Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40177 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:28 pm »

Posting to watch for now, since the voting options we have for now disqust me.

One option I do wanna take is to turn Spitters form what essentially amounts to a machine gun nest to a  Mortar by making them fire globs of acid into the Sky, and renaming them into "Boilers" so the SPitters name can be freed up.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2017, 11:19:11 pm »

Thickened Head Chitin: All castes grow hardened heads that are able to deflect bullets.

Spring Legs: The Soldiers gain springing legs, so that they can charge into the enemies with terrifying speed.

Horn: The soldiers gain a big horn on their head, with which they can pierce the enemy.

Domesticator: A larger than human worker that can speak human by simulating their verbal chords.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:50 pm »

Strange thought: Invest in photosynthesis, Lighter than air gas bladders, and Better eyes. Make floating scouts which are almost entirely covered in eyes and don't need food.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2017, 01:39:04 am »

Design is more or less decided so here are few revision ideas

Adapt Soldiers for better throwing
This modification of soldier caste has slightly longer, stronger forward limbs and their pincers are able to perform finer manipulations. The main reason of this is to allow them to use their strength to throw objects in enemy direction. Objects vary from large rocks to captured enemy spears to smaller drones

Yes, I still think that throwing something at the enemy is a simple way to improve effectiveness at least in skirmish, hopefully in ranged. Later we may design drones that can be used as effective projectiles

Adapt workers for running
This version of workers have totally reworked forward limbs. Instead of four limb manipulator they get new legs adapted for running. Its back limbs are strengthened to further enhance running and allow jumps. They still retain original middle pair of limbs as their tool\weapon. Adapted workers are still used in civilian roles mostly as dedicated hunters and patrol guards

It is a light version of Predator and useful experience before making a dedicated cavalry unit. I am a little worried that this may be too large of a change for a revision.

Food management:
Instead of simply hunting out and denuding the area of all resources we now take a much more measured approach to our hunting and gathering. Although predatory species are deliberately hunted out to remove competition herbivores herds are culled at a smaller scale to insure a future supply. Similar thing is  practiced with plants leaving some fruits\grains intact

As I said I think it is a revision in my eyes. Not sure how useful it will be with the new digestive system.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2017, 09:36:47 pm »

Design: Ruminant Digestive System  [Effectiveness: 4+1] [Expense: 5] [Bugs: 3-1]

As it turns out, acids aren't enough.  We needed to devise enzymes specifically for breaking down that troublesome cellulose.  We duplicated stomachs in the standard worker design and reduced their acid outputs, instead devoting them to enzyme production and in one stomach even harbouring commensal bacteria to help break down the foodstuffs.  Modification of the worker mandibles proved troublesome, but we have them down well enough to serve as grinders to macerate food.

The resulting drones are swollen due to the need to support extra stomach capacity and food storage, and they devote enough energy to digestion that their responses are fairly slow and sluggish, but they are able to pre-digest grains, legumes and plants and then vomit them up for consumption by others.  These Emitic drones may never see the battlefield, but they most certainly contribute.  Mostly they remain within the Hive's warrens and spend their days eating and throwing up into vessels brought to them by other workers.  It isn't an exciting life, but we didn't give them a sense of boredom and they are fulfilled by serving the Hive anyway.  Same as all of us.

The Emitics aren't perfect.  A good proportion of the nutrition of what they consume is lost, devoted to sustaining the Emitic itself.  Only a fraction of the nutritious value of the source material is preserved in the vomited slurry, so consumption of cereals and vegetables is nowhere near as efficient as direct digestion would be for our standard drones (but is still a net positive).

The biggest benefit is the Emitics' ability to digest plant matter.  We can't consume wood directly, but certain softer leaves can be ground up and digested by the Emitics (many leaves are too poisonous, hardy or nutrient-low for consumption) who can then vomit it back up for standard drone types - even Queens.  With the plant matter provided by a verdant forest, we could colonise it with a Queen - but such a colony would be horrendously weak and limited, needing to devote the vast majority of its production to sustaining Emitics.  Emitics are not efficient at deriving calories from leaves, and most of those calories would be devoted to the Emitic's own survival before it could produce a surplus.

In short, the Emitics are far better and more efficient at digesting cereals, roots and legumes than leaves, and cannot consume wood at all.

There is also another drawback.  Digestion is not a perfect process, so the finished slurry often contains significant traces of gluten and undigested cellulose.  This has the effect of causing trouble for the digestion of slurry-eaters. resulting in slowed reaction times and occasional weakness.

Forest Queens:  As a Strategic Action, the Hive can now spawn a Queen in a forested area, producing food and manpower based off the Timber value of the region.  Since the Hive is much less efficient at gathering timber than it is food and the Hive currently digests 'timber' at 10% of its base food rate, such a Queen would be malnourished and only produce a handful of drones.  It is, however, possible.  Unless otherwise directed, Forest Queens will consume 50% of the Timber supply of a region.

It is now the Revision Phase.  You have 2 dice remaining.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:55 pm »

Is there any advantage to repeating an action? Due to familiarity...
Is there any disadvantage to repeating an action? Due to the established standard, or the G.M. just not liking the same action repeated over and over until it works...
we didn't give them a sense of boredom
We are geniuses!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2017, 11:34:54 pm »

Revise Digestive System: By adding special glands the digestive system now can easily use the gluten to produce spitting glue.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2017, 11:42:45 pm »

Sharper Mandibles or a Stronger digestive system are what I think we should go for.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:58 pm »

Revision - Sharper Mandibles
By sharpening our Emitic's mandibles we can increase maceration of food, allowing gluten to be broken down easier.

Perhaps it would be possible to attach sharper mandibles to our workers as well?(for combat, not eating.)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2017, 11:54:57 pm »

Revision - Sharper Mandibles
By sharpening our Emitic's mandibles we can increase maceration of food, allowing gluten to be broken down easier.

Perhaps it would be possible to attach sharper mandibles to our workers as well?(for combat, not eating.)
If we got a good roll(s) on this, wooden defences would quickly become moot to a limited extent.

Quote from: Votes, Current
Revise Digestive System (1) Detoxicated
Revision - Sharper Mandibles (2) Crazyabe, Puppyguard
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:40 am »

Aren't designs the most powerful thing in the game? While yes adjustments through revisions and strategy changes do perform their niche, designs are where most of the power comes from. Previous Ar,s Race games (Ahem, Spire Race) had this "logistics times" and through the efforts of projects, resource costs, and deployment time. This game has no deployment time, all designed are incorporated instantly so I don't understand how ->1 Design+1 Strategy/Revision->2 Designs is the best possible path to take. We were of course RNG screwed so it didn't really matter, any ways suggesting a revision..

Spikeridged Mandibles: sharpened bone and carapace that form as the shape as spikes are layered around the inner sections of the mandible of worker-drones and Emitics to give it more cutting power on their bite that can serve the roles of better wood-cutters and the spikes pierces flesh better for a deadlier bite against their prey. The sharpened bone is developed by sourcing the skull bone structure of the drone and then extending it into the mandibles and forming a simple network of sharpened bone through the mandible.

Revision - Sharper Mandibles (2) Crazyabe, Puppyguard
Revision - Spikeridged Mandibles (1) Shadowclaw
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:57:29 am by Shadowclaw777 »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:15 am »

Revision - Sharper Mandibles (1) Puppyguard
Revision - Spikeridged Mandibles (2) Shadowclaw, Crazyabe
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:50 am »

Oh well. Turns out we should have listened to Strongpoint. I'd hoped for some immediate advantages.

Spitter Vomitting A slight modification that allows the Spitter to use the vomitting system designed for the emetic worker. Now, when it finds itself in a melee, it can vomits it's entire stomach of acid at once to defend itself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:59:49 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:01 am »

improved mechanism for Workers to expel the contents of their stomachs in a hurry.
Could this aid in the previous proposal?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2017, 02:37:48 am »

So, hang on. Was Forest Queens the only thing we got out of that? We didn't increase our regular food output at all?

If so, then a revision to fix that would the way to go. There must surely be, I dunno, overgrown fields of wheat on the outskirts of Menotos. It should be possible to use these Emitics here.

EDIT:
Spikeridged Mandibles: sharpened bone and carapace that form as the shape as spikes are layered around the inner sections of the mandible of worker-drones and Emitics to give it more cutting power on their bite that can serve the roles of better wood-cutters and the spikes pierces flesh better for a deadlier bite against their prey. The sharpened bone is developed by sourcing the skull bone structure of the drone and then extending it into the mandibles and forming a simple network of sharpened bone through the mandible.
Insects don't have bones. Or skulls (which are made of bone).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:15:17 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46