Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42975 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/2
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2017, 09:41:31 pm »

Yes, but they aren't the actual enemy. They're a clue as to what makes the skeleton move, but in order to "win" the level, we do not have to kill them...although a way to capture or kill them would be nice. (Who ya gonna call? GHOST-BUSTERS!)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »

Yes, but they aren't the actual enemy. They're a clue as to what makes the skeleton move, but in order to "win" the level, we do not have to kill them...although a way to capture or kill them would be nice. (Who ya gonna call? GHOST-BUSTERS!)
How about I put this differently...

The Skeletons are basically Exosuits, being driven by Ghosts who aren't armed with any other weaponry, thus The Ghosts are the Combatants and have no means of directly attacking, Thus they Flee to Report to whoever is in charge of 'em with intelligence on our weapons when they can no longer fight, and the Skeletons are Equipment, and on their own(With out the ghosts) Unable to do anything.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2017, 09:51:51 pm »

OK. So, my question to you is: Then why bother with a rifle, if we're going to worry at all about the skeletons?

Just had a fun thought: What if we combine the SLUDG and ABC into a single grenade? It'd then be capable of gluing weaker creatures, and anything stronger would likely be debilitated by the ABC effects. Nothing says "Merry Flippin' Christmas, Science Division" like a glue-soaked chained-up chemical-warfare-victim of a skeleton.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »

OK. So, my question to you is: Then why bother with a rifle, if we're going to worry at all about the skeletons?

Just had a fun thought: What if we combine the SLUDG and ABC into a single grenade? It'd then be capable of gluing weaker creatures, and anything stronger would likely be debilitated by the ABC effects. Nothing says "Merry Flippin' Christmas, Science Division" like a glue-soaked chained-up chemical-warfare-victim of a skeleton.

A novel idea, for sure, but only if Greatness allows a single design of such complexity.
EDIT:Why am I so bad with names?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:26:35 am by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2017, 11:05:32 pm »

I don't think that sludg would work well with flashers. The one is sort-of point-blank direct-hit and the other is more of a middle-of-the-room radiant effect. Also the goo would block the bright stuff, creating shadows or requiring multiple flashers... I feel that sludg would work better as something like a shotgun slug that is inteded to actually hit the target.

Also, I feel that the skeletons are probably just skeletons, for the most part. What would be really nice is finding better ways to observe the controlling energy so that we can study it directly.

I feel that everyone should vote for my weapon because it is crazy-awesome(but we will roll all sixes so who cares!) and our cvurrent weaponry is a bit lacking, so just covering the basics will go a long way.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »

What if we were to scramble the nervous system in a different way while still bringing more firepower to the field?

With that, allow me to introduce the SG-1 shotgun.

This is a standard pump-action tube magazine shotgun design seen throughout police and military forces worldwide, however what sets this piece of hardware apart is its unique ammunition type.

The SG-EN-1 or ElectroNet™ round is designed to be fired as a standard 20 gauge slug would be, but the projectile itself is very different. The front end is encased in a special sabot that flies apart after leaving the muzzle, expanding into a two foot wide net of barbed steel wire. The rear half of the slug remains solid as it contains a small but powerful rapid discharge battery. Upon contact with the target the net is electrified, quickly dumping up to 5000 volts into the victim. Under special circumstances this would be enough to stop someone's heart, but the research team has assured me that because of the material and construction of the net a lot of that energy is lost to heat meaning that a human shot with this device might be be toasty, but otherwise alive.

The weapon is chambered in 20 gauge and could fire normal shotgun rounds such as buckshot or standard slugs, so the real brunt of the research could be focused on the round itself. Of course, researching a weapon and a round might be a bit much so I'll leave it up to the GM's discretion.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2017, 12:08:41 am »

A novel idea, for sure, but only if Greatness allows a single design of such complexity.

I'll have to ask him. But for now you will have to go with Stirk's ruling :-/.

Those effects can be combined in one design, yes (they all work to the same purpose, trying to incapacitate the enemy). That isn't to say they wouldn't be more effective separately, as the others have brought up.

What if we were to scramble the nervous system in a different way while still bringing more firepower to the field?

With that, allow me to introduce the SG-1 shotgun.

This is a standard pump-action tube magazine shotgun design seen throughout police and military forces worldwide, however what sets this piece of hardware apart is its unique ammunition type.

The SG-EN-1 or ElectroNet™ round is designed to be fired as a standard 20 gauge slug would be, but the projectile itself is very different. The front end is encased in a special sabot that flies apart after leaving the muzzle, expanding into a two foot wide net of barbed steel wire. The rear half of the slug remains solid as it contains a small but powerful rapid discharge battery. Upon contact with the target the net is electrified, quickly dumping up to 5000 volts into the victim. Under special circumstances this would be enough to stop someone's heart, but the research team has assured me that because of the material and construction of the net a lot of that energy is lost to heat meaning that a human shot with this device might be be toasty, but otherwise alive.

The weapon is chambered in 20 gauge and could fire normal shotgun rounds such as buckshot or standard slugs, so the real brunt of the research could be focused on the round itself. Of course, researching a weapon and a round might be a bit much so I'll leave it up to the GM's discretion.

The SG-EN-1 is also fine for a single design round.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2017, 12:35:08 am »

I'll have to ask him. But for now you will have to go with Stirk's ruling :-/.

lolololol, sorry Stirk. I'm bad with names.
Anyway, someone brought up a built-in multipurpose HUD for the helmets our squads are equipped with.
It'd be great, IMO. The censor bars for sanity preservation is good too.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 09:00:01 am »

I know all the objections to that design. That was a late-night burst of limp humor. That said, can you IMAGINE the horrors of getting hit with a single grenade and then waking up later encased in a solid cocoon of goo?

Speaking of which, before we deploy the SLUDG we'll likely want an incapacitating grenade, otherwise enemies might break free before the stuff hardens.

But hey, if you guys think our present rifle underperforms, whatever. We'll probably need a better one later. I do still want the ultimate grenade of zapping.

Stirk, from the time it's taken to get this far, I don't think votes are changing. *Hint, hint*. I won't be bothered if you were to roll the design ;)
I really just want to see what it does.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2017, 12:38:29 pm »

Quote from: qvote
2 Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle (RAM): RAM, Draignean | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464933#msg7464933
1 ABC Scrambler Grenades (Madman198237): Madman198237| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466560#msg7466560
1 "Shubbun" close assault gun (crazyabe): crazyabe| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466570#msg7466570
0 The "Merry Flippin' Christmas" ABC and SLUDG combo grenade: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466714#msg7466714
1 The SG-1 and SG-EN-1 "ElectroNet™" round: Hibou | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466771#msg7466771
0 Helmet Compatible Transparent Imaging: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464835#msg7464835

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »

Stirk, from the time it's taken to get this far, I don't think votes are changing. *Hint, hint*. I won't be bothered if you were to roll the design ;)
I really just want to see what it does.

Fair point.

Quote from: qvote
2 Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle (RAM): RAM, Draignean | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464933#msg7464933
1 ABC Scrambler Grenades (Madman198237): Madman198237| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466560#msg7466560
1 "Shubbun" close assault gun (crazyabe): crazyabe| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466570#msg7466570
0 The "Merry Flippin' Christmas" ABC and SLUDG combo grenade: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466714#msg7466714
1 The SG-1 and SG-EN-1 "ElectroNet™" round: Hibou | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466771#msg7466771
0 Helmet Compatible Transparent Imaging: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464835#msg7464835

The science is done, and you made a neat gun! The Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle is the winner, pulling ahead by a single vote!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Effectiveness: 1 Very Low
Cost: 8 High (70R)
Complications: 2 (Unreliable)

(The RNG hates you guys)

Times are still hard for the design team. The gun suffers from poor reliability, it often jams before a single magazine can be unloaded if utilizing automatic fire. If utilizing the hyper-burst fire, it jams even faster, with poor bolt timing often leading to the first shell getting stovepiped before the second shot can be fired. The underbarrel shotgun and bayonet-theoretically the salvation of soldiers with jammed guns in need of firepower quick-also suffer from quality issues. The shotgun often fails to fire, and the spikes have a habit of breaking off in their target. Finally, its over budget. Ignoring all of its issues, it is an accurate rifle. When fired in single shot (especially properly braced with the tool) it is significantly more accurate than the current models. The jams are also simple to clear. Its suggested that it may prove superior to our current armaments as long-distance confrontations.

80R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

It is now the production phase!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/2
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:17 pm »

Well crap.

I suppose that it's probably a good thing we didn't try the ABC grenade. Otherwise it probably would've proved to be toxic or some such and we'd have dead testers to explain.

On the plus side, maybe it would've proved deadly toxic and could've been used to kill zombies!

But anyway. Let's try producing a single one of these things. Warn the soldier who gets it that his job is to shoot things from a safe distance. On single fire. And never shalt thou useth thy option of automatic fire.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »

I wish to spend our production on getting new dice, and a die-smasher. Or perhaps we can zombify our engineers?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2017, 09:53:23 pm »

I agree.

Actually, screw it, let's just produce some smallish nuclear bombs and annihilate these silly sites. Nobody needs actual tech to clear them out if you can just nuke them!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »

0 Purchase yellowcake on the black market
1 One of each and some grenades on the side: Hibou

Well we know that it's useful at long ranges, and is serviceable in semi-auto. Why don't we we just pretend we meant it to be a designated marksman rifle the whole time? Give one of them to a soldier, give another a scanner and some extra grenades because that haven't done us any wrong yet and we've got a more versatile team that hopefully can better cover its ass in mid to long range engagements.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42