Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41

Author Topic: Sindari: Immortals-OOC  (Read 36190 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sindari: Immortals-OOC
« Reply #390 on: May 02, 2018, 05:21:42 pm »

Something funny. In an attempt to determine whether Chubby just pulled the name "Sindari" out of his hat, I punched it into Google. Now read this page and scroll down and try not to laugh at the headings that Ancestry generates. Turns out they're a real family from London.

I also found a WoW profile and a small town in India.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 02, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »

I got a lot of similar stuff when I googled "Adjilia". Lots of Indian people.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »

there's also the Sindarin from LotR which i thought was the obvious reference
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2018, 09:01:22 pm »

Hm! In that case, though - where the hell does "Cisharni" come from?
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2018, 10:26:20 pm »

Here's the draft of post. Anyone see any issues before I post it?

Spoiler:  Wavebringer (click to show/hide)

Wavebringer went to support the troops outside of Dragon's Tooth. He knew the fortress would likely fall, so he made sure he always had a path of retreat. But while he could he would defend against the enemy's magic and call down lightning on the Cisharni mages and Spartans.

Wavebringers soul gem budget:
5 gems reserved to cover his retreat.
Up to 30 gems for defensive and offensive magic.
Any remaining gems are to be stored where the other Sindari can get them if he dies.

Notable skills:
Counter magic 2
Counter counter magic 4
Lightning magic 13

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:47 am »

I did kind of pull them out of a hat, though I was trying to evoke thoughts of the Sindarin from LOTR. I think I decided on the name of the game first, and then used that to make the lore.

Elves weren’t really the inspiration, though. I think at the time I was thinking of how to do a vampire game well, and how to reflect character growth over decades of time. Vampires would have worked fine, but wasn’t super committed to it and I wasn’t sure how to best represent feeding and such.

It was originally just going to the Cisharn, to kind of show that they were different from the Sindari and suggest they perhaps have a closer relationship with their God/Father, but players mentioned that was kind of confusing so I changed it to Cisharni. Cisharn kind of came from an antagonistic magic school in a fantasy series.

Also will try to wrap up this first year and the siege this weekend, if you don’t post I’ll adsume that means you made the wise decision to avoid this fight :P
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 03, 2018, 09:07:49 pm »

Is "absolutely terrified" an appropriate response to the last words of the above GM post?

I'll try to pull some minor intervention stuff with either future-telling...or I'll go boots-on-the-ground as it were and get close enough for telepathic shenanigans.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2018, 09:11:41 pm »

I'd like to stray out, but I'm our best fighter while Flak is regenerating.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2018, 10:10:04 pm »

Is "absolutely terrified" an appropriate response to the last words of the above GM post?

I'll try to pull some minor intervention stuff with either future-telling...or I'll go boots-on-the-ground as it were and get close enough for telepathic shenanigans.

Try 'deathly mortified' since it just may be extremely justified...

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:43 am »

Also will try to wrap up this first year and the siege this weekend, if you don’t post I’ll adsume that means you made the wise decision to avoid this fight :P

It really looks like he's trying for a Tonight, Someone Dies.

Seriously, though, the GM hinting directly to the players that this isn't something you can take on? I feel as if this is one of those things he mentioned that we have to outthink and not overpower.

Although that warning might be aimed only at me for being a new character.

codybob1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Quis custodiet ipsos Renegade?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:00 pm »

I did kind of pull them out of a hat, though I was trying to evoke thoughts of the Sindarin from LOTR. I think I decided on the name of the game first, and then used that to make the lore.

Elves weren’t really the inspiration, though. I think at the time I was thinking of how to do a vampire game well, and how to reflect character growth over decades of time. Vampires would have worked fine, but wasn’t super committed to it and I wasn’t sure how to best represent feeding and such.

It was originally just going to the Cisharn, to kind of show that they were different from the Sindari and suggest they perhaps have a closer relationship with their God/Father, but players mentioned that was kind of confusing so I changed it to Cisharni. Cisharn kind of came from an antagonistic magic school in a fantasy series.

C2, That scares me IC and OOC

It really looks like he's trying for a Tonight, Someone Dies.

Seriously, though, the GM hinting directly to the players that this isn't something you can take on? I feel as if this is one of those things he mentioned that we have to outthink and not overpower.

Although that warning might be aimed only at me for being a new character.

Nah C2 doesn't try and pick on new people
Please don't revive Dan, they have suffered enough.

Edited for possibly misgendering a fork.
The wheels of progress frozen motionless/Unless we thaw all these unspoken spokes/Then death is coming home/The wheels of progress frozen motionless/Unless we thaw all these unspoken spokes/Well then we're going home

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 04, 2018, 01:01:43 pm »

SM and I will be in Disney over the weekend. Considering that I already stated my method of involvement, is there anything that I would have to do about this?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 04, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »

Can I get a brief set of opinions as to whether it's worthwhile for me to actually enter China right now?

Otherwise I'll just attempt to scan the near future instead.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »

Reply hazy, ask again later.
(My opinion is *shrug*)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »

I need to post my action. Glass, remind me please.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41