Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 241994 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1155 on: July 26, 2019, 12:14:20 pm »

Monkey innards stew is best stew, don't let your mom tell you otherwise! :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1156 on: July 26, 2019, 01:40:40 pm »

Wow, a lot of things ><

First of, don't worry, the puppers are doing good, and it's my project to grow their population to the point they can be used in defense against small threats, and by small threats I mean rhesus macaques specifically. I haven't mentionned that yet, but six months in, and the pups are already adult. Tho : we'll have many, many more.

On metal and gear design, and design philosophy used in MK :

In general in Mong Kima, what we do is we try to forget the real world and instead use the game's data to create an original world. Pearlites have, for exemple, nothing to do with european civilization, they are a thing in their own right. The goal of design is not to replicate our world, but to create a brand new one.
With that said, using real life inspiration is permitted, but the two main factors are :

• Is it loyal to the game data ? The rules of the game are the physics of the universe. Thats the most important stuff
• Is this cool and or fun, do people like it ? That's where artistic licence kicks in.

For reference, usually, pearlite soldiers and fighters wear an armor made of leather scales and a conic cap made of metal. The symbol of the country (a three point crown) is usually worn of the cap. Rich fighters show their wealth by using gems for the said symbol.

Tho this is for low level fighters, the kind of people you see in village defense forces or as travelling mercenaries. Thomocemir knights use metal breastplates, copper chainmail and a helmet that looks like a mixture between a beret and a samurai helmet, usually made of bronze or iron.

TL;DR :  Create new stuff, instead of relying on historical gear. Loyalty to game data > loyalty to real history

I'm absolutely sure I forgot something, I'm sorry if this is indeed the case

Edit : AH YES. The status of copper.

Copper is considered cheap... for a metal. Metal is expensive as all hell. It is, all things considered, a rare thing, and have a lot of applications in tools and gear of war. A fortress able to clad its whole military in copper is already considered rich, as most village can only afford leather, and even tho, not full armors. Keep in mind we're quite less technologically advanced than ancient egypt
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:44:01 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 26, 2019, 03:45:14 pm »

As a study-er of History and architecture, I have to agree with Cathar. What people did in the past is all right, but coming up with your own creations, especially by interpreting pre-existing vague concepts, is immensly satisfying. Creating something unique within limitations is a wonderful thing, and the Pearlites are definetely something very unique.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 26, 2019, 07:46:32 pm »

My "loyalty to history" in this case stopped at color pallet and the design. I have a preference for the Sallet-bevor combo and light gray, and honestly it's a look that I don't think would look near as good in tan (that is, copper or bronze. I don't think it'd look good in light blue either. :P) I consider it to be a style of helmet that looks cool and doesn't need any flashy embellishments, but it does need to be made from iron or steel to really shine and not look wonky (to my own tender A E S T H E T I C sensibilities anyway.) It just so happens it's also a helmet design that happens to work with Hauben's, since the back allows room for his hair.

But then, I'm a boring person who knows what he likes for armor aesthetics, and that's primarily based in real world designs, especially since you can only do so much before designs start looking garish and silly/out of place or too utilitarian and boring. Plus, I'd like to draw something pertaining to the thread, but what I've seen for helmets just don't look good to me personally.

Spoiler: A long winded tangent (click to show/hide)

Strictly speaking though Cathar, you're within the right to tell me to get fucked and call me wrong in absolutely every single area since this is your show. :P

EDIT: Edited for grammer, but on a third viewing I love just how calm and matter-of-fact that long-nosed dude sounds in my head in the previous action-y tinged update that showed that battle with the elves. "Do not surrender, we're not taking prisoners."

It's a sentiment I fully request we embrace should raiders inevitably come.

EDIT II: I do however now have a ridiculous idea for a rough sketchy comic thing. Who is the armorer?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 27, 2019, 02:38:10 am »

We're definitely past Ancient Rome, what with our glass making, steel, and crossbows :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1160 on: July 27, 2019, 07:29:53 am »

Spoiler: About copper (click to show/hide)

With all of that said, the absolute best you can do is to modify existing designs from the thread. BUT if you want to come up with something original, you're very welcome. Have fun, that's the most important. I'll adapt myself to what you do.

Strictly speaking though Cathar, you're within the right to tell me to get fucked and call me wrong in absolutely every single area since this is your show. :P

You are by all means very welcome and I'm happy to discuss aesthetics, I just want to explain my creative process so we're on the same page. I'm very happy you've finally came to my little world o/

What else ; Joakim is the smith, but we don't have a forge yet.

And about Pathril, the commander of Thomocemir's knights...he saw a lot of things. This is his 13th battle ; since Tetzobsha was destroyed and commander Stipoth was slain, Pathril is now the most important military figure in the whole country.
In general, we tend to take prisonners and to avoid escalation of conflicts - the assault on Pilalene  was rather exceptionnal, as we needed to cripple their military and to avenge the population of Tetzobsha.

First years are usually very calm, so next update is almost ready. There's not a lot happening as long as we're less than 40 souls
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:00:18 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 27, 2019, 10:44:21 am »

I'll be 100% up front, I haven't tried to read the entire thing. Threads that get past a certain point I seldom get involved in because there's a ton of back-tracking to do, especially in ones that are poorly organized (Spearbreakers was a very, very harsh teacher in terms of control and organization, which is why I seldom ever get involved in things.) This is unfortunately one of those threads where going back through everything feels like a rather daunting prospect due to poor organization, and I hope I cause no offense in saying that.  :-\

As far as aesthetics, comparisons to the real world and so on, I feel like this'd escalate into an argument very, very quickly because this is a serious case of two opposing views and mental images on Dwarf Fortress itself, and that's not going to easily reconcile. Also your insistence about copper is coming off more as choosing to make use of it over other metals. The gameplay side of me is what's screeching about not doing everything within one's power to get equipment made of better materials if for no other reason than it not falling apart in two or three serious engagements. It also makes it sound like you have garbage craftsmen and lousy brokers who are too inept to secure anything better.

Copper is just something I've come to associate with a militia operating on the material equivalent of a shoestring budget or training up new metalworkers, not with wealth, and having anyone do so just sounds wrong because of how much of a stopgap material it comes off as.

Also, as a little fun thing, I noticed something about the last helmets shown so far. They felt like a look I had seen somewhere before and then it hit me.

They share a very similar profile the the Halo 2 Anniversary marine helmets, enough that they look like an extremely primitive version of them, at least to me, assuming they maintain that gradual slope to a tapered brim.

EDIT: An apology is due alongside this because I sat here for a good 30 minutes constantly having to backtrack and pare this down so it wasn't some long-winded tirade about materials and so forth.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1162 on: July 27, 2019, 11:08:44 am »

Pfff, that's okay man. Have fun, again that's what matters. I'd rather continue that conversation in private if you want, so we don't clog the thread itself, but that is okay. Don't worry, I'll do my best to make the story great

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 27, 2019, 01:48:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote][/spoiler]
I’ve gone through the old thread to find some older examples of portraits of armoured Pearlites, and I found a page with broken images. I don’t know how many might be in this state, but I’ll have a closer look.

Edit: Here’s some images of armoured Pearlites, if it does anything for the discussion.
Spoiler: Siblings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gobbos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: False alarm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another broken image (click to show/hide)
Enother edit: The first quotes images seem to have inexplicably fixed themselves, so I don’t know what that was.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:38:54 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 28, 2019, 05:37:02 am »

What civilization would those goblins happen to be from? I'm obviously not on the up and up on who is who civ-wise. Because while not as good as my original idea, I'll need a name for what I plan to reconcile the conflicting design of the helmet I'd prefer to depict Hauben with.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1165 on: July 28, 2019, 05:50:42 am »

That would be Osmestobűb, Osme, or Osme Empire for short. They are the blue-gray-skinned goblins located to the east who are expending in all directions at the moment. Thomocemir was built in part to stop their progression westward

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 28, 2019, 06:08:05 am »

Apparently not XD.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:21:35 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1167 on: July 28, 2019, 06:14:39 am »

Guys, I'm sorry to thread police, but for stuff that is not related to MK, can you guys do that in private or in another thread? Else the thread get cluttered and unreadable, and we've been pretty active in that department already

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 28, 2019, 06:17:23 am »

When updoot of new fort :V
SigFlags!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 28, 2019, 06:54:09 am »

When it's done, I imagine. I know there's elves involved who will probably get all upset over the logging that's likely happened eventually.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 111