Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359760 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #435 on: July 03, 2017, 06:54:10 am »

abstain - I'm already doing what is being proposed that everyone do. I wont be impacted. So I won't vote since it doesnt pertain to me.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #436 on: July 03, 2017, 08:01:39 am »

I'll spawn in Fearce, as a somewhat wealthy store owner (don't dig for gold, sell shovels!)
What are my materials?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lessee...Your materials are the concept "Seal" and the substance "Honey"

Your holdings in Fearce are not grand by any means. Fearce itself is odd; built into a crater created when some manner of war machine of great size slammed into the hard packed dirt of the wastes. The machine was the site of the earliest scavenging and everything of any value had been torn from it, leaving only the metallic skeleton, upon which much of the town had grown. At this point you can only make out the vague shape of the structure, iron ribs and braces hundreds of feet wide rising up and peeking out of the hundreds of scrap metal shacks and complex but crumbling catwalks erected during the initial scavenging. The slums and machine shops and scrap cutters stretch out below like spreading rust, the flicker of their thundercutters like purple blue stars in the early evening.  Your shop, one of any number of independent machine shops aimed at creating replacement parts, is a two room metal shack located just off the landing of one of the main catwalks. Its a good location, nice and out in the open, but you're just one part seller in a great and over-saturated market. You make a living, but you're no tycoon. Its around 5 in the afternoon and the sun is coming in sideways, its light filtering through rust-holed metal plates and reaching you as nothing but tiny shafts of scattered amber light. You're sitting at the shop's front counter, elbows on the counter and head in your hands. Bored. Waiting.

The shopkeeper hands the rats back and tells you that someone in the noble quarter might pay for it; but it would need to be preserved and without some expert saying it is genuine, it might be hard to find a buyer.  He offers you a deal: He'll fix this up for you and sell it, giving you 50% of the profits. In return, you agree to sell any pelts you get to him exclusively.
Agree. Collect mad dosh. Make investigations about Living Bronze in Alkahest.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

You agree to the deal and he tells you to check back in a while to see if he's found a buyer. He estimates it will take him a week or two. Before you go, you ask him about living bronze. He thinks a moment and then tells you to try one of the specialty smiths. Living bronze has the powers of both self movement and memory but is rarely used outside of the constructions of Fearce, except for either bragging rights or special circumstances. He cautions you that any significantly sized piece of it will be quite expensive.  And indeed it is so when you follow his advice and find a fist sized piece of the stuff. Its not even a polished ball or anything, just a rough-hewn chunk of metal. But when the smith struck it with a small hammer to prove its authenticity, the metal rung with a pleasant tone...and continued to ring. It didn't stop till the merchant grabbed it with both hands and smothered it for a minute while talking to you. He wanted the thing's weight in gold, and said that was a discount.

Well then, lets take his advice. Talk to the people at the church.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

The church is a massive stone protuberance, almost like a stalagmite, rising straight out of the water and soaring up at least 100 feet in a sharp, conical fashion. The stone, clearly natural, has been carved to partially resemble a church, with the natural points of the stone made into towers and spires. It over all gives the impression of a church whose stone has continued to grow, expanding like baking bread and consuming some sections of it while the more prominent parts like the front and spires remain uncovered. The main doors of the church are made of twisted and darkened drift wood, fit together tightly by iron bands. The handles are huge conch shells bolted to the door so that one's hand can grasp the inward curve of the shell's opening like a handle. You pass into the church and find it to be strangely dark within, lit not from above but below. The church's interior is just as conical as the outside, but far more organic in design. The walls have designs like the spiraling of bisected nautilus shells and the crinkled shape of clam shells. What would be spikes on a normal shell flow up and connect to other bits of the wall to give the entire thing a fluid, inteconnected look. The floor is like a pier, wooden planks but left with a good two inches of space between them so that the water below is easily visible. The entire place smells of water and the sea. The light shines up from below, through the water and these gaps, and paints the whole room in flowing, flickering blue light.

As soon as you walk in you are immediately surrounded by a half dozen people in dark bluish robes. They have some sort of symbol embroidered in gold on the robe, but its so complex and meaningless that you can't even form  a coherent idea of how to describe it.

"May we help you with something?" The one directly in front of you says. He's a good foot taller than you, but not threatening in his behavior.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Radio: Rufus, for that is his name, tells you he'd rather not talk about specifics, but warns you that the deep places of the Earth are cruel and hungry. Many men have entered and never returned.

Pancaek: Behiar (She pronounces it "Bear" but tells you its spelled funny before spelling it aloud to you) tells you that she mostly keeps trade records, but occasionally does some work in drafting and map making. Just a "pen for hire" as she puts it. She seems pleased by your approval of her life style.

Together: You secure the rope around the nearest large stalagmite and lower it ( the rope, not the stalagmite) down the crevice. Eclair ties a lantern to his belt and squeezes himself into the crack. The squeeze goes straight down for a good 30 feet before it starts angling and swerving about and Eclair finds himself climbing down at a 60 degree angle. He makes it out of the squeeze after 20 minutes or so of careful scrambling; the hole ends abruptly and opens out into another cave through the ceiling. He climbs down just far enough to loop his leg through the rope and shine the lantern around. The dark here is complete and though he can see the ground is solid, 10 feet further down, he cannot see the walls of the chamber on any side. He can hear rushing water, but it is muffled and distant, and the cave smells of nothing but damp earth.

He climbs down and puts his feet on solid earth before giving the rope a few tugs to signal his safe landing. The rope is yanked back up and for a long time he has to wait in darkness, biding his time as the supplies are lowered down. It takes twice as long for the backpacks to reach him; no doubt they got caught up several times in the less vertical sections. The rest of the team follows after, and soon they are standing together as a little pool of lamplight in a sea of darkness. Darwin scratches a symbol into several stalagmites around himself, to mark the way back.

"I think this is a plain..." Rufus says, looking at the map. "Reconnects with the river up head, down a breakdown slope. " He squints at the map and then tucks it back into his bag.

Spoiler: Fisticuffs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: fist (click to show/hide)

Both of you eat the food provided with gusto. Only after the first few bites do you realize how truly hungry you were. The food is different from what you've had before; there are small, circular things that have been fried and are filled with some sort of bean paste, strips of something red and slightly sweet, and a bowl of amazingly transparent noodles that taste of only a very mild starchy flavor on their own, but are covered in thick black sauce that has a savory taste. Its all new and different but none of it is bad.  As you eat, Bang asks about the bird and Aurum asks about magic and the gods that control it.

The monks seem confused by Aurum's question, as though he had spoken gibberish. After a few moments they state, quite bluntly, that magic is the domain of all gods, but certain gods govern certain magic. As to Bang's question, they say that all they know is that the bird is said to be extremely fast, sharp and cruel, a flying knife with ill intent. They relate myths of thieves who climb to the mountain top in search of plunder from the  old temple, only to be flayed alive and sent screaming down the mountain without their skins. Aurum asks about a tour of the temple and the monks agree to show the public areas of the temple, which they were planning on doing anyway.  They explain that this temple is dedicated to the wandering goddess and her blessing and hospitality are extended to any wayward soul who finds themselves on the temple's doorstep.  This anteroom is just part of the public section, as it turns out. There's a bathing room with a heated pool, surrounded by large cushions, and a sleeping room, as well as dining area and outdoor garden. They tell you that you are free to stay for up to a week without cost.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:22 am »

Wait for the caravan to arrive, I have everything necessary for what I do.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 03, 2017, 12:37:30 pm »

Ask the team to be very quiet for a moment and cover the light of the lamp. Then try to use my good senses (mostly smell and sound probably, and lying on the ground to sense vibrations) to see if there's anything 'off' nearby, such as strange distant noises or heavy breathing or anything like that.

If nothing immediately alarming comes up, continue forward to our destination. Help Rufus with map reading as needed, let Ecalir lead the way.

Also, keep making markings, consider it a standing order if possible.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:46:51 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 03, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »

"I'm curious about what's at the bottom of the lake and was told that the best place to look for information would be here."

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »

Yeah, I kinda agree with Derm--this game got to feeling like more of a chore than a game.  After considering it a bit more, I think I realized why Perplexicon was different in that way.  Simply put, it had immediate results.

In Perplexicon, pretty much everyone always had several actions available to them which would always get results.  Travel was basically instant in known areas (aside from random encounters), so if you wanted to go explore some new area you pretty much always could.  If you were interrupted by an encounter en-route, well, you still have something immediate to do: kill that thing, and maybe level up from it.  The other option was to test magic, which was always an option, for everyone.

I think Cabal lost the heart of Perplexicon by making everything so slow and deliberate.  I can't just go and do something; I have to figure out how to set that something up, and probably spend several turns doing it.  I can't just go and fight other players; they're hidden at some unknown location elsewhere in the world (inb4 FIST started in the same place).  I can't even experiment with the magic system, because magic's easily wasted, and not particularly mysterious anyway.  Cabal doesn't really have anything in common with Perplexicon gameplay-wise, it's just a vaguely similar setting.

...All that being said, I'll see about posting tonight.  Maybe with a new character, since my current one is built to rely on a team.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 03, 2017, 01:37:16 pm »

To each their own I suppose. I enjoy taking the time to properly lay the foundation for action, as I suppose can be seen in the way that I post and play.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #442 on: July 03, 2017, 06:58:44 pm »

Yeah, I kinda agree with Derm--this game got to feeling like more of a chore than a game.  After considering it a bit more, I think I realized why Perplexicon was different in that way.  Simply put, it had immediate results.

In Perplexicon, pretty much everyone always had several actions available to them which would always get results.  Travel was basically instant in known areas (aside from random encounters), so if you wanted to go explore some new area you pretty much always could.  If you were interrupted by an encounter en-route, well, you still have something immediate to do: kill that thing, and maybe level up from it.  The other option was to test magic, which was always an option, for everyone.

I think Cabal lost the heart of Perplexicon by making everything so slow and deliberate.  I can't just go and do something; I have to figure out how to set that something up, and probably spend several turns doing it.  I can't just go and fight other players; they're hidden at some unknown location elsewhere in the world (inb4 FIST started in the same place).  I can't even experiment with the magic system, because magic's easily wasted, and not particularly mysterious anyway.  Cabal doesn't really have anything in common with Perplexicon gameplay-wise, it's just a vaguely similar setting.

...All that being said, I'll see about posting tonight.  Maybe with a new character, since my current one is built to rely on a team.
Welp sy, this is the reality of mad max with wizards. You can't have mad max without scarcity, and scarcity means more deliberate actions. Also, I can't ever really recreate the mystery of perplexicon with another perplexicon esque system unless I change it drastically, like Unnatural Selection. The point of the magic system was never really mystery anyways.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:24 pm »

There's still the mystery of exploring the world.

That said, it might have been a good idea to start all characters with, say, five MP, so everyone could do one spell.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:12:25 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:18 pm »

The equivalent to mana in madmax would be gasoline, and those movies involve an awful lot of people driving around and foolishly wasting a supposedly scarce resource.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:57 pm »

Wait patiently for Darwin to do his thing. If he gives the go-ahead, lead the way forward. With gusto!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »

Assess how easy it would be to rob the speciality smith's shop. Is is locked at night? Guarded? How many potential entrances are there? Metal bolts or wooden ones on the doors?

Is it near a crowded and busy street? Residential district or shops? What's the building like?

Also, could I start a fire with my lantern?

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:01 am »

Wake up in the tavern of Petunise. Look around town for any points of interest.

What is my material?

Spoiler: V (click to show/hide)
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:36 pm »

Welp sy, this is the reality of mad max with wizards. You can't have mad max without scarcity, and scarcity means more deliberate actions. Also, I can't ever really recreate the mystery of perplexicon with another perplexicon esque system unless I change it drastically, like Unnatural Selection. The point of the magic system was never really mystery anyways.

This might be the best example of  'Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it' that I've ever seen unfold live.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:54 pm »

This might be the best example of  'Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it' that I've ever seen unfold live.
>.> I play some competitive online multiplayer games.
I have occasionally taunted/begged/dared/etc for the entire enemy team to try to take me down.
Sometimes they decide to do exactly that in response.
such events almost never end well for me. (though I do admit the rare time when they DO end well for me it's crazy-awesome)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 203