Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42914 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/8
« Reply #465 on: September 25, 2017, 06:42:25 am »

"it would still be difficult utilizing the armor alongside any heavy weapons."
Does this mean that A: The BATMAN suit can only wield stuff like LMGs and rocket launchers for best efficiency or B: It makes heavy weapons a nightmare to wield when wearing.
it's over

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:35 am »

Why would you ever think it's A? That makes no sense given the quoted phrase.

No, you cannot use two pieces of heavy equipment together.

Plan A:
Purchase one BATMAN suit, equip the sword user.

Quote from: Votes
Plan A: (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:21 pm »

0: Zero Supporters:
0: Boring:
1: A: Madman198237
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »

1: A: Madman198237
If it has no votes, don't include it.

If you're willing to vote for it, you're willing to look it up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:36 pm »

Quote from: votes at a -1 offset
0: Zero Supporters: RAM
0: Boring: RAM
1: A: Madman198237, RAM
It is a long thread, it is easy to miss a proposal if one is not paying close attention or to accidentally skip a page without noticing or such. If all the options are listed then people know what options they have. Even if one has seen all the options it is still possible to forget one that caught you eye while considering others, or to not recall the names accurately or, well, all manner of things. Add to that the fact that it takes a lot of options before it actually becomes a problem. I really cannot fathom the concept that excluding nominees just because they have yet to attract support based purely upon aesthetics is even remotely supportable from any ethical perspective. So please list all options. If you are willing to vote then you are willing to look at what you can vote for.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:59 pm »

Ethics is not an issue with the vote box. We get a LOT of pointless design spam in other games because people just keep cranking out ideas, or, worse, variations on one idea, and then they shove them all in the vote box and act as though A. It makes sense (It's just clutter and meaningless clutter) and B. people remember the differences (They don't).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »

Voting and ethics are all over each other. voting is pretty much a purely ethics-based entity. Saying that a vote-box has nothing to do with ethics is like saying that a generator has nothing to do with electrical theory.

No such thing as a pointless design, they all come from some sort of intention. If the sole intent is humour, then fine, unless someone sees value in it regardless of its purely humour-based roots the it is just another piece of discussion and not actually a suggestion. On the other hand, if anyone at any point has genuinely thought that it would be worthwhile then it is a real suggestion, and no individual has any means of demonstrating the objective superiority necessary to dictate that someone else's proposal is not valid for listing.

Variations on an idea are really good. It is starting with a theme, seeing a way that it could potentially be better, an then offering a revised proposal that is, hopefully, better than any of the contributors could have achieved alone. Obviously proper labelling in important to differentiate similar proposals. I recall a particularly unfortunate...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A well-formatted votebox can completely negate all these issues. Currently there are three proposals, there are currently zero problems with clutter.

It is a votebox. It "makes sense" when it is a listing of items upon which can be voted. It is primarily used to tally votes. Find me a votebox that makes the actual current votes confusing and then there might be some evidence for such a things as a votebox that doesn't "make sense" due to votespam. If, on the other hand, one is looking at the votebox and expecting a divine bolt of inspiration to strike them with an epiphany of the true heart of the proposals that will blast away all confusion and leave them with total clarity of what they must do, then they are doing it wrong. Voteboxes aren't supposed to make that sort of sense... If you wanna vote for a pretty name, then go for it, plenty of people do, but if you want to actually know what you are voting for then you gotta go back and look everything up, and for that it sure would be nice if everything on offer were listed in some clear and accessible location...

Spotting the differences is a matter of clarity of naming. All of our current names are pretty terrible with respect to describing their content. "A" is, of course, the worst of the lot. "Zero supporters" is indicative of a lack of current trending elements and "Boring" highlights a lack of creativity. On can extract some minor level of data from that. It is extremely vague and has a great potential to be misleading, but there is at least some hints from which to extrapolate. "A" is the single most pointless, nonsensical, and difficult-to-remember thing in the whole votebox right now. Which speaks poorly of the source's ability to discern what most people are likely to recall, comprehend, and see purpose from.

The votebox is not a detailed exploration of the current proposals. It is a simple list to guide votes to valid proposals and collate votes to determine the most supported items. If clarity becomes so bad that nobody can identify a specific proposal that they wished to vote for, that people can't identify different proposals' titles so as to research their content, or that the G.M. can't figure out which proposal won, then yes, the clutter is out of hand. The clutter never gets that out of hand...
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

Nothing you said mattered, because it was a rant on voting and ethics in an ARMS RACE GAME.

Sorry, but when I reached the part about accusing "Plan A" about being the "worst" name I kinda got tired of it. It is, in fact, a neutral name, much, MUCH better than the two names that actively try to chase away voters. No, it's not got any means for voters to remember what it stands for, but it's better than the presented alternative plan-names by far.

Also, it doesn't NEED to be catchy, because it ultimately doesn't matter. This particular phase is different in that anyone who is voting here has to do research (i.e., actually reading the plan(s)) or they won't know enough to vote, so the names don't matter because you need to be looking for substance anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »

Eh. Don't have the time or effort to break up the fight right now. Either someone else take care of it, or at least direct them to argue about something more exciting and game relevant >_>.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2017, 12:57:20 am »

Quote from: Votes
0: Zero Supporters:
0: Boring:
2: A: Madman198237, Hibou

Aaaaanyway, RAM I pulled your votes off because I didn't know where you actually wanted to put yours, but I like plan A so I'm going with that. Our sword user isn't going anywhere, except out in front so its probably best he be protected.

Also, I feel like the BATMAN armor might be a little on the heavy side regardless of what we do with it. Some time in the future I'd like to look into a lighter, more mobile armor set to protect our lovely squad members who don't carry a magic sword.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 26, 2017, 01:26:44 am »

That is a good plan. We have most of our bases covered now, so we can move on to variations and specialities soon. I would like a non-unique short-ranged option, something to arm the brighteyes operators with, likely by making the brighteyes into a H.U.D. and somewhat automated detection system with intelligent alerts and such but a sidearm would likely also fit, and perhaps a marksman/sniper weapon? And we should consider magical alternatives or integration with all of these... But we could run off after wondertech right away if we wanted to! Or light armour, but perhaps a protection spell would be lighter and if it were tweaked to withstand a lot of punishment for a short period of time it could offer better protection provided people evacuate to get it refreshed after taking a hit... Perhaps a reactive lattice of spell potential to create counter explosions to repel force and ice effects to cancel the recoil from the fire-based explosions... Or use necromancy to briefly materialise a dummy poltergeist to telekinetically resist damage? Or a peril-sensitive ice-coating?
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 28, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »

Aaand one last thing. As there is a boss fight available, you will have to decide if you wish to perform it or a normal mission.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »

Quote from: Mission Plan Vote
Boss Fight: (1) Madman
Normal Mission:

Worst case, we lose equipment and lose face and have to go back to square one.

Except we won't, because we have the Grenade Launcher Of Awesome and our own version of an Armor, except cooler, because it blasts things with bursts of flashbang-laser.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:51 pm »

Quote from: Mission Plan Vote
Boss Fight: (1) Madman
1 Normal Mission: RAM

That seems fair, but I would rather bet on having another turn to refine our artillery first. It has lots of bugs and we really don't want it blowing up half-way through the mission. Or we could get a spell of some sort up-and-running. Basically I am willing to gamble on it not expiring for a turn or two,m and would rather be better prepared.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 28, 2017, 11:05:19 pm »

Actually, Stirk, how soon IS this mission going to expire? We have time/date/place, so should be easy to figure out.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42