Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40132 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #585 on: August 25, 2017, 09:30:42 am »

Allright, propose a design(future design) for modifying trees to make them better for our purposes.

... I kinda like the idea of carnivorous trees that would eat any humans that come through their forest. The League would not like that one bit. That's what we call a "nasty surprise".
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2017, 09:31:27 am »

It's also something that we can not do.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »

Project: The Shaper of Many

The Queen has taken your design and set to work producing the Shaper of Many, her first daughter and the first Princess of the new age.  The core Queen design is preserved, with minor overt changes; mid-limbs moved and modified to provide a second set of graspers, fine control and dexterity adjusted to said forelimbs, to allow for more direct manipulation of physical assets than the current Queen.  Environmental resistance is sacrificed; the Shaper's sharpened senses grate aggreivously when heat and moisture are out of kilter, requiring a controlled underground environment.  Metabolic demands go up as well; the Queen devotes less energy to egg production than drone modification and sustaining her primary modified attribute; her brain.

The Shaper's brain is slightly larger than that of her mother, but the main change is personality-based.  The Queen gives the Shaper an obsessive attention to detail, improved retention, clearer recall and a sustained capacity for focus.  The Queen did not see any benefit to including the empathy portions of the Thinker design in the Shaper.

The new Princess (un-named, save for the titles of Shaper and Princess) has a relatively slow maturation process; it will take one or more years for her to reach maturity and be ready to establish her own Hive.  During this time the Queen will school her in needed information and skills, indoctrinate her in the running of a Hive, and ruthlessly enforce loyalty.  If this Shaper is found wanting, the Queen will kill her and birth another, a fact of which the Shaper is well aware.

The young Princess does show a remarkable aptitude for drone design, although she seems less enthusiastic about the idea of spending eternity in an environmentally-controlled cave spawning drones.  In these early stages of training, she is still allowed a degree of free time, which she spends contributing to the Thinkers in their project.

You receive an Effectiveness Advantage, to be spent when you will.  Long-term effects will not be known until the Princess is settled into a Hive.

Unfortunately, RL intervenes yet again!  I'm running the prototype version of my RL business this weekend, so I'm afraid the actual turn shall not happen until Monday, most likely.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 27, 2017, 08:41:57 am »

Put some thought on this "shaped" bones idea

Chitin-wooden tools and weapons
Workers posses a variety of natural tools that are well suited for most tasks. Yet sometimes something more specialized is required. Creating a specialized drone for every manual task looked like a waste of time in the many eyes of the freshborn princess. No, she knew the answer. They must do something that her mother never considered. Create tools. Sure, workers already do some crude tools but stones and bones lack necessary properties. Princess found the solution. She proposed a new type of civilian only drone: Chitinsmiths. This new drone is a simplified worker with a new reinforced chitinous armor. But instead of using properties of the new type of chitin to create a matching armor, through careful manipulation of drone's movements, hormonal releases, symbiont effects,  and other means, new drones are capable to produce pieces of chitin of desired shape, density and hardness. As a proof of concepts, Princess starts with an axe, a tool for cutting trees and humans. Long(for a worker) wooden handle with a chitin axehead on top. Axehead has a sharp chitin blade on one side and a spike on the other. (Desired design effects: Better tools overall, increased timber production, new worker(axe) subtype of unit with some additional timber and manpower cost)

I don't like it much myself, I mostly want a way to use timber, not another way to spend food.

I think the easiest way to start spend timber is a single revision like this.

Armed worker revision
Hive starts to arm its workers with wooden weapons to hit humans and parry their spears. There are no centralized production or predefined designs. It is something workers produces in their spare time between battles. Sometimes it is a mere club, sometimes it is a sharpened stick, sometimes a flat piece of used as shield. Occasionally more refined weapons are produced like stone maces, clubs with spikes made of recycled chitin or short spears that use trophy spearhead.

It should be totally doable as revision and will give some use to timber.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:05 am »

I like the armed worker improvement.

I envision our society to become industrial at one point i think if we gained bronze weapons and armour we could eadily outdo them by creating a species of factory workers mass producing cheap armour and weapons. Since we can also change the body of our beings we could create highly specialized weaponry for our guys.

Think of strong arms with many hands to hold heavy blades so our warriors become whirlwinds of destruction.
Think of helmets that gather spit to release a huge amount at once in high velocities.
Think of a standarized armor set for all of our guys.

If we stay small but increase the efficiency of our muscles we can hold heavy equipment at ease.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 27, 2017, 03:50:43 pm »

Not trying to complain or judge or anything, just sharing some thoughts.

If we can do insect robots then they can probably do magic robots. Or just burn civilians. It is not a bad idea but it is not necessarily going to outcompete The Plague.

I do not get the impression that we are overly swift. "Whirlwind of destruction" implies speed to me. I wonder if perhaps we would be better off with novelty-sized hammers for smooshing vermin... Or perhaps some sort of sticky tether, or hooked or looped or tangling or something... It could latch onto a food and pull it into our ranks for a "divided they fall" effect... At the lest it would probably be more effective to get big swords rather than numerous swords to take advantage of longer weapons obtaining more speed at the far end...

Metals tend to do poorly when in contact with acids, and we can make carapace helmets for the same effect. Unless they are disposable/replaceable helmets that are used as some sort of acid-filled pressure-rocket? They could probably be treated with something to last a little while...

Standardised armour is sort of a bad thing. Everyone knows exactly where the weak points are. It is great for production and reliability of unit cohesion, but the former is massively inferior to the ease of carapace production and the latter only applies when you have human civilians all making their own armour set, carapace is consistent enough that we won't be having issues that one would have if everyone is stealing each other's sauce-pans to use as helmets and one guy has half-a-door strapped to his chest and another is wearing a few layers of old leather aprons while the next has nothing... Armour certainly could help, especially against arrows and javelins, but carapace will almost certainly always be much much much cheaper than anything else for the protection it provides, and we can make it thicker if we need more. The only real advantage I can see to metal armour is reducing bulk or being discarded.

Being small implies being light, and being light while carrying something heavy tends to result in flipping over. We could try something like counter-weights so that the centre-of-gravity is always near the wielder, but, well, it is difficult...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 29, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

Year 305

Hinting at further changes within the League itself, the League deploys many more trained spearmen than slaves this year.  The Hive seems to have produced no truly new designs this year, but a larger number of the cat-sized acid-vomiting 'hunters' are spawned this year, moving faster than before and possessing much smoother, less clunky chitin armour.

The Hive pushed forward with devastating effect this year on all fronts, though narrowly on the third front; had they not redeployed the spitters to pushing the line back to Nippi, the additional troops sent from Kroton to defend the town's border would have been enough to push the Hive back.  As it was, the spitters prove to be a deadly retort.  The fort of Oracuse is lost, and the 2nd front pushes to the very border of Kydessos.

All three fronts push back; the 1st Front to the Epidaean Coast, the 2nd front to the border of Kydessos, the 3rd front to the walls of Nippi, a 2nd level Fortification.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 305 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:54:15 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:03 am »

ok, so we are sieging one one province, and we are close to sieging another. time to produce siege.

I think it is time to defocus from front 1, they moved soldiers away, there is no prize to be won and we now have fortifications that will help hold them back if they push again.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:03 am »

Agreed, taking all the sweet food is priority.

Development Cycle: Through proper cellular modifications of the drone development life cycle, new drones hatched from their eggs have entered new stage of growth, with those of base caste being juvenile form which queen individual births through eggs, the base caste are those consisting of Soldier, Worker and Hunter variants. The main difference of the drones now is through the command of the queen hormones will be flood the body of selected drones causing them undergo metamorphism.

Workers and Soldiers undergoing the metamorphism will find secluded area in which their body form larger chrysalis cocoon around them made from chitin and various proteins. Inside the cocoon their body breaks down and rearranges it's self to develop into the adult caste forms. Workers inside the cocoon develop their bodies into their Spitter form, while Soldiers cocoon grows much larger with them growing into Revencher form.

Quote from: Vote
Development Cycle: (1) Flazeo25

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:20:10 am by flazeo25 »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:33 am »

Hunters wrecked them. They need to do a counter design. Hunters kill more than soldiers.

I propose to skip the design phase (this is not a vote yet). I want to de nat-effort spitters, give workers basic wooden weapons, upgrade ravanchers and relocate our reinforcements. Alternatively I am ready to support almost any design that uses wood, because we are sitting on a huge

I dislike development cycle proposal because it looks like - increase cost of hunters, workers and soldiers to get complexity\cost reduction for our elite units. No thanks.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:08 am »

If I am reading it correctly, some drones and warriors we want to upgrade will undergo metamorphosis instead of being specially developed for there task? That sounds a little... extreme.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 29, 2017, 10:42:07 am »

Means the queen doesn't have to ouright produce them as the drones can be homonal induced to take elite forms. Any that don't take elite forms act as normal unit.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 29, 2017, 11:45:50 am »

Critical Time Warp Alert!

I missed out one of the League's fairly major redistribution orders.  I'm going to revert the turn back to my last save and incorporate it, which may make the difference for this turn.  Consider the last turn invalid until I update in half an hour or so.

Time Warp Concluded:  Some changes to troop numbers, no major changes to territorial gains/losses.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:54:36 am by Iituem »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 29, 2017, 11:51:15 am »

Yar 305

Hinting at further changes within the League itself, the League deploys many more trained spearmen than slaves this yar.  The Hive seems to have produced no truly new designs this yar, but a larger number of the cat-sized acid-vomiting 'hunters' are spawned this yar, moving faster than before and possessing much smoother, less clunky chitin armour.

The Hive pushed forward with devastating effect this yar on all fronts, though narrowly on the third front; had they not redeployed the spitters to pushing the line back to Nippi, the additional troops sent from Kroton to defend the town's border would have been enough to push the Hive back.  As it was, the spitters prove to be a deadly retort.  The fort of Oracuse is lost, and the 2nd front pushes to the very border of Kydessos.

All three fronts push back; the 1st Front to the Epidaean Coast, the 2nd front to the border of Kydessos, the 3rd front to the walls of Nippi, a 2nd level Fortification.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 305 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)

Turn copy for comparison
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:34:50 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:46 pm »

Symbiotic Bloodworms
A new creature for the swarm, it's template structured based off of innumerable mundane parasites. It's life cycle is best described beginning with the pupae  (we'll cycle back around to the larvae in a minute), which can exist in a dormant state within the bloodstream of any of the hive's creatures. In their pupal state, the bloodworms have virtually no impact on a Hive host organism.

When blood is exposed to atmosphere and begins to congeal, this triggers the pupal bloodworms to finish their morph and emerge from their pupae as minute, sluglike creatures. On a Hive creature, these bloodworms are capable of distinguishing between living and dead flesh, and will exclusively chew away dead tissue in order to combat infections that would otherwise burrow under chitin and fester. On humans (and animals) the bloodworms are less discriminant, and will consume relentlessly, devouring soft tissue.

In this mature state, the bloodworms will go through to major reproductive states: asexual multiplication, and egg-laying. Asexual multiplication is achieved through what amounts to budding, where individual bloodworms will clone themselves in order to more effectively utilize any resources they have available. When the colony of bloodworms reaches critical mass due to clone population density, the bloodworms will begin the coagulate and merge into a peculiar structure, somewhat akin in profile to a dandelion with a full seed-head, except the stalk and head are constructed from toughened flesh. Sexual reproduction occurs and fills the bulbous head of the structure with bloodworm eggs, some of which will remain dormant, and others of which will hatch, pupate, and emerge to slither back down the bulbous fruiting-body and rejoin the main mass of adult bloodworms.

In this manner, bloodworms can spread across a battlefield, an unsuspecting human, or a wounded Hive Warrior in short order. In the case of the battle-field, which changes the landscape until the ground is covered with fleshy growths topped in spherical bulbs of bloodworm eggs. For the wounded hive warrior, this can result in odd-seeming growths sprouting from injuries. The purpose of these growths is to recycle nourishment back into our hive warriors (and drones, if needed). When the seed-head is ingested, the bloodworm eggs burst and hatch, the minute larvae wriggling into the bloodstream via the mucus membranes, and then pupate withing the blood, ready to begin the cycle anew. The fleshy seed-pod itself, however, is designed to carry a great deal of the material the bloodworms consumed, and is nutritious in its own right.

Of course, any animal other than a hive creature who consumes one of the bulbs will rapidly be filled with bloodworms, which hatch as soon as they've finished pupating in any substance other than the blood of a hive creature. The resulting infestation is gruesome.

tl;dr: Convert battle-fields into long term food storage and give our hive creatures infectious blood!

Given that we researched the other thing specifically as a preparation step to make thses, I'll bring this up again.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46