Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40130 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #510 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Die 1
Don't Spend (0)
Symbiotic Digestive Organisms (0)
Spitter Revision plan A2 (0)
Spitter Revision plan B (0)
Spitter Revision plan C (1) FallacyofUrist,
Spitter Revision plan D (2) Blood_Librarian, Puppyguard
Improve explosive muscles power (2) Detoxicated
Segmented Chitin (1) kopout
High intensity muscles (5) strongpoint, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Draignean

Die 2
Don't Spend (0)
Reinforced Chitinous Armor ( 9 ) 10ebbor10, Blood_Librarian, FallacyofUrist, strongpoint, detoxicated, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, kopout, Puppyguard

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 22, 2017, 05:07:49 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Die 1
Don't Spend (0)
Improve explosive muscles power (1) Detoxicated, Draignean
High intensity muscles (2) strongpoint, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Draignean

Die 2
Don't Spend (0)
Reinforced Chitinous Armor (9) 10ebbor10, Blood_Librarian, FallacyofUrist, strongpoint, detoxicated, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, kopout, Puppyguard
Negative pressure fibres (1) RAM

Getting the Siege unit out is important. It does have loads of problems, but it is actually properly good at what it does, and that is lower fortress TC. We can get, like, 2% of them out to front 3 and probably get through even though we did cripple that front's numbers. Throwing away a 50% food increase because a unit, while clearly capable of doing its job, is hideously ugly, would just be foolsh. It may be more expensive than spitters, but it really ought to provide a great drop in T.C. from forts. With only 20% of our forces facing a level 2 fort we are kind of desperate for siege. So, given that we need to send our national effort over there, do we want any spitters on our busier fronts?

Negative pressure fibres
By implementing fibres that open and close to create a very simple suction effect around the body, we hope to greatly increase and equalise the distribution of resources through the body. This, in turn, should improve our control  over and the efficiency of the metabolism of our larger peoples, such as a soldiers, spitters, queens, and Revenchers.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 22, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »

We're not actually up against the walls yet on front 3.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 22, 2017, 05:12:50 pm »

Quote from: fixed
Die 1
Don't Spend (0)
Improve explosive muscles power (1) Detoxicated
High intensity muscles (5) strongpoint, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Draignean

Die 2
Don't Spend (0)
Reinforced Chitinous Armor (9) 10ebbor10, Blood_Librarian, FallacyofUrist, strongpoint, detoxicated, flazeo25, NUKE9.13, kopout, Puppyguard
Negative pressure fibres (1) RAM
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 22, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »

Yup, we just had that discussion with Iituem, there's no way we can take the city this turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 23, 2017, 02:51:46 am »

Well, anyway. Here's a future design idea.

Plaguebearer: Rot, glorious rot! The Plaguebearer is a small drone- a few inches long. Not designed for combat, the Plaguebearer cannot be found on a battlefield until a few days after the fight has ended, when it shall descend in great numbers to feast upon the rotting corpses. It consumes primarily rotten flesh, which is held within its stomach for days, festering. It can vomit up its stomach contents at will, leaving a pile of diseased, half-digested flesh lying in some unseen corner.
That is but a sideshow to the Plaguebearer's main attraction, however, which is its plague glands. Like acid glands, plague glands contain vast quantities of symbiotic microbes. Unlike acid glands, these microbes do not produce acid, or anything of value for that matter. Instead, plague glands are filled to the brim with bacteria and viruses that are known to cause disease in humans.
A Plaguebearer's main role is to infiltrate deep into human territory, avoiding combat, and seeking out population centers, where it sets about spraying its noxious payload through the air. Disease follows in their wake, decimating the population. And when festering corpses lie in the streets, the Plaguebearers descend to feast, and fill up their plague glands with their meal's infections.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 23, 2017, 07:16:09 am »

Don't we eat those corpses, bones, rot and all?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 23, 2017, 07:58:13 am »

Don't we eat those corpses, bones, rot and all?
I dunno. I figure there's probably more than enough to satiate every single unit at the conclusion of a battle, meaning there would be plenty left behind. I don't know if there's time for Workers to round up all the corpses and drag them back to the Hive... probably more effort than its worth. Just leave what you don't eat behind to rot. Or, in my suggestion, for the Plaguebearers. I mean, their necrophagia is mostly just a fluff thing, they could eat regular meat if we wanted.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:17 am »

I still think that we should use our timber. It is a wasted resource otherwise. I am thinking about something like this

Basic wooden weapons
In effort to augment natural abilities of drones hive starts to produce simple wooden weapons including: Very long wooden spears meant to be carried by several workers as a way to counter cavalry charges, simple wooden shields to let workers cover themselves against incoming projectiles, simple rams in form of logs held by either Warriors in their pincers or by huge number of workers.

But can't make a version that looks strong enough to justify a design.

Also, I have an idea that looks a "little" too complex and I am not a huge fan of suicide drones but I think it is worth to share

Insert name here
Those are hawk sized insects that look like butterflies. Their abdomen is one huge acidic gland and their bodies have no digestive system at all. Just like butterflies they have a caterpillar stage. Most of caterpillar's body is taken by a powerful ruminant digestive system improved by specialized symbiont with a small acidic gland for self-protection against predators. This new drone spends most of the time away from the hive. Eggs, spawn by the queen are delivered to forests and left there to consume leaves. At some point it transforms to a pupa and then to an adult insect. This insect have a short life span so they join the nearest hive army to serve as artillery shells.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 23, 2017, 10:28:14 am »

I too believe that we should eventually get weapons of wood and metal...

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:04 am »

Honestly? Metal could be used to improve our armor, and toxic or flammable byproducts of mining industry could be used to make fire breathing creatures actually possible.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 23, 2017, 10:40:36 am »

Hmm, hmm. Well, what we design next turn is obviously dependent on the outcome of the combat phase. If we make it to the walls of Nippi, and they forget to upgrade them to a level three fort before we do, then our focus should be on siege power in order to capture the town.
Otherwise, a general combat design would be better. A tactic, like what ebbor suggested, might be good.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 23, 2017, 11:29:35 am »

I too believe that we should eventually get weapons of wood and metal...
Honestly? Metal could be used to improve our armor, and toxic or flammable byproducts of mining industry could be used to make fire breathing creatures actually possible.
We have no metal and there are no ore nearby to capture any time soon but we do have 900 timber and this is a lot. Brireme costs 50 timber. Archer cost 1 timber.  I think not using this resource is a huge waste and I am sure that we want a timber related design next turn. Preferably one that will help to assist a siege.

How does this sound?

Siege ladders
Long ladders are constructed from wood. When tied (using ropes made from bark) to Ravanchars or Soldiers such ladders allow workers to rapidly climb over the wall to overwhelm enemy fortress

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2017, 11:40:10 am »

Revision: High Intensity Muscles  [Effectiveness: 5]

The Queen cannot yet manipulate foreign cells (which technically include mitochondria, as they are organelles with their own DNA) in the way she can tweak the genetics of drones.  What she can do is encourage multiplication of said mitochondria, producing muscle cells that are densely packed with the organelles and capable of sudden explosive power.  Tracheation is similarly effective, as the design encourages aeration by muscle movement, allowing the muscles to sustain their explosive bursts for longer.

There is an inherent downside; these muscles tire more quickly because of the energy demands they make; more mitochondria means more power per cube inch of muscle mass, but they are proportionally hungrier as well.  This does make them excellent for the one design they are currently used in; the Hunters.

Revision: Reinforced Chitinous Armour  [Effectiveness: 5]

Based off the heavy carapace, the light carapace is formed without hardening in the nascent stage.  Infant drones therefore have soft, translucent exoskeletons until they reach maturity, wherupon hormones trigger hardening.  The resulting carapace is thinner than heavy carapace, but better shaped to allow flexibility and movement for the drone, reducing weight but still providing better protection than worker armour.  Indeed, hormonal release is inhibited by frequent movement, so the less flexible parts of the carapace are hardened preferentially during the maturation phase.  This results in hard fixed carapace parts, but still softer and more flexible carapace at the joints.  At present, only the Hunter uses this carapace type.

After the changes to the Hunter, the new high intensity muscles should correct most of the design's flaws in terms of battlefield effectiveness.  They are still not competent combatants in melee, where they lack the open ground to take advantage of their speed, but become that much more dangerous at a charge.  That said, the improved lightweight chitin gives them significantly more protection in the melee phase, better than that of workers by comparison, which should improve survivability.  They are still vulnerable to ambushes and ranged fire, much as the default worker design is, but that level of protection would require heavy carapace, harming the design's speed.

It is the Strategy Phase.  You have no dice, but free actions as usual.   Unless voting changes, the last valid vote for the Princess Design will be accepted.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2017, 11:46:01 am »

Okay then. Let's see what happens.

Move Spitters to Front 1 : 10ebbor10
Reduce warrior 10% => Shift to Hunter  : 10ebbor10

Now, you're probably wondering why I want the Spitters on Front 1. The answer is simple. I want prevent that from becoming a problem too fast.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46