Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75390 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2017, 01:40:40 pm »

He'll start insisting that Mordor is literally "R'llll'yay'eh" next

Now you're just being insulting.

neo rarely frames his initial arguments well, and that leads to people misinterpreting his intent, and I don't blame anyone for that, but when you guys start mouthing off like this you're just taking cheap shots so you can feel better about yourselves.  Nenjin already covered the problem, there is absolutely no reason to keep piling on beyond sheer mean-spiritedness.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2017, 02:00:11 pm »

Now we just need someone to unnecessarily report the thread and waste Toady's time so we can come full circle.
In my headcanon the reason why the Orcs have a hard time detecting you is because you are as much wraith as man, and when Talion stealths he more or less becomes a ghostly shadow stalking Mordor.
This makes sense to me. I mean you can all but vanish to the orcs just by climbing one of the silver towers and going wraith. Later you can literally do so with the stealth super power. Having some kind of low level 'enshadowment' would be in keeping with the general theme.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »

For me I just assume it is noise and that orcs don't care all that much.

"Ohh look a human skulking about... Ehh too much to bother"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2017, 04:44:27 pm »

I'd buy that if they weren't so eager to run off after escaping slaves. That seems to take priority over everything except seeing Talion as they will stop whatever they're doing and take off running at the merest hint of a slave getting away. Although it would be fun to have some randomly fat/lazy orcs who just don't give a fuck.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »

I'd buy that if they weren't so eager to run off after escaping slaves. That seems to take priority over everything except seeing Talion as they will stop whatever they're doing and take off running at the merest hint of a slave getting away. Although it would be fun to have some randomly fat/lazy orcs who just don't give a fuck.

Given they don't recapture escaping slaves but instead kill them. I assume they just like killing escaping slaves and are looking for any excuse to kill them.

If they only get a slight look at someone running, they probably aren't gonna be able to track them down.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

My feeling about SoM is that you were invading during a lazy summer for the orcs. They're sittin around, feastin, groggin', beating up on slaves and doing no work themselves because of all the manual labor. They're not paying attention, there's no great war to organize them, they're just standing around waiting for Sauron to come back and they've been waiting a while.

So yeah, about the most exciting things that happen (talking as if Talion hadn't yet been there) would be escaping slaves, ambushes, and animal attacks.

Where as Shadow of War, the war has actually started now and orcs are much more focused.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »

Some new footage from E3, showing off the dialogue of orcs. I'm guessing that Bruz is going to be the Ratbag of the game (i.e. really characterized), so he has a lot to say.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2017, 12:36:09 am »

I think they said story characters like Ratbag were going to be generated too. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the text is interchangeable between them, anyways. That looked like the Pit Fighting and Fortress invasion tutorials, based on the amount of blah blah blah.

Like the new overworld map. Really detailed. Maybe it will be easier to tell what you're looking at on it, this time around.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:10 am »

The old map was pretty much just Plains, Caves, and Collectimobiles.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2017, 05:29:24 pm »

Here's about 50 minutes of gameplay from E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVumxgH5hUA

It's a lot of fort assaults which at this point I've seen a lot of, but they also show stuff outside in the open world part of it as well.

I still can't shake the feeling that a lot of stuff in SoW is lower rez than in SoM. Even on the twitch streams which are a direct capture it still seems like blurry. All the orcs in SoM, the details were crisp. Maybe it will look better directly in front of my eyeballs, and they imply there's level of detail that just doesn't come across in video. It's hard to take that on faith from the videos.

Also if you pay close attention there are still a lot of bugs. In the E3 build you can see guys in the fortress assault try to flank around the main gate and then get stuck running in to the walls endlessly. You can see gaps in the terrain system where they can't step over a tiny ledge (to be fair that was in SoM too though.) Unsightly seams where orc body parts come together. Every time I watch these videos I see another obvious, if not downright ugly, bug. I appreciate the sheer amount of gameplay they've shown this early but these are a lot of bugs for a AAA game to put on display so many times.

With how much bigger the game it's not unsurprising that not every detail is polished, or will get polished. But it is contributing to the feeling that this is a rougher game. SoM had a pretty narrow focus because there was really just the fights to pay attention to, and some scripted missions. So I feel like the polish pass on all the little corners of that smaller game was done. And maybe it still will be in SoW. But I suspect there will be some ugly bits that were missed come release day.

edit Gee a link might be helpful there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:45:24 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:25 am »

Just watching a 2 hour pre-E3 Q&A stream...

And some cool stuff is happening for gear.

So Legendary sets of gear are grouped around the tribes. There's the Legendary Dark Tribe set and the Legendary Feral Tribe set...that you get from killing legendary orcs of that tribe. There's also two other legendary sets like the Brightlord's set and I'm guessing the Dark Lord's set.

The gear sets come with mostly set stats, but there are a few stats on them that are randomly generated too. So you can get multiples of the same set that are somewhat different from each other if you want to hyper optimize. Reminds me of Diablo 3 loot.

But there's more. Visually the gear inherits some traits from the orc that dropped it. So if he was all done up in midnight black armor, or black and yellow, the legendary get you get will also get around that same color scheme. It implies it might inherit other parts of their look too, although that wasn't said.

And legendary gear can continue to be unlocked further at various threshold points of the game (lots of challenges seem tied to the level of orcs you need to do shit too, which naturally ties it to game progression), bringing it up to power in time with where you're at roughly in the story.

And then there's the whole bit about immortalizing the orc that dropped the item, once you've leveled it up, by displaying a quote from their repertoire on the item.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:16:50 am by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2017, 12:18:02 am »

There is a legendary set for each tribe, there is the Brightlord, and I believe there is the Gondorian/Elf set (Human and elf respectively)

And then there's the whole bit about immortalizing the orc that dropped the item, once you've leveled it up, by displaying a quote from their repertoire on the item.

You mistaken this. It is when you do the challenge it will do so, it will even show a visual of the Orc you obtained it from. The challenges unlock the full power of the item.

You can ALSO level items up, useful for the Sets and other legendary gear. Yet it isn't required to my knowledge for the extra fluff.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2017, 04:25:39 am »

Here's about 50 minutes of gameplay from E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVumxgH5hUA

It's a lot of fort assaults which at this point I've seen a lot of, but they also show stuff outside in the open world part of it as well.

I still can't shake the feeling that a lot of stuff in SoW is lower rez than in SoM. Even on the twitch streams which are a direct capture it still seems like blurry. All the orcs in SoM, the details were crisp. Maybe it will look better directly in front of my eyeballs, and they imply there's level of detail that just doesn't come across in video. It's hard to take that on faith from the videos.

Also if you pay close attention there are still a lot of bugs. In the E3 build you can see guys in the fortress assault try to flank around the main gate and then get stuck running in to the walls endlessly. You can see gaps in the terrain system where they can't step over a tiny ledge (to be fair that was in SoM too though.) Unsightly seams where orc body parts come together. Every time I watch these videos I see another obvious, if not downright ugly, bug. I appreciate the sheer amount of gameplay they've shown this early but these are a lot of bugs for a AAA game to put on display so many times.

With how much bigger the game it's not unsurprising that not every detail is polished, or will get polished. But it is contributing to the feeling that this is a rougher game. SoM had a pretty narrow focus because there was really just the fights to pay attention to, and some scripted missions. So I feel like the polish pass on all the little corners of that smaller game was done. And maybe it still will be in SoW. But I suspect there will be some ugly bits that were missed come release day.

edit Gee a link might be helpful there.
I wish I could hear everything Celebrimbor says before a fortress assault. I couldn't quite catch what the trolls were saying either. That's what the big ones are right? They seem kind of small actually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:07 am »

They're Olog-Hai. Related to Cave Trolls and other trolls but not quite full, free-ranged raised trolls.

Also Celebrimbro says stuff like "Forward!" and "No Mercy!" from what I've heard. But yeah it's difficult to hear it over the din.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2017, 09:29:57 am »

Celebritybro is honestly kind of a bloodthirsty cunt. Made me feel rather awkward playing through the Bright Lord DLC campaign (well, that and the awkward difficulty spike), to be honest...

Y'know, I played a fair amount of the Corsair: Man O' War game on Steam, and since there's a fairly limited number of names for pirate ship captains I ended up running into the same names multiple times.

Made me think just how neat it'd be with a piratical/naval setting like that with the nemesis system, where you get these tenacious captains who develop a long-lasting rivalry with you... Seems like it'd fit the system perfectly.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53