Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 469345 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 1 complete: Recruiting for mission 2.
« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2017, 12:39:46 pm »

It's gonna take three days for everyone to ready up, at this rate.
Don't worry; after 2/3rds or so are ready I'll just start it regardless.

Strider03 (Bob)
NRDL (Joe Nix)
Egan (Alice)
Tiruin (Joan)
PaPaj (Joe Polnik)
Milo Christiansen (Smith)
Twinwolf (Winston)
Madman 198237 (Robert davidson)
Crockandbearlover (Zack)
Aigre Excalibur (Ramses)
Toaster (Jack)
Ozarck (Edward)
Sy (Simon)
Cronos5010 (Jonathan)
Killerhellhound (yarrick)

And that looks close enough to 2/3rds to me.

Everyone who is ready gets up, grabs someone who isn't ready by the shoulders, and together they walk out of the room.  The troop winds its way through the metal guts of the ship until they reach the upper deck. From there, they get aboard a carrier based troop plane of some variety and are out over the ocean within minutes.  The flight is long, bumpy, and boring. No one knows exactly where they are or where they are going, but the sun sets before they land. When they finally do touch down, its sometime after 11pm. They pile out, finding themselves on the black tarmac of an unlit airfield. The moon is half full and by its light they can see the dim and colorless forms of hangers and the thick woods beyond them. A crewman greets them, hands out plastic tubes of pep pills for those who need them, and then directs them to the south, towards the largest hanger.  The hanger is dark from the outside but the inside it brightly lit and everyone has to shield their eyes and blink away tears for several minutes as their eyes adjust.

There are 5 planes in the hanger, tightly packed, wings almost touching. Four are bombers, of a make no one is quite sure of, but they seem to be related to the iconic super fortresses, though far smaller. The fifth plane in the back looks, from a distance, like a worn out version of the others, but as they draw closer it becomes clear that it is not. Its a C-47, workhorse of the paratroopers, crudely fitted to look like the other planes. The wings have been extended, false and propeller-less engines grafted on, and even fake ball gunner stations bolted to the belly of the plane. From up close like this, its an obvious fake, but from the ground, at night, glimpsed only in spotlight, it would be quite difficult to notice.

"This here is your plane," the crewman says, "It's already loaded with the explosives and fueled.  There's a time fuse on the bomb; try to set it so that the plane blows as it passes over the base. It will look the most convincing like that. You're gonna be following the other planes, coming in last so that the Germans have plenty of time to start firing. Parachutes are on your seats; gonna assume you all know how to use those.  We're gonna head out now and circle till you get up, all you have to do from there is follow us."

He waves and trots off towards the other planes. The troop turns back to their faux-bomber and then file in and find their seats. They strap the parachutes to their back and Alice walks up and takes her seat in the pilot seat. After a few minutes the plane taxis out onto the tarmac, the guidance lights now lit and strobing down the length of the runway.

"All clear for takeoff" The plane's radio hisses, the voice cutting through dull background static.

[3]

Alice pushes the throttle slowly forward and the plane's engines roar up to full speed. The fake wings and engines rattle audibly and the entire plane sounds like it might fall to pieces at any moment. But it holds together and lifts from the earth in a lurching ascent, circling the airport once before getting in line with the rest of the squadron.  The flight to the attack point was an easy one; the night was  calm and almost without wind. All they can see below is a blur of dark and shapeless forests or light colored fields reflecting moonlight. Occasionally, a hamlet or small town will pass below; clusters of buildings winding about in that particular european way, with smoke stacks leaking thin black tendrils and scattered yellow lit windows peeking from their sides.  It was a few hours before the lead plane called them.

"Base is about two minutes out. We're descending for the run. Follow our lead. Remember, drop before you pass the first hill and make sure the bomb is set to go off soon after."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 02, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »

((We rolled to survive takeoff? Yipe))

"Alright," called Davidson, "Who's arming that bomb, and who's leading the way out of the plane?"

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 02, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »

"I am preety sure that i would make it explode by just touching it so no,thanks but it wont be me"

Spoiler: Joe Polnik (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:14:45 am by PaPaj »
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 02, 2017, 12:46:13 pm »

[3]
Well that's as best as I had hoped :V Glad we didn't get a [1] on takeoff. Hooray Piloting skill \o/, and hooray Alice.
Who should totally post her sheet :I and only because of her skill that nothing went wrong whatsoever.

Go pilot, go!
Yep :x It's not actually that fatal as tech and time passed, but engine failure and other mishaps did happen on the runaway before the mission even started. Not to mention a LOT of hazards given that we're night-flying into the area, like fog and other things.
Let's just hope that our paratrooping or our descent is just as...breezy.
Everyone who is ready gets up, grabs someone who isn't ready by the shoulders, and together they walk out of the room.
Camaraderie, ho! :D

Parachutes are on your seats; gonna assume you all know how to use those.  We're gonna head out now and circle till you get up, all you have to do from there is follow us."
...Hopefully we DON'T land in a forest :-X

"Everyone getting ready? The next few minutes will be more to training and reaction than anything else. I've got radio equipment so I'm jumping first, whoever follows me should watch the area. Cheers to Alice!"

((Totally not a bad idea to jump first with radio equipment :P))
Spoiler: Joan Macaraeg//Tiruin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:51:08 pm by Tiruin »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 02, 2017, 12:49:18 pm »

I heal and maybe fix things, if I touched that bomb I would definitely kill us all.

Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #440 on: July 02, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »

Not sure you're familiar with ER, but in my previous paramilitary game people would sometimes die before they even landed in the mission area.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2017, 01:13:45 pm »

((If someone dies do they lose their skill points and extra requisitions?))
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »

Not sure you're familiar with ER, but in my previous paramilitary game people would sometimes die before they even landed in the mission area.
Hopefully you toned it down here? :P I'm enjoying it already, with the subtle cues and nice touches of flavor.

Also tiny question: If ever Alice gets a...bad roll while flying, does that mean the end of the mission or it depends on the context of when that roll happened? Because given the tech/time differences between ER and now, I don't think anyone will survive at the worst of encounters [like getting hit]

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »

Given that we're so unendingly stupid as to be flying a bomb in a rickety plane that made terrifying noises on takeoff, I think that "Us getting hit" definitely guarantees a complete wipe of the 888th. Fresh slate, I guess?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: I want you!
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2017, 02:18:51 pm »

I'm effected by the change to the Recoil-less rifle and removal of heavy rifles, so I'll edit the sheet. Also, get parachute and be prepared to jump.
Spoiler: Winston Atzili (click to show/hide)

((If someone dies do they lose their skill points and extra requisitions?))
((I'm pretty sure, that if someone dies they're dead.))

((Also, Tiruin, how much ammo was for the M1 Garand you gave me?))
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:45:46 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 02, 2017, 02:20:43 pm »

((Bob is here))
"Try to keep her steady, will ya?" Bob called over the engines.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:22 pm »

Set the timer on the bomb unless someone with higher demolitions does so. Meanwhile,

parachute up and ready to jump.

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

This is a regular occurrence in Grunts as well. 2/3 of the most recent wave (10 out of 15 people) died in space. No one heard them scream.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:28:48 pm by Ozarck »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 02, 2017, 03:40:40 pm »

((In Grunts dieing is a minor setback, possibly even interesting. It sounds like you lose all character progress if you die here, which is just annoying.))

Prep for jump, in particular arrange my gear so I can quickly reach anything needed to fix landing injuries.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 02, 2017, 04:47:27 pm »

((in Grunts, dying is a progression mechanic. But it does become more of a setback as you progress and gain unique classes and items and stuff.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:17 pm »

"Two minutes! Someone set the bomb, and please don't mess this up."

Ready to intentionally crash the plane that I'm currently flying! Yell time estimates to whoever is setting the timer, and do jump out before we explode or crash, even if literally everyone else is dumb enough not to. Nope, not dying in a fireball.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:57:51 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 228