Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: A Normal College Game With Absolutely No Odd Goings On | Enroll Today! [5!?/4]  (Read 5395 times)

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile

Ha! He'd caught the strange butterfly and now he was gonna take a closer look at the thing. If he couldn't figure it right away he'd at least have somewhere, hopefully anyway, safe before looking for someone or something to help him figure it out.

Head to the dorms and follow up on that lead!

So quick question the my flavor made me think of, do we have a place to store our resources for safe keeping?
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

That is a good point. Perhaps, as a digital board game, it could reach further limits. For example, from what I know, Hearthstone has things like random cards and voice lines under its belt as advantages in its media. One day, I might end up creating some programming that could run such a card game..if all the graphics and cards and such were made. But for now, things like this are just pipe dreams.

The actual programming groundwork isn't atrociously difficult, it's the balancing, the graphical frills, and all the little niggly hooks and bits and bobs that can continue to engross a person that are the obscenely difficult.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

That is a good point. Perhaps, as a digital board game, it could reach further limits. For example, from what I know, Hearthstone has things like random cards and voice lines under its belt as advantages in its media. One day, I might end up creating some programming that could run such a card game..if all the graphics and cards and such were made. But for now, things like this are just pipe dreams.

The actual programming groundwork isn't atrociously difficult, it's the balancing, the graphical frills, and all the little niggly hooks and bits and bobs that can continue to engross a person that are the obscenely difficult.
With experience from Mephansteras' board game (Distant Colony!), it'll take time on this forum to fill it out turn by turn but consistency and perseverance helps a lot ^ ^

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

So did Stan actually get to Investigate the bar before getting burglarafied?

If not - Investigate the bar!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So did Stan actually get to Investigate the bar before getting burglarafied?

If not - Investigate the bar!

That was your investigate card, so, yes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Damn. In that case perhaps Stan should go to the Hospital and Investigate. Surely any survivors of terrifying attacks might be there.

No wait! We have to get a job, right? Yeah! And I don't actually know IC that there's anyone been mangled horribly by a possessed small intestine?

So can I Saunter back into the pub and Investigate if they have any jobs?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:42:35 am by lawastooshort »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You just investigate, and if the opportunity to get a job comes up, it comes up.

Granted, I have the distinct ability ensure that a job card comes up, but I'm not going to force that on round 2. Pray to RNGesus and investigate.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Well, that about cinched that. Ezra would be in here studying for the next couple of hours, then -- when you don't succeed, it just means that you need to pump in more effort, as Ezra always told himself. And it was a pretty easy time of the semester to pump in lots of effort, yes? Now, to look back over those physics books, and grab one or two on math while he's at it...
Lose a turn to studying.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mawe
Interaction Card,
The Song...
Type: Event
Challenge: Advanced Savvy
-Pass: Gain 3 knowledge
-Fail:  Gain 3 stress, gain 3 knowledge
-Crit-Fail: Gain 3 stress

You spend another while poking through the theater center, trying to get a feel for the place. It's a labyrinthine building, with a curious turn of architecture that seems to favor curved hallways and ramps more often than right angles and stairs.

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact moment, but you become suddenly aware that you're not passing students in the hallways anymore. A palpable sense of isolation descends around you, as though you've suddenly begun moving through a life size model of the theater center rather than theater center itself.

A voice in song steals your attention before the bizarre feeling sets in too deeply. It's faint, but lovely, complex and wordless. It reminds you of... something. It's like a scent from the deep past, or how a color of just the right shade can remind you a Christmas bauble from back before true memories form. Strange shapes flicker in your mind's eye as the music continues, limned by angular thoughts in a language that you very nearly understand...

Andrew
Interaction Card,
Butterfly, Pt. 2
Type: Event
Challenge: Standard Knowledge
-Pass: Open next phase of the challenge, gain 1 tech.
-Fail:  Gain 2 Stress
-Crit-Fail: Discard this Lead

Getting the butterfly back to your dorm is the easy part- containing it so you can look it is quite another. The edges of its wings are indeed as sharp as razor blades, and you end up improvising a sort of bird-cage like device for it out of an empty two-liter bottle and a couple of wire hangers.

After it's caged, you take a couple dozen photos on your cellphone. Hopefully the quality will be decent enough that you start getting a feel for how its chassis is put together, or, very maybe, get a feel for how its internals work.

Stan
Red-headed Twins
Type: Event/Event
Extra: Choose either challenge A or B.
Challenge A: Critical Savvy
-Pass: Gain unique Asset and draw an action card. Location changes to Dorms. Discard all stress.
-Fail:  Gain 4 stress
-Crit-Fail: Location Changes to Old Town Streets. Lose 5 HP.
Challenge B: Standard Savvy
-Pass: Nothing Happens
-Fail:  Gain 2 Stress
-Crit-Fail: Gain 2 Stress, Lose 2 Savvy, move to Downtown Streets.

Later, you're right back in the Dog. The wound on your head has scabbed over, and you honestly think it looks pretty damn badass if you sweep your hair around properly, and that's not even mentioning the stories you'll be able to tell.

You hang around the Dog for a couple hours, drinking, losing money on a drinking contest, winning it back at pool, and generally having a good time. You're taking a moment to enjoy your fourth (fifth? Eighth?) beer when They sit down on either side of you.

They are both very clearly female, dressed to complement. One is wearing ripped jeans of the designer variety and a top that appears to have been mauled around the waist by a determined badger. You can see a skull shaped belly ring and an abstract tattoo of some kind of some kind riding above her left hip. It's not one you've seen before, and it sort of looks like a double plus sign above an infinity symbol- which is odd since she doesn't exactly look like a closet math nerd. The second one, maybe. She's rocking the classy side of the spectrum, with a silver-gray blouse that has a ruffled neckline of the variety that promises a tantalizing peekaboo if the wind blew just the right way and a set of almost slacks that ride too low and hug the hip far too well to be considered business wear.

Both have waves of red hair, the kind of faces that raise pulses (among other things), and the most bizarre hazel eyes. Maybe it's their hair, maybe it's the lighting in the bar, maybe it's some kind of enhancement contacts they're wearing, but you could swear there are flecks of red in their irises.

"So, you're the one we heard about. It's nice to find a new face that's able to take care of himself."

"Too many new arrivals with no spines, little mamma's boys trying to find a place in the big world."

The two smile dazzlingly at from both sides, the combined effect makes your mouth go dry.

"Good to know you might be worth the while, though... it's not too impressive to just be able to take care of one person. Any man worth the name can do that..."

"So, I guess the question is how well you'd do if there had been more than on, huh?"

"What do you think? Could you handle more than one person at a time?"

Your skin is growing noticeably hotter, and a tiny part of your brain, the primal part responsible for keeping you safe from roaming sabretooth tigers, is screaming for you to run. Another, equally primal and significantly larger part of your brain, is telling you that many good and amazing things might happen if you go along with this.

That leaves the decision to you. Do you try and extricate yourself from the situation (Challenge B), or go with the flow and make the most of this... encounter? (Challenge A)

Rylie
Amid the Sprawl
Type: Dud
Effect:Gain 1 Might

Night in the warrens is an interesting experience to say the least. The buildings here are some of the oldest, more than two centuries in some cases, and seemingly designed by an agoraphobic. The streets are small, with buildings frequently jutting out over the road at perilous angles, and the alleys are so narrow that you'd have to flatten yourself sideways to squeeze inside. From what you've heard, a lot of these buildings are preserved as historic structures, as their queer construction is quite unique in the region, and frequent both as a point of study and as a bone of contention for architectural historians.

For you, however, it's just an interesting atmosphere for a walk.

Spoiler: MAP (click to show/hide)

((Bonus Points to anyone who can identify that tattoo))
---

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile

Study that butterfly/the photos of it!

Also is the tattoo supposed to be a Leviathan Cross?
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Keep investigating the warrens
((I'll update the +1 to Might under Resources later on :O))

How do you even get these ideas o-o That looks like a very matching description.
Although calling it 'math' had me think of them like "++" :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Study that butterfly/the photos of it!

Well done, fifteen brownie points for you.
Keep investigating the warrens
((I'll update the +1 to Might under Resources later on :O))

Nah, I just do the update step in the B phase. Easier if I keep it all together. You've got a dud, so, strictly speaking, I don't actually need an action from you at the moment- just Pi, Law, and Ocean.
---

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Do I even need to reconfirm that I'll do it?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do I even need to reconfirm that I'll do it?

Basically this turn exists so you can declare any action cards/resources you want to spend on challenges. I already know what you want to do, but it'll probably be nice in the latter stages of the game for me to still wait for confirmation.
---

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

So... I need 3 x 8/9/10s out of 4 dice? And could win or lose reasonably big.

Or 1? And could win nothing and lose reasonably small.

Unfortunately my urge to play IC is greater than my urge to head maths.

"Uhhh... totally. I could probably handle at least two ch- er people at once. Yeah."

Stan can totally handle waking up naked and alone and bleeding in the street because this is what will happen! Yeah! Challenge A.

edit: I ALREADY REGRET THIS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6