Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38047 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2211
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:34 am »

They'll be able to get units to B1 after next turn. Moerth will lose all ground on B2, and Amaok will automatically gain ground, but this doesn't exempt them from the new hold-for-one-turn rule. Which is, if someone doesn't yet know, a side has to hold complete control of a planet for over a year in order to be able to advance beyond it.
So if you do withdraw from B2, by the end of 2212's combat phase Amaok will have 3/3 in AmaokB2. But they'll still have to wait a year to secure control. After that year, though, they'll be able to move onto B1.
Wait, we're the ones with two sections of B2. Surely it would take them two turns to fully capture it (and then a third to solidify control)?
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:14 am »

Unless I'm getting this horribly wrong, Infernium-6 is an improvement limited specifically to liquid fuel. Your bolts currently make use of solid fuel and thus don't benefit from Infernium-6. You'd have to (very easily) revise bolts into liquid fuel or include liquid fuel in a bolter-related design to get any benefits from it.

Now I'm confused.

The result is impressive - Infernium-6 massively increases the efficiency of our solid fuel thrusters.

As far as I know, Infernium-6 is a crystaline form of solid oxygen.

Not that it matters much to me, the design is already quite good.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 07, 2017, 09:11:12 am »

I think Chief's math on B2 capture is right.

I changed my plan, moving an A2 unit to A1 instead of abandoning B2.

I still want the C1 pistol unit. With those giant radios, they might be able to hide in caves and spring ambushes. It might take makeshift relays, but it could work, and one extra turn on getting metal is worth the chance of destroying two units.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:35 am »

No, that won't work. Every unit comes with basic gear like handheld shortrange radios. The radio item allows for communication with Moerth.

Don't move the C1 unit, it's not got the firepower for this.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:18 pm »

I admit, it's not reliable, but it might work, and the radios give us extra command ability if nothing else, meaning we're more likely to use them in short range.

Even ignoring the radios, with just pistols, that second unit is useful for ambushes, soaking bullets meant for our bolter-wielders, or affecting both sides' morale.

An alternative: Take the bolters from B2 and give them to the C1>A1 unit. Pistols should be enough to hold our second zone, but they may be overrun if Amaok pulls back from A1 and sends a unit to B2.

Next turn, I want to design tanks and then revise our Iliad sensors. After that, I'd like to design an Iliad overhaul (engines are still broken, the single missile pod is a weak point, and our armor ball needs PD turrets) and revise our army fortifications with printers.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »

Well, I think we need to call a vote now that we have two alternatives. Outline your plans, gentlemen!

Quote from: Plan the First
ITCs move Unit 3 and all its gear from A2 to A1.
MSS Iliad and Aenied to A2.
MSS Crane, Heron, and Ibis move a radio to A2. Remainder of capacity to be used for missile reloads for our Iliads.
MSS Stork moves a radio to A1.

Perhaps a retroactive rename of our ships for identifiability? So the Iliads and IMW become "MSW" for warship and the supply vessels become "MSS" for supply vessel?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:39 pm »

Hmm :/

Quote from: Plan number two
MSS Iliad and Aeniad blockade A2.
ITC 1 moves unit from C1 to A1.
ITC 2 moves unit from A2 to A1.
ITC 3 uses its shuttles to ferry troops around C2 again.
MSS Crane moves radio, extra missiles to A2.
MSS Heron moves radio to A1.
MSS Ibis moves extra missiles to A2
MSS Stork uses its shuttles to ferry troops around A1.

I realised that the Crane's superior shuttles could actually provide some strategic mobility on A1, which together with them being low on supplies might let us win with a pistol unit.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 07, 2017, 04:44:27 pm »

Plan the First
:|

Spoiler: Swarm The Invaders (click to show/hide)

Swarm the Invaders (1): Nirur Torir
I mostly like Nuke's plan, but for some reason you're not cruel enough to order non-combat ships to pretend to be combat ships :v
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:46:33 pm by Nirur Torir »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »

Eh, details, details. I'll support that.

Plan the First: (1) Madman198237
Swarm the Invaders: (2) Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »

Plan the First: (1) Madman198237
Swarm the Invaders: (3) Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13, Draignean

Sure, I'm on board.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 07, 2017, 07:58:58 pm »

Are you blaming me for my lack of creative plan-naming faculties?

Well, feel free to propose alternatives.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 09, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »

Are we back to waiting on those damn Amaokian scum?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 09, 2017, 05:20:10 pm »

It's kinda fun having our Iliads be so resilient. Anyone else want to make resilience and redundant systems be a standard feature in all our designs?

I can't really see a way to do that with the tanks, though. We want: A new turret, our first land vehicle design, complete armor coverage, and amphibious movement. Most of those should be easy enough, but I think we'd want to strip out amphibious to get good odds on a successful durable design, and we kinda need amphibious more. On the other hand:
Quote from: Amaok
"Well, they made tanks. Guess we need to make anti-tank weapons."
Quote from: GM
"Your anti-tank weapons work great as an inconvenience, but ultimately solve nothing. Their tanks are quickly repaired and sent back into battle after a skirmish."

Using a design + revise would work, but I want that long range ship combat as soon as possible.

Edit: Or we could just make the light tank next turn, and make a heavier version after that. Include a heavier bolter that can serve an anti-tank, artillery, or possibly AA role on the heavy tank.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:48:11 pm by Nirur Torir »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »

It's kinda fun having our Iliads be so resilient. Anyone else want to make resilience and redundant systems be a standard feature in all our designs?

An interesting note, the crocodile, a creature well regarded for its heavy armor, devastating strength, and ability to lurk in ambush in the water, also has the rather fascinating ability to close off its blood vessels in the event of catastrophic limb damage. If you sever the limb of a crocodile, the bleeds for a few moments, then seals shut and is fine.

In short, yes, that seems a feature we're well oriented for, and we should name our Amphibious vehicle (if we build an amphibious vehicle) the Crocodile.
---

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:50 pm »

How's this?

Crocodile Light Tank:
The Crocodile is an all-terrain light tank. For propulsion, it has two pairs of treads protected by rounded armored overhangs. It has a set of easily attached floats and propellers to allow amphibious use. We'll try to fuel it with Infernium-6. It is armed with an armored dual-Jormungandr bolter turret, capable of 360 degree rotation and aiming at the sky. As usual, it should have redundant integrated electronics. Being a (hopefully high-mobility) light tank, the target for most of its armor is to be capable of shrugging off rifle fire at close range. The frontal armor is heavier, capable of surviving repeated hits from bolters.

Reminiscent of its namesake, the armor looks like overlapping plates, with two rows of ridges and bumps on top.

It must fit in 3 CU.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:24:20 pm by Nirur Torir »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34