Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75415 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »

CoDBLOPS

Wait is calling it CoDBLOPS a thing? Because a friend and I have exclusively referred to the game by that moniker since day 1. We've never paid attention to the media surrounding it, or the attention it gets from content creators, so I legitimately didn't realize it was a thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2017, 02:01:41 am »

CoDBLOPS

Wait is calling it CoDBLOPS a thing? Because a friend and I have exclusively referred to the game by that moniker since day 1. We've never paid attention to the media surrounding it, or the attention it gets from content creators, so I legitimately didn't realize it was a thing.

It's made its way around for sure.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:15:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2017, 02:07:37 am »

cardblarps

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2017, 09:41:02 am »

CoDBLOPS

I think it was a Yahtzee Croshaw / Zero Punctuation thing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:20 am »

CoDBLOPS

I think it was a Yahtzee Croshaw / Zero Punctuation thing.
I think he refers to the Modern Military Shooter genre as Spunkgargleweewees.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:43 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6voZYCsi2bk <---- 5 mins of Fortress Assault gameplay.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:15 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6voZYCsi2bk <---- 5 mins of Fortress Assault gameplay.

Seeing a boat load of re-used animations, attacks, moves and mechanics.
Like im really glad theres new gameplay features with fortresses and expanded nemesis stuff... otherwise this would almost be a copy and paste.

Also they said fortresses that you capture can be retaken by the enemy or your lord controlling that fortress can defect right?
Any idea how defending a fortress works?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:49 am »

Like im really glad theres new gameplay features with fortresses and expanded nemesis stuff... otherwise this would almost be a copy and paste.

I feel ya. But in some ways that's the reality for big sequels to "iconic" games like SoM. The recycling, while sucky for gamers, make financial sense for them and may even be the thing that the sequel rests on. "Look, we already have all these assets, we just need to make new content." There's also an argument to be made for gameplay continuity, compared to a series like the Witcher which changed....everything, between each game.

If I notice one thing on this video that's different the original big trailer, it's that the graphics generally look nicer. Things look cleaner, less smudged. I can see a lot more personalized details on the Uruks now. That's all encouraging.

Also they said fortresses that you capture can be retaken by the enemy or your lord controlling that fortress can defect right?

I believe so yes?

Any idea how defending a fortress works?

No idea.

Also, Lel for "Enraged By Acrobatics." This is quite funny considering how SoM played.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:25:19 am by nenjin »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2017, 11:40:46 am »

Seeing a boat load of re-used animations, attacks, moves and mechanics.
"I'm really glad there's new things or else it wouldn't have anything new."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »

Id really like for more of a Gondor VS Orcs type thing.

Would of been cool if the game gave you the option of supporting either Gondor or Orcs and building up a force.
I'd much rather see Gondor units attacking Uruk encampments and fortresses than Orcs on Orcs

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »

Uruk vs. Uruk is what makes it interesting for me. I checked out of modern LotR before the third movie even dropped. So for me if it was just a bog standard "raise an army of white guys with British accents to kill the orcs" I'd probably not have played SoM even.

It's that perverse thing SoM does where it makes the orcs detestable creatures (who also have British accents) that you still end up caring about in some small way that makes it special. It humanizes them before swiftly reminding you why that's a bad idea, and/or guilt tripping you for killing them. That subverting of expectations is what carries the short comings of the Nemesis system. I'm not saying it wouldn't have worked with just regular ol' humans, but it'd lack the subversion/being the baddies element, which is what I think is crucial to the game's success.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2017, 06:03:32 pm »

Also helps that the Orcs don't have to be "White Bread Americans as pure as the driven snow" like the Gondorians need to be.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2017, 06:29:27 pm »

Also helps that the Orcs don't have to be "White Bread British as pure as the driven snow" like the Gondorians need to be.
FTFY
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:27 pm »

I agree. If this game was about controlling humans I wouldn't be as interested as I am now. The orc thing works. Also they're super charismatic... for... some... reason....

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »

Waaaaagggghhhh!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53