Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591502 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2370 on: May 22, 2017, 03:10:56 am »

The War This Turn:
Cannala is attacking North and South this turn, while Forenia does the same.

The Battle at Sea
The weather is clearer, now that spring has come.

All of the weapons developed this turn don't have much bearing here (the Sarukh isn't currently mounted on ships), so the situation remains the same. Cannala has superior guns, and Forenia's only real advantages are that the torpedoes carried by their planes are very effective, their pilots are more skilled, and they at least have cheap gun ships. Cannala's new carriers have done a lot to prevent Forenian aircraft from running all over their ships, though.

Cannala has a Major Naval Advantage this season.

The Battle for the Jungle:
Attacking: Both
The dry season begins, for real this time.

The Cannalans are newly equipped with their La Sierra machine gun, which is comparable in role to the Sorraia and by most accounts quite nice to use. The older weapons re-introduced by both sides, the M1 Stallion used by the Forenians and M1928J Battle Rifle by the Cannalans, are both rather long range weapons, so aren't use here so much. Forenian infantry still have the advantage, for the usual reason: Flamethrowers, and Tiger Armor (an Moskurg favorite fittingly used in M1 Stallion emplacements). For the most part, GPMG's are the main portable machine guns and where a less portable weapon is an option, autocannons like the Can Shredder or AS-AC18 are used because they're capable of penetrating light armor.

The new SARUKH rocket launcher sees some use here; its light weight and mobility makes it more suitable than other artillery pieces to be lugged over dodgy jungle roads. This grants Forenia a meaningful artillery advantage here.

With the benefit of good artillery and air support, and armor which is only somewhat behind the Cannalans (even without their expense credit, Cannala's armor does a good job, but if only those Raider RPGs could be easily reloaded in combat, or had a longer range). Good-looking Forenian infantry push forward into Cannalan positions which have been weakened by sharply-dressed paratroopers.

Forenia gains ground. [Forenia 3/4, Cannala 1/4]

The Battle for the Mountain:
Attacking: Both

Cannalan soldiers have been armed with M1928J Battle Rifles, or "Sushi Rifles" as the soldiers quickly take to calling them. The Juraki battle rifle is marginally better than the AS-F14A, but a notable advantage the Forenians have is that their officers' rifle scopes have better range, and their entire squad is equipped with binoculars, meaning that as soldiers march though the mountainous islands, the Forenians will likely spot the Cannalans first. The Forenians are better snipers, which makes them about even with the Cannalans, who outnumber them. Also important are infantry-portable mortars, which are similar on each side: their payloads are effective, but aiming involves some crude estimation. Combatants usually spread out to avoid being struck all at once.

The Sarukh rocket launcher is a light weight artillery piece, but it isn't exactly infantry-portable. Where there is a road, B2 destroyers can be hauled in by truck, and Cannala uses Nightstorm Howitzers to similar effect.

There is little armored combat, mostly around the edges of the island, but there Forenia has the full benefit of their AS-T33's heavy armor, and occasionally a quick Sarukh battery on a landing site or harbor, when they get the chance.

In truth, the fighting here seems like it might have gone either way, the comparison between Cannalan naval advantage and shelling, and Forenia's better sniper equipment and stuff like the Tiger armor (in this case, hauled by multiple men into mountain camp positions before being given to a man who will operate an exposed mortar or machine gun position) makes it a close call, but this season at least, it all comes down to one final battle.

March 3rd, 1940 on Mt. Konstantin was a clear day, not a cloud in the sky, and the sun was beaming down. On the west side of the island, Cannala had begun to gather armor for a hard push around the island to cut off Forenia's own harbor- General Cortez had attempted blockades twice already, but each time General Tereshkov's air assaults had managed to do enough damage to the Cannalan fleet that Forenian ships could get through or around just before their men on land were totally starved for ammunition and supplies. Still, Cannala had assembled a critical mass of land forces- the last Forenian gambit was to move a few Sarukh batteries over a recently-repaired bridge through a mountain road, and hit the Cannalans in their camps, only Cannalan infantry and a couple Raiders stood in their way. "We were pushing west that evening, and the sun was right in our eyes, but fortunately we'd all be issued these new, shaded goggles," recalls Corporal Fakhoury, who was present for the desperate attack. "We beat them, and we finally got our trucks onto a ridge where we could make a long shot at the Cannalan forces below. Then we were caught by surprise, the little mountain road didn't stop there, it went back around the mountain face to the east again, on the south side of the ridge this time, and there was a Raider and several men coming our way. The Raider took some shots in our direction but they were way off- when I saw their commander open the hatch and squint, trying to block the sun with his hands, I knew I had my chance. I shot my RPG and hit, killing him and disabling the gun. My team killed the rest." Fakhoury turns his goggles over in his hands pensively. "It's a small thing, but I think maybe I wouldn't be alive today if I didn't have the benefit of these shades."

Forenia, in something of a fluke, pushes Cannala back off Mt. Konstantin. [Cannala 0/2, Forenia 2/2] "Also, they really are great looking."

The North East Desert:
Attacking: The Economy

Mutriq is short on supplies, the residents who relied on food being shipped in have resorted to eating small desert lizards and drinking cactus juice. Drums full of oil are stacked high, but going nowhere. Forenia needs more transport capacity! [Forenia 2/2]

Events outside the War:

The Outside World:

The Winter War ends between Russia and Finland. Despite inflicting many more casualties than they received, Finland is forced to cede the Karelian Isthmus and some other land to Russia. The first Tom and Jerry cartoon airs, Cannala quickly produces a more graphically violent knock-off.

Alliances:
Forenia has supplied the axis with their plans for the Salamander, the relatively heavy-armored amphibious APC. Germany isn't extremely enthusiastic, but Japan produces a trial run of Salamanders, with reduced armor for cost. They remark that it may be an excellent way sending armor onto enemy-occupied beaches. They agree to exchange some of their own information in exchange, giving Forenia a Research Credit.

Cannala has supplied the Allies with the QFW Mk.2, also in exchange for a Research Credit. The British request an American contractor to begin production of some, though the American army is dubious of the stopping power and range in the intermediate cartridges.

Local Events:
In Forenia, a recent issue has taken over discussion in parliament: Should Marijuana be illegalized? There are currently no laws regarding the drug, but until just recently it has been relatively unknown in Forenia. Both Moskurg and Arstotzkan religious figures have advocated its illegalization after it has begun appearing in homes, on the streets, and even in church or the parliament building. PAROI member Sokol Vasiliev is quoted as saying "What if we like... used smaller rockets?" after smoking some of the substance, which gravely disturbed his fellow party members. Still, others say it's relaxing and harmless. Every member of the Peace Party, a less-offensive re-branding of the Peace with Cannala Party, seems to smoke a ton of it- some have speculated that the marijuana appearing in Forenia has been smuggled in from Cannala. You must vote to help decide whether to criminalize marijuana or keep its use legal, but the consequences, if any, aren't immediately clear. If you don't decide though, parliament will bicker without getting anything done for days!

In Cannala, a great tragedy has struck. El Presidente's private plane was apparently sabotaged with a bomb: Not just any bomb, but one which released deadly Totemo Iyana gas. El Presidente, some of his closest advisors, and his son who was to be his successor in the case of his untimely death have all been killed, as the plane was observed to fill with gas shortly after takeoff and subsequently crashed into Santos Memorial Forest. There has been no conclusive evidence as to the perpetrator, but Cannala is in chaos. For the first time in over 30 years, Cannala will be holding an election. The election is open to everyone, but as many of the engineers were close to El Presidente (or at least well-depicted in propaganda) you will have considerable sway. There are two main candidates: Diego Garcia was closest to El Presidente before, and is president of the Crown Rum Company. This is more political than it sounds, company presidents in Cannala must balance the interest of their workers, customers, and shareholders carefully to avoid being assassinated. "Friends, Cannlans, Customers- I mean, Citizens," he says "Elect me, and I assure you, you will see that not one shred of El Presidente's glory is lost in this tragic time." His most likely competitor is a former protege of Joachim Cassolo: a controversial professor of El Presidente University named Eduardo Charpes, and he stands more reform of Cannala rather than staying its present course. "I look around, and I see a country which is in a state of violence and chaos. We have abandoned out principles, broken our own code between captain and crew, which is what led us here. Elect me, and I will hold elections at least every ten years, war or peace. I will free the Juraki from their labor camps- they'll work and earn their keep like the rest of us. Most of all, I'll require rum to be clearly labeled by water content. That's right! Diego Garcia has been watering down your rum, and you don't even know it!" You must vote to help elect a new Presidente, but the direct consequences will not be obvious, and they might not be immediate.

Turn 9, Commence!

You may now begin voting for your design phase!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:20:35 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2371 on: May 22, 2017, 03:11:12 am »

Design: UFAF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A

Named after Cannala's greatest fear, the United Forenia Jet Fighter 'Sobriety' is Forenia's premiere fighter aircraft, using an innovative new engine design known as a "jet engine".  The Sobriety features a single, large, centrally-mounted jet engine that runs the entire length of the aircraft.  The wings are back-swept to increase structural stability and place the center of gravity further forward, and the elevator is moved further up the rudder to prevent span wise airflow from diminishing its effect.  These aerodynamic aspects were noticed during numerous wind-tunnel tests; additionally, an air-brake system is installed on the rear of the aircraft that uses hydraulics to extend two panels of the fuselage outwards to dramatically increase drag and slow the aircraft down.  Without a propeller necessitating bulky timing gear or heavy rotor shafts, four AC18 20 mm's can be installed in the nose in-line with the aircraft.  A tear-drop shaped canopy gives the pilot greater view around him.  The plane uses tricycle landing gear by necessity, and comes equipped with folding wings, gyroscopic reflective sights, and every other amenity that a modern aircraft would need.

The Sobriety is designed to be fast; it is to be the end-all for air superiority. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:41:47 pm by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2372 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29:52 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A: (2) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13
Looks reasonable to me.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:36 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (3) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 22, 2017, 03:51:13 am »

I think the jet above is overambitious. We are going from no jet technology at all to an aircraft with Me262 level of complexity. Nevermind, it is more advanced than me262. If you insist on jet lets do a reasonable first step.

UFAF-I40-Dart
UFAF-I40-Dart is a testbed aircraft for the new propulsion system. It is a small unarmored interceptor powered by two wing mounted first generation turbojet engines "Blood Eagle". Dart's armament is limited to a single nose mounted AC-18. Dart is a lighting fast, fuel hungry short range interceptor designed to protect our forces and infrastructure against enemy air raids. As soon as radars detect enemy aircrafts Dart launches to intercept, spend few minutes in combat and return to the base. Additionally, Dart is a great glider and can land even without fuel.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:56:44 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 22, 2017, 03:58:46 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (4) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 22, 2017, 04:01:56 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (5) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry, Powder Miner

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 22, 2017, 04:10:30 am »

*looks at the growing voting train, grabs popcorn and waits for some very amusing design*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:43 am »

So I take it we shall use our revision on getting extra TC?
Also:

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (5) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry, Powder Miner
Legalise Marijuana : (1) Khan Boyzitbig
As long as we control it correctly it will not cause problems.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 22, 2017, 05:20:43 am »

I think we'll put off the cannabis vote until the strategy phase, much as the cannalans will put off their 'election'

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:56 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (6) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk
Legalise Marijuana : (1) Khan Boyzitbig
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 22, 2017, 05:44:10 am »

@Khan Boyzitbig
The oil doesn't make anything cheaper, so there is no hurry to revise more TC until we capture the jungle.

I think the Sobriety has too heavy of a payload, however the Dart's strategy of having built in faults(only few minutes of flight) does not convince me. Honestly, I think 2 autocannons would be plenty. We don't know yet how powerful our engine will be. Also, is centrally mounted engine easier or harder than nacelle engines?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 22, 2017, 05:45:28 am »

4 autocannons on a jet aircraft is rather standard armament.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 22, 2017, 05:46:05 am »

IF our engine is powerful enough. I guess can be fixed on revision.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 22, 2017, 06:35:47 am »

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (7) evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, Taricus, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk, Stabby
Legalise Marijuana : (2) Khan Boyzitbig, Stabby

We should legalize it simply to chill out the nationalists it nothing else.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 500