Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75419 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2017, 03:52:34 pm »

Well, Sauron doesn't have the One, therefore he is but a shadow of his former self. You don't need to compete with his full, unbridled power, just the fraction he retains (which is still great).

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2017, 04:08:01 pm »

Well, Sauron doesn't have the One, therefore he is but a shadow of his former self. You don't need to compete with his full, unbridled power, just the fraction he retains (which is still great).

Well he did have the Ring in the events before the Trilogy and was defeated by a human.

Mind you the movie at least makes it seem like not only was it incredibly lucky and heroic... But that it required a supernaturally powerful sword that itself didn't survive the battle.

I don't know if the books went into as much detail or just told it in vague "He was defeated".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2017, 04:11:52 pm »

Isidor cut the ring from his finger, that's why Sauron fell. Ergo, he was beaten without a ring of power because he didn't have a ring of power when he was beaten.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2017, 04:16:59 pm »

Isidor cut the ring from his finger, that's why Sauron fell. Ergo, he was beaten without a ring of power because he didn't have a ring of power when he was beaten.

Yeah so it was possible to defeat him even with the ring :P you just have to cover Sauron in bacon grease.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2017, 06:17:18 pm »

This is a good point! It is also true that almost any other sword would probably not have been effective. For instance, the only reason Merry was able to wound the Witch-King was because he had a dagger made specifically for that purpose, and even then Merry almost died from it. How much more so would that general immunity to mundane weaponry apply to Sauron himself?

"So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-kingdom when the Dúnedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will."
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2017, 07:35:16 pm »

While we're on the subject of beating Sauron, let me just say that the ending of Shadow of Mordor was:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I expect it'll be better this time around....I hope. (I predict Celebrimbro is the baddy!) I'd be a real let down to do this epic war across Mordor only to have it end in a couple truncated fights and some QTEs.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2017, 07:37:50 pm »

In all fairness EVERYONE says the Story for Shadow of Mordor was incredibly supremely weak.. Which I also agree with, the story is the worst part of the game.

I honestly think the studio didn't know what they had when they were making the original game.

I will say that beyond the Nemesis system in the first game... I actually think the stealth in the game was actually done >_> pretty well to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:39:32 pm by Neonivek »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:29 pm »

Another part to the livestream. This one seems to be them mostly just playing SoM.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:24 pm »

I'd love to see some more gameplay, so I'll watch that.
welp, misread acronym. will watch anyway
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:47:15 pm by Egan_BW »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »

I'd love to see some more gameplay, so I'll watch that.
welp, misread acronym. will watch anyway
I imagine they're holding off until E3 to post any more gameplay and features.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2017, 02:15:06 pm »

I expect it'll be better this time around....I hope. (I predict Celebrimbro is the baddy!) It'd be a real let down to do this epic war across Mordor only to have it end in a couple truncated fights and some QTEs.

It's pretty clear that Celebrimbor is, uh... Not the nicest guy. Or "goodest" I suppose would be more appropriate. Especially playing the Bright Lord campaign, he's shown as being... Not much better than what he's fighting. Which was kind of the point, I suppose.

And yeah, the ending of SoM was a pretty lame. Whether or not we can expect something better from the sequel depends entirely on your feelings regarding the game industry at large.

Personally, I expect nothing good to come of this. That way, I can hopefully be surprised in a positive fashion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2017, 02:53:22 pm »

I expect a violent romp through mordor with a barely-coherent story and an almost complete focus on fun gameplay over all else.

If the story doesn't end with Frodo in a jetpack throwing grenades at ringwraiths, I'll be happy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2017, 02:57:34 pm »

Honestly? If it DID end with that, I'd be pretty happy. That sounds awesome.

I just don't trust the devs/prods to leave the story as being a barely coherent afterthought, and focus on the gameplay.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »

Like I said, even though I didn't enjoy the story of SoM, it felt like they were taking it seriously.  You're lulled into this false sense of cinema by the constant, personalized encounters with Orc Captains.

But the end of the game was just like...."Fuck, we got an entire game worth of story we should tell but since we can't.....fuck it!"

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

The one thing I didnt like about the last game was the map.
Felt all the same no matter where you were.

This new fortress thing might make a difference now.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53