Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami  (Read 44442 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2017, 05:04:23 am »

So, I finished one playthrough.

Gotta say, it feels a lot like the game is missing some meat, it's solid for what it is, and it's great fun playing those last-second escapes out a window or cleverly using the random tools you have to succeed in what seems like an impossible task, but it's sorta... Binary? You just can't do a lot of things without tools, if you don't have a stealth shield/key cloner, then you can't really stealth properly, and if you do have them then the number of guards in any group is basically meaningless, even with heat sensors, I've started to try playing characters while buying as little as possible form the shops to try and limit myself.

And the guards just seem so unresponsive, I'd like there to be a mode where they react a bit more unpredictably, because otherwise it almost feels unfair with any gear past the absolute minimum you'd need to progress through a mission, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) the non-lethal option seems so meaningless, knocked-out enemies don't wake up, enemies don't respond differently to corpses, all the non-lethal weapon equivalents function almost the exact same apart from minor factors (Knockback with the concussion hammer) and apart from very specific circumstances it doesn't need any change in your playstyle at all.

What I'm talking about would probably mean an entirely different game, and I get that, it's just that the actual game feels so much like a big tutorial before it opens the floodgates for the really cool stuff, I'd like for ships to have control panels you can mess with, some ships that have teleport dampeners, I'd like a ship with a big heat sensor radius that's surrounded by small patrolling fighters that you need to carefully jet through with a minimum of power, there's just so much stuff I'd like to see that it's killing me.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2017, 07:21:44 am »

One of the prerelease videos I thought I recalled watching ages ago seemed to imply that the various factions would try to retake their outposts. That would have made for an interesting mechanic.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:53 am »

Also if I find "nothing special" one more time, man... I only retire self-charging master pieces, like a remote, restockable nade, self charging everything.... and I keep finding this dinky useless sword.
Heh, sorry about that. It was a sentimental piece; I was playing a dual swords character for that run, and I have unlocked AP swords yet. As the name says, it was Nothing Special, but it got me through that character.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:46 am »

Would be nice if one could add some fluff text, for just such cases.

A little bug (?) - if you have a assassination target and you cut the targets ship-part off the main ship (I greatly recommend restockable breach lauchers or and self-charging-remote laucher, since you can spam invinite nades), the mission will fail if the main shop reaches the station, even if you have the target in a little wreck, far away from the main ship.

Lauchers-only is a fun challange, I mostly miss the slip-streams to make them work better and the teleporters to get out of sticky situations.

Edit: I perished, my ship was un-controlable for some reason - would be polite to provide a message when it is destroyed or to damaged to be used, it came out of nowhere for me this time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:29:38 am by ThtblovesDF »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2017, 10:53:49 am »

Nothing Special is going around like a bad case of Lover's Pox, it seems. I come across it with almost every character. That and Hasty Exit seem to be the player items I get most often.

EDIT: And Orange Psalm has been rescued! Time to take out the last stronghold and do everything again in a new galaxy!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:12:56 am by Man of Paper »

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2017, 06:45:49 am »

I just bought this game and played for a hour.

I saw a random ship and decided to board it. On it I found Everything gun. It is a shotgun that uses guns, wrenches etc. that lay on the ground as ammo. That is a really fun gun. Although it is hard to use effectively and I have knocked myself out with ricocheting wrenches a couple of times.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:37 am »

If you throw a gun against a wall it will fire a bullet - if you want you can throw a gun, teleport a gun to you, throw it [Repeat] to fire the entire ship into a room.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:12 am »

I got tired of a character's repeated failures and sent them into an audacious "steal x" mission with nothing. They were successful. Picked pockets and Solid Snaked my way through a bigass Glitcher ship.

I've also gotten to understand the weaknesses of the Glitcher and Forge ships more than the others. Glitcher ships are easy to disassemble, and the Forge ships have engines that are usually easy to separate from the ship. Forge ships do tend to have more large open rooms in my experience, which can be good or bad depending on your playstyle.

Also of note, with my experience, Heat Sensors are great for luring people to side rooms and out of rooms where guards are packed up. They've been more beneficial for me than the guys using them, it seems.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2017, 09:13:37 am »

I just picked the game up, feel free to add me on steam if you like!

Quick question, I somehow managed to accidentally retire a character and I wasn't sure how it happened. Are there some stations that auto-retire your current character when you liberate them? I was a bit confused by what happened, because I accidentally clicked on a station in the liberation screen and the game immediately sent me on a mission as a different character and when I was done I was on a different station with the new character. My old character shows up as retired.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2017, 09:23:11 am »

Hm, your old character shouldn't show as retired. When you click on a station you liberate it gives you a challenge mission with another character that wishes to prove their loyalty. Still not 100% on what they provide, other than some say they unlock special characters. When you return to the station with them it'll retire the character for that challenge. When you're picking the characters again ones with blue dots next to the name are ones you've played as before, and once of those should be your guy.

If not, it's a bug and you may want to report it.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2017, 09:35:09 am »

Probably just a misunderstanding on my part then, thanks for the information!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2017, 11:36:00 am »

Mhm! Another good thing to remember is that you can manually shut down turrets with the Use key (e by default). Don't get shot at with your back to a window, either. Let's see, some other good tips I've picked up...

I'm slowly getting more and more into the pause game. Sidewinding behind someone, pausing immediately, picking the key from their pocket, pausing immediately again, and sidewinding out of sight can do you wonders. It's very good for bypassing guys with armor or always-on shields who have keys you need.

Don't underestimate the room-clearing power of dual-wielded weapons. The character I had with two Quick Guns, which I eventually got to replace with Quiet and Silent versions, blew through just about everything. Add a slipstream, and he was untouchable.

Speaking of slipstreams, remember that you keep momentum for a moment after it wears off. I've gotten myself in trouble a few times when running at high speed, having it wear off, and sliding into a room full of unhappy mens.

Check the new characters whenever you dock, just because sometimes there'll be some badass there with a neat loadout you might want to use later. If you pick a character they'll stay until they're dead, captured, or retired, even if you never leave the station with them. That's actually what I did to make sure I could play as the guy with the twin guns.

If someone with an emergency shield spots you before you can take a shot, chances are the shield will activate before they get hit. At least, I have piss luck when it comes to those things activating just before a bullet hits. It's best to just dip around a corner and hide until the shield drops, then come up behind them.

Some basic advice, but maybe some of it will help someone. I'm sure I'll come across something while I play that I forgot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2017, 02:56:10 pm »

Those emergency shields come on fast. If you can't sneak up on someone wearing one, probably shouldn't bother with any sort of direct attack.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2017, 03:01:56 pm »

You can still have some success diving into a group of emergency shields, if you're super fast. Carrying like 4 wrenches helps. As does having a super shotgun, though that might invite getting hit by your own bullets.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

You can solo any ship if your stealth shields = enemy groups

You can solo any ship if your Slip streams = Enemy groups

Same for - Slip Streams = Enemy groupsx2

These 3 items are easily the most op in my opinion and it can be more fun if you avoid them - its funny to just walk straight though the entire enemy ship on slowed down time, "Hey don't mind me, taking this key, taking this guy, just walking out, your notice-bar won't fill up anyway, dup di du", but doesn't feel right.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23