Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75425 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2017, 06:20:30 pm »

The one thing I didnt like about the last game was the map.
Felt all the same no matter where you were.

This new fortress thing might make a difference now.

Do you mean the map MAP or as in the ingame locations?

Because I will admit the ingame locations actually felt particularly memorable to me.

Though I consider the first area to be superior to the second.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2017, 07:06:20 pm »

It's Mordor. It's blasted hellscape from one end to the other, except for where they farm food for orcs and slaves, or happen to grow foot-long thorns.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2017, 08:25:27 pm »

I actually found the landmarks on both the maps to be fairly memorable. Mordor isn't very colorful, but the actual shape of the land makes for some nice landmarks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2017, 10:46:19 pm »

I'm with him. I constantly get lost when spawning at the towers because it's so hard to orient yourself. SoM has two looks and some orky forts and that's more or less it.

With them designing actually fortresses to assault though, hopefully they will not be rubber stamped copies of each other. (All the ones you've seen the general shape of from the map screen look pretty unique.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2017, 06:52:29 am »

I actually quite liked the scenery in SoM. There again, I preferred the first map to the second (which is a shame, considering how much more time you spend in the larger, second map). But then again, I also used to play Oblivion, so maybe I'm just happy it wasn't that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:38 pm »

As LOTR nerd I liked the landscape because it captured the bleak monotony that was described in the books.

In anything else I'd probably be mad about it. Also, I choose to believe it was intentional rather than lazy. :P
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34:35 pm »

There's a new trailer out called "Dominate the Open World." It has some interesting views of the battlegrounds and scenery.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »

Well that was a timely video.

One thing I'm fairly curious about.

In every video the screen has been just packed with guys. Easily 100+ models on the flyovers shots. Can the game actually hold up to that in reality? Can you really engage 100 + dudes if you run into to one of those crowds, or will some trickery be pulled?

I'm thinking essentially of L4D. I remember when it came out the amount of guys on screen was kind of mindboggling. But the illusion evaporated pretty much the minute you start killing zombies. They felt weightless like you were killing images or holograms rather than actually modeled physics objects, and whole crowds of zombies would go down under automatic weapons fire and just kind of...evaporate as they were falling. Sure you can have 100 guys on the screen and they might die to hit scan weapons and block your pathing....but it didn't actually feel like 100 guys. It was 100 weightless animations and 4 actual guys in the form of the special infected.

And I wonder if that's how SoW will work in order to keep performance reasonable, along with a shit load of LoD scaling. That your average orc gets cut down in one sword swing and vanishes in a couple seconds, or that guys outside a sphere around your character aren't actually streamed in to the game until you're close to them.

Mount and Blade is a game that I would say does #'s like this "honestly." And I'd put the #'s on display in SoW above even what you see in Bannerlord on the screen at one time. It looks glorious but I can't help but feel like it's for show some how.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:10 pm »

You just said basically how SoM already works, except the orks can take a few hits. Not everyone in a crowd attacks at once both because that would be too hard, and to save on performance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:56 pm »

Not really. Corpses in SoM pile up quite nicely, each guy can take quite a few hits and they interact with each other, knocking each other over etc. And SoW is on the order of 10x the amount of guys on screen at once, which really starts pushing credulity. It basically becomes Dynasty Warriors at that point.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2017, 03:21:46 am »

Do they really? I don't trust trailers and I didn't see much of that in the previous game.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:31 pm »

Kinda wish there were more humans involved, like you'd fight Gondor a bit.

I know thats going to be in.. But I think it's a bit of smoke and mirrors. Looks more like the tutorial and they'll be very little of Gondor units after.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:40 am »

@Fewah, something almost never happens in video games and is done well.

Playing a Gondor Soldier, lost in the endless war against Mordor.

40k, playing as a common Imperial Guardsman.

Even playing a Marine against tons of Aliens. Sure it's ben done a couple of times, but not well. (Fuck you, AvP campaign and Colonial Marines.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:59 am »

Think about it though.

Would you really want CoDBLOPS smeared all over your IG Misery simulator? Because that's likely the only way it'd get made.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »

IG misery simulator would be awesome in the same-ish vein as the stormtrooper battlefront game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53