Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75402 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2017, 11:14:59 pm »

Neonivek being extremely overly critical?
nooooooo...

But generally I'm happy with delays. I highly doubt there are many instances of delays making a game worse. Sure, a delay can't save a game, but it nearly always leads to a better product than the one you would have gotten.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:02 pm »

Neonivek being extremely overly critical?
nooooooo...

Well as you know we were watching a complete and polished game without any problems whatsoever. :P

I think we can downgrade "Extremely overly critical" down to "Critical", just saying.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2017, 11:49:27 pm »

It's important to keep in mind that Neonivek's posts are filtering in from a parallel universe.  Not everything completely jives and things are sometimes lost in translation.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2017, 12:58:20 am »

It's important to keep in mind that Neonivek's posts are filtering in from a parallel universe.  Not everything completely jives and things are sometimes lost in translation.

What I hate about this post... is now I want to go find a video, TV show, or videogame... that is "Neonivek's universe"

The second thing I dislike is... Why do I deserve this after I said "Look man, this was a demonstration of a game in early development. I think it not looking right or functioning right isn't extreme criticism"

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2017, 08:12:13 am »

Well most of your posts tend to be like that so it tends towards that idea that all you do is criticize.

Though I do hope there's difficulty settings this time around, or at least ways of adding difficulty modifiers that make the game far more challenge.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:16 am »

I think we can downgrade "Extremely overly critical" down to "Critical", just saying.
Saying the video looked "horrible in everyway" strikes me as overly critical and not really constructive or useful in any way.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2017, 11:04:56 am »

I love you, Neonivek.
whenever I am looking at at game, wondering what is good and what is bad in the gameplay, how it compares to other games, I look for your posts.
They're usually very detailed, and you are very critical when it comes to "gameplay fun".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2017, 11:12:01 am »

Alright alright, we've had our moment(s).
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2017, 11:24:31 am »

Saying the video looked "horrible in everyway" strikes me as overly critical and not really constructive or useful in any way.

I mean I guess the developer can come in and read my post for advice on how to build the game. I mean they are clearly scoping out my posts and even asked me to personally work on the game.

But let me see
-The animations were off
-The Models were off
-The textures were off
-The Balance was off
-The Music/Sound was off
-Several of the siege bonuses didn't show significantly to the player (Spiders were barely noticeable)
-There are a few glitches including game breaking bugs.
-The sieges sort of amounted to several captains holding single points as everyone just sort of funneled in (not an intended feature)

I don't think I am exaggerating a bit even when I say "Horrible in everyway". Yet I don't understand the hostility, this is a early version of the game... Is it that surprising that a mere mortal could point out that it isn't a complete polished game?

Then again my entire post was just an off comment on how raw it was. Yet somehow I needed a full review complete with "How to improve the game" in order to meet this forum's standards. You guys are weird!

Well most of your posts tend to be like that so it tends towards that idea that all you do is criticize.

Though I do hope there's difficulty settings this time around, or at least ways of adding difficulty modifiers that make the game far more challenge.

There is Easy, Normal, and Hard.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:28:43 am by Neonivek »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2017, 11:35:59 am »

Agreed. It really was a pretty easy game outside of a few of the weapon challenges. Orcs should be better fighters than they were IMO, and they should definitely be more attentive. The characters in-game make a lot of how well they can see, especially in the dark, and how good their eyes (and nose) are, yet they rarely notice you even when you do stuff like shank the guy standing guard at the other side of the gate.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2017, 11:38:13 am »

Yeah the detection radius and reaction time of orks was laughable in SoM. I wonder if that's tethered to your difficulty level in SoW.

To be fair though, it would have been damn near impossible to go anywhere in SoM without killing an orc if they'd had stealth awareness that was up to par. It was the kind of stealth designed to make players feel clever and edgy, not actually challenge them.

I don't think I am exaggerating a bit even when I say "Horrible in everyway". Yet I don't understand the hostility, this is a early version of the game... Is it that surprising that a mere mortal could point out that it isn't a complete polished game?

Then again my entire post was just an off comment on how raw it was. Yet somehow I needed a full review complete with "How to improve the game" in order to meet this forum's standards. You guys are weird!

It's called hyperbole. Look it up. It tends to get people reacting with hostility.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:42:09 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2017, 11:55:15 am »

It's called hyperbole. Look it up. It tends to get people reacting with hostility.

You don't even know what you are mad about or the definition of hyperbole.

So yeah, I am going to chalk this one up to you people picking fights for no reason.

----

OHHHHH!!! I see

People are projecting hype onto the videos. So this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like this to you:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No wonder you guys are taking my criticism so personally.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:06:15 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »

Par for the course then.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »

Yeah the detection radius and reaction time of orks was laughable in SoM. I wonder if that's tethered to your difficulty level in SoW.

To be fair though, it would have been damn near impossible to go anywhere in SoM without killing an orc if they'd had stealth awareness that was up to par. It was the kind of stealth designed to make players feel clever and edgy, not actually challenge them.

Maybe. I know it's not a stealth game, but they could at least do with a somewhat better awareness radius and a longer list of alerts. Guards in Dishonored would notice things like a missing man, open security door, or deactivated machine, even if they didn't find a body or see you messing with stuff. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make the existing groups of orcs notice that their 3 man squad now has 2 men in it, or that they guy watching the northern approach to the building they're camped in is gone, and react appropriately. If they had that, and they telegraphed their strikes a little less (they're already surprisingly good about attacking you all at once instead of one at a time) I'd be pretty happy with it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2017, 12:11:56 pm »

I know it's not a stealth game

I'd say it is a stealth game. I mean it is a huge part of the game and 1/3rd of the game's content was devoted to it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 53