Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75397 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2017, 12:13:24 pm »

Yeah the detection radius and reaction time of orks was laughable in SoM. I wonder if that's tethered to your difficulty level in SoW.

To be fair though, it would have been damn near impossible to go anywhere in SoM without killing an orc if they'd had stealth awareness that was up to par. It was the kind of stealth designed to make players feel clever and edgy, not actually challenge them.

Maybe. I know it's not a stealth game, but they could at least do with a somewhat better awareness radius and a longer list of alerts. Guards in Dishonored would notice things like a missing man, open security door, or deactivated machine, even if they didn't find a body or see you messing with stuff. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make the existing groups of orcs notice that their 3 man squad now has 2 men in it, or that they guy watching the northern approach to the building they're camped in is gone, and react appropriately. If they had that, and they telegraphed their strikes a little less (they're already surprisingly good about attacking you all at once instead of one at a time) I'd be pretty happy with it.

There's a basic form of that in SoM. If Orcs see a dead body they'll alert and bring other orcs running.

But since they're orcs they give about 15 seconds of fucks before saying something like "I didn't like him anyways" or "He probably deserved it!" and go back to drinking grog.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2017, 04:35:14 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6hc3Wv0Nw

Shorter gameplay stream demoing an already month old build. (They're saving the freshest build for E3.)

What jumps out at me immediately is they've cleaned up the abilities screen. The unlocks are no longer displayed clearly. Some are there but they're essentially invisible until you move over them with the selector. So it's not clear what abilities have additional options and which don't, or if they've just hidden the unfinished ones. Hopefully most of it is still there. But with the delay being announced, it's not impossible that some stuff that was planned for the final build has now had the axe taken to it.

And it's confirmed the combo counter, while no longer governing when you can do executions, does determine overall damage and "range" of your attacks the higher it goes.

Combat brands and stuff now run off of might too. Oof. That certainly cuts down on your ability to just heal in combat when you're in trouble.

Orcs can kill you and break your weapon, and you have to like...hunt them down and take revenge, then you get a better version of that weapon back? Not super clear but sounds neat.

Most of the ability unlocks seem to follow the pattern: either they're passive enhancements to abilities that don't really require to you to do anything, or they're active enhancements that require timing and flawless play to get to work. Not a bad little schema, IMO, compared to SoM where you felt like most of the upgrades made the game way too easy on you.

And damn do they do a lot of standing around waiting for enemies to attack. The only thing that does damage to them in this demo when they're trying to get hurt are the fucking archers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:15:00 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »

Combat brands and stuff now run off of might too. Oof. That certainly cuts down on your ability to just heal in combat when you're in trouble

That is how it worked in the first game. You either got an execution or a combat brand.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2017, 04:54:56 pm »

Combat brands and stuff now run off of might too. Oof. That certainly cuts down on your ability to just heal in combat when you're in trouble

That is how it worked in the first game. You either got an execution or a combat brand.

Yeah but it was easier to build on the combo counter than it is to build might in this game. I could have an execution or a combat drain ready ready in hitting a couple guys a couple times. Now you, even with the right traits to build might faster, it's a lot slower than just laying in to a few guys so you can squeak off a life-saving combat brand.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2017, 07:15:53 pm »

Yeah but it was easier to build on the combo counter than it is to build might in this game. I could have an execution or a combat drain ready ready in hitting a couple guys a couple times. Now you, even with the right traits to build might faster, it's a lot slower than just laying in to a few guys so you can squeak off a life-saving combat brand.

It was because of the person's selection of upgrades, as well as the fact that the might bar has a normal and double charge (the double charge is for even more powerful finishers), the person skimped out on doing single finishers quite a bit.

It can build really quick had it been set up for it. That and if the person stopped getting hit...

Though yeah given that the final upgrades essentially made it so you got TWO finishers every Two-Three hits. Yeah you don't have that level of execution power. I'd say you don't got that much branding power, but... there are... ways.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:39:04 pm by Neonivek »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2017, 09:04:08 pm »

Neonivek sees this:
OHHHHH!!! I see

People are projecting hype onto the videos. So this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like this to you:

No wonder you guys are taking my criticism so personally.

I see this:
I don't like it so no one else can either.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »

I don't like it so no one else can either.

Given that you had to completely bastardize what I said in order to get this version...

You need to stop projecting your hype of the game onto me. I know your excited for the game and are willing to overlook things here and there, but those things still exist and it isn't like I haven't been very clear that I only say them on a "the game is unfinished" basis.

I am not even trying to make you see the flaws, I don't even care if you notice the very odd blood splattering effect and pallid complexion. It is just REALLY odd that a off negative comment has apparently rabble roused people. Dude, its a Beta! Can you please wait until we got a polished version before combing what I say for dissenting opinions? Just save the hate... I am sure I'll probably have something when the game comes out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:31:53 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2017, 11:01:22 pm »

It is just REALLY odd that a off negative comment has apparently rabble roused people.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:37:07 pm by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »

I can't believe this conversation has happened, AGAIN. You say it's "odd" like you're implying you're being ganged up on, or there's something wrong with us

Then let me rectify that. There is something wrong with you people. No implication or hints.

I mean for example:

"The entire game and everything in it is horrible"

Does not exist and is not implied or suggested. It cannot be confused for anything I said unless the person reading it applies additional non-existent meaning.

So if you are wondering why my stance is that I think this entire thing is odd. Look no further than people saying things completely fallacious, yet I am sure they believe them wholeheartedly.

That is why I am incredulous right now.

Which I'd honestly would drop, if you guys weren't ghosts!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:49:14 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2017, 11:49:32 pm »

How are we supposed to interpret your blanket statement? You didn't specify until you were asked and it confirms your original statement. I've honestly probably watched the video more than you have and I can't agree that everything is horrible. Some things are rough, some things don't come through a video at 720p. There's such a thing as a measured response.

It's like part of me agrees with some of your sentiments but not how you choose to present them. More words, fewer blanket statements. I read forums, not minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2017, 11:53:35 pm »

How are we supposed to interpret your blanket statement?

The last Gameplay video... looked horrible in everyway.

So there you go. I don't see where you get "The entire game", forget the other aspects that make this more obvious.

Forget everything else, forget everything I said during that quote, after that quote. Heck forget the context that would contain the interpretations.

So forgive me if I think you are doing some "creative" interpretations.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:00:42 am by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2017, 12:08:44 am »

If it was anyone other than me who said it. Would you have taken the extra leap of logic to assume they meant they hate the entire game?

Depends on how many other threads I'd been in where they've been the dissenter. :P

But lets forget responses... Lets focus on what I said. IN FACT let us forget  my entire quote. How about we stick with one line?

Because I've honestly probably watched it more than you have, and that informs my reaction. Everything is not horrible. I wrote a giant wall of text I doubt anyone read but I point out where things looked good, and looked bad. "Everything" is wrong and honestly, a lazy read. If you're that willing to just blanket call it all shit.....can you not see how a leap of logic becomes a small step of logic, especially given all the history where you've been a dissenter? If everything in it is horrible now, what of the first gameplay video? How can that be worse than horrible?

I guess I still have to give it to you. If I'm going to be talking about literally, then no, by the literal definition you don't hate the entire game. Then again how can anyone tell when you dig in harder with stuff like this:

OHHHHH!!! I see

People are projecting hype onto the videos. So this:

Looks like this to you:

No wonder you guys are taking my criticism so personally.

It's the whole "I can give exaggerated criticism but how dare you react to it" thing that makes it frustrating talking to you sometimes. Because yes, "everything is horrible" is a bald face, lazy exaggeration.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2017, 12:16:37 am »

You know what forget it. Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:32:22 am by Neonivek »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2017, 10:22:17 am »

In my headcanon the reason why the Orcs have a hard time detecting you is because you are as much wraith as man, and when Talion stealths he more or less becomes a ghostly shadow stalking Mordor.

;D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2017, 11:46:03 am »

He'll start insisting that Mordor is literally "R'llll'yay'eh" next
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53