Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239402 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2017, 11:28:02 pm »

One Punch Kid best kid.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2017, 03:52:13 pm »

I've been busy recently. I've been able to follow the updates, but it's taken me longer to crank out this vignette. This one follows where the last one left off with the birth of the new baby, and I've finally gotten around to picking a name.

Zothoabo rushed Hustra to an empty bed, first making sure it wasn’t covered with blood and vomit like some of the others. “Just breathe” he softly intoned, while massaging her swollen belly.

“I know what I’m doing” she huffed, swatting his hand away.

“Don’t worry, I’m a doctor. You’ll be find.”

“I don’t need a doctor, I need my husband. Call a midwife to do the dirty work, I need YOU right now.”
Zothoabo sighed briefly before kissing his wife on the head. “as you say dear.” He quickly left the room and returned moments later with a midwife.

The short, stocky midwife contrasted almost comically with Zothoabo’s thin frame. She immediately went to Hustra and began helping her through labor, while Zothoabo moved to the head of the bed, and began massaging his wife’s shoulders.

“If you’re not going to help me, distract her.” Blurted the midwife from the other side of the bed.
Hustra looked up at Zothoabo, and he blushed, glancing around for a subject with which he could distract his wife.

“I don’t think we came up with a name yet did we?” he asked

“Relax! Just breathe!” shouted the midwife, and popped up over the bed to glare at Zothoabo.

“Don’t worry, dear, I have the perfect name prepared, just follow the midwife’s instructions, you’re doing great.”

Hustra growled at her husband, “You’re really bad at this, you know.” She paused for a bit, smiling as he made a face of mock surprise. “I hope the goblins or elves don’t attack, and put any more pour souls under your ‘professional’ care.”

Zothoabo smiled down at his wife again, “You know I offer only the best professional care.”

She opened her mouth to respond, then let out a groan as another round of contractions came.

Zothoabo leaned over and whispered into her ear, “You know, if the pain’s too much I could break your finger to knock you unconscious.” He smirked at her look of horror, then continued, “Word is it doesn’t work as well as it used to.”

Hustre tried smiling through the contactions, but it didn’t last long.

‘How much longer?” he asked the midwife

“Almost, she just has to push now.”

After some more pain and uncomfortable jokes, the baby was born and Hustra was relaxing on the bed, trying not to encourage any more bad jokes out of her husband.

The nurse finished washing the baby, and handed the swaddled infant to hustra to watch over.
“So, what name did you pick out for this one?” she asked

“I was thinking Kiseabo.”

“I was thinking we would call this one Sor.”

“Sor meaning funeral?”

“Fine, your name’s better.”

Zothoabo bent down to kiss his wife, and then kissed his newborn baby on the head.

“I should punch you in the arm for those comments earlier.”

“You’d break my arm.”

“You need to keep up your military training. How are you supposed to protect a family of 6?” She began rocking the new baby back and forth and smiled up at Zothoabo, “You can’t go around breaking everyone’s fingers.”

“Hey! You can’t go around revealing my secret technique.” He jested, and began massaging her shoulders again. “The River Guard has come a long way since we first got here. Soon we’ll rival the capital city. I think this is the safest place we could be in all of Mong Kima. ” 
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2017, 09:08:38 pm »

Love all these updates and the Zothabo stuff. I just love how DF can activate the imagination in people.
Also Cathar, is Mate sharing rooms with Uquur or is he still in the poor people room common dormitory?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »

Thanks a lot for your writing :D I loved every bit of it. Zothoabo has been redrilled, this time on the bowsquad for cross training, and will be released from duty after battles when needed. Sor has been renamed, and I'm happy to say you have yet another daughter born.
Also Mate doesnt share room with a married woman :D But he has his own room in the same house. He's our best cook, and he deserves as much. If you want some female company Im sure I can make that happen tho

Winter 135, the goblin attacked again, and this time they came in full force. Their three first attacks combined could not compare to the sheer mass they threw at us this time. Words has been coming to us we're not the only target of their rage... Apparently they decided all of a sudden to launch sieges absolutely everywhere their can bring their slate faces to. Hairyoracle sustained attacks, as well as the nothern goblins, of which one dark pit was captured.

It looks like their demon king, Lomoth, is trying to unify the region under its rule. As if we hadn't enough problems already ! The elves, the dwarves, the goblins, every sentient being is planning our destruction one way or the other. Regardless, we'll endure. As long as Watershield stands, Lomoth and his sbires will go no further.

They came in the winter, during the very short here the trees lose their leaves and the burgeons hasn't grow back yet. At first, we thought it was only one of the small raids we were accustomed to. Imic stood inside the walls to protect the population, and my shieldbangers deployed to meet them.

Music

As we approached, it turned out their forces were more consequent than we thought. Wave after wave, they kept pouring from the sleeping woods. Regardless, we rushed and engaged them.

We started to carve a path of meat and broken copper through them, striking high and low, left and right. Limbs were flying several meters high, as we stroke their unarmored arms and legs. But they kept coming faster than we could kill them. One of my men, Saquar, was singled out, surrounded and struck down.
Xetan, who had joined my unit, had slain seventeen fiends at this point, but took a blow in the leg and fell to the ground. We moved to protect her but they kept coming by dozens...and trolls among them charged at us. Our own momentum had stopped, and now we were in a ginding match we wern't garanteed to win.

"You will know my ferocity"

That's what Imic shouted when the swordmen charged. In his case, ferocity was an understatement. The man just ran through them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Their reinforcement kept coming, but now the tide of battle had turned. Xetan managed to retreat, and the rest of us started to push forward and the slaugher resumed.

The battle continued deep into the night and it was around four in the morning when we killed the last of them. The brook was red, corpses were everywhere. One hundred twenty goblins and trolls had died. Fear only stroke us when adrenaline left our bodies.

It is hard to describe that feeling of shattering world that filled all of us, as we were standing on that mountain of dead bodies. When we came back, most of us had...changed.

Altho we just destroyed an army six to seven times bigger than us, we felt no pride. We knew that would happen when we embarked, five years ago, for the place that would be Watershield.
The determination of preventing the horrors of the woods from reaching our brothers and sisters of the kingdom, which was the reason we came here, is pretty much all that's left of us.

I'll reach for a bottle. Tomorrow morning, we'll resume the training and drill more recruits. We'll stand here, on this cursed brook, until the very end.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:26:28 pm by Cathar »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:57 pm »

Is it possible to get Zefer's kill count?
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:28 pm »

No one in the bowsquad has any kill, and none of them are likely to get some. Again, it's a support squad, they are not unit killers.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:00 pm »

Aaah. I thought maybe that one of us would've got an accidental kill at one point or another
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:18 pm »

That's very unlikely to happen, goblin has head and torso armor, our wooden arrows can't pierce those. But their limbs are unarmored, and a shot to the leg is a huge advantage for the army, which is why I'm keeping the bows around. They are a "every bit helps" kind of force

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2017, 10:33:27 pm »

I'm guessing we don't have copper arrows for obvious reasons? Anyway, just checking in on him because he is almost like 20 ish now, right?
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2017, 10:37:19 pm »

Oh, now we do. I'm making reserves of copper arrows directly taken from the enemy, but I don't have much expectations for them. But if Zefer kill anything I'll be sure to tell you :D

Zefer is born in 121, and we're now in spring 136... so he's around 14-15.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:01 pm »

Alrighty, we will be in business of killing leg nerves with better arrows soon! Thanks for answering my questions.
"Men! On my count!"

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:51 pm »

Also Mate doesnt share room with a married woman :D
Dammit Good, that's something Mate totally wouldn't do.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2017, 12:04:44 am »

That was awesome.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »

OOC : Before I go further, I shall do a bit of absolutely necessary spoilers:shit is going to hit the fan very, very, very hard. But in a reasonably long yet undetermined time. In the meantime, construction will take place, people will make babies, harvest will be plentiful, etc., but not anything that is truely worth mentionning.

So long story short, we have a handful of peaceful months in front of us, and I'd like to use them to go and draw and tell everydays stories. Bit like slice of life, as we hadn't much of them in this fort. So if you have any suggestion of a character we should focus on, stories you want to hear about and so on, by all means be my guest. I already have some ideas, but more ideas is always good o/

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2017, 11:36:37 pm »

OOC : Before I go further, I shall do a bit of absolutely necessary spoilers:shit is going to hit the fan very, very, very hard. But in a reasonably long yet undetermined time. In the meantime, construction will take place, people will make babies, harvest will be plentiful, etc., but not anything that is truely worth mentionning.

So long story short, we have a handful of peaceful months in front of us, and I'd like to use them to go and draw and tell everydays stories. Bit like slice of life, as we hadn't much of them in this fort. So if you have any suggestion of a character we should focus on, stories you want to hear about and so on, by all means be my guest. I already have some ideas, but more ideas is always good o/
Well it'd be interesting to see what do the doctors do in those rare times when nobody is dying horribly.
Also maybe check how a certain not-so-talented cook stationed on a border fortress is doing, partly because I'm an egocentric arse.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 111