Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150807 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #945 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »

Quote from: votes
Bait and Strike: [5] Jerick, Taricus, Kashyyk, Blueturtle, Helmacon
Target Prioritization: [2] Jerick, Blueturtle
Formalised Pulse Codes: [3] Taricus, Kashyyk, Helmacon

Helmacon's votes added.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 24, 2017, 09:16:12 pm »

Quote from: votes
Bait and Strike: [6] Jerick, Taricus, Kashyyk, Blueturtle, Helmacon, NAV
Target Prioritization: [2] Jerick, Blueturtle
Formalised Pulse Codes: [4] Taricus, Kashyyk, Helmacon, NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 25, 2017, 07:08:34 am »

Cool. I think we're decided, so I guess we get to wait on Wreth for once?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 25, 2017, 07:11:39 am »

Cool. I think we're decided, so I guess we get to wait on Wreth for once?

Don't just wait - head over to Core and mock their beloved Bureaucracy.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 25, 2017, 11:13:50 am »

Bait and Strike
Efficacy: 6
The tactic is highly effective in combat trials, to the point that it's barely even considered a form of retreat action. While it's an inferior technique for gaining ground against the enemy, it's a superlative meat grinder against softer targets. Flexible attack patterns, false retreats, and apparent feints that can turn into very real attacks makes the Bait and Strike a demoralizing tactic to adopt against the enemy.

It's excellent at holding ground via defense in depth, and inflicting severe casualties in the process, but it won't be good at taking territory. It's also most effective in relatively close tunnels, as opposed to fighting in more open caverns.

Formalized Pulse Codes
Efficacy: 6
The testing group's compliance with the creation of shorthand codes is enthusiastic, and they lend a very military flavor to the language. The light gun language, between skilled operators, is capable of transmitting about fourteen words per minute of normal verbage, which comes to about 67 characters per minute, or a bit better than 1 letter per second. By breaking down common commands and orders into unique two letter identifiers, and creating certain signifiers, or pro-words, that are meant to precede more complex messages, the simple translation originally used to transcribe light pulses back into spoken language is able to take on new (and faster) meaning. The simplification is not universal, of course. It actually takes slightly longer to send the the sentence 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' due to the need of pro-words to indicate that the message contains no shorthand sequences, but consider how more quickly actual military information can by relayed, that's not really seen as a serious downside.

Essentially, this allows a comms officer to relay fleet orders very nearly as fast as they can be given, and can relay much more complex tactical information in a reasonable time-frame.

It is the beginning of the production, deployment, and tactics phase.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13/y Crystal, 7/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 8/85 banked
19/y Wood, 29/95 banked
10/y Silk, 26/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 25, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »

Well, we don't need to worry about taking territory with bait and switch: the can't defend if they're dead.

But DAYUM we got nice and lucky on those rolls and then some. Can't wait to see those signal officers co-ordinating our ships.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »

I'm of the opinion that this game will be won by the side that makes the best use of resources. Equipping marines takes a lot of resources as we know which means that killing off enemy marines isn't just good for capturing a spire. If the enemy diverts resources into reinforcing with marines it diverts resources away from the air war. Attrition of enemy marines causes a whole slew of problems for the enemy. In short this new tactic is fantastic. It'll allow us to kill a whole bunch of their troops using less equipment and marines than they've deployed. It's also really hard to counter.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

The only way they can effectively counter is shock tactics. Which understandably won't work unless they can actually move faster than us.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 25, 2017, 01:58:10 pm »

Shock tactics also play against everything they've developed for ground combat. The field gun and the barricades would have to be left behind.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 25, 2017, 01:59:33 pm »

Exactly. They've dug themselves too deep into the hole that is french WWI tactics.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 25, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »

I wonder if we have any chance of capturing their cannon with this new tactic?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 25, 2017, 03:48:12 pm »

Here's hoping we'll get to claim once we've killed all their Marines,  unless it is lost like all the other equipment is upon death of a squad. Either way, this means grenades are a much less pressing need. When I'm not on my phone I'll come up with a battle plan.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:41 pm »

Having discussed a few things on discord, I think our little signal flashers can give us insight into a pretty new powerful weapon type.

Flashlight
After a few... accidents involving our signal flashers and some cases of blindness, high command has picked up on the potential of it to be used in combat: Our enemies would be blinded if hit by these new weapons and if they're blind they cannot fight.

Effectively a directed beam of light not dissimilar to that of a signal flasher, only more powerful, the flashlight is intended to be pointed at the enemy and kept pointed at them until the user is sure the Wrethi scum has been blinded by Kasgyr's radiant glory.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »

Mmm hmm. Love the smell of sixes in the morning.

Going off of what jerick said, this is another great reason to invest in elite ranger/commando units. The quality of a marine is essentially a multiplier for how much return we get on marine equipment. Essentially, if your men are twice as good, you only need to out fit half as many. This makes reinforcement and resupply less stressful as well, because reinforcements have more impact. You don't have to worry about protecting 3 different transports full of expensive equipment when you just have one transport of badasses.

Elite troops give you the most bang for your buck.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »

Only we have to train marines to that level in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 178