Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38024 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2211
« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2017, 02:05:47 pm »

Frontal armor must be AT LEAST tough enough to shrug off repeated Bolter impacts. We don't want them finally deciding that the time is ripe to copy us.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2017, 02:11:36 pm »

Changed:
Being a light tank, the target for most of its armor is to be capable of shrugging off rifle fire at close range. The frontal and top armor are heavier, hopefully capable of shrugging off repeated bolter hits or a glancing blow from observed Amaok missiles.

I don't want their fighters to have a sure kill, but I don't know how well we can do that on a light tank.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:43 pm »

Their fighters are evidently terrible in atmo, so I'm not too worried. However, a Bolter is a reasonable facsimile of any sort of RPG-esque antitank system. By the way, if they ever build tanks, we're skipping the crappy RPGs and going straight for a Javelin-type system.

Speaking of which, anyone want to try an AIM-92 Stinger missile version of the Bolter? Long-range, larger missile, capable of bringing down aircraft?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2017, 02:18:17 pm »

I think I'd like to see that as part of the heavy bolter turret on on heavier tanks, preferably after making aim-assisted PD turrets for the Iliad.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »

On a side note, I'm pretty sure that 3 CU is a lot of space.

Pretty certain we can shove a bunch of heavy tanks in there.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 11, 2017, 02:57:22 pm »

I think that yeah, 3 CU of tank would actually be two dozen tanks or whatever. But we wouldn't be able to transport eight tanks in 1 CU, sort of think. CU represents both how much space it takes up in the hold, and how much room it requires on a shuttle.

Amaok's missiles are much like ours, I imagine. As in, designed to kill massive spaceships. Nothing could withstand one of those and still be considered a 'light tank'. But I don't think we need to? It seems like their fighters only carry one missile each, and they only have a few. So in the 'worst case', where they deploy all their fighters against our tanks, and every single one hits, we might lose half our armoured unit, whilst they have spent all of their space offence. An acceptable loss, I think.
Being resistant to bolter fire is fine, though. Though there's no need to armour the top if we aren't worried about missiles.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 11, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »

It seems like their fighters only carry one missile each
I think it was two each, but yeah.

Alright, glancing blows are unlikely with their high-precision missiles, so heavy armor on top won't help much and has been stripped from my proposal.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 14, 2017, 01:09:25 pm »

What happened? It's gone dead for three days.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 14, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »

I think we're waiting on the GM, who may have given up. Running an arms race is a challenge, after all.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »

My guess is that Amaok is having trouble getting their shit together, since the Chief is still active. We should taunt them in the Core thread.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »

Pointless taunting it is!

EDIT:
Pointless and LAME taunting, anyways. Somebody with more creative faculties get up and spur them into a suicidal rush with all their transports flying right into our Iliads and dying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:14:31 pm by Madman198237 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 14, 2017, 01:19:02 pm »

I've just been putting off the combat phase for a bit. It's just been a combination of several factors, including frustration with the tactical system and mostly importantly, laziness.
I wouldn't worry too much, though. Worst case scenario is a much slower update schedule for combat phases.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Combat Phase 2212
« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

Just to clarify:
In space, short range is knife fight distances, medium range is visual distances, long range is the point where two ships can't reliably see each other unless they know exactly where to look and have a pretty good zoom function on their cameras.

Combat Phase of 2212

The expected combat in the orbit of A2 was a resounding success. Amaok was already hurting from their losses last year, and the usage of two Iliad-Classes solidified our victory.

We attacked before they even knew our forces were within range. Their ITCs lacked any kind of radar, allowing our Iliad-Classes to make full use of theirs. The first missile volley was a surprise to Amaok and destroyed their first ITC. The second destroyed their other ITC before any fighters were even deployed. A single shuttle was deployed and managed to escape destruction (partly due to some conflicts on the ethics of destroying an unarmed shuttle), but a single shuttle only serves to give Amaok's central command what little information the ITC's crew saw.
The orbit of A2 is under Moerth's control. Moerth can resupply their forces at A2.

In the battle for the icey world of A1, almost next door to Moerth, our forces fare well.

Amaok seems to have only sent a token force to such an opportunity for them. Questionable behavior, but all the better for our forces. Unit 5, equipped with only X112 Suits and the Mk 1.1 Pistol, is relegated to more defensive roles. With only pistols, they mostly just guard the mountainous passes to their bases. Meanwhile, strike teams from Unit 2, equipped with Bolters and Radios as well as the standard equipment, easily combat against Amaokian soldiers.
Amaok's military here is just equipped with their armoured spacesuits and standard printed pistols. The spacesuits may be better than X112s, but against bolters they don't do too well.

Our soldiers, in interest of avoiding casualties, mostly stick to bombarding the enemies from high ground. While Jormungandr Bolters may not be particularly effective at hitting individual targets, but in formation against large targets (like enemy camps) they do amazingly well. Of course, this is only possible due to both the terrain of A1 and the fact that Amaok's forces here have no actual long-ranged weapons. Occasionally a soldier has to be brought back to camp for pistol wounds, but other than that they fare fine. The radio helps with coordination, but due to Amaok's pitiful attempts here it doesn't play much of a role in the battles. The same goes for the Crane-Class MSS Ibis in orbit with the objective of transporting our troops. While its large shuttles are a nice amenity, we ultimately don't need them as when your enemy is this weak, they tend to not move particularly fast.
Every now and again Amaok's soldiers rally and attempt to make an assault up the mountain passes. Unit 5 manages to hold them off just until reinforcements from Unit 2 come to change the tide of the battle. Here their armored suits actually make somewhat of a difference, but ultimately when the Bolters come into play, it isn't enough.

As if this wasn't enough, their soldiers are freezing and starving to death in the camps. With no supplies being brought in from offworld, Amaok is forced to make do with the extremely sparse "food" and stealing from our own camps, but it often isn't enough. Their suits and camps degrade quickly and with little protection from the elements, we can observe that death from these causes is common-place.

Our Commander here is happy with the progress. Amaok really shot themselves in the foot here. Another year and we'll have wiped out any trace that Amaok was ever here. If we could just prevent evacuation of Amaokian forces, then their Unit will be forced to surrender or be eliminated. Though even if we do that, we'll still need some more time to fully secure the planet before any civilian presence can be established here.
Moerth gains ground on A1. [A: 0/3, M: 1/3]

Barren A2, however, is a different story. With the departure of Unit 2 from A2, we no longer enjoy easy victory.

A2 was unvisited by Amaokian transport craft this year, disappointing our fleet captains. Their Unit is equipped with the same things as last year - battle rifles. Whereas our own forces equip the usual in addition to a fancy new interplanetary radio. Central Command is happy with the easy back-and-forth between it and our soldiers.

Suicide charges are no longer as effective thanks to the slashing of our manpower. We're forced to slowly advance where we can find cover (and there's not many places we can find cover). The rocks and formations of A2 become littered with bullet holes and bolt marks. We may be better at medium and short range, but the sheer openness of the landscape makes for very frequent long-range skirmishes. Where our forces are whittled down as they slowly make their way across the battlefield. The Bolters can help suppress Amaokian troops, but they're often aware of this trick and aren't as phased by mini-missiles whizzing by their heads. Eventually soldiers make it into the effective range of Bolters, but by then our soldiers are worn down and our forces cut down to a smaller portion of what they were at the beginning of the assault.

It's not entirely one-sided. When we ambush them, it nearly always ends in victory for us. But ultimately, these long-range slogs become the mainstay of the battles as Amaokian sentries spot our troops and scramble the battle rifle-wielding soldiers to pick us off at long range. The radio helps, but not by much. The Commander here feels the radio would be better suited for places where our troops are more often scattered, like terran planets.
We lose ground this year at A2, but not by a huge margin. Some new development or reinforcements and we can easily come back to winning here.

Both Iliad-Classes attempt bombardment, but it simply isn't useful. Without aerodynamic adaptions, higher explosive payloads, better ground-targeting, and/or higher rates of fire, our missiles just won't be effective against ground targets.

Our Commander would like for some way to better advance through long-range or to just avoid confrontation altogether until we can hit ranges where our bolters are most effective. And no more suicide runs please. They really don't like suicide runs. Neither does the censor. Do you have any idea how casually our soldiers refer to "suicide runs"? It's just not right.
However, if you don't develop something, evacuation is heavily recommended.
Amaok gains ground on A2. [A: 3/3, M: 0/3]. If they hold it for another year they may advance to A1 and gather resources from A2.

B2 sees more losses.
Our forces attempt to continue the guerilla and stealth tactics of last year, but it ultimately isn't enough.

We were already on the back foot from last year, and with nothing changes, that continues and we lose ground. Our advantage at close range combined with the environments facilitating close range significantly help us, their ABR-1s are still very effective. Skirmishes based on our stealth are frequent, but not enough.
The real assaults on camps and fortifications result in us losing ground. We can't whittle down their forces fast enough to make a difference.

Our Commander would like better stealth considerations, something for close range, or just anything really. There's a variety of things we could do to help our situation at B2.
Amaok gains ground on B2. [A: 2/3, M: 1/3]

At the oceanic C2, we're beginning to make progress with the arrival of the MSS Haze.

With the arrival of the ITC MSS Haze, our troops can see victory in the distance. Last year, we were stuck at a stand-off where Amaokian holding of larger islands prevented us from making advancements. When we're on the islands, our forces can dominate. Any size of island works here. Yet Amaok could pick off our troops on the rafts as they began assaults on the larger islands then engage the survivors on medium range, winning most confrontations.
But then Amaok couldn't advance either, being unable to perform in the short-ranges required at the smaller islands comprising the rest of the oceanic planet.

Yet with the ITC, we can finally begin proper assaults. Shuttles are frequently shot down, but enough troops make it that ground is slowly being gained. Not enough to hold the entire planet, but enough that if this pattern continues into next year, we'll gain control of the planet. Just keep doing the same thing and hope Amaok does too.

The Commander, in some kind of obvious statement, sends us the exact same report they sent last year regarding design requests. A vehicle designed for the waters here would be really really nice.
No side gains ground on C2. [A: 1/3, M: 2/3]

Research Credit
An esteemed scientist thought lost in the beginning days of the colonization has contacted Central Command from an unknown location in the system. Apparently, they're willing to work for the most innovative side. The scientist has stated his intention of going to a colony to see their biggest technological achievement, and the side with the most impressive accomplishment will gain his support. He doesn't care as much about practical usage and the like as much as the sheer scientific achievement of whatever is shown to him. Central Command believes his intellect is worth a Research Credit (Roll twice for each roll in a design or revision, and choose the better number each time).

Spoiler: Moerth Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production Lines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

It is now the design phase of 2212.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 21, 2017, 07:02:58 pm »

Did we just shoot down a unit? I think we might have.
I'm very surprised that they didn't design a warship, and am worried about what they're doing.

I guess we have Infernium-6 as our best achievement.

Proposed plan: Design the light tank, revise better Iliad sensors, move A1 pistol troops to A2, but armed with tanks. Keep the Iliads in orbit of A2.

Crocodile Light Tank:
The Crocodile is an all-terrain light tank. For propulsion, it has two pairs of treads protected by rounded armored overhangs. It has a set of easily attached floats and propellers to allow amphibious use. We'll try to fuel it with Infernium-6. It is armed with an armored dual-Jormungandr bolter turret, capable of 360 degree rotation and aiming at the sky. As usual, it should have redundant integrated electronics. Being a (hopefully high-mobility) light tank, the target for most of its armor is to be capable of shrugging off rifle fire at close range. The frontal armor is heavier, capable of surviving repeated hits from bolters.

Reminiscent of its namesake, the armor looks like overlapping plates, with two rows of ridges and bumps on top.

It must fit in 3 CU.

Crocodile Light Tank (1): Nirur

Edit: As a reminder, this will fill up our last free production slot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:09:06 pm by Nirur Torir »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Design Phase 2212
« Reply #449 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »

Ummmm....I'm just going to point out that fuel suited to the depths of space is usually not great for ground vehicles. They need less power, and much less explodey-ness in the fuel.

That said, I suppose it will be working on airless planets as well. Also, if there's going to be overlapping plates, then I'd instead make them easily replaceable. If we're going to increase the difficulty by overlapping plates, then they ought to get us something.
Also, it'd give us the whole "You disable them just fine. However, they get repaired in like 15 minutes and come back out to kill you all. Not very good."

Other than that, for a revision I'd use the Bolter's missile avionics and structure to give our Iliads a second missile option. Or, heck, we just redesign Iliad missiles to be used in-atmo and fired from racks on the ground. Artillery AND a tank would guarantee advances on all fronts. Or we upscale Bolter missiles for the rocket arty piece...

Quote from: Votes
2 Crocodile Light Tank: Nirur, Madman198237
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34