Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"  (Read 8659 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:14 pm »

I'd say make one project to work on high-velocity updates to our cannons, a medium project, instead of the autocannon updates.

Also, NAMES. We're *not* going Arstotzkan! But darnit, we need more cultural background. Somebody with a modicum of creativity, get to work on that!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OK. I think the formatting is now OK. Inserted my votes. I've not got any original names. Like I said: I need some sort of background info first. Like in regular AR, where the nations have personality.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »

Names depend on performance aswell as design. This is a multi-stage thing, we can assign names to the designs worthy of them. Also, dont bring up Arstotska/Cannala/etc, they arent in this universe.

Also, (incoherent screaming of being happy this is back)

(will edit in number of suggested variants/new suggestions)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:21:33 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 07:09:31 pm »

I'll happily support renaming the designs I posted; the designations there are basically as placeholders.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:03 pm »

Have a pile of suggestions.

2.2: Work should also be done on giving the weapon detachable box magazines of atleast ten rounds and a detachable stock.

3.2: Ammunition is to be fed via decintergrating belts, able to be carried in a wire-stiffened bag.

5.2: Also mounts 1x 40mm cannon. Torpedos are to be 500mm in diamiter wet-heater designs.(we dont seem to have a torpedo design assuch)

6.2: Utilize a lighter round instead, namley the 6x45mm round and a ten round magazine.

7: M21 grenade: A high explosive fragmentation weapon designed to be thrown by infantry. The weapon is to be roughly 750 grams, with a 75 gram bursting charge and a timed fuze of 4-5 seconds. The weapon has a smooth exterior and measures 4.5cm across.

8: M1891/21 Grenade Discharger: This weapon basically consists of heavily modified Mosin Nagant with a side-mounted addittional reciever(linked to the trigger, but with a single shared bolt between the two) which is itself attached to a discharger cup capible of holding a lightly-modified M21 grenade. and is thus able to launch a grenade aprox. 200m when utilizing blank cartrages.
(inspiration is provided by the Model 1928 Tromboncino grenade launcher)

9: M21 75mm mortar: A smooth bore stokes pattern mortar intended to weigh roughly 60kg and be assembled out of three parts by a crew of three. The weapon is to have a range of two kilometers and be able to fire a 4kg HE warhead.

Beta: Construct a firing range and office for calculating range tables for artillery on various forms of ground.
Gamma: See about getting our nations hands on a FT-17 or three. They may be small, but they are a good place to start.

Quote from:  Proposal Tracker
1 - Belt-Fed Improved Light cannon - Medium Project - I propose we increase muzzle velocity and introduce a belt fed system for the light cannon.

2.1 The Model 1921 Sidearm; A ten round semi-automatic pistol using a 10x25mm cartridge. The round should have decent stopping power and the pistol should be fairly comfortable to use and reliable. [Small Project]
1 - VOI,
2.2 Weapon design is also to include 10+ round detachable box magazine and detachable stock

3. The Model 1921 Machine Gun; a belt fed, air-cooled machine gun utilising the 8x54mm cartridge of the Mosin-Nagant, the Model 1921 is intended to be carried by a single soldier (And a second man to carry the ammo). A benchmark of 600rpm is set as the minimum for the gun to be deemed successful, and the weapon should be reliable. [Medium Project]
1 - VOI,
3.2: Ammunition is to be fed via decintergrating belts, able to be carried in a wire-stiffened bag.

4. The Model 1921 Trench Gun; A Pump action shotgun using 12mm buckshot cartridges, the box magazine, identical to the Mosin-Nagants, holds five shells and as a first is intended to be detachable from the gun. A short, easily handled weapon idea for close quarters combat as a primary weapon. [Small Project]

5. The M21 Torpedo boat; a fast, petrol engine boat mounting two torpedo tubes and a few Mosins for the crew. Intended to be a light, cheap addition to the navy that can be mass-produced and used as auxiliaries to the main fleet to keep the coastline safe. [Large Project]
1 - VOI,
5.2: Also mounts 1x 40mm cannon. Torpedoes are to be 500mm in diameter wet-heater designs.

6. The SAMN-1921; a semi-automatic rifle chambered in 8x54mm, with a five round removable magazine, and using a gas operated, Rotating bolt. [Medium Project]
6.2: Utilize a lighter round instead, namely the 6x45mm round, and a ten-round magazine.

7. M21 grenade; a 750 gram 45mm fragmentation grenade with smooth exterior walls and a 75 gram bursting charge.

8. M1891/21 grenade discharger; a modification of the Mostin-Nagant into a short carbine with the ability to launch a M21 grenade.

9. M21 75mm mortar; a three-piece medium mortar with a range of 2000m and 4kg HE warheads to start with.

A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:

α - Clear out the sunken destroyer and get the wharf ready to build.
1 - VOI,

Beta: Construct a firing range and office for calculating range tables for artillery on various forms of ground.

Gamma: See about getting our nations hands on a FT-17 or three.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:29 pm »

Wait, don't we already have a torpedo boat?

How is this new one different then the old one.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:18 pm »

No. We have a TBD, AKA a Torpedo Boat Destroyer....also known as a destroyer. A torpedo boat is MUCH smaller, more like a large speedboat, with enormously powerful engines for its size and mounting only some torpedoes. It gets in close, fires the torpedoes, and gets out.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:24 pm »

So something like:

Torpedo Boat
Length: 15m
Displacement: 86 metric tons (??? long tons)
Propulsion: 1mW (1333p)
Speed: 41 km/h

Armor: negligible
Crew: 10
Armament:
1 40mm auto-cannon turrets
4 2 ton torpedo tubes with 2 reloads each

Tonnage Allocations:
20 tons diesel propulsion (1 ton = 20kw)
25 tons speed boat parts
5 tons secondary cannons
12 tons of torpedo systems
24 tons of torpedo

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 10:35:15 pm »

No. We have a TBD, AKA a Torpedo Boat Destroyer....also known as a destroyer. A torpedo boat is MUCH smaller, more like a large speedboat, with enormously powerful engines for its size and mounting only some torpedoes. It gets in close, fires the torpedoes, and gets out.
They are primarily much cheaper than what they are shooting at...

10.1 Large CF80a-1921 "Gladius Pile": I propose a conversion of the 80mm naval gun to a high-precision side-loaded towed field-gun for counter-battery and anti-aircraft roles. The barrel should be separately transported, rifled, and long. There should be an armoured shield to protect the crew. It should feature pneumatic suspension to negate recoil to the platform. Velocity and range must be increased. Attempt to implement a 3-round sealed detachable electric-motor hopper powered by a field generator. Timed fuses preferred. See to it that optics and mechanical aiming are refined and elegant.

11.1 Medium CH160a-1921 "Dinosaur Rift": I propose a 160mm bombardment howitzer based upon the 160 mm naval cannon. The goal is to produce a large volume of utterly devastating fire. A side-loaded, medium-length, smooth-bore barrel on an unadorned gun with spring suspension and a removable barrel. It should be relatively cheap and light while making few if any concessions from its current performance.

12.1 Small CM40a-1921 "Cute Apple": 40mm Infantry Mortar for close-range fire support to infantry forces.

13.1 Large AF400a-1921 "Molar Joy": A fighter-styled Biplane with a range of 400kilometres intended for air defence and balloon hunting.

If we can supply our troops with large quantities of heavy artillery then they can grind the enemy down with systematic ease. We can get clever once we have a solid backbone to our forces.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:36:54 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:20 am »

GORYL, GORYL to 10ebbor10!

In my opinion, our most likely (first) enemy is going to be Echar. This means we'll face land battles. And what wins land battles? That's right, artillery.

@10ebbor10: Do we have to design the shells ourselves?

GM-21 "Ratio" Gun-Howitzer
Intended to fulfill both the role of field gun and howitzer, the GM-21 (Gun Medium 1921) Ratio Gun-Howitzer introduces the new calibre of 105mm into our forces. At more than twice the explosive load of the currently-used 80mm shells while still being far more mobile than the 160mm-calibre guns, it will form the backbone of our army.
It features modern artillery features: A horizontal sliding block breech, hydropneumatic recoil absorption, and a rubber-wheeled split-trail carriage. Befitting its role, it  can elevate to a maximum of 45° for maximum range. The ammunition is loaded in several parts - the basic one is the shell plus a base propellant charge. Up to three additional propellant charges can be added to increase range. The shells come in three versions: High explosive, smoke, and illumination.
Inspired by the M101 howitzer and the 10.5mm leFH.

Plan Fire Support
14: GM-21 "Ratio" - Large Project
3: Model 1921 Machine Gun - Medium Project
7: M21 Grenade - Small Project OR
shells for the GM-21

This gives us awe-inspiring fire support through the Ratio and the Machine Gun, which both are the killers of the 20th century. The grenade should be extremely useful to clean out trenches and buildings, and is a small project. If we, however, need to design new shells too, it will be replaced by the GM-21 shells to make that usable.
Thoughts?

I've also cleaned up the proposal tracker.
Spoiler: Proposal Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:27:45 am by 3_14159 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 02:17:59 am »

They come with the cannon, but feel free to provide the details.

Also, NAMES. We're *not* going Arstotzkan! But darnit, we need more cultural background. Somebody with a modicum of creativity, get to work on that!

Yeah, we kind of need a name for the nation.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 02:39:49 am »

They come with the cannon, but feel free to provide the details.
Edited it in.
Yeah, we kind of need a name for the nation.
Aquion?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 03:29:10 am »

Inspired by the M101 howitzer and the 10.5mm leFH.

Plan Fire Support
14: GM-21 "Ratio" - Large Project
3: Model 1921 Machine Gun - Medium Project
7: M21 Grenade - Small Project OR
shells for the GM-21

This gives us awe-inspiring fire support through the Ratio and the Machine Gun, which both are the killers of the 20th century. The grenade should be extremely useful to clean out trenches and buildings, and is a small project. If we, however, need to design new shells too, it will be replaced by the GM-21 shells to make that usable.
Thoughts?
I think that you should add the project's size to the description of the project itself. You have got it in there, but I feel as though, should the G.M. complain, then you don't really have a solid defence...
I kind of shivered at the 105mm calibre. It was sort of obvious that it was based on a real weapon and I like moving away from that. But then again, I am not the sanest of partici pants so... I mean, sure, there are good reasons for those calibres, but I feel that we can do really well with the 4/8/16/32/40/80/160/320 scheme. 105 is a bit shy to really demolish all comers, 160 is the nice old standby that will reduce pretty much anything. Now, sure, fielding 160s is tough, but if we really focus on it then we can get a healthy supply of massive artillery out and, well, more than anything else people generally wanted more artillery. If you get get some mad numbers up, like, say, 20 160mm howitzers to every brigade, then pretty much every battle can turn into a holding action and win. An 80 on the other hand is grand for something more subtle. It is difficult to get the famous 88 flak out of a 105. We want something precise and agile for primarily defensive fire against enemy artillery and spotters and such. A 105 could certainly be a wonderful weapon, but I don't feel that the benefits outweigh the pretty numerical scheme and advantage of limiting our range of calibres. So, in short, I have a personal vendetta against your chosen calibre and challenge you to pistols 160mm howitzers at dawn!
And I sort of drifted into why I want to flood the world with artillery instead of mussing about with infantry weapons.
And I also revealed why I have a vendetta against 10x25mm pistols, 12mm buckshot, 45mm grenade launchers, and 75mm mortars... Real Warriors use 16mm buckshot and love the recoil! Legends of the revolution carry a 32mm buckshot in each hand and shoot 16mm H.V. sniper rounds out of their noses! Although, honsetly, 12 is almost inoffensive. It at least tries to be neatly between 8 and 16 even if there is clearly no need for such compromises.

A: Big Guns
16 heavy cannons
16 light cannons

It gives our infantry something to shoot with, in theory, not that they really have any means of using the things, but lets assume that is not the case, as they are listed and we are allowed to purchase. I at least hope to get a discount on upgrading them to a new design.

δ: Name our country "Juice Wagon"

ε: RAM has lost the right to name things and must pass a to-be-determined challenge to earn it back.

RAM VOTEs for 1, 5, 10.1, 11.1, 12.1, A, Beta, δ
Spoiler: Proposal Tracker (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 05:48:39 am »

Let us name ourselves "People's protectorate of Quetzac".
Generally a modern communist aztec style nation...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 08:06:38 am »

Let us name ourselves "People's protectorate of Quetzac".
Generally a modern communist aztec style nation...

Let's not.

Ever.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:51 am »

Questions: Can we make ships now or do we need to clear out that sunken ship?

In general, we should be preparing for a long naval campaign but start out fixing up some things for our infantry.

1 - Belt-Fed Improved Light cannon - Medium Project - I propose we increase muzzle velocity and introduce a belt fed system for the light cannon.

The light cannon says it can fire 60 rounds per minute but can only hold 10 rounds in the hopper, so I have a comical image of a guy standing over it just frantically dumping boxes of ammo in it.

α - Clear out the sunken destroyer and get the wharf ready to build.

Well while in our circumstances we will need a belt feed system, hopper feed auto-cannons are known to be workable even with rates of fire up to 330 rounds a min it just required all of the ammo to be in an easy to reach spot and something like 1 to 3 loaders per gun. The advantages of the hopper system over belt feed is that the gun is lighter as you don't need mechanisms strong enough to pull the belt to load the next shell, and that assuming heat and ammo is not an issue the gun would in theory be able to shoot forever un interrupted. The draw back is that it require a larger gun crew to make it effective which is not viable if space or man power is limited.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:36:32 am by Khang36 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10