well with a drink if you were to add some before consumption.

Shootandrun
Alric goes through the castle, speaking to nobility of import and announcing that he will be backing a Risstaner with evidence to be on a mission from God. Following the Swordholder's instructions, he will attempt to convince them to meet with the claimant in three groups (each one invited, independently, to speak to the claimant at a different time):
For the knights, soldiers and war hawks, he will put an emphasis on the martial aspect of the man and the fact that his claim to power lies in a unique runeblade.
For the pious and the faithful, he will speak of how the man was admitted to an audience with the Grandmaster, who did not reject his claim to have a divine mandate.
For the pragmatic and the fiscally minded, he will present the Swordholder as a claimant willing to rule by counsel, whose advisors can be trusted to protect the treasury's interests and the status quo.

[10, 10, 9] Your words, both honed and seemingly heartfelt, strong and keen, pragmatic and idealistic rustle significant support for the hithero unknown claimant. He can count on a good reception to his words, once he stakes his claim.

Nuke
Make my claim.

[13 - critical success!] You make your stand and deliver your claim to the throne in front of the kingdom. The hall goes slient and and only hushed whispers can be heard as you slowly move through the crowd after the speech. The air is heavy with anticipation of the next event. Not long after you are swamped in the corridor with pats on the back, encouraging hurrahs and shouts invoking the Swordholder to be the next king It would seem that people took your claim seriously; some took it seriouly enough to leave the hall with frightened looks and seek out other candidates to save them fomr this big unknown. You have about a third of the people behind you.

mcclay
Have my guards go around and help the clergy keep order, providing a very public view of my power and me helping out. Also give a big dumb long speech in order to gain votes.

[8 - success] Your speech is altogether different from your opponent's. You speak with the authority of a son of this land, of a noble blood that has actual rights and power in this realm. As an existing lord of some renown, your claim is picked up immediately, with a sizeable group rallyin ot you as a safer and saner alternative to the unknwon usurper, whose only claim rests on a sword. A good third of the gathered rally around you.

Tack
Await word of either the Challenger's defusal or potentially where he's been taken, based on the success of my network.

[3+1+2=6 fail] Despte your efforts, someone is a step ahead of you, and as far as you have been made aware, the man has vanished from the castle, seemingly running away. You have no clue how that is possible however.

Robson
Exit stage left. Read the spellbooks.
shadowclaw
Collaboratively Research the Arcane Books with the Archmage

[10, 7] Together, you delve into the books and make some interesting dicoveries about the nature of magical power and elements that power spells. You know this is only a foundation work, but there are things beyond traditional worship that can give power to a mortal... (17/???)

DH
Mingle with assorted nobles. Look for fellow knights and other martial types. Try to get a sense of the realm's military situation and find out how they feel about the Orcs and their threat. Should the conversation turn to the subject of the Swordholder, speak in his favor. He will need the support of these men.

[4 - fail] You mingle and talk with the assorted men, but you gain little insight. Few want to talk with a southerner about military matters, let alone at the eve of the big events that are about to happen. You do ascertain that the kingdom could raise a sizeable host if all lords responded to the war summons, but that would require a strong king.

---

Last but not least, was Lord Baemund of Greenbrook. His supporters were the most numerous so far, and his appearance reflected that, even after others fell away to support the other two major candidates.

"Aye, some of you heard the others speak. Fine words they were, happy words, proud words. But words in the end are just that. Which one of these whelps can claim success on the field of battle? Which one of them can claim the biggest doamins in the country? Aye, the words they were speaking might be true, but there is little else to them.
The kingdom needs true royal blood. The blood of those that founded this kingdom and those who bled for it. The very earth beneath us is soaked with lifeblood of my ancestors, their weary bones resting here. It is them I honour, and it is their name I uphold.
Fancy blades might make a man into a killer, but do they make a king? The light of Ilos shines on us all equally, there is but one sun in the sky. I shan't besmirch my cousins, be they close or distant, but they should know when the elder of the family comes to take up his legacy and honour the tradition. Let it stand that I, Baemund of Greenbrook, of Greenbrooks past and of Daevini blood, claim the throne of the Daevini as their heir and lord of Nordric.
May Light of Ilos shine eternally upon this realm."

The speech is acclaimed among the gathered as the best one, for those who favour Baemund. Under a half of gathered nobles is on his side, which makes him the top candidate if no one else comes forward or defeats him.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2017, 04:28:39 pm »

And the angel Told him: "Offer Them War"

The hawkish nobles gather. Falsktnafn enters the room, and stands before them, drawing his sword.

"I am Falsktnafn Svertharmathur, and I shall be king. But I can understand that some of you have doubts. Who is this man, you ask. Can we safely hand the crown to an untried wanderer? I have gathered you here to assuage your fears. For it is my mandate to lead Nordric to glory, and I shall not accomplish this by lounging on a throne."

Heed His Words, the sword adds, in case anyone was not listening.

"Once enthroned, I have plans. I intend to have the crown subsidise the retinues of the nobility, providing them with equipment and training for a reduced cost. I will do this, because your troops will be needed in the years to come. For my reign shall be marked by the start of the Great Crusade."

The Holy War Is Coming

"I have travelled to the south, and I have seen the Orcs and their Grods. They are weak. There has not been a serious attempt to retake the south for humanity in decades, and they have grown complacent. They imagine their victory over humanity is complete, that those who remain are too pathetic to mount an opposition to them."

The Orc Belittles You

"Now, I am no tactical genius. Indeed, I intend to listen very carefully to the advice of others when it comes to military matters. But it does not take a genius to know that an enemy who thinks he has already won is substantially easier to defeat. They shall not notice our growing strength. They will not care when we test their defences. And when we launch the crusade, they will be unprepared."

The Orc Shall Fall

"And there will be soldiers aplenty. For the common folk will rally behind a king with a magic sword, and eagerly join his great crusade."

I Shall Bring Soldiers

"So do not fear. I am no weakling, I am a warrior- if I was meant to oversee peace, god would have granted me some other object, not a sword."

And the angel continued: "Offer Them Piety"

The faithful gather. Falsktnafn enters the room, and stands before them, drawing his sword.

"I am Falsktnafn Svertharmathur, and I shall be king. But I can understand that some of you have doubts. Who is this man, you ask. Can we safely hand the crown to an untried wanderer? I have gathered you here to assuage your fears. For it is my mandate to restore Nordric, and I shall not accomplish this by ignoring the souls of the people."

God's Servant Speaks, the sword adds, to focus the room.

"Once enthroned, I have plans. I shall see to the repair of temples and monastaries. I will restore lost rights, and bring the people to the faith. I will do this, because their piety will be needed in the years to come. For my reign shall be marked by the start of the Great Crusade."

The Holy War Is Coming

"For too long have we allowed the lands of man to fester in the hands of the Orcs. Temples have been defiled, ancient relics looted and stashed away in Orcish treasure troves. How can any man who calls himself pious allow this vile corruption to spread uncontested? When it comes to such matters, a failure to act is as good as tearing down the temples yourself."

The Orc Is A Blight On All Souls

"I am no Archmage. I do not know the mysteries of the Cult. It will be a priority of mine to find proper religious advisors to help me manage such matters. But I have spoken with an angel, and it has commanded me to act. So act we must. We shall strike against the Orc, and the people's faith shall be renewed by every victory. We shall recover the ancient relics, and entrust them to proper caretakers."

The Corruption Shall Be Purged

"And the faith will be restored. For the common folk will rally behind a king with a magic sword, and be reminded that god watches over them."

I Shall Bring The Faithful

"So do not fear. I am a man of faith- a servant of god. My hands are theirs; I shall do their work."

And the angel finished: "Offer Them Prosperity"

The pragmatic gather. Falsktnafn enters the room, and stands before them, drawing his sword.

"I am Falsktnafn Svertharmathur, and I shall be king. But I can understand that some of you have doubts. Who is this man, you ask. Can we safely hand the crown to an untried wanderer? I have gathered you here to assuage your fears. For it is my mandate to guide Nordric, and I shall not do this by squandering wealth."

Listen, the sword says, simply.

"Once enthroned, I have plans. Whilst I do not intend to bankrupt the crown, nor do I intend to hoard wealth. I have many projects in mind, including laying roads, digging irrigation, and building markets. And I shall listen to the advice of those with more experience than me, to compensate for my weaknesses. I will do this, because our economy will need to experience rapid growth in the years to come. For my reign shall be marked by the start of the Great Crusade."

The Holy War Is Coming

"I am a servant of Truth, so I shall not lie to you; the crusade will cost money. But think of it as an investment- for there is much fertile land to be conquered, and as soon as we capture an Orcish settlement, its wealth becomes ours. All the many human treasures they have stolen and hoarded shall pay for the war. I have travelled to the south, and I have seen the orcs trade- I saw priceless artifacts bartered in exchange for human slaves. They are sitting on mountains of wealth that rightfully belongs in the hands of men."

The Orc's Wealth Is Forfeit

"What's more, consider the benefits of a crusade when it comes to motivating people. Ordinarily, why does a peasant farm? To feed his family, and nothing more. Taxes are paid begrudgingly, and fields lie fallow if he is fed already. But during a crusade, every man in the kingdom shall know his purpose. The farmer knows that his crops feed the soldiers who fight for justice, and will work twice as hard to ensure their success. No blacksmith will ever sit idle when they could be forging arms for the crusade. And there will always be work for them to do, since the crusade will need feeding and arming. And so the wheel of wealth spins, and the country prospers."

They Shall Work Hard

"And the people shall believe in the crusade. For the common folk will rally behind a king with a magic sword, and will pay their taxes without complaint."

I Shall Bring The Harvest

"So do not fear. I am no wastrel, I am a builder. The kingdom shall prosper under my watch, even as we strike against our enemies."

Speak to the nobility, using my sword to amplify the effect of my words. Important points:
-Gonna spend money on that thing you like. (Army, cult, economy)
-Gonna take advice from people like you.
-Gonna launch the Great Crusade, and you're going to love it, since it will bring (Glory, piety, wealth)
-Have I mentioned this magic sword? The common folk are going to love this thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:30:38 pm by NUKE9.13 »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »

"Ah, my boy, it is you who have come to me.  An old woman can hardly be expected to traipse back and forth all the time from her estates, after all.  Better to remain here, where the hearths are warm.  But, as for why you might have come here, your place in the succession is well known.  I rather wanted to ask what you intended - "

She cut off as the Swordholder ascended and began his speech.  Throughout, she retained a carefully neutral expression, instead watching the reactions of the crowd and especially of Silvferstolpe.  When Falsktnafn stepped back down again, she picked up her prior statement.

"What you intended, indeed, to do about that."

Hardrick snorts and takes a deep drink of his wine, watching the Swordholder with interested eyes. Once the man's speech is done he sets down his cup and turns his full attention back to Helga, carefully keeping any emotion besides amusement from his face.
"I intend to beat him. He may have managed to woo some of the nobility on his side with that sword of his. But that sword is all he has. No doubt he will make wild promises and claims,
 but they have nothing behind them. He is unknown, of peasant blood and by all rights should not be here. I will ally myself with him if I need to and, Illos Protect Us, he does become King I will faithfully swear allegiance to him. Honestly, he would be better than that Baemund fop. But rest assured, I do not intend to lose to either an upstart or a glutton.
"

Later, after the speech, Hardrick approaches this Falsktnafn.
"Ah, Swordholder! Your speech was wonderfully done! I must congratulate you on that, you speak better than many of the Gentry here! Come and drink with me, the claimants should have time to discuss things among themselves. Many a war was prevented by warm words over a hearty drink!"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:46:11 pm by mcclay »
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »

"Three Claimants Will Contest You"

The Swordholder regards Hardrick stoically for a moment, before replying.

"Very well, Claimant. I will listen. Speak."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:28:27 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »

Mavi, now a suitably nervous wreck, returns to the hall to think. Without some kind of clue, he's held fast against any reasonable actions, and especially against talking to Helga.
No sense in revealing his empty hand to the old wolf, even if they are meant to be on the same side.

Leaning affably against a wall specifically chosen to be far away from the doors and windows, he waits and listens, ready to attend to the needs of the gathered nobility.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:43:13 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15