Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591230 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2400 on: May 22, 2017, 11:03:16 am »

First off, a variant on the Thunderbird, with centrifugal compressors:

UFAF-F-40 "Thunderbird" Variant B
Named for the distinctive roar of its engines, the Thunderbird represents a fundamental change in the nature of aircraft. It is powered by twin turbojet engines using centrifugal compressors, mounted in and forming the wing root to minimise drag as much as possible, and removable on a frame for easy maintenance given the revolutionary nature of the engines. The wings include a moderate degree of sweep to minimise high-speed drag, and inbuilt air-brakes should it need to engage low-speed bombers. For armament, it carries two nose-mounted AS-AC18s and one Sorraia. This purpose-built fighter is built entirely for speed, using aluminium alloys to save weight along with leaving out the manganese bathtub of the Haast, although self-sealing fuel tanks are still included.

If time permits, a foldable-wing design could be attempted, although this is not a priority.

On the Discord, there was some discussion between whether to go for axial-flow compressors or centrifugal compressors. Thus, this alternative variant of the Thunderbird, but I still prefer the original.

Arguments for Axial/against Centrifugal:
-Efficiencies are greater than the centrifugal, and engine efficiency is God in aircraft design.
-Smaller frontal cross-section than equivalent centrifugal, translating into less drag and higher speed. Since speed is the only reason early jet fighters had an advantage over heavy prop-fighters, may as well go for the axial to enhance that.
-it's what's in use in all jet engines from the postwar period to today, except for the tiny ones. This is honestly the main reason why I'm in favour of it, I don't want to go down a technological dead end. Much like the ridiculous argument regarding pigeon-guided bombs in Discord, they were effective but ultimately couldn't be improved at all. If the Cannalans go for axial while we go centrifugal, they will slowly gain a lead over us in engine power, ceteris paribus.
-we sided with the Axis Me 262 has axial-compressor Jumo 004s, and outperformed the Gloster Meteor in speed and rate of climb. How much of this is attributable to engine vs other factors is debatable, though.

Arguments against Axial/for Centrifugal:
-Easier to manufacture/less complex.
-More reliable, in terms of engine service life. ((I would argue that this is more a reflection of the difference between Reich/UK's war economies, than the engine itself. In particular, the lack of high temperature materials for the turbine portion really hampered the Jumo 004. Regardless, the Jumo made it to mass production nearly a year before the Welland, and the Nazis churned out 8000 of them despite being bombed to shit. Apparently it was easier to machine than piston-engines.))
-Centrifugal-compressor jet engine planes have already flown: the He 178 in August 1939 and the Gloster Pioneer in May 1941. The first axial-compressor jet engine plane hasn't flown yet, the Me 262 in July 1942.
-Somewhat more resistance to FOD ingestion?

I don't really have many arguments to contribute for the Centrifugal compressor variant, to be honest.

Additional stuff from Discord:

eS's argument for the 4x20mm AS-AC18s on the Sobriety. I still think that will be way beyond the capabilities of our indigenous jet engine, especially a single one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still think too many weapons comprising performance is not ideal, based on this citation:
Weapon system effectiveness was fourth in the fighter effectiveness criteria only because their weapons have generally been adequate. Throughout the history of air combat, fighters which, by surprise or maneuver, attain a good firing position have achieved the kill about one third to one half the time, no matter what weapons were carried.The only major historic exception to this has been the low effectiveness shown by guided missiles in the first one to two decades of their existence.However, the weapons are critical, as the reason for the existence of fighter aircraft is to place their weapons within their operational envelope with respect to an enemy, and deliver ordnance on target.

Clarification on the rudder-elevator configuration of the Sobriety.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you don't yet have Discord, I urge you to join it. I try to crosspost arguments to here as much as possible, but huge amounts of stuff goes through without being posted here (admittedly some of it random spammage). Additionally, Powder Miner spends time to rewrite NationStates Issues into Forenian terms and posts them there as well for us to vote on the option to pick, which really adds to Forenian CultureTM.

Additional titbit from the He 178 article:

This seems to have marked a turning point for jet aircraft, Hitler deciding that the most promising jet fighter aircraft be re-purposed as a 'blitz bomber'.
When used as an air-superiority fighter, the task for which it had been designed, the Luftwaffe's Me 262s performed admirably but this was at a time when Hitler's stricture that no one could so much as mention the aircraft unless it was in the context of its use as a bomber effectively concealed this inconvenient truth. In September 1944 this policy was reversed but by then it was too late, there were far too few Me 262 available to make a difference, and far too few pilots.

Future demands for one tonne of bombs will be referred to as Literally Hitler.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:36:53 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: May 22, 2017, 11:59:12 am »

No outside drugs!  We can not succumb to the devil lusts of the dirty pirates!  Plus I bet they get a cut of the profts from suggling it in!

And all the dealers are spies!

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (5) evictedSaint, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk, Stabby
UFAF-I-40 'Dart': (1) Strongpoint
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (5) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

Legalise Marijuana : (2) Khan Boyzitbig, Stabby
NO DEVIL WEED: (1) Voidslayer

Still thinking about the jet engine. 

Is a jet engine close enough to a rocket?

Edit : Vote box fixed, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:02:38 pm by VoidSlayer »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »

You used an ancient version of quote box, fixed.

UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A w/research credit: (5) evictedSaint, Happerry, Powder Miner, Funk, Stabby
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (5) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 22, 2017, 12:02:47 pm »

Weed is a discussion for the strategy phase rather than the design phase btw

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: May 22, 2017, 12:03:48 pm »

Voting for the Thunderbird.
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (6) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: May 22, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »

Also, Strongpoint, don't be so pessimistic all the time.
My pessimistic expectations usually hit.

New jet fighter has a way higher chance to succeed but I still prefer going for jets as a multiturn plan and don't hope to get a really good aircraft on the first turn. Point defense fighter like me163 komet(with no technological dead end engine) is as ambitious as I am willing to try.  If it was a solo game I would consider going for a design action like "develop a jet engine to be used in future aircrafts." 

Another thing I'd consider is a pulse jet flying bomb like V-1. Our experience with the deathball should help with getting good gyroscopes to make it accurate and it would give jet engine experience going from less complex jet engine to more complex jet engine

(In fact, If it was a solo game I would keep pushing jungles but  I won't even try going against the jet train)

PS. Please mention that all jets are going for the research credit. I think it was intended by authors and voters
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2406 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »

Voting for the Thunderbird.
UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (7) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot (eh)

NO DEVIL WEED: (2) Voidslayer, Kot
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2407 on: May 22, 2017, 12:42:28 pm »

UFAF-F-40 'Thunderbird' w/research credit: (8) Azzuro, Andrea, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, Kot, GUNINANRUNIN

NO DEVIL WEED: (2) Voidslayer, Kot

Re: Powder Miner on Revisions
I'd prefer if we used our revision to improve the Tiger armor into something more practical that all men can use (it's already so shockingly effective that if we developed one more people could use we'd gain a massive advantage), or a shore lander.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:04 pm »

The Tiger armour is widespread, and it's not getting any more practical due to the materials involved. Until we're getting ballistic fibres the tiger armour is basically where it is; we've bottomed out on any improvements to it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:57 pm »

Where the fuck was all this criticism when I proposed the Sobriety two days ago and asked for feedback?

Nothing wrong with the Thunderbird, I guess - aside from the god-awful boring-as-shit cliché'd name.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:11 pm »

Where the fuck was all this criticism when I proposed the Sobriety two days ago and asked for feedback?

Nothing wrong with the Thunderbird, I guess - aside from the god-awful boring-as-shit cliché'd name.
Eschewed in favor of discussion on the current proposals? Just looking at current designs takes a metric ton of conversation as is.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:23 pm »

Well, people doing their research I guess. We tend to be a bit more active in coming up with designs and pointing out laws in them during the design phase.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: May 22, 2017, 01:00:14 pm »

Chill, dude. I didn't have the time or inclination to critique what was then a prospective design. Anyway, I'm trying to help the thread by pointing out how the Sobriety is way overambitious, and providing a more realistic option that isn't the point-defence interceptor.

Also, I don't think Thunderbird is that objectionable a name as Fuckbringer or Reckless Effect (what does that even mean?). It kinda fits in with the Haast being named for a bird as well, since I don't think the insect theme is very inspiring.

United Forenia Forever!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: May 22, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »

the bug theme IS inspiring if you use the goliath birdeater, even if it isn't an insect

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2414 on: May 22, 2017, 01:04:35 pm »

The Tiger armour is widespread, and it's not getting any more practical due to the materials involved. Until we're getting ballistic fibres the tiger armour is basically where it is; we've bottomed out on any improvements to it.
I'm not proposing kevlar or ceramic armor (most trauma plates today are made of steel anyways), I'm saying the design could be way better. Since it's full body armor and can't be worn in any other configuration it only sees use in assaults and for men on emplacements and is no doubt exhausting to wear. If we make it modular then the troops can have something like modern body armor that troops could potentially wear during marches, or highly mobile reserve troops who are exploiting breakouts caused by assaults and tank crews could benefit from a cut-down Tiger armor that is less bulky, without getting rid of the option to go full medieval knight that is so iconic to our forces.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:08:07 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 500