Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359730 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2017, 05:51:51 am »

((Honestly, I don't really agree with the whole scarcity statment much.  As MMWW was originally pitched, magic was somewhat scarce, but much much easier to get than it is in this game.  Blood Skimmers could cast fireballs from rat souls, and Starved Magi could do the same from digested bread.  Either of those mana sources shouldn't take more than a turn or two to collect, whereas even the easy mana classes in this game take much longer than that.

Mystery also isn't a necessity, but this game doesn't even have much of the required creativity that Perplexicon did.  In Perplexicon, "Skizicks" got you acid, and always the same acid.  Here, "Chemical" can get you water, or acid, or alcohol, or any number of things, and in a variety of ways--and that's not even delving into possible metaphysical uses of "Chemical", like scrying for particular chemicals.  The very narrow meaning of each word in Perplexicon meant you still needed to experiment, even if you knew what the words did in isolation, to figure out effective combos.  Here... it's just stats, and maybe a check for whether you know a word usable with a stat.  It's entirely different gameplay-wise.

Anyway, turn. No, editting in more stuff because I can't shut up.  Scarcity was never something I particularly cared about for MMWW anyway; I liked the game idea because I liked the city setting (there's lots of mooks to cast on), I liked the team-oriented PvP structure, and I liked the territory control aspect.  "Mad Max" doesn't make me think about people carefully rationing their resources and being super cautious, it makes me think about crazy gangs running rampant and fighting with each other over the bullets and gasoline that fuel their constant warfare.  Cabal has a very rational setting; Mad Max does not.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2017, 12:43:12 pm »

Offer a prayer of thanks to the goddess of wanderers. Ask the monks if they know where I could find an empty hourglass or child's drawing. Also ask if there is a god or goddess of sculptors or alchemists.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #452 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:30 am »

((Honestly, I don't really agree with the whole scarcity statment much.  As MMWW was originally pitched, magic was somewhat scarce, but much much easier to get than it is in this game.  Blood Skimmers could cast fireballs from rat souls, and Starved Magi could do the same from digested bread.  Either of those mana sources shouldn't take more than a turn or two to collect, whereas even the easy mana classes in this game take much longer than that.

Mystery also isn't a necessity, but this game doesn't even have much of the required creativity that Perplexicon did.  In Perplexicon, "Skizicks" got you acid, and always the same acid.  Here, "Chemical" can get you water, or acid, or alcohol, or any number of things, and in a variety of ways--and that's not even delving into possible metaphysical uses of "Chemical", like scrying for particular chemicals.  The very narrow meaning of each word in Perplexicon meant you still needed to experiment, even if you knew what the words did in isolation, to figure out effective combos.  Here... it's just stats, and maybe a check for whether you know a word usable with a stat.  It's entirely different gameplay-wise.

Anyway, turn. No, editting in more stuff because I can't shut up.  Scarcity was never something I particularly cared about for MMWW anyway; I liked the game idea because I liked the city setting (there's lots of mooks to cast on), I liked the team-oriented PvP structure, and I liked the territory control aspect.  "Mad Max" doesn't make me think about people carefully rationing their resources and being super cautious, it makes me think about crazy gangs running rampant and fighting with each other over the bullets and gasoline that fuel their constant warfare.  Cabal has a very rational setting; Mad Max does not.))

Sigh.

Ok.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2017, 10:46:44 am »

:(

I do like Cabal, and I don't think it's a bad game.  Plenty of people are legitimately enjoying it, and I certainly don't intend to quit.  It just isn't MMWW--which honestly very well might be an impossible game, since it's a more than four year old idea that's been more forgotten than not by everyone who knows of it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2017, 11:09:08 am »

Eh, wizards with a MM flavour is prefectly doable. You could run it, syv.

Just needs:

-Vehicles chases with crazy wizard vehicles - beasts, summoning, steampunk alchemy, that sort of thing
-"Scarcity" i.e. loot that is valuable to everyone except the crazy PCs. Might as well have oil be mana - limited, explosive and necessary to do crazy shit.
-Lots of killable mooks - maybe some AOE spells, loadsa undead, all that jazz
-magic guns I guess?
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2017, 11:14:49 am »

Eh, wizards with a MM flavour is prefectly doable. You could run it, syv.

That would require syv to not run away screaming whenever he gets a good idea.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2017, 11:58:35 am »

Gotta do things a little faster this time. Less description as such.

Wait for the caravan to arrive, I have everything necessary for what I do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok, they show up. They tell you that you can tag along if you will work with them or pay your way (food and such). They say they pass through several towns on their way back to, ultimately, alkahest. Paying your way would probably not be terribly expensive for someone like you, but working would be free. Albeit you're unsure of the work a caravan would need to be done and it might be hard and unpleasant.

Ask the team to be very quiet for a moment and cover the light of the lamp. Then try to use my good senses (mostly smell and sound probably, and lying on the ground to sense vibrations) to see if there's anything 'off' nearby, such as strange distant noises or heavy breathing or anything like that.

If nothing immediately alarming comes up, continue forward to our destination. Help Rufus with map reading as needed, let Ecalir lead the way.

Also, keep making markings, consider it a standing order if possible.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You sit around in quiet and darkness for several minutes, listening, smelling and feeling. There's a flow of air down here, through the crack above and from behind you, away from the direction Rufus pointed out as the way to go. You smell water, salt, sweat, leather, faint mildew and very faint metallic or stone smells, like dirt but a bit different. The only sound you hear is distant rushing of water and the people around you.

You make marks along the way.

Wait patiently for Darwin to do his thing. If he gives the go-ahead, lead the way forward. With gusto!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You lead the way forward. At the end of this plain of rock is a slope. The slope appears to be the remnants of a larger cave that has partially collapsed and formed a huge pile of stony debris. The slope is about 45, maybe 50 degrees in the section that you can see via lamplight, and covered in massive ramshackle boulders and shattered stone. Imagine the stone slabs that make up stonehenge. Imagine dropping 10 thousand of them on a hill from 100 feet up. Thats what this looks like. The ceiling is not visible, nor the bottom of the pile, but the sound of rushing water here is far louder; the river might be down at the bottom.

You stop at the edge of the rocks and pick up a good fist sized stone. You toss it off into the dark and listen as it bounces down, creating several small rockslides as it does.

"Stuff ain't too stable. Probably fine for climbing one at a time, but if we go in a line someone is gonna bring down a big pile of rocks on the people below them. Either we go down one at a time or we go down parallel."

Assess how easy it would be to rob the speciality smith's shop. Is is locked at night? Guarded? How many potential entrances are there? Metal bolts or wooden ones on the doors?

Is it near a crowded and busy street? Residential district or shops? What's the building like?

Also, could I start a fire with my lantern?

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
Hmm. Here's what you find out via a day or two of casing the place and thinking about it.

1. The smith knows you and what you were looking for. If you break in and steal just that one thing, he's gonna put 2 and 2 together and Four'k you. You'd need to either steal lots of stuff to hide your true target or replace it with a look alike so that he won't notice till you're far away. Of course, the second option means you probably couldn't return to town, least not looking like you do now.

2. The doors, both the front and the back one that leads into the forge, are locked at night, but the place isn't guarded as far as you can see, aside from the fact that the smith lives on the second floor. The locks are solid metal rods that he sets into brackets, so that they cross between the door and the frame, preventing you from pushing the door open.

3.The place itself is pretty busy during the day but it all tapers off to almost nothing at night when the stores close. Beyond the merchants living in their stores, the place is deserted.

4. You could start a fire with your lantern.

"I'm curious about what's at the bottom of the lake and was told that the best place to look for information would be here."

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
"Oh my!" The man says, his spirits visibly lifting to an almost unsettling degree, "Yes, we at the church know all about the mysteries of the depths and the divinity of the deep places."

He talks at length about how the deep dwelling gods send the fishmen as apostles and how the town has a covenant with the gods, granting them fresh water, food, and fortune. He then asks about what you specifically desire to know and if you are willing to go "below" to see it.

Wake up in the tavern of Petunise. Look around town for any points of interest.

What is my material?

Spoiler: V (click to show/hide)
Your material is "insect."

Pentunise is a river town; they trade, they fish, they build boats that eventually make it out to the slime coast. In terms of points of interest, that depends on what you find interesting. There's a market, a large dock, fishery, the shipyards, the lumber mill, the expanse of log cabin style homes against the hills, the gold panners, and a prototype waterwheel generating "lighting".

Offer a prayer of thanks to the goddess of wanderers. Ask the monks if they know where I could find an empty hourglass or child's drawing. Also ask if there is a god or goddess of sculptors or alchemists.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)

They tell you that a child's drawing might be as easy as asking a child for one. But a hourglass would most likely be created by a glass blower, of which there are a few in the market.  They talk among themselves about the religious question before deciding that you want  either  Agamem, God of Artists, or Sheba goddess of medicine.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »

Quick question: is the smith's place made of wood? Or a sizable portion of it wooden?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »

Quick question: is the smith's place made of wood? Or a sizable portion of it wooden?
Its about 30% stone, mostly on the ground floor, the rest is wood.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »

Pull out my ghost charm and look for any spirits in the area.

Well Oxford, let's see if there's anyone with a job around here, shall we?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2017, 04:44:46 pm »

Eh, wizards with a MM flavour is perfectly doable. You could run it, syv.

How ironic, he has. When he was planning to run a perplexicon-like we did test games on IRC, one of which was mad max themed. And it was excellent.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »

How ironic, he has. When he was planning to run a perplexicon-like we did test games on IRC, one of which was mad max themed. And it was excellent.
Oh? please expand.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2017, 03:25:43 am »

Wait until I have the proceeds from the rat king. If I can, take a small job in Alkahest just to pay for my food and lodgings, but don't give out much information about myself. Could I buy or catch a live snake in Alkahest? If so, do it. Use remaining money (though not the proceeds from the rat king) to buy something to enhance a fire, like oil.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:40 am »

Oh? please expand.

Here's the logs for that session from lambdabot.

https://abbradar.net/erlogs/2016-13-10.txt

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:44 pm »

You stop at the edge of the rocks and pick up a good fist sized stone. You toss it off into the dark and listen as it bounces down, creating several small rockslides as it does.

"Stuff ain't too stable. Probably fine for climbing one at a time, but if we go in a line someone is gonna bring down a big pile of rocks on the people below them. Either we go down one at a time or we go down parallel."

How about we do the same thing we did last time: one at a time, Ecalir first with the lantern, tie a rope (if there's a cave wall or stable large boulder nearby) and use it to make going down easier and to have something to hold on to once rocks go a-sliding.

((Pan, if you'd prefer another method of going down just say so and I can change my action.))

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 203