Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75342 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »

I really don't care if people pay money to gain some benefit in single player

Congratulations! And you are the informed minority.
why would you care about someone else's single player game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2017, 08:22:13 pm »

I really don't care if people pay money to gain some benefit in single player

Congratulations! And you are the informed minority.
why would you care about someone else's single player game?

Well there are a few reasons for this... But lets just sum it up as: It has a tangible affect on the game, the game's meta, AND is a general leech on society (I don't want people HURT just for playing a single player game)

I wouldn't care one BIT if that player cheated or modded the game to gain some benefit in a single player game. Yet that isn't the case.

Or rather you are sort of Strawmanning the argument. You KNOW why people are complaining but you are presenting it as more an attack on "Choices"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:27:52 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:48 pm »

Singleplayer games do not have a meta, in the mp sense. Theres no continually-updated balance to deal with, at best there are OP strats.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2017, 09:18:30 pm »

Singleplayer games do not have a meta, in the mp sense. At best there are OP strats.

Most single player games have a Meta regardless if they include multiplayer or not.

Multiplayer is just a strong force that ENFORCES the Meta because the ability to play on a basic level is in some ways "policed" by the other players OR the competition kicks people who cannot compete out. Single player has soft enforcement where most of what occurs is do to dominant strategies and other effects, FEW single player games lock the player out for not engaging in the Meta.

THAT is why Meta is usually spoken about more in depth and at length in multiplayer games. While single player games usually get broad strokes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:22:25 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:37 pm »

I enjoyed the part of our discussion where you accused me of strawmanning for asking you what the basis of your opinion is. How does that work?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:46 pm »

I enjoyed the part of our discussion where you accused me of strawmanning for asking you what the basis of your opinion is. How does that work?

Well to admit it probably is more "Poisoning the well" mixed with "Red Herring".

But it is because your question isn't directed at any of the arguments being said and is more... Accusatory. Or at least it comes off that way.

So the arguments are that the Microtransactions transform the game and make it less desirable, among other opinions.

Your question is: "Why do you care what people do in a single player game?" AND you are saying that is "The basis of my opinion"

But my answer to your question is: I don't care what people do in their own games as long as they aren't hurting themselves or others. Yet that just obfuscates the issue and makes it seem like the crux is an argument about "choice".

THEN THEN AGAIN! You might not have been in the continuous conversation and could have only been responding to me responding that "Yeah, most people care about microtransactions." and you took it as "I care that people buy things I don't want to buy!"

THEN THEN THEN AGAIN! this isn't a Single Player game anymore. It is a Pay to Win multiplayer full priced game! Which is weird because it wasn't Pay to Win until that announcement.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:41:17 pm by Neonivek »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »

It'd only be a P2W multiplayer game if the game focused on the multiplayer as its core gameplay.

But it doesn't.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 12, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »

It'd only be a P2W multiplayer game if the game focused on the multiplayer as its core gameplay.

But it doesn't.

It is kind of an all or nothing thing. Even if it included a side mode that is Pay to Win... It would make the GAME... Pay to Win.

At least... how I define it.

Or rather the GAME is pay to win... the Single player Portion isn't Pay to Win.

Especially since both modes are intertwined (You can grind Single Player FOR the Multiplayer items)

But I'll hand it to you that it is dependent on your definition.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:44:45 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:42 pm »

There is no distinction between SP and MP "items".....because there is no fucking multiplayer. Period. Full stop.

There are just "items" you use in your normal game that you take with you when you attack fortresses other people set up. And that is it.

If you're going to keep being outraged, at least be factually correct.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 12, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »

Let us use a better term: Competitive Single Player.

Where you face off against other players by sieging their fortresses in order to get more powerful, get better loot, and climb to the top of the leader boards.

But you don't actually SEE them. And that is a:

"a video game designed for or involving several players"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:05:00 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »

Wrong, again. There is no tie between the SP and an online leaderboard. It has zero impact on your SP game other than you losing orcs trying to earn loot boxes, and your SP being easier due to loot and captains you can get....playing the SP game.

You are literally talking down to everyone over your high-falutin sense of injustice at a SP game charging additional money for loot and captains no one even fucking needs and can get without paying anything extra.

Seriously it's like Warframe, which is an actual multiplayer game. No one gives a shit you can buy decked out gear with platinum because no one is honestly in competition with each other even though they have online leaderboards during events for clans to give a shit about, and clans can pointlessly waste their time attacking each other's solar rails. The vast majority of their playerbase doesn't care and doesn't call it P2W because it's not competitive in their mind, despite the presence of actual MP gameplay and even PvP. It's effectively a SP game with MP functionality, and a cash shop for pain removal.

If your gripe is that publishers trying to foist microtransactions on people is greedy and disheartening, no one is going to disagree with that. But no one's objections are going to change anything, and the presence of this isn't going to sink SoW and probably won't dent preorders enough for anyone at WB to notice. Be principled if you want, no one honestly cares. What we do care about though is the holier than thou attitude.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:08:54 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #416 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »

So your concern is that someone else might pay to get better items in their single player game and thus beat you in this leader board? I'm really trying to understand what exactly you're worried about here neonivek

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:52 pm »

So your concern is that someone else might pay to get better items in their single player game and thus beat you in this leader board? I'm really trying to understand what exactly you're worried about here.

No I am just floored that it is now literally pay to win now. It is the one thing I didn't think would happen.

There is no tie between the SP and an online leaderboard.

I dunno that seems like a really inefficient way of doing it. Be better to have it be an extra mode where you can port orcs to and from SP to MP. Especially when Loot Chests are concerned.

That way you don't have to split loot between two modes but instead share it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:15:01 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:44 pm »

In b4 Monolith announces a mode where you get to play Orcs instead of Talion in honest to god multiplayer.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 12, 2017, 10:11:27 pm »

Next game they remove tallion entirely as superfluous, and end up with an orky MMO. :P
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53