Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592289 times)

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Battle Phase)
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:47 am »

Well, on the discord anyway. Still, we don't really have a bomber capable of delivering them effectively so they aren't too useful until that's solved.
Makes sense. I did however have this operative phrase in my question.  :D
later down the line

I think these might be good later down the line, as torpedo bombers themselves tend to rack up ghastly death tolls trying to assault capital ships, due to how finicky air dropped torpedoes are for reasons actually mentioned in our current torpedoes.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:01 am »

We have even better convoy raiders: Aircraft.
While I agree, we would need a seaplane or carrier first. So we might want to build that seaplane as a second design after a destroyer, depending on how well our battles are going. And subs are always useful if we lose Air superiority.
Or better yet, we build a carrier. More efficient than seaplanes anyway.

More efficient for certain things yes, but seaplanes do have definite advantages for one thing easier to refuel, much cheaper increasing our ability to risk them on things, and they are better in some areas submarine hunting for example, long range scouting or patrols in general, search and rescue of downed airmen, increasing survivability and general morale of our troops. In addition they can pick off lone ships and attack convoys. As well we wouldn't have to send a carrier to certain areas to do such a thing and we could also send them places we don't have a carrier in.

I'm not saying that we should exclude the idea of carriers, far from it, I'm just saying that a seaplane is still useful.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:31 am »

I think these might be good later down the line, as torpedo bombers themselves tend to rack up ghastly death tolls trying to assault capital ships, due to how finicky air dropped torpedoes are for reasons actually mentioned in our current torpedoes.
Yes, unfortunately, we managed to design a decent torpedo, but not one well suited to aerial deployment. Using a revision to add some breakaway wooden stabilisers and airbrakes would do wonders. Adding a magnetic detonator would also be quite useful.
Long Live United Forenia!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »

Well... for submarine hunting... there is something else that can traverse vast distances and carry huge loads of both ordinance and radar gear.

*The zeppelin rears it's ugly head once more.*

Glory to Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »

Well... for submarine hunting... there is something else that can traverse vast distances and carry huge loads of both ordinance and radar gear.

*The zeppelin rears it's ugly head once more.*
I'm not opposed to the idea of developing an airship. Although it would rely on either having native sources of helium, or an alliance with the US.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »

The US is unlikely to ally with us (at this point they are isolationist, its '38 afterall), we may be able to trade with them though.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2017, 12:10:43 pm »

The US is unlikely to ally with us (at this point they are isolationist, its '38 afterall), we may be able to trade with them though.
Well, they did sponsor the rebellion which led to the formation of United Forenia.
And, I mean, US-sponsored uprisings always result in states or factions that are friendly towards the US, right?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2017, 12:13:50 pm »

I'd rather use a method of deploying our vital air power overseas that doesn't limit them and also make them worse. These planes are fighting after all.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »

Well, they did sponsor the rebellion which led to the formation of United Forenia.
And, I mean, US-sponsored uprisings always result in states or factions that are friendly towards the US, right?
True but the US is still unlikely to ally a (comparatively) small power, they took several years to ally with a major power against a common threat afterall.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2017, 12:16:59 pm »

Having US on our side at the start would be rather unbalanced. If there's an option to get something from them, it'll likely be a random event where we compete with the pirates for it.

As for helium, I am not too sure on the matter. Given that airships aren't exactly top-of-the-line super tech, Sensei might end up ruling that both sides have enough of the stuff to field some airships should they so wish, as to not restrict creative freedom in that front.

Or he might add helium to the map making us fight for it.

As for my repeated ramblings on airships, I admit I have a thing for the archaic. Had I been here for the original game, I'd probably have advocated Arztozka to keep developing their steam vehicles further partly due to the oil disadvantage, partly because I have a steampunk fetish.

Glory to Forenia!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »

I pretty sure the US would atleast be friendlier to us then the Pirates, But I'm also guessing If i remember right the British aren't exactly our friends so that might balance it out.

Also on arships we could use them for convoy protection like they were historically which would help make up for our lack of a navy.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2017, 12:36:36 pm »

I pretty sure the US would atleast be friendlier to us then the Pirates, But I'm also guessing If i remember right the British aren't exactly our friends so that might balance it out.

We did give them T2 for free recently, so they might actually be favorable to us.

As for the US...we could arrange a deal where we trade our assault rifles for helium.  Maybe try to pull a Destroyers for Bases pact, or get in on lend-lease, though for helium.  Honestly, we just need something to trade, as America is in the middle of the depression, and transporting helium could provide a few jobs for them.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »

We did give them T2 for free recently, so they might actually be favorable to us.

As for the US...we could arrange a deal where we trade our assault rifles for helium.  Maybe try to pull a Destroyers for Bases pact, or get in on lend-lease, though for helium.  Honestly, we just need something to trade, as America is in the middle of the depression, and transporting helium could provide a few jobs for them.
Might help balance the fact that in the first game we gave Hitler assault rifles for some ore. As I recall. Oops.

Glory to Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »

Or better yet, we build a carrier. More efficient than seaplanes anyway.
In terms of efficency the seaplanes are better. More of them. More of them launches. Carriers are limited.

I believe you're looking at dive bombers, which do a lot of damage but unfortunately not the kind that actually sinks the ship, making it unrepairable.

Also Kot, if you really like seaplanes I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the PBY Catalina flying boat.
Catalina is boring, although I used the image to show that you can have wheels on a float to land on regural airfields too.
As for dive bombers, no, I meant...
Returning to that torpedo-rocket idea. If we really want "aerial torpedoes" later down the line, what would you folks thin of something along the line of the Fritz X or the Henschel Hs 293 glide bombs?
this.

Well, on the discord anyway. Still, we don't really have a bomber capable of delivering them effectively so they aren't too useful until that's solved.
We do. The opposing side argument was that we can only deliver one bomb per bomber as opposed to two torpedoes, completly disregarding the fact you have to fly low and slow for torpedoes to deploy and whatnot.
Also, we would be able to use the Bumblebee guidance systems and possibly adapt them for use in the bombs/torpedoes and even for indirect artillery computers.

I'd rather use a method of deploying our vital air power overseas that doesn't limit them and also make them worse. These planes are fighting after all.
I'd rather use a method of deploying our vital air power overseas that doesn't limit their use to just a few and makes them very vurneable to being destroyed before they even take off due to enemy naval superiority.

As for Allies/Axis/Soviets, I belive we can cherry pick who we want to ally with. We gave Hitler Sturmgewehrs, he loves us. US founded the rebellion and also Moskurg gave them useful tank sometime ago. Soviets we gave the steam tank which they adored because it was great for what they wanted, and they're always eager to spread the revolution.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »

Why are carriers and seaplanes mutually exclusive?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 500