Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592304 times)

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Battle Phase)
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:59 am »

We may as well invent proper rockets in that case ten Zan, no point in using the torpedo for such. Besides, Cannalan ships don't pack torpedo defenses.
How do we know they don't. In fact, do we have a list of their wargear available to us?
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2017, 11:38:16 am »

We have even better convoy raiders: Aircraft.
While I agree, we would need a seaplane or carrier first. So we might want to build that seaplane as a second design after a destroyer, depending on how well our battles are going. And subs are always useful if we lose Air superiority.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2017, 11:40:26 am »

At the very worst we slap a couple torpedo tubes and an artillery battery on the cargoship and call it a destroyer.  We could also just chop-top a cargoship and put in a flight deck, too
Well, that is what the first aircraft carriers were.

I wonder if that'd count as a revise action.

I highly highly doubt it, and if it worked it'd probably be a pretty crappy proof-of-concept carrier. Best to spend a design on it if it's going to be the centrepiece of our naval strategy.

And navy-wise, I'm agreeing with evictedSaint here. Only carriers and destroyers, no big guns at all. Destroyers to eventually have sonar+torpedo for anti-submarine and AA guns everywhere, while carriers have the radar and Sky CancerTM their way to victory. If we're going full-on foreknowledge, don't invest even the slightest bit of work in Big Guns when air-dropped bombs will outperform them in range in short order. No subs either, when our carriers can double in the interdiction role if not facing off against enemy carriers and battleships.
While all out aero-naval doctrine would make sense given our heavy air-focus, I fear we may get spanked by "metaing" the future of naval warfare...

Glory to Forenia!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:18 am »

We may as well invent proper rockets in that case ten Zan, no point in using the torpedo for such. Besides, Cannalan ships don't pack torpedo defenses.
How do we know they don't. In fact, do we have a list of their wargear available to us?

We ought to get the finalized list they chose during the pregame as part of the first battle report, but if you really want to you can check the Cannala vs. Juraki game that preceded this one to get an idea of what they're capable of.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:38 am »

Unfortunately they do. Their ships all either have torpedo bulges or bulkheads. Hence why I wanted the magnetic detonator, to go under them.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/arms-race-main-thread-the-story-continues.387223/page-52#post-27611991
This is the last combat report of their old thread (which we are allowed to read, unlike their new thread). That's basically all the equipment they have to choose from.

EDIT:
I fear we may get spanked by "metaing" the future of naval warfare...
Nah. People were allowed to develop assault rifles way ahead of time. As long as the tech is plausible, we can skip all the doctrines we like.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:45:50 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:52 am »

We have even better convoy raiders: Aircraft.
While I agree, we would need a seaplane or carrier first. So we might want to build that seaplane as a second design after a destroyer, depending on how well our battles are going. And subs are always useful if we lose Air superiority.
Or better yet, we build a carrier. More efficient than seaplanes anyway.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

Only carriers and destroyers, no big guns at all.

Eh, I think we should at least add in mine layers as well.  Works with the 'indirect' doctrine we are wanting to go for.

My thought is that if we go straight for them, Sensei will put them in the highest slot.  Going indirect, we may be able to bump it down a notch or two, which would be really helpful.

At the very worst we slap a couple torpedo tubes and an artillery battery on the cargoship and call it a destroyer.  We could also just chop-top a cargoship and put in a flight deck, too
The first part is a feasible Q ship, the latter would need a catapult and other features (our cargo ships are small at only 60m long while a CVL or CVE usually was much larger as in about double that length) or it wouldn't work.

Curious, how does that length compare to the ships they have that we know of from their prior game?

While all out aero-naval doctrine would make sense given our heavy air-focus, I fear we may get spanked by "metaing" the future of naval warfare...

I doubt it.  Planes are what we are used to and we did choose a general that indicates an aircraft-focused doctrine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:45:42 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:23 am »

Hang on, just had a thought.  Could we revise our torpedoes to use rocket propulsion to get missiles we arm our bombers with, to hit the side of their ships above the torpedo defenses?

Edit: And from there, develop rocket artillery?
So when I propose interesting stuff based on real designs that worked, it's shoot down because it's retarded, but when others do it it's okay?
And hitting the side of their ships isin't going to be that great, main reason why torpedoes are underwater is that if they hit underwater they do way more damage. If you're striking from air, you usually want to hit the deck from above.
I believe you're looking at dive bombers, which do a lot of damage but unfortunately not the kind that actually sinks the ship, making it unrepairable.

Also Kot, if you really like seaplanes I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the PBY Catalina flying boat.

EDIT: Quit posting!

United Forenia Forever!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:43 am »

We ought to get the finalized list they chose during the pregame as part of the first battle report, but if you really want to you can check the Cannala vs. Juraki game that preceded this one to get an idea of what they're capable of.
As a fan of arms race, I have read that a few months ago when I first ran into this forum game, though I try to limit my knowledge beyond "Their navy is way better than our's"

Glory to Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2017, 11:45:07 am »

Just because we can make the concept easier doesn't mean it'll be just as effective.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:58 am »

Returning to that torpedo-rocket idea. If we really want "aerial torpedoes" later down the line, what would you folks thin of something along the line of the Fritz X or the Henschel Hs 293 glide bombs?

Glory to Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:43 am »

We've already had Kot beating our ears with that, so please don't start that again Q.Q

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2017, 11:49:18 am »

We've already had Kot beating our ears with that, so please don't start that again Q.Q
With glide-bombs? I only recall the floatplane thing.

Glory to Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:31 am »

Well, on the discord anyway. Still, we don't really have a bomber capable of delivering them effectively so they aren't too useful until that's solved.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:52 am »

Haha, whoops sorry. But I do wonder if we can do a flying boat both for troop transport and naval reconnaissance, with the recon version having the troop compartment converted into fuel tanks and other supplies for extended range and loiter time.

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 500