Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239376 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1140 on: July 20, 2019, 04:41:41 pm »

Gogol is the god of "it was inevitable".

I'm liking these humanfolk already-- I can't wait to see the coming updates!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:34:30 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:28 pm »

Obligatory Cathar is awesome post.

Seriously, love the comic and glad to see you starting up a new fort.

I'm pretty busy right now, and don't have a lot of time to be dwarfed, but I'll keep lurking and throw together some writing if Donu or any of Zothoabo's clan migrate to the new fort. Depending on the timeframe, I may ask to be dwarfed a couple migrant waves from now.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1142 on: July 25, 2019, 01:14:01 pm »

Gogol is the god of "it was inevitable".
Gogol is the god of fun. The more you think about it the more it makes sense

Obligatory Cathar is awesome post.

Seriously, love the comic and glad to see you starting up a new fort.

I'm pretty busy right now, and don't have a lot of time to be dwarfed, but I'll keep lurking and throw together some writing if Donu or any of Zothoabo's clan migrate to the new fort. Depending on the timeframe, I may ask to be dwarfed a couple migrant waves from now.

M-my heart >< I'm very glad you like, I'll try to do even better from now on.
You really don't have to help or to write, but if you want to do, I'll dorf you gladly

The embarkment
As the diplomatic situation of the kingdom of Kima continues to sink into the quicksands of war, it becomes more and more apparent that the border security provided by Thomocemir can only be meaningful if the kingdom manages to secure its territory. As long as the country is divided, ans villages are forced to defend their own territory, banditism and incursions of the elves of Pilalene and Wulemaapasi will keep on plaguing it.

There can't be any collective and permanent solution as long as the kingdom is spread out over a wide territory, and as long as the interior sea will cut the kingdom in two, no reunification can happen.

In those troubled times, then, it was common understanding that any solution to the spreading out of the country would be dearly rewarded ; not only that issue was of security concern, but the lenght and danger of the actual route was taking its toll in the nation's trade capacity.

It was in summer 143 that a group of seven people, calling themselves the Aconilun – the Coastal Council- decided to take its chance. They took a loan to the trader's guild, and, armed with corroded copper tools and accompanied by two puppy dogs, they travelled eastward.

Their plan was simple : to build a bridge where the interior sea run the thiner.

Right here[/img]

Currently, to cross the interior sea to reach the royal holdings, one would have to go around the interior sea by the north, crossing Pilalene's controlled forests and bandit infested wilderness, go unconfortably close to Wulemaapasi's lands and the dying empire of Ansgekstozu, and this is to say nothing of the savage beasts, roaming freely along the road. A bridge over the sea would cut the most dangerous part of the travel, reunite the kingdom's cities, impoving its trade capacity and allowing a wider organization of its military defense plan.

That is a lot for a simple bridge.

As a side note, the eastern side of Kimaeslo Ori gives to the dwarven kingdom of Lalrigoth – that is alright, tho, as Lalrigoth is an ally in the war against Osme. It is however paramount for us to never compromize our relation with our dwarven allies.

The debt

We know only a few facts on the Aconilun, as what happend to them before their bridge project is not documented. They entered in History for the first time in spring 143, when Toki, a young woman, moved to the royal castle of Asuciro to take a loan to the trader's guild. That loan was to buy a collection of tools, a caravan, pack animals, and the rights to a rather large piece of land to build the Bridge of Pearlshore – Kimaeslo Ori.

Altho the group was not documented in the royal records, the guild paid for their starting expenses gladly, sure to recoup their money, by litteral reinbursment, but more importantly in the strategic advantage the bridge would provide them with.

The Aconilun was composed of the following members :
• Hauben, maceman
• Hasbun and Bannic, cooks, brewers and farmers
• Joakim, smith and hammerman
• Toki, trader
• Esqu, animal trainer
• Gram, miner, mechanic and temporary leader of the Aconilun

They arrived on the beach of Kimaeslo Ori in midsummer.

They took a quick rest near the waters of the aptly named Warm Sea, then started to work immediatly. They were now quite far away from civilization, and needed to build their own little village soon if they were to survive the weather and the wild. So as most of the group foraged for food and building material, Gram built an emergency shelter inside a grassy hill, to use until real houses were available.

As no woodworker was available, Hauben undertook the responsability of cutting some trees and making construction material. Local plants  were seeded into a small field, and soon after, blackberry wine was in production.

Altho sleeping underground, in a confined area, was quite unnerving, the group would quite often just take walks along the beach, eating prepared meat and drinking wine. All things considered, it was pretty soft for an exile.

The invasion

Things would start to get dire later in the summer, as members of the Aconilun were busy preparing their infrastucture, a band of rhesus macacques – probably intrigued by the presence of their new neighbours, decided to pay them a visit.

Ten monkeys followed the shore and, as soon as they saw the abandonned wagon, rushed it mercilessly and looted it clean.

The food was already stored eitherway, but a great deal of metal tools were lost. Esqu, trying to save some materials from the hairy scavengers, managed to catch one of them. A quick fight ensued.

Esqu was not a fighter, but he was quite used to animals and most importantly, was three to four time the size of the little creature. He lifted it by the throat, punched it a couple time, then threw it on the rocky beach. The creature stopped moving soon after and the rest of its band quickly fled.

When Esqu came back to the shelter, one of his finger was causing extreme pain to him – probably broken on the monkey's face.

Altho they were lucky it was just monkeys, the group would have to think of a defense strategy, rather sooner than later. What if it was wolves ?

Soon after the incident, the Aconilun was joined by a travelling family. It was actually a group of quite notable people. The father – a man name Ari-Taskmo – was a well know glassmaker from Thomocemir. He is mostly known to have built the famous temple complex of the city.

His wife, Budo, was also a very experienced farmer and they arrived with their seven kids.  They should all help tending to the fields, which is most welcome as arms were lacking until then.

Altho it becomes urgent we build some real housing.

The rest of the summer and autumn were pretty calm. Mapple planks started to pile up in the workshop, so a little house was starting to get built near the farm, on the grassy hill. Completion should still take some time, but before fall is through, a room was sealed and would be used to store the food and drink safely for the time being.

As winter was slowly falling on Kimaeslo Ori, the Aconilun was still going strong. Soon, they would have some more confort and would leave their underhill shelter, have real rooms and real beds.

In the meantime, autumn on the beach was not that disagreable – winter would probably not be either.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:07:56 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:46 pm »

Hell yeah, saw most of the pictures on dA first. Good to see the update.

Also, a nitpick on it, it's "Banditry" not "Banditism."  :P

EDIT: I'm hoping there's some iron on site somewhere that can be accessed, or that the dwarves have been modded slightly to come to trade in Autumn. What I intend to draw may not make sense with copper or bronze.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 25, 2019, 05:58:49 pm »

It begins! Excited to see how this plays out. Thanks again for doing this!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1145 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:03 pm »

It begins! Excited to see how this plays out. Thanks again for doing this!

You're very welcome ! My pleasure really. I'll be drawing a bit more every day

Hell yeah, saw most of the pictures on dA first. Good to see the update.

Also, a nitpick on it, it's "Banditry" not "Banditism."  :P

EDIT: I'm hoping there's some iron on site somewhere that can be accessed, or that the dwarves have been modded slightly to come to trade in Autumn. What I intend to draw may not make sense with copper or bronze.

I had to redo the cover, which was not really satisfying, but the new one is alright I believe. Else, don't worry about real world physics, as long as it makes sense in the DF's physics. My last hero had a two handed bronze sword, which is physically impossible as bronze is too soft to make long weapons. Stuff would just bend on strike. But the rules of the game are the physics of its universe, so worst case scenario, don't worry ! It'll work in our context

Also humans have access to iron. We just can't make steel or adamantine.

And..banditry, not banditism >< alright it's noted
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:54:39 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 25, 2019, 07:44:29 pm »

Well what I mean is when is the last time you saw a sallet made of bronze or copper? I dunno if it'd look as good in tan/brown vs light grey, hence my wondering what we'd have locally available. Since having played a metal-less embark (literally has nothing but adamantine in Battlejudge, for ore which was absolutely horrible to me at the outset, but have since learned to live with,) I can say it's way easier to be able to source locally than have to wait for caravans.

The specific one is this kind. I'm quite fond of face concealing gear (partially because I'm absolutely dreadful at drawing dudes' faces, but mostly because they tend to look cooler than open-face ones.) This one in particular is even open enough in the back for that mass of floof Hauben has in the back, but is still good and protective.

Although in truth I've just found myself gravitating to this particular style of helmet in general and have yet to figure out why.

Also I should point out if dwarves come to trade there's absolutely nothing stopping the locals from working steel, it just can't be produced locally (which I generally chalk up to dwarves being unwilling to share the specifics on the recipe, both in terms of heat and materials.) And I figure having a militia packing steel gear would be a real testament to how wealthy the place is down the line, that they can afford such an extravagance compared to virtually any other human settlement.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:14 pm »

Yay, story!  And it looks like it won't drive you crazy with all the needed art so long as the game keeps being helpful like this.  Also, I like the two puppies.

Although in truth I've just found myself gravitating to this particular style of helmet in general and have yet to figure out why.

Probably for the same reason a lot of awesome-looking helmets in fiction seem to take cues for style from this helmet, i.e., because the real-world original looks awesome.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:29 pm »

Well what I mean is when is the last time you saw a sallet made of bronze or copper? I dunno if it'd look as good in tan/brown vs light grey, hence my wondering what we'd have locally available. Since having played a metal-less embark (literally has nothing but adamantine in Battlejudge, for ore which was absolutely horrible to me at the outset, but have since learned to live with,) I can say it's way easier to be able to source locally than have to wait for caravans.

Ooh ooh, what about one of them Corinthian helmets? Something like this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

looks best in bronze anyway! :D

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 25, 2019, 10:01:59 pm »

Corinthians are really good ones, but definitely more what I'd imagine bronze helmets to look like, and copper ones looking like the Coolus or Boar-Tusk helmets in shape, though I really dunno why. Just feels appropriate I guess for copper helmets to be much simpler and basic looking since in DF unless you're seriously short on luck or going for a challenge of some sort, I figure most players treat copper armor as throw-away gear to be ditched/melted as soon as better gear is available.

EDIT: Hell, it could be that in most DF worlds, fielding primarily copper gear is considered a sign of extreme poverty in a settlement because it can't afford to field literally anything better.

Also congrats Cathar, you got a bunch of nerds to have a discussion about armor in your thread.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 25, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »

Also congrats Cathar, you got a bunch of nerds to have a discussion about armor in your thread.
The mark of true success!

klonk
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 26, 2019, 06:19:35 am »

Plz don't let the puppies die.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 26, 2019, 06:36:51 am »

The thoughts of Joakim at work

Today I saw a monkey with an axe.
Monkeys should not have axes.
I do not approve of axe monkeys.

klonk
Sigtext

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 26, 2019, 10:35:40 am »

My grill will make them dead puppies useful, don't worry!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 26, 2019, 11:05:34 am »

I have a feeling you'll be occupied with various monkey-related victuals.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 111