Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42943 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/1
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2017, 10:14:53 pm »

Helmet-compatible transparent imaging: Probably something you can do without Research.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2017, 01:11:05 am »

And thus is my attempt to reinvent the gun. I expect it to be unpleasantly heavy and ideally supported by dedicated close-range support, but it ought to cover all bases...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »

Quote from: votes
2 S.L.U.D.G.: RAM, Mallos
0 Analise skeleton smoke:
1 Analise zombie brains: Hibou
0 A.B.C. scrambler tweaks:
0 Spectral sensors:
0 Public Division:
2 Analyze Zombie Bodies: Madman198237, Crazyabe

Looks like we are at a tie! Again!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:40 pm »

3 S.L.U.D.G.: RAM, Mallos,Draignean
0 Spectral sensors:
0 Public Division:

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »

3 S.L.U.D.G.: RAM, Mallos,Draignean
0 Spectral sensors:
0 Public Division:

And looks like we have a tie breaker! S.L.U.D.G is the winner!

Phase 1 Round 2
Design Phase

80R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

It is currently the next design phase. Keep in mind that you may reroll a single stat on the Oversight instead of creating an entirely new design.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/2
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »

I'd recommend we give ourselves a nice little advantage:

ABC Scrambler Grenades
Ever feel like a regular ol' frag ain't cutting it anymore? Are your enemies refusing to lie down and die when you shoot them, frag them, and step on them? Well, LOOK NO FURTHER! This grenade uses a series of illegal tricks scientifically proven methods to inundate your enemies' EVERYTHINGS with pain and overload! It will scramble their Aural, Biological, and Chemical senses. They wreck hearing, balance, vision, and even your sense of smell through a combination of a flashbang's extreme bright flash and deafening noise and an assortment of fun chemical irritants that do not hang in the air. They are specifically designed to incapacitate anything human or monstrous. We presume that the skeletons will likely be unaffected (Bright flashes, loud noises, and chemical irritants don't do much when you don't actually have eyes, ears, or a nervous system), but there's always the "Hit in head with moderately heavy thrown object" approach, I guess.

Quote from: Designs Galore!
(1) ABC Scrambler: Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:56 pm »

Frag grenades seem fine for now.

What about making a solid battle rifle with an underslug grenade launcher.  Once we have a good main weapon for our guys we can upgrade it's grenades and bullets as we discover more about what we are facing.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:14 pm »

My Personal Suggestion would be Designing a new gun, which is a combination of a Club and a Shotgun, and is Designed to Shoot masses of Wire attached to little metal balls AS WELL as ordinary Shotgun shells, this would give us a decent weapon against Skeletons which would severely reduce the number of shots required to kill one, Reducing the number of Bullets wasted attempting to Shoot it here and there.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »

Quote from: qvote
0 Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle (RAM): RAM| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464933#msg7464933
0 ABC Scrambler Grenades (Madman198237): Madman198237| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466560#msg7466560
0 "Shubbun" close assault gun (crazyabe): crazyabe| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466570#msg7466570
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:10 pm »

That's the thing: This grenade is basically a cocktail of war-crimes worthy horrors disabling agents and a flashbang, all rolled into one. Making it would give us the almost future-proofed ability to disable any living enemies we encounter. I don't care how many centuries of killing an elder vampire has under his metaphorical belt, he can't do squat if he's been blinded, deafened, tear-gassed (Basically, anyway. These chemicals are not as safe and legal as tear gas), and neurotoxined. As in, the "Biological" side of things is a debilitating, temporary neurotoxin. Meant to work only for 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on the nervous system of the target, it interferes with muscular control....and might cause minor brain damage. Hence the rapid settling effect built in to the grenade. Helps the nasty stuff stick to targets better, while also preventing our own guys from being hit with the crap.

Quote from: qvote
1 Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle (RAM): RAM| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464933#msg7464933
1 ABC Scrambler Grenades (Madman198237): Madman198237| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466560#msg7466560
1 "Shubbun" close assault gun (crazyabe): crazyabe| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466570#msg7466570
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »

That's the thing: This grenade is basically a cocktail of war-crimes worthy horrors disabling agents and a flashbang, all rolled into one. Making it would give us the almost future-proofed ability to disable any living enemies we encounter. I don't care how many centuries of killing an elder vampire has under his metaphorical belt, he can't do squat if he's been blinded, deafened, tear-gassed (Basically, anyway. These chemicals are not as safe and legal as tear gas), and neurotoxined. As in, the "Biological" side of things is a debilitating, temporary neurotoxin. Meant to work only for 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on the nervous system of the target, it interferes with muscular control....and might cause minor brain damage. Hence the rapid settling effect built in to the grenade. Helps the nasty stuff stick to targets better, while also preventing our own guys from being hit with the crap.
Lets consider for a moment what we are dealing with at the moment...
-Zombies: Undead, only directly hampered from moving by Shots to the head, don't feel pain, definitely Mindless though the brain is still required, Melting Parts off(Jaw,Arms,eyes...) with acid would likely be the only "Chemical" weapon that would hamper them severely.
-Skeletons: Lack any Biological Components besides bones, Definitely don't feel pain, Chemical weapons which Directly Destroy those would be most effective, REMOVING ARMS AND LEGS WOULD ALLOW FOR EASY CAPTURE ASSUMING THEY DON'T DISINTEGRATE UPON BEING DISARMED.
Thus your chem bombs would likely Only effect OUR troops at the moment, while theirs would be marched into our solders without significant impairment, and when you assume Vampires, Consider that Bullets with crosses on 'em, Holy water, and Silver would ALL be effective, and much more effective then dodgy chemical warfare, finally consider Just how Effective those would be against Ghosts, Who lack all biological Parts... and would likely be what our opponent would research down if we went in the direction you want.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:09:43 pm by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:47 pm »

Yeah but no.

Zombies can't just "see" the world around them. This thing scrambles their nervous systems and blinds them. It doesn't matter if they can't feel pain (Though pain is a bonus), they can't see. And if the neurotoxin works as intended, they'll have trouble moving as well. Eyes are a physical thing, and hitting them with a flashbang will blind them. It overexposes your retinas and your rods and cones shut down momentarily...usually for a few seconds. Just long enough to get shot dead by a crack team of undead-killers.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »

Yeah but no.

Zombies can't just "see" the world around them. This thing scrambles their nervous systems and blinds them. It doesn't matter if they can't feel pain (Though pain is a bonus), they can't see. And if the neurotoxin works as intended, they'll have trouble moving as well. Eyes are a physical thing, and hitting them with a flashbang will blind them. It overexposes your retinas and your rods and cones shut down momentarily...usually for a few seconds. Just long enough to get shot dead by a crack team of undead-killers.

We have no idea how these zombies see, in fact we have no idea how their biology functions at all. Weapons designed, as you yourself stated, to work well against any living being should not be our priority when we have an immediate non-living threat.

Quote from: vote
2 Prom-S.A.-8-2 "Unobtanium" Battle Rifle (RAM): RAM, Draignean | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7464933#msg7464933
1 ABC Scrambler Grenades (Madman198237): Madman198237| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466560#msg7466560
1 "Shubbun" close assault gun (crazyabe): crazyabe| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164218.msg7466570#msg7466570

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:53 pm »

But we do know that they are, in fact, reanimated corpses. Had we dissected them, perhaps we'd know more. I suggest we get a move on with dissecting enemies. Regardless of our chances, learning new things is going to be infinitely more important than inventing most technologies, at least until we know what we're inventing to fight. Again, this is future proof. We've seen two archetypes so far. Next, could be spirits (Unlikely. Non-corporeal things seem absurd at this early level of our development----we'd have no chance), werewolves (Seems like something to save for harder difficulties, but you never know), different types of undead (Faster zombie breeds? Stronger ones?), who knows. But a grenade useful against anything with eyes and/or a nervous system is a solid investment. A new battle rifle might be OK, but I'd say that our present rifle does everything required. We've encountered no problems, so I vote we don't fix it, instead we branch out early. The detection system was a solid investment. Let's development another technology. Inhibiting your enemies is always a good tactic.

And since when is this grenade going to damage or inhibit our soldiers? I was very clear on its effects. It's a flashbang grenade with rapid-settling chemical component. In other words, *poof*, the gas settles in one second or so, and then the soldiers rush in to finish the job as the nerve agents go to work on the monsters.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2017, 09:39:14 pm »

But we do know that they are, in fact, reanimated corpses. Had we dissected them, perhaps we'd know more. I suggest we get a move on with dissecting enemies. Regardless of our chances, learning new things is going to be infinitely more important than inventing most technologies, at least until we know what we're inventing to fight. Again, this is future proof. We've seen two archetypes so far. Next, could be spirits (Unlikely. Non-corporeal things seem absurd at this early level of our development----we'd have no chance), werewolves (Seems like something to save for harder difficulties, but you never know), different types of undead (Faster zombie breeds? Stronger ones?), who knows. But a grenade useful against anything with eyes and/or a nervous system is a solid investment. A new battle rifle might be OK, but I'd say that our present rifle does everything required. We've encountered no problems, so I vote we don't fix it, instead we branch out early. The detection system was a solid investment. Let's development another technology. Inhibiting your enemies is always a good tactic.

And since when is this grenade going to damage or inhibit our soldiers? I was very clear on its effects. It's a flashbang grenade with rapid-settling chemical component. In other words, *poof*, the gas settles in one second or so, and then the soldiers rush in to finish the job as the nerve agents go to work on the monsters.
We HAVE already Observed non-corporeal Entitys, they are what "Drive" the Skeletons, and are why they Break down when Significantly damaged.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42