Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami  (Read 44385 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:07 pm »

A new game on steam caught my eye today, Heat Signature. It would be best described as some sort of hybrid between Hotline Miami and Superhot in space.

Features:

It is a roguelite game, you pick one the random characters offered to you and then take on missions that involve boarding a ship and completing an objective through stealth and/or violence and/or destruction.

You can pause the game at any time to quickly and accurately chain actions like dashing to an enemy to stab him followed by throwing the sword at another guy. Time slows down when enemies spot you and you can dodge bullets.

Weapons and gadgets can have certain modifiers making them more powerful/interesting. You unlock more items and more modifiers for the items in stores by taking over stations belonging to other factions.

Some of your stuff can be found by your friends. If you lose by getting your character captured, people on your friend list may get a mission to rescue it and then get that character and its items(if I understood how it works right). You can also retire a character and in doing so rename on of its items and save it so it will show up in future games and your friends' games.

You can punt people into space through a ship's window.

8 Hours into the game I'm having a fair bit of fun. I'm not too sure about its longevity since the gameplay seems somewhat repetitive and there doesn't seem to be much of an end-game, but the gameplay itself is fun enough that I'll likely return to it now and then even if the devs don't add more content.

Launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgjEMIqRO4
Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268130/Heat_Signature/
Official page: http://www.heatsig.com

There's a sort of special "thank you" event going on until october 5th in which you can unlock a unique gun, this dev video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yUPIElOdfA
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:48:29 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:18 pm »

This looks heckin' cool!
Screenshots remind me of an odd dream I had once, actually.

Definitely going on my wishlist. I like the sound of the metagame, too - that sort of thing always holds my attention, even when a game gets repetitive. :)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:11:25 am »

Already played 4 hours, completed multiple personal missions. My most successful character started off with a self-recharging automatic rifle... which is awesome; if most enemies don't have shields, you can just tear through them without noticing.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »

As soon as I saw a video on it, I thought "Tactical Hotline Miami in Space".
I paused the video, bought it, and went back to watching it  :P
Should be playing it soon! Looks great. Although it would be awesome if there was some sort of space combat!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:32:00 pm »

While space combat sim is one of the things that Heatsig is not, there can be missile flying around between enemy ships, and you can shoot them yourself if you hijack one. :3
If you want to see lots of explosions, look for a mission which says "Warzone".

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:46:32 pm »

I think this is an automatic purchase for me.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »

Dev from Gunpoint? Sold.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:16 pm »

I had an interesting ship assault once. I had to capture someone, and I had just infiltrated the ship, knocked out one of the enemies, gotten their key and hid the body. "This should be easy," I thought.

The ship proceeded to slam into another ship and get completely disintegrated, knocking me out of the ship, killing my target, and sending a thin sliver of the remains of the ship spiraling into the void.

I was slightly upset.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »

I have found possibly the best piece of kit ever: a self-charging, reusable teleport trap.

Do you have a lot of guards to deal with? Do they have shields or other annoying, dangerous things? Plant the trap on their patrol route, set the teleport destination outside the ship. Laugh maniacally as they step onto the trap one by one and are teleported instantly into deep space, doomed and damned. About the only times it isn't useful is on bloodless missions.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:49:36 pm »

Even then, if you have the Angel pod, you can probably save them one they get popped out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:06:32 pm »

Another great piece of kit: the self-charging subversive grenade launcher. Hacks turrets, inverts enemy shields. The grenades are set off remotely, so you can set traps. The grenades are also sticky, and can be picked up and passed around by guards. The explosions are also totally silent, so even detonating the grenade in a room full of guards won't alert anyone.

The character that has this grenade launcher (and the previously-mentioned teleport trap) has just completed his personal quest, and I plan to retire him and pass on one of his great items. Which one are people more interested in?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:16 pm »

Self-Charging stuff is always great. I got a selfcharging sidewinder once and pretty much danced around everyone. :D

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 01:16:17 pm »

Indeed, self-charging is great. Had a character with a self-charging quiet concussive gun, but more importantly a self-charging stealth shield. Considering her personal mission was a time-limited, capture the target very large ship where there were tons of clusters of constantly-shielded guards, without that stealth shield she wouldn't have been able to retire happily.

(Still a few mishaps along the way, of course, but managed to reach the pilot in a mad dash with 5 seconds left. Still had further mishaps after that, but succeeded with only moderate embarrassment.)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 01:59:07 pm »

I love how this game handles attacks and weapons; I had a Sovereign ship where all the guards were equipped with teleporters, and two rooms of guards, one of which had the key to the next series of rooms. There was a turret in the key room, and instead of risking the run along the corridor, I began to stockpile some weapons in a corner near the rooms. Armed with a few swords, and not much else, I shot a gun in the air, which alerted all the guards, and they teleported around me. I went to town with my swords, jumping around, switching between weapons, taking out about 6 guards before I ran out of guns, my item teleporter didn't reload fast enough, and I got tagged in the back by one of the last guards.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 03:03:25 pm »

Indeed, the game is awesome. If anyone wants to add me on Steam so we can risk recovering stuff from each other, it would be awesome!
I got too attached to my first character and got really nervous as now he'll instantly die on the next injury. I couldn't finish his personal mission, so I'll keep him on the bar until I feel skillful enough to do it. :P

The silliest thing I did yet was accidentally using a teleporter to space, which got me weirdly stuck. Even though the game behaves awkwardly, you can use your pod to catch yourself.
There's so many ways to murder everything save the galaxy, it's great!
First char was a hacker/stealth/ninja. Now I'm gonna try a non-lethal char. Then a reckless, explosive one.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23