Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150350 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2310 on: May 02, 2018, 11:11:35 am »

This is well into design range but we could start.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 02, 2018, 11:15:01 am »

or revise our kettleguns to be able to be unloaded from our ships.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 02, 2018, 12:37:03 pm »

Idea! What if we make a tactic specifically designed to hijack their cannons, probably replacing improvised weapons? If we can steal a cannon or two from them we might be able to hold them off or destroy more cannons with them.

This will be extraordinarily difficult, if not outright impossible. Taking the enemy's tech has come up many, many times from both sides- and at this point it's just much less of a headache to say that it cannot be done. Make a tactic to snipe it in particular? Sure, but not capture.

I know going Finland on them is a cool option, but I do not want to deal with the salt overdose that would occur if just stealing shit became viable.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: May 02, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »

Quote from: Revision Votes (5 dice)
Medium Docks Improvements: (3) Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk
Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization: (12) NAV, Kashyyk
Guerrilla Tactics: (4) NAV, helmacon, Jerick, Kashyyk
Makeshift Weapon Crafting: (1) NAV
Camouflaged Uniforms: (3) NAV, helmacon, Jerick

1 dice into preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections: (4) Helmacon , Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk

Save 1 die: (4) NAV, Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: May 02, 2018, 01:51:35 pm »

Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization: (12) NAV, Kashyyk
Makeshift Weapon Crafting: (1) NAV
Camouflaged Uniforms: (3) NAV, helmacon, Jerick

1 dice into preliminary research on sympathetic crystal connections: (4) Helmacon , Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk

Save 1 die: (4) NAV, Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk

Kashyyk, I'm sure you're a great person with bigly personality, but you don't count as 11 people for the purposes of voting.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: May 02, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »

Darn, you have discovered my plot.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:07 pm »

hey so i just had a thought, what if we improved our shroud tech, My thoughts are to make a bunch of mini hexagon shaped shrouds with several overlapping layers of them, generated by a bunch of mini core crystals, they would be mildly more concentrated, and the fact that it is several hundred small shrouds means that when one part of the shroud goes down the whole thing does not, which allows damaged sections of the shield to regenerate.
My Power armor arms race

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: May 02, 2018, 03:01:18 pm »

That sounds very high effort and low effect compared to other shroud improvements we can make. Like allowing shrouds strength to be focussed in a specific direction (which would be optimized because our vipers and mobile covers both take most of their hits to the front.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: May 02, 2018, 03:03:43 pm »

Explain why? Mostly asking because there may be ways I can change it, plus using mini crystals means we can mount at least one or two on our infantry as a shield.
But i would upvote focused shrouds.
My Power armor arms race

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: May 02, 2018, 03:28:26 pm »

You have to understand the more complex the design is relative to what we already have the more difficult it is and the higher we need to roll to get anything worth while out. Now the several hundred mini core hexagon shield is actually pretty complex. The mini cores would be worth a design by themselves and connecting a large number of them would also be rather difficult. The fact shroud strength increases exponentially with size means we'd need a very large number of them to match current cores. The end result is something that inevitably uses a lot of crystal and due to it's complexity is unlikely to produce a usable design. Shapeable shrouds on the other hand builds on past crystal handling technologies and will be both far cheaper and be much more likely to succeed.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: May 02, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »

In defense of makeshift weapon workshops:
Makeshift trench clubs were a vital weapon in WW1 trenches. Spires aren't too different from trenches.
We still pay ore equip squads with swords. Makeshift melee weapons aren't much worse than swords and they're free.
With the rate of fire of a witch-hunter, or the possibility of overheating and free hand a pistol offers, having a melee weapon at your side is still an advantage.
We send people into battle with just slings. Makeshift bows, crossbows, or staff slings are better ranged weapons than that.
Molotovs are good. Poor man's grenade.
Wreth still uses shitty crossbows. Even a makeshift wooden shield can block their bolts.
Our baseline, 0 invested COWS squad will be permanently significantly improved.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:49:36 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:37 pm »

Medium DOkcs improvement (2 dice):(1) Wizgrot
Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization: (3) NAV, Kashyyk, Wizgrot
Makeshift Weapon Crafting: (2) NAV
Camouflaged Uniforms: (4) NAV, helmacon, Jerick, Wizgrot

Save 1 die: (5) NAV, Rockeater, Jerick, Kashyyk, Wizgrot

Makeshift weapon crafting would arm our Militias. It is crucial for their battle performance. And while guerrilla tactics is nice, we already have a good tactic that can work: Bait and Strike, which will be further reinforced by the Camouflaged uniforms.

I would propose using two dice on the Medium docks revision, so we can ensure at least a 5 or so. This should be enough for an extra Viper: remember that revisions spent when the design has yet to happen are worth thrice or more.

That way, we would be improving our performance in Blackstone while having a good chance of 4 vipers per turn.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 02, 2018, 09:18:29 pm »

remember that revisions spent when the design has yet to happen are worth thrice or more.

The only thing we have ever been told is that revisions have more impact before the final version. I have no idea where you are getting this "thrice" thing. I think it's much more likely a 1.5 times, or maybe a 2 times.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 02, 2018, 10:07:42 pm »

Revisions that are made before a project is completed do not suffer from diminishing returns, and are easier when they involve restructuring the weapon in any significant way.

Diminishing returns here refers to the diminishing returns rule specified in the OP, where multiple revisions to the same tech are incrementally less effective regardless of whether or not they are correlated. It does not mean that you can do the same revision three times and stack the effects without bound.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »

Revisions that are made before a project is completed do not suffer from diminishing returns, and are easier when they involve restructuring the weapon in any significant way.

Diminishing returns here refers to the diminishing returns rule specified in the OP, where multiple revisions to the same tech are incrementally less effective regardless of whether or not they are correlated. It does not mean that you can do the same revision three times and stack the effects without bound.

In other words, The first revision is more or less the same before or after project completion. It's not until we go a second time that it's giving us something extra. We are also not looking to re-purpose the docks in any way, so we won't get any bonus there either.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178