Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592267 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Battle Phase)
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:01 pm »

Why are carriers and seaplanes mutually exclusive?
They aren't. Kot is arguing for a 100% seaplane 'navy'. I think the other side in the argument would be fine with a few seaplanes.
Long Live United Forenia!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »

Because we're stubborn like that.

More serious answer? People are stingy with their design actions.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2017, 01:02:36 pm »

Time constraints I believe, In the long term both are viable (carriers more so due to jet aircraft being much harder to adapt to sea landings)
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:03 pm »

Time constraints I believe, In the long term both are viable (carriers more so due to jet aircraft being much harder to adapt to sea landings)

Minor tangent from the discord: Jet engines and Radar really shouldn't be in the same category.  Went through a discussion on it, and I found the former is a hell of a lot harder to make than the latter, so it really should be bumped up or Radar bumped down.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:59 pm »

In the extreme long term is what I meant. I don't expect jet aircraft on either side for a long time (likely post war).

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2017, 01:08:18 pm »

We'll see, I may very well make it a different difficulty. MAYBE.

Also, in retrospect, I'm not sure if I meant to refer to Tereshkova as female or not. While he/she shares a name with the famous woman cosmonaut, that is a surname and therefore gender neutral. I'm not even sure what I meant to write late last night, so altogether the question is up in the air.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2017, 01:12:30 pm »

While he/she shares a name with the famous woman cosmonaut, that is a surname and therefore gender neutral.
It's not gender neutral. That's now how Slavic languages work. Male version would be Tereshkov.

They aren't. Kot is arguing for a 100% seaplane 'navy'. I think the other side in the argument would be fine with a few seaplanes.
What you want is seaplanes that do nothing. What I want is seaplanes that actually do a thing. I'm for 100% seaplane "navy" because otherwise you're just going to not use my great idea of seaplanes. ;_;
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »

I believe when jet engines were created IRL it was cause they rolled a 6. Don't quite remember the details, but I did a thing on it for school once long ago.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2017, 01:13:50 pm »

I am quite happy regardless of gender of the general, though a female general stands out more (and Russian airforce women were very effective).

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2017, 01:14:42 pm »

Also, in retrospect, I'm not sure if I meant to refer to Tereshkova as female or not. While he/she shares a name with the famous woman cosmonaut, that is a surname and therefore gender neutral. I'm not even sure what I meant to write late last night, so altogether the question is up in the air.
Make them female, why not. If we allow women into the military, that doubles our recruitment base!

(I am aware that women played a vital part in war by staying home and working in industry and agriculture, and so any recruitment of women would have to lead to a reduced recruitment of men in order to leave behind enough people to keep the lights on in the bullet factory)
Long Live United Forenia!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2017, 01:31:00 pm »

Make them female, why not. If we allow women into the military, that doubles our recruitment base!

(I am aware that women played a vital part in war by staying home and working in industry and agriculture, and so any recruitment of women would have to lead to a reduced recruitment of men in order to leave behind enough people to keep the lights on in the bullet factory)
I'll just leave this here. You can count it as a vote for Tershekova being a she if you wish to.

...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »

If we have to choose between a destroyer/carrier navy and a seaplane navy, then the destroyer/carrier navy is better.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2017, 02:03:05 pm »

It's better while giving the Cannalans time to catch up in other fields, thus rendering our better weapons not that much better, or giving Cannalans time to make their navy even better, resulting in our navy being shit anyway.

Also, shameless shilling.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »

Well the problem with developing seaplanes is that it does take up a design action which we could use to better effect either on the navy or our ground-based aircraft (Or carrier craft)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »

Well the problem with developing seaplanes is that it does take up a design action which we could use to better effect either on the navy or our ground-based aircraft (Or carrier craft)
What better effect? Weak expensive carriers that carry barely any planes as opposed to cheap seaplanes that can now strike enemy everywhere? And we could use them as dedicated torpedo planes, which we probably want and don't need for ground, and we could make them better due to lack of various problems of carrier borne planes.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 500