Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40194 times)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Throwing spears(0)
Brain Caste(1) Puppyguard
Forager(0)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »

Xylophagic External Digestive System

By toning down the aggressive stomach acids, but maintaining their powerful effects, we create a digestive system that can easily and efficiently digest grains, grasses and even wood. Food is carefully macerated into tiny little bits, then stored in one of several stomach in combination with many enzymes that break down the hard to digest cellulose and other materials. It can be kept in those stomach for long periods until it needs to be recovered. At command, the digestive system can regurgitate the now edible goop, allowing it to be consumed by even carnivorous members of the hive.

I'm going with this one again.

Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Throwing spears(0)
Forager(0)
Xylophagic External Digestive System (1) 10ebbor10

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2017, 12:38:15 pm »

Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Throwing spears(1) Strongpoint
Forager(0)

I believe that spears give both short and long term benefits. It starts a road toward crafting useful stuff. It gives a use for wood\workers free time. It benefits any future designs that can throw stuff. It is good against their zerg rush with slaves. It will have immediate impact on all fronts doing some damage to enemy forces before we go melee.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2017, 12:43:18 pm »

Another possibility could be trying for improved speed.  That could lead towards some kind of cavalry unit, and cut down on casulties during ranged phases and skirmishing.  Either improving the anerobic metabolite paths and methods, or increased twitch musculature.  Probably more useful for the soldiers, as the workers won't need it when not fighting.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:46:13 pm by Devastator »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:01 pm »

Another possibility could be trying for improved speed.  That could lead towards some kind of cavalry unit, and cut down on casualties during ranged phases and skirmishing.
Hhhhm, I can see using something like my forager proposal but instead of focusing on night performance optimize them for speed by making them move in long leaps. This will give cavalry, smaller frame for later uses(like fliers) and good hunters for food gathering.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »

I don't think it's necessary for hunting, only for fighting.  The hunters already seem quite capable of stripping places bare, and expending more energy to catch meals may be less efficient.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2017, 12:56:18 pm »

Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Throwing spears(2) Strongpoint, MonkeyMarkMario
Forager(0)

We can use them against cavalry charge and take less damage then as well.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »

Our workers are the size of a dog.

You're not going to stop a horse with a toothpick.

Also, all our enemies, with the exception of slaves are armored. A tiny wooden spear will do nothing against the sort of armor they'll be wearing.

Third, spears will cost wood. WE DO NOT HAVE WOOD RESOURCES
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:01:44 pm by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »

ebbor, we got chastised the first time for trying to digest wood when we can't digest grains. Yes, we have the experience of the failed project to help us. But I think the minor benefit that eating wood would give us is not worth the added difficulty. We could revise in the functionality later, maybe after we've actually captured a wood-rich region? (Because if we can turn wood (the resource) into even a tiny amount of food (the resource), that would allow us to place so many extra Queens)
If you remove the bit about digesting wood, I'll vote for XEDS.

Throwing spears are a... suboptimal design. First, as has been pointed out, our drones are not designed to throw things. Second, we'd be playing catchup with the League, when we could be focusing on our strengths instead. Third, if it works but requires the Wood resource, we won't see any benefit for many turns.
Fourth, it won't help as much mechanically as you think: it wouldn't be ranged damage- we lack both the visual acuity and throwing power. It would instead fall under the skirmish phase, like their Skirmishers (who throw stuff) do. And we're already dealing damage in the skirmish phase. We don't need help dealing with slaves, we already mow through them like they are blades of grass.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:04 pm »

But Xylophagic means wood eating.

I can hardly make a non-wood eating wood eating design, can I.

I mean, I could give it a different name...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2017, 01:22:59 pm »

Predator
Predator is a new type of drone. It is of the same size as workers, uses same senses and same carapace. All of their six limbs are optimized for running, removing unnecessary weapons and tools. Their main mean to kill an enemy or a prey is an acidic spit similar to one used by spitter drones but working only at point blank range. They have two main roles. Civilian one is to bring meat to warriors (Predators are capable to vomit half-digested food). On the battlefield they fill a role of cavalry and capable to do lightning fast charges against the enemy.

Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Throwing spears(1) MonkeyMarkMario
Forager(0)
Predator (1) Strongpoint

Lack of nearby wood is a sound argument but I will return to spears later. Now I actually want some kind of cavalry.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:48:09 pm by Strongpoint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »

But Xylophagic means wood eating.
Well, you learn something new every day.

In that case, remove the wood-eating and call it something else and I'll vote for... that.
Long Live United Forenia!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2017, 02:29:31 pm »

Cattle
Cattle is a new type of drone, it is Moderately larger than ordinary workers, it lacks eyes, relying on our telepathy for guidance, It has more of an omnivorous diet, It uses the same Carapace. All six of its legs are optimized for turning. They have the capacity to produce and store "Honey" made from what they have eaten when there is excess food, Honey is meant to be edible for all (Current) Drones.

Quote from: VOTES
Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Forager(0)
Predator (1) Strongpoint
Cattle (1) Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:31 pm »

Quote from:  Ruminant Digestive System
By toning down the aggressive stomach acids, but maintaining their powerful effects, we create a digestive system that can easily and efficiently digest grains and grasses. Food is carefully macerated into tiny little bits, then stored in one of several stomach in combination with many enzymes that break down the hard to digest cellulose and other materials. It can be kept in those stomach for long periods until it needs to be recovered. At command, the digestive system can regurgitate the now edible goop, allowing it to be consumed by even carnivorous members of the hive.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2017, 02:39:00 pm »

Game management:
Instead of simply hunting out and denuding the area of all resources we now take a much more measured approach to our hunting and gathering. Although predatory species are deliberately hunted out to remove competition herbivores herds are culled at a smaller scale to insure a future supply.

Wings(0)
Sea spitter(0)
Field fortifications(0)
Forager(0)
Ruminant Digestive System (1) 10ebbor10
Predator (1) Strongpoint
Cattle (1) Crazyabe
Game management (1) kopout
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46