Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 160049 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1545 on: August 25, 2017, 08:00:10 am »

First off, NUKE, you corrupted my vote from "Only one revision" to "Only one other revision".
Sorry, I misunderstood your intention. I would fix it, but Jilladilla already did.

As for why to not do a cheaper Itshana design: that would involve another effectiveness roll, and another bug roll. We may well get cheaper crystals, but there is a decent chance that they would be less effective, or have some manner of bug. Plus, it would cost at least four dice. And we wouldn't achieve anything in time to outfit the next Windrider more cheaply.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:14 am »

What do you think of this?

Wire reorganization project
Lets face it: our wiring in the windrider is a mess. And from the boom and zoom experiments, it turns out that there is a link somewhere between weapons and trim/lift crystals, but we have no idea where.
the current mess is made more clean and organized: wires going in the same direction grouped together, color coded for their intended use (weapon, trim, lift). Ample room is left for insulation between wires and intersections between groups are reduced to a minimum. The wires are as straight as possible and easily accessible at several points. If this does not solve the problem by itself, it will at least make it so our engineers can spot what actually causes the problem.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:53:50 am by andrea »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 25, 2017, 08:36:30 am »

Maybe make it windrider specific?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 25, 2017, 09:06:29 am »

Yeah, that's more like it. I suppose if people want to, I could get behind doing that revision as well.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:47 am »

ah, right. I forgot to mention the windrider. General cable design should apply in all future designs, but it must definitely be fixed on windrider now. Edited.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 25, 2017, 09:49:48 am »

That'll work.

Quote from: Votes
Itshana Select is Too Expensive, What Do?
Itshana Cheapening:
 - 2 dice: (2) Milo, Jilladilla
 - 1 die: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack
Thermovariable Itshana Process:
 - 1 die: (3) NUKE9.13, Tack, 10ebbor10

Other Revisions:
Incendiary Skyskiff: (5) Milo, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Tack, Madman
Advanced Fuses: (1) 10ebbor10
Wire Reorganization Project: (1) Jilladilla
Only one revision: (1) Madman
Save one die: (1) NUKE9.13

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 25, 2017, 10:29:53 am »

Alright, well, I'm going to start rolling dice here in a minute. The two revisions based on saving die, since they're at the bottom of the pack, will have equivalent effect. So you've got a 50% chance to bank, 25% to do fuses, and a 25% chance to do reorganized wires.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 25, 2017, 10:31:40 am »

That'll work.

Quote from: Votes
Itshana Select is Too Expensive, What Do?
Itshana Cheapening:
 - 2 dice: (2) Milo, Jilladilla
 - 1 die: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack
Thermovariable Itshana Process:
 - 1 die: (3) NUKE9.13, Tack, 10ebbor10

Other Revisions:
Incendiary Skyskiff: (5) Milo, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Tack, Madman
Advanced Fuses: (1) 10ebbor10
Wire Reorganization Project: (2) Jilladilla, Andrea
Only one revision: (1) Madman
Save one die: (1) NUKE9.13

In time for wires?

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:31 am »

That'll work.
-snip-
Clearly your vote will be a fateful one, since it was the 1500th post.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 25, 2017, 10:46:31 am »

That'll work.
-snip-
Clearly your vote will be a fateful one, since it was the 1500th post.

1550th, not 1500th.

Glory to United Forenia!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:57 am »

True. I somehow missed that.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 25, 2017, 10:52:16 am »

Post #1500 for reference

Right, right.
...I still think we shouldn't do a design.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:03:17 am by andrea »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:38 am »

That can't be right, that's a few pages back and there's only 1556 posts in this thread... (This is the 1557th)

Glory to United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:05 am »

Meant 1500 , yes. fixing :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 25, 2017, 12:29:46 pm »

Itshana Cheapening
Efficacy: 1
Re-purposing  and recycling the waste itshana fluids is a logical first step, but one with unfortunate and unsolvable consequences. The waste fluids from the Itshana process, when piped back through at any significant degree begin to cause crystal dislocations and introduce impurities into the purer crystals grown during prior generations. The resulting crystals are of uneven composition, and are nearly worthless except as minor baubles- cracking under more than trivial stress.

As for improvements in refining methods, and perhaps a chemical process to 'refresh' used Itshana fluids, our current furnaces and laboratories are at their limits. While a few new experimental reagents are attempted, and the results are at times promising, the expense always outstrips the practical benefits of the new techniques. Perhaps, with investment, an advance could be made.

Thermovariable Itshana Process
Efficacy: 2
There is more success here than previous attempts to improve the Itshana process, but not a lot. The introduction of heaters into the Itshana vats is relatively simple, but significant cooling is a more difficult prospect. Direct flow from swamp coolers tampers too much the humidity (and thus the water content of the vattery fluid), but copper piping allows it work, a little bit. The temperature differential is not very steep, and there appear to be a few deleterious reactions when the temperature in the vattery fluid gets too high, but the thermovariation does seem to improve the efficiency of the Itshana process.

Just... not by a lot. It's mostly visible when growing in significant bulk, and even then it's minor.

Itshana Cheapening: When paying more than 10 ore worth of the Itshana crystals, you can reduce the ore price of the entire order by 20%, though it'll still cost a minimum of 10 ore.

Incendiary Skyskiff
Efficacy: 1
It becomes readily evident that the frame of the skyskiff was never designed to support the Dragun, or any conventional cannon for that matter. Just plopping the dragun in the middle of the skiff is a fair prospect in terms of balance and weight distribution, but it has interesting problems when firing. First and foremost, it actually damaged the ship. The mounting made is quite strong, but transfers too much energy to the surrounding hull, and so every shot causes (minor) structural damage to the ship. Each individual shot isn't that much of a problem, but it does mean the little vessel will need semi-constant maintenance at a port. Worse is her tendency to spin after a shot. The recoil from the Dragon, fired from above the center of mass, is enough to rapidly upset a Skiff's balance and force a pilot to take extreme corrective measure to keep her upright. This is hard on trims and will disrupt any maneuver.

Finally, her ammunition storage is simultaneously quite limited and highly volatile, being crammed into the same space as her crew hammocks and food. Crew members are required to shave their heads in order to reduce the chance of a static spark immolating the entire vessel.

Skyskiff  Refit(Conventional Cannon) 3 Wood and 2 ore to refit from the basic Skyskiff
A change of the skyskiff hull to (mostly) accommodate a single small conventional cannon. The mating isn't perfect, however, and firing the cannon will cause damage to her structure and will disrupt flight maneuvers. She also explodes at the drop of a hat.

She has no usable cargo capacity.
Armament
1 central conventional cannon mount
Requires:
1 Core Crystal (Up to Very Small in size)
1 Lift Crystal (Up to Very Small in size)
4 Trim Crystals
2 reams of webbing

Wire Reorganization Project
Efficacy: 1+1
After a few weeks of pouring over the wiring blueprints for the Windrider, it's a marvel that anything works at all. After a few months of pouring over the blueprints, engineers begin drinking heavily. After six months, several of the engineers become entirely convinced that the wiring itself is a sentient thing with the power to alter paperwork and that it watches them whenever they looks at the plans, and wants to rewire them too.

Needless to say those engineers are replaced and put on administrative leave, but the fact is that none of the triplicate documentation on the wiring actually agrees. On the surface everything seems fine and in mutual agreement, but the deeper you look the more minor details change between the plans. Attempts to cross-reference the wiring of the ship while she's still in port yield... inconsistent results. Aside from sparking some lively debates as to the subjective nature of reality and wiring diagrams, no progress on the Windrider's particular problem gets made. However, engineers do agree that much more care needs to be taken in future to avoid the SNAFU that is the Windrider's electrical system.

It is now the production, deployment, and tactics phase.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 50/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 29/85 banked
19/y Wood, 75/95 banked
10/y Silk, 50/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 187