Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150810 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #990 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:20 am »

This is effectively officer training, in that it applies to all our existing tactics and teaches our officers to use the Z-axis in their tactics.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 29, 2017, 05:02:45 am »

While the idea behind Vertical Envelopment seems good, could we add a comment about maybe using the grapple gear when available to bypass stuff by going outside the spire? Or up otherwise unclimbable areas, or down them, and so on.

Quote from: votes
Plans:
[1] Design "Dart" (3 dice) + Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + bank 1 die : helmacon
[2] Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 1w, 1s) + Vanguard (1 die, 2o, 2c) + bank 2 dice : Jerick, Kashyyk
[2] Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 1w, 1s) + Design 'Vertical Envelopment: Taricus, Happerry

New projects:
Dart
Link Trim Web
Vertical Envelopment
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 29, 2017, 08:56:56 am »

Vertical envelopement synergizes very well with grenades. Please add the note about grappling hook use though.

Quote from: votes
Plans:
[1] Design "Dart" (3 dice) + Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + bank 1 die : helmacon
[2] Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 1w, 1s) + Vanguard (1 die, 2o, 2c) + bank 2 dice : Jerick, Kashyyk
[3] Aether Grenades (2 dice, 4o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 1w, 1s) + Design 'Vertical Envelopment: Taricus, Happerry, NAV

New projects:
Dart
Link Trim Web
Vertical Envelopment
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 29, 2017, 02:46:41 pm »

Alright, I'll let a bit more time pass, but I'll roll up the design results soon-ish.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 29, 2017, 09:30:28 pm »

Aether Grenades
Progress: 11/11 (6, one die refunded!)

Aether Grenades are dubbed completed, with barely a cursory prototype, in a storm of explosions and bitter cursing- a storm that ends in whatever silly grudge the engineering team was fighting over this time ending with several second degree burns and one completely immolated lab later.

It's the sort of thing you'll be able to laugh about later.

Much, much later.

Prototype
[Efficacy: 5 Cost: 4 Bugs: 3]

Despite its rushed nature, the engineers do good work. While the name of the grenades is still undetermined, and the engineers are fond of ever more elaborately descriptive names, their efficacy is unquestionable. Each grenade is a sphere of copper, about the size of a fist, and easily thrown or stowed on the person. To activate the grenade, the marine pulls out a slim clip of metal from the top, which releases a springbolt attached to a resistive gear, allowing a few seconds before the metal springbolt bridges a circuit between a precharged weapon's crystal and a pre-charged sliver of core crystal. The connection instantly overloads the weapon's crystal, destroying it and vaporizing the grenade (and anything in the immediate vicinity) in a flash of expanding hard aether. The grenade casing provides little in the way of fragmentation, though that goal is usually achieved when the ground below the grenade explodes due to thermal shock. While only equivalent in power to about 25% of an LAC blast, the crystals it's capable of using safely are of such low quality that they'd be very nearly worthless for any other application.

Her only real bugs stem from the flaws intrinsic to her cheaply made timing system. It's meant to allow five seconds of time before the gap gets bridged- but that time can vary by about two seconds in either direction. Soldiers are encouraged to never, ever, 'cook' grenades. 

Aetheric Grenades: Cost: 1 Crystal, 1 ore to give one to every man in a squad, or four to every member of a fireteam. | Fist sized grenades carrying tiny precharged weapon and core crystals, capable of exploding after a delay of 5-ish seconds. Cheap assembly means that the soldier is never sure where in the realm of 5-ish that delay is. Roughly a quarter as powerful as an LAC blast, and operates primarily on the initial blast of plasma and burning metal. An ordinary marine can currently (safely) carry up to four grenades. Each round, every man in a fireteam has a 75% chance to use a grenade. This is evaluated per fireteam, not per man.

Signal Flashers
Progress: 9/10 (1)

There's a stack of papers that comes in justifying why there still isn't a streamlined program for training new comms officers. Shockingly, absolutely none of it manages to contain a decent explanation of WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE SPENDING ADDITIONAL MONEY ON.

Vertical Envelopment
[Time: 5  Progress: 2 Cost: 1]

Making the use of three dimensions (something aeronauts are intimately aware of) a mandatory requirement for our ground forces is, somehow, trickier than expected. On the surface it's an adjustment of infantry training coupled with intensive training maneuvers. The problem is that most of those training maneuvers don't make a damn bit of sense to be done on Spire Kasgyre. The pure spirestone of a true Spire is fundamentall different than the cave-riddled demense of a demi-spire. Thus, marines are basically sent out onto field-trips to the nearby home spires in order to practice in unfamiliar climbs. Organizing these expeditions so that the marines don't interfere with local industry, but can still work in known and controlled conditions, is tricky and takes some work, but it's not actually the most expensive part.

The expensive part is the damn brass. Several higher ranking officials insist on traveling with the marines and overseeing them, sending costs up strikingly as the send the bill back to the academy, who immediately passes the buck to you. It's frustrating, but also unavoidable. At least once a formal curriculum is set up, you can theoretically either just build them satellite offices or send them back to their normal quarters.

Vertical Envelopment 2/13 | 3 from each of COWS + 4 from Any combination of COWS | Rushed 0 times | Nothing Invested

It is now the revision phase. You have 1 die to spend.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13/y Crystal, 14/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 17/85 banked
19/y Wood, 47/95 banked
10/y Silk, 35/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:55:51 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 30, 2017, 12:43:24 am »

Well, I guess we just need to dump off whole bloody crates of grenades whenever they get deployed, but I'm reasonably happy with that one. Cheap as well, thankfully. I'm definitely liking the idea of every man in a squad being able to carry the same damage output as their portable cannon, for the same cost as an aether gauntlet.

Anyway, an obvious option for our revision die is to fix the timer on the Aether Grenade, but I'd also be very keen on throwing a revision at raw resource output still. We're getting starved for crystal and ore, and there is no way we can afford to make progress on Vertical Envelopment and feed the war effort.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 30, 2017, 12:56:05 am »

Well, I guess we just need to dump off whole bloody crates of grenades whenever they get deployed, but I'm reasonably happy with that one. Cheap as well, thankfully. I'm definitely liking the idea of every man in a squad being able to carry the same damage output as their portable cannon, for the same cost as an aether gauntlet.

Anyway, an obvious option for our revision die is to fix the timer on the Aether Grenade, but I'd also be very keen on throwing a revision at raw resource output still. We're getting starved for crystal and ore, and there is no way we can afford to make progress on Vertical Envelopment and feed the war effort.

Oh, I realized I actually wrote two version of that. The one in the Tech spoiler is the correct one. Sorry for the confusion. Basically it makes more sense now, so there's actually a difference between the 4 and 1 options.

Fixed.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 30, 2017, 01:02:55 am »

2 rounds of grenades minimum for 1, 1 cost? Sounds good to me.

It's a shame the training ended up so expensive though.

Production increase ought to be it's own design. Let's bank the dice for now, the timer thing isn't that big of a deal. They aren't blowing up in our face, and the unpredictability of the timer means the enemy can't just safely chuck them back.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 30, 2017, 01:37:08 am »

I feel like I remember Draig saying that a revision die could net us a few units of resources on a decent roll. Of course that's not much but it would only cost a single die and I feel like dice are actually less valuable than ore and crystal at the moment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 30, 2017, 01:46:42 am »

We can rush the production with dice each time we pay for it normally, that is a much better use of dice then gambling.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 30, 2017, 01:51:52 am »

We can, but we either take penalties to our bug roll, or we just straight up get a bug every time we do that. That bug will the cost a die to revise out, so we're still spending the same number of dice, just saving some resources. (Not a bad tactic, but I'd rather just have more resources to be honest)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 30, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »

Well, time for the requisite round of poke-a-bloke.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 30, 2017, 03:30:37 pm »

Fragmentation revision:
The structure of the grenade is reworked. It now uses copper coated iron, in thick grooved chunks. There are 42 chunks total. The grooves provide easy separation of the chunks during the blast. They are painted navy blue.

Since it's just the timer that is the problem, i'm not too worried about fixing that. So long as they reliably ignite each time, we don't have to worry about the enemy returning them, or them not going off in critical situations. All it really means is that we can't "cook" the grenades. I would much rather have decent fragmentation, as it will be devastatingly effective the tunnels and enclosed environments we are fighting in.   

Quote from: Revision vote
Fragmentation revision: [1] : Helmacon

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 30, 2017, 03:48:41 pm »

Maneuvering Flaps
Also called Aerial rudders, this revision adds light but sturdy frames covered in fabric attached to our airships. These fabric covered frames can be rotated, locked or unlocked into their current rotation or folded up all from within the airship. These flaps can assist in turning and directing the airship. They also perform better the greater the airspeed of the airship. This means that an airship equipped with these flaps will be more maneuverable during a gravity assisted dive than during level flight.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 30, 2017, 03:55:13 pm »

Bayonets
Since we stopped issuing our soldiers swords, they stopped having a functional close combat weapon. Instead of cutlasses, we should give them bronze knives which can be attached to the end of a crossbow or a stick if you're desperate.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 178