Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150781 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #915 on: August 23, 2017, 12:44:55 am »

They would have had to build another transport to be doing that.

Considering the losses we took from wild life at the TC I'm going to assume they wouldn't be able to just waltz in and cap one of the other spires like that.

Instead of scout squads let's make ranger squads and make it a full design.
Better solders with a full understanding of tactics. They are capable of assessing a situation and choosing the best tactic available to them without direct orders. Capable of operating independently as scouts, or working in unison, supporting a larger force with surgical strikes to remove opposition.

Let's just do scouting as a tactic. That way we can just slap it on an extra marine squad for a turn when we need info.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:15 am »

I think it might be worth making some marines with Grapple Gear and seeing if we can get around their cannon by literally going around it, sometime soon. I doubt they have more then one or two of the cannons, and said cannons can't be everywhere. The other tactic that might work with that fact in mind is to make pokes at more then one point of contact, and then only push at the ones that they don't have a cannon at.

But for now the blinkers and grenades are probably our top priority.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 23, 2017, 10:25:39 am »

Quote from: Votes
Aether Grenades (3 dice, 9o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 1 die : [1] Kashyyk

For Draig's sanity.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 23, 2017, 10:29:43 am »

Aether Grenades (3 dice, 9o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 1 die : [1] Kashyyk
Aether Grenades (2 dice, 6o, 4c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 2 dice : [1] Taricus
We don't know what bugs we're going to get in the grenades, rather have some dice in reserve to fix them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 23, 2017, 10:39:06 am »

Aether Grenades (3 dice, 9o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 1 die : [1] Kashyyk, NAV
Aether Grenades (2 dice, 6o, 4c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 2 dice : [1] Taricus
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 23, 2017, 10:42:08 am »

Aether Grenades (3 dice, 9o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 1 die : [2] Kashyyk, Nav
Aether Grenades (2 dice, 6o, 4c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 2 dice : [2] Taricus, Jerick
So how many ones and sixes do people think we'll roll? My money is on two of each. As for the two dice even if we don't need them for fixing bugs I'd like to be able to use them for Target Prioritization and Flank+Fighting retreat tactics revisions.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:50 pm »

Bayonets are something we should probably do as a revision.
The prototype witch-hunter had a bayonet, so we definitely have something to revise it from. Just make it a practical stabbing knife blade instead of an impractical hooked beak.

Our boys with crossbows could stick them on the ends of those, and our boys without could put them on the end of a stick to make a spear.

It will save us ore for each squad we equip. Historically any army that was short on metal used spears instead of swords. Might cost some wood though for the hafts.

Bayonets would keep their value throughout the game by going on the ends of infantry weapons long past the point where swords would be obsolete.

A group of spears usually wins against a group of swords because of greater reach. Also anyone with a Rifle equivalent would be better in melee.

Probably wouldn't be worth it as a design, but would be worth it as a revision. Even if the only real effect is trading one ore for one wood per squad.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:26 pm »

Why don't we make the bayonet just a large knife that straps to the crossbow? A spear would likely require dedicated production, but a knife is just a knife. Revise it out of our swords and it would likely only cost 1 ore per full squad. maybe free if we rolled a 6 in costs.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 23, 2017, 01:37:49 pm »

Technically we already have a prototype that has a bayonet. Wouldn't be difficult to re-add the beak so that it feasts of Wrethi butt (That needs to be in the battle report if we ever do this Draig :D)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »

Alright, I'll give you guys a bit to scream at one another reach consensus, but I'd like to move on to revisions soon.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »

Aether Grenades (3 dice, 9o, 6c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 1 die : [2] Kashyyk, Nav
Aether Grenades (2 dice, 6o, 4c) + Signal Flashers (2 dice, 2w, 2s) + bank 2 dice : [3] Taricus, Jerick, BBBence1111

I wonder if nettally would work on this site....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:25:43 pm by BBBence1111 »
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 23, 2017, 02:50:24 pm »

I'm voting for three dice into Aether Grenades over two, because three gives us a 98.15% chance of a prototype as well as a 62.50% chance of completing the project, compared to a 83.33% chance of prototype and 16.67% chance of completion. I honestly want to get as many grenades as possible, so we can blast our way through their defenses.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 23, 2017, 04:22:49 pm »

Alright, I'll start rolling dice and writing up progress soon. Last call.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 23, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »

Aether Grenades
Progress: 5/11 (2+2)  1d2: 1. No Prototype.

Work continues on the experimental aetheric grenades- work punctuated by explosions and frequent requests for more materials. Mistrust continues, and progress is notably below expected levels.

Signal Flashers
Progress: 8/10 (1+5)

Work on the signal flashers continues a bit slowly, but at acceptable levels. The actual physical devices are largely complete, save for a few potential changes to the shutters and interior reflectors. The larger project is the experimental language that goes along with the flashers, the initial draft of which is going into field testing imminently.

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3 Cost: 2 Bugs: 5]

'Serviceable' would be the best phrase to describe the new signal flashers and the resulting language developed for them. In order to prevent as much language confusion as possible, the language has no color coding and works entirely on the basis of short and long flashes. The lightgun used is something akin to a very large pistol, with a fist sized lumin crystal sealed in a reflective chamber. Two triggers on the grip, one for the middle finger and one for the pointer finger, link to a clockwork mechanism that controls the shutter over the lumin crystal. One trigger shoots short pulses, the other shoots long pulses. The mechanism is slightly complex, and the individuals in charge of cost analysis are quick to point out that this could have been done much more simply and cheaply with a single trigger and the operator controlling pulse length manually.

The language itself... Well, it takes some getting used to. Each letter is basically transcribed as a series of short and long flashes, which means that sentences can take a considerably long time to send. Speeding up the process by decreasing the time between flashes proves difficult as it greatly reduces the odds that the communications operator will be able to correctly decode the message. The men and women trained in the nascent prototype language quickly resorted to shorthand communications symbols, but a lack of standardization in the official training can make these impromptu code phrases more confusing than helpful.

In short, the lightguns work perfectly (if they're a little expensive), but the training for the language is needlessly complex. The actual language is effective at its job, but takes a considerable amount of time to communicate information. That being said, it's still miles better than any other current method of ship-to-ship communication.

Projected Cost: One squad of marines, 1 crystal, 1 ore, per set of 3 communications officers. Each ship needs only a single communications officer.

It is the beginning of the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13/y Crystal, 7/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 8/85 banked
19/y Wood, 29/95 banked
10/y Silk, 26/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 23, 2017, 05:13:05 pm »

(ノ°Д°)ノ︵ |

I think this is one of those times I can say "I told you so".

I'll be back once I work out what to do now.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 178