Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150412 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2295 on: May 01, 2018, 03:08:10 pm »

Anti field guns... Hmmm let me see... Etheric pulse bomb? A device that emits a pulse of etheric energy through the tunnels, overcharging the weapons crystals and causing them to explode. Or absorption shrouds, Shrouds which turn the enemies blast into more energy for the shroud, Or chitin shrouds (a bunch of mini shrouds designed to make it so that if one part of the shroud goes down the whole defense does not collapse, or standardized micro core crystals for our soldiers. Another thought is modifying lift crystals to create lateral thrust and see if we can't make a trim crystal which turns in relation to etheric energy signatures(Missiles). Our own field guns made out of mini lances could also work. And finally my plan Z cat special forces, or spiders.
Also power armor could be done through a puppeteer style system based on our trim powered turret rotation, I.E. where the movement of ones body parts causes a movement on the trim crystals dials? controls?, Also i was thinking they would be made from bronzewood with a bit of spider silk strategically interlaced to distribute the impact of enemy weapons. Also it might be wise to make a ether rifle, We have pistols we can scale them up.
Also Nav you and i apparently think alike.
Also if a full suit of armor would be too expensive we could make a framework that attaches to our soldiers existing armor (like the exo suits from edge of tomorrow) just an upgrade to give vertical mobility, a shroud, and increased strength/speed, plus it would let our troops potentially be able to be launched from afar without having to get a barge in range of the enemy guns.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:16:51 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 01, 2018, 04:32:32 pm »

I see several anti-cannon measures we can take.

1: A field cannon of our own. Do the same thing as them and even the fight. Probably a hasty conversion from aeronautical kettlegun.
2: A grenade launcher. Probably a modified crossbow, ideally with an impact trigger instead of fuse. Pretty much a straight upgrade compared to grenade slings.
3: A miniature lance cannon sniper rifle. It would just pierce through anything we want it to. Longer range than a grenade launcher. Pretty narrow focus of destroying cannons compared to other options.
4: A rocket launcher. We have black powder, which makes acceptable rocket fuel. Warheads, either black powder or modified crystal grenade should be easy. Barrel wear isn't nearly the concern for rocket launchers that it is for muskets, so we can make it reliable. Rockets might also be very useful in ship to ship or spire to ship combat.
5: Hover pack. Use vertical mobility to get above them, and drop grenades from an angle they aren't expecting. Also huge advantage for infantry VS infantry. And for surviving transports/dingies getting shot down.
6: Sapping. Make a significantly larger bombs with longer timers. Set multiple, and collapse caves on top of Wreth. Opens up terrain modification in general, like making tunnels where we want to go and blocking off tunnels where we don't.
7: Poison gas? If we also get gas masks we can kill the crews without damaging the cannons. Then claim the cannons for ourselves. Pretty easy to hard counter, but would probably buy us a turn or two of easy advance.

The Aetheric pulse bomb won't really work since they switched to ballistic cannons. We need something that can take out either ballistic or aether cannons.

EDIT:
8: The invisibility shrouds that someone keeps suggesting. Would let us sneak to get close enough to grenade spam effectively, or sneak behind enemy lines and attack the cannons from behind.
9: Finishing "Vertical Envelopment" design and revising it to not be shit. Those spider marines would function similarly to hover pack idea, but inferior in most ways.
10: Improved marine training. With better training and tactics to use the equipment they already have (notably sling grenades and witch-hunters), our marines could more effectively take out cannons.
11: Build mobile covers out of slabs of spirestone from Unfinished. The ultimate fuck you to "you tanked everything else we shot at you so we had to resort to incendiary poison grapeshot cannons" Wreth.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:12:37 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:15 pm »

One thought i just had is making a mini tank, essentially a hovering base armored with some spirestone, with a shroud and a kettlegun, mostly serving as high speed transport, and a mobile fortification.
Later bigger versions could be armed with a full sized vanguard in a frontal mount, but for now a simple light version should be good, one built more for skirmishing than front-line combat, thus it having it's gun able to fire any direction, Pretty much these are meant to act as a counter to enemy heavy weapons, while allowing us to move our own guns around much more quickly.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:06:46 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 01, 2018, 05:13:26 pm »

You have incredibly expensive ideas, mon amie.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 01, 2018, 05:30:34 pm »

You have incredibly expensive ideas, mon amie.
Expensive, yes but sometimes you only need one or two...
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 01, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »

New idea, Kettlecycles, basically a hovercycle whose main body is actually a mini-aether cannon (possibly with a rotating barrel), The gun cannot be used while mobile but it might have some smaller anti personnel weapons in the form of rotating barrel aether pistols, to deploy the cannon you get off the bike and flip invert the seat, with some parts of the cycle turning into a mount to hold it, by the end of the transformation the windshield is on top, acting as a protective measure and potentially a heads up display, the aether pistols will be at the sides of the gun to help against infantry. It has room for two people to sit on the back of the hovercycle, and a mount for a hovering sled thing it can pull along to carry more troops.
Overall the idea is that these things can move fast through the tunnels and act as mobile fire platforms and excellent skirmishers/guerilla warfare vehicles, potentiality with their own shroud and the ability to fly outside of a spire and serve as a way to get troops on the ground.
My Power armor arms race

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 01, 2018, 11:27:22 pm »

Quote from: Revision Votes (5 dice)
Medium Docks Improvements: (1) Rockeater
Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization: (1) NAV
Guerrilla Tactics: (1) NAV
Makeshift Weapon Crafting: (1) NAV
Camouflaged Uniforms: (1) NAV

Save 1 die: (2) NAV, Rockeater
[/quote]
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »

Guerrilla Tactics: (2) NAV, helmacon
Camouflaged Uniforms: (2) NAV, helmacon

1 dice into preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections: (1) Helmacon

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 02, 2018, 12:19:53 am »

Apparently, I never posted this in the thread.

Preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections:
We have never fully understood the process by which the crystals function at their most basic levels, and many phenomenon remain unexplained. One of these phenomenon, initially termed "Crystal reflection" is of particular interest to the brass. Initially noted when using symmetrical matrix designs of particular purity, a charge applied to one side of the matrix would be reflected in the other. The recent breakthrough is that this effect seems to persist even once two sides of the crystal are removed from one another. While so far this is largely theoretical, the divides being maintained by dampeners and particular separation of the internal matrix design, our top scientists are now certain that it could persist beyond that. The idea is to take a perfectly symmetrical crystal and (using recent advances in crystal cutting techniques made possible with industrial use of the new "Lance" beams) split it perfectly in half. While some latency is expected with distance our scientists are certain that the effect will persist and we will be able to relay charge stimulation in the crystals over a distance.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:56 am »

Guerrilla Tactics: (2) NAV, helmacon
Camouflaged Uniforms: (2) NAV, helmacon

1 dice into preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections: (2) Helmacon , Rockeater

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53:07 am »

Medium Docks Improvements: (2) Rockeater, Jerick
Guerrilla Tactics: (3) NAV, helmacon, Jerick
Camouflaged Uniforms: (3) NAV, helmacon, Jerick

1 dice into preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections: (3) Helmacon , Rockeater, Jerick

Save 1 die: (3) NAV, Rockeater, Jerick

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 02, 2018, 08:39:41 am »

We need to do revisions that help us at Blackstone, because that is an incredibly precarious position right now. I can get not liking militia or improvised weapons, but in that case we need something else to help Blackstone. Even if its just putting multiple dice into camo and guerrilla tactics to ensure success. We need to focus and can't get distracted by research with no immediate benefits, that can wait until we have the docks built and aren't in a crisis.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 02, 2018, 08:59:55 am »

We can't spend resources on equipment for marines anyway and they will massively outnumber and outgun us anyway unless you can convert those civilians to well-trained soldiers or give them cannons with revision there is no point now, you won't hold them back like this.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 02, 2018, 09:17:16 am »

Quantity has a quality of its own, and we can get a massive quantity of poorly trained and equipped soldiers if the militia and weapons revisions are successful. The idea isnt really to hold tham back, its to inflict maximum attrition on them and make it easier to retake ground/the spire from them in the future. With a massive number of militiamen using improvised weapons supported by a handful of trained marines using a mix of improvised and professional weapons, all using guerrilla tactics, we can inflict heavy casualties.

Idea! What if we make a tactic specifically designed to hijack their cannons, probably replacing improvised weapons? If we can steal a cannon or two from them we might be able to hold them off or destroy more cannons with them.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 02, 2018, 11:05:10 am »

we could also make a ether machine gun next turn...
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 178