Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591479 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2340 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:42 pm »

We should get the Research Credit, so we can spend it on this:

Design: UF-JF-40 'Sobriety' Pattern A

Named after Cannala's greatest fear, the United Forenia Jet Fighter 'Sobriety' is Forenia's premiere fighter aircraft, using an innovative new engine design known as a "jet engine".  The Sobriety features a single, large, centrally-mounted jet engine that runs the entire length of the aircraft.  The wings are back-swept to increase structural stability and place the center of gravity further forward, and the elevator is moved further up the rudder to prevent span wise airflow from diminishing its effect.  These aerodynamic aspects were noticed during numerous wind-tunnel tests; additionally, an air-brake system is installed on the rear of the aircraft that uses hydraulics to extend two panels of the fuselage outwards to dramatically increase drag and slow the aircraft down.  Without a propeller necessitating bulky timing gear or heavy rotor shafts, four AC18 20 mm's can be installed in the nose in-line with the aircraft.  A tear-drop shaped canopy gives the pilot greater view around him.  The plane uses tricycle landing gear by necessity, and comes equipped with folding wings, gyroscopic reflective sights, and every other amenity that a modern aircraft would need.

The Sobriety is designed to be fast; it is to be the end-all for air superiority. 

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: May 20, 2017, 11:58:48 pm »

If anyone else votes on the credit please switch mine to the Research Credit, this that would be a hell lot more useful the Espionage.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: May 21, 2017, 12:30:23 am »

No, we shouldn't go for the dubious jet project when we have to secure jungles and start getting the seas after that. We will never get a jet fighter that is better than their Falcon.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:08 am »

Thanks, strongpoint. I needed a good laugh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:31 am »

I'm 100% with Evicted on this. We have to actually improve new things instead of perpetually playing catch-up.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: May 21, 2017, 12:40:05 am »

Thanks, strongpoint. I needed a good laugh.
Preparing for the another "I told you moment..."

We won't get me262. We may get something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_E.28/39 on a lucky roll but it can't compete with a proper piston engine fighter.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:42:45 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: May 21, 2017, 12:56:08 am »

Why not go for a liquid fuel strategic ballistic missile instead?  We could eventually make some kind of rocket bomber that could target cities directly from the upper atmosphere.

Or like, a bigger boat.  Or a submarine.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:37 am »

"we'll never get a jet fighter that is better than their falcon"
wha-- we'll never get a newer, more technological advanced plane better than their current one?

Also, it's easy to have a lot of "i told you so"s when you're negative about the vast majority of what gets voted on.

Our air superiority is already rather tenuous and is one design of theirs away from being broken. Why do you want to build more things that rely on it instead of securing it?

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 21, 2017, 01:18:12 am »

Quote from: Strategy Votes
Push Jungle: (7) evictedSaint, NAV, Madman198237, Piratejoe, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro
Push Mountains: (7) evictedSaint, NAV, Madman198237, Piratejoe, Stabby, Lightforger, Azzuro

Send Axis Dolphin: (2) evictedSaint, strongpoint
Send Axis the Salamander: (5) NAV, Madman198237, Piratejoe, Stabby, Azzuro
Send Axis the Haast: (1) Lightforger

Request Research Credit: (7) evictedSaint, NAV, Piratejoe, Lightforger, Powder Miner, Stabby, Azzuro
Request Espionage Credit: (2) Madman198237, strongpoint

Restart Stallion production (1) strongpoint

Voting for Salamander and Research, changed stabby's vote to research as well.

United Forenia Forever!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 21, 2017, 01:23:07 am »

I feel as though rocket pods combined with good pistons could compete with jets. Jest has way more staying power as far as performance is concerned, but how long are you going to stay in combat for? I mean, sure, a dogfight is perfectly capable of going on for an hour, but if you can light up your rocket engine and climb out of the fight then you have a lot more freedom to disengage, and if your five minutes of rocket-time makes you straight-up better than the other team, then you may be able to do in five minutes what the other guy needed half an hour for. What are the traditional issues with aircraft that opt for a rocket out the back and a prop out the front?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: May 21, 2017, 01:40:21 am »

Well that sucks. I was really hoping to see anything we already had get improved, or for Sensei to just ignore the list and say "Your infantry appreciate all their new gadgets". I mean, how was I supposed to know that this sort of thing is "not a thing in this game"?

Anyway, plz use anaesthetic when performing blood eagle on me, thank you.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 21, 2017, 02:51:05 am »

If we want jets I would start with something like this

UFAF-I40-Dart
UFAF-I40-Dart is a testbed aircraft for the new propulsion system. It is a small unarmored interceptor powered by the first generation turbojet engine "Blood Eagle". Dart's armament is limited to a single nose mounted AC-18. Blood Eagle is a lighting fast, fuel hungry short range interceptor designed to protect our forces and infrastructure against enemy air raids. As soon as radars detect enemy aircrafts Dart launches to intercept, spend few minutes in combat and return to the base. Additionally Dart is capable to carry a fixed bomb for suicide missions against enemy aircraft carriers, Walrus landing ships full of troops or other high priority vessels.

Very simple straightforward design with limited short term effect. It has as few features as possible to let designers focus on the jet engine.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 21, 2017, 02:59:56 am »

I would rather just build an orion drive...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 21, 2017, 03:02:13 am »

I would rather just build an orion drive...
Must be trivial, maybe easy.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 21, 2017, 03:04:57 am »

I think something like the Dart is a good idea. Maybe some more emphasis on the first generation turbojet engine and no replication of kamikaze fighters.
A testbed aircraft to serve as a step towards actual jet-based aircraft while still being useful.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 500