Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [7/9] - Game Over  (Read 72147 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Now two days longer
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »

Oh son of a bitch.

That first comment was to roo, not doll, I'm just an idiot.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2017, 02:47:46 pm »

Ohh.

I see what you're saying.

Sorry son, but that logic ain't gonna fly in this building.  See, I'm not very effective on D1, but that does not mean that I don't think D1 is important.  The longer a day goes on the more information there is for me to analyze later, when I actually come online in the later days.  And yes, I need more time to do my very shitty best at acquiring more information to analyze.

Oh of course that makes so much sense don't mind me then carry on doing nothing
Or not it's cool.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »

Ohh.

Sorry son, but that logic ain't gonna fly in this building.  See, I'm not very effective on D1, but that does not mean that I don't think D1 is important.  The longer a day goes on the more information there is for me to analyze later, when I actually come online in the later days.  And yes, I need more time to do my very shitty best at acquiring more information to analyze.

You say, ignoring my question to you and the fact that I actually found someone to pressure in the previous two posts.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:02 pm »

Spoiler: @hector13 (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

4mask

His play thus far I guess has been fairly typical of the 4mask I've played with - all of three times I think. Optimum answers to RVS questions, being a bit smarmy if someone throws them shade 'cause he knows they don't have anything to go on yet, pushing a bit on weaker players for some easy towncred.
If you read through my posts you should know that I didn't really push on anyone.  I got pissy with TBF for being anti-town and voted him over it because if all else fails lynching an anti-town player is better than lynching some random joe if there isn't a good scumpick.  He's being less anti-town now, so unvote.  Also, is smarmy actually the word you were looking for there or were you looking for a different unflattering adjective?

What unflattering adjective would you choose to describe it? :P

I thought it was more of a compliment, tbh. You can be smarmy 'cause you can talk your way out of things.

Now I'll be lazy and not read doll's stuff again.

Interesting (and bleedin' obvious, but bugger it) that he has said that 4mask is his top scumpick but has yet to really press a case on him.

Also interesting how doll thinks TBF isn't anti-town, given his case against Johiah is "he's doing it worse than me"... /lazy manipulation to get someone else to press doll for me
[/quote][/spoiler]

I feel like there's more I should've gotten into here, but I've already spent half an hour on this post.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »

EBWOP:...fork.
Can I get the formatting unscrewed by mod please?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2017, 03:04:30 pm »

(I screwed up the spoiler tags, anything before that [/spoiler] is not my words.)
Sigtext

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2017, 03:46:07 pm »

Ohh.

You say, ignoring my question to you and the fact that I actually found someone to pressure in the previous two posts.

Didn't see your question addressing me addressed to doll. Doll asked me to move my vote. I considered my options. Hapah is most likely not going to be lynched. A lynch outside of myself, doll, tbf, johiah Is a more favorable outcome. I read your post you're all over the place. First doll is scum for pointing out your nonsense then doll is town for doing it blatantly then doll is scum for picking on you. Then you say people have to literally pressure you to play. I don't get it. Such weird ic play from either alignment. I'm in the fence about you. Keep talking though this is fantastic!
Or not it's cool.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »

Actually I'd be willing to lynch 4mask. That outburst was probably fake or a desperate attempt to be town read. It's most likely to be scum trying to say gt off me.
Or not it's cool.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »

Actually I'd be willing to lynch 4mask. That outburst was probably fake or a desperate attempt to be town read. It's most likely to be scum trying to say gt off me.
Please.  I was in no danger and still don't feel like I'm in any actual danger, and I'm not RattyB.  I'm not going to flip the fuck out and try to desperately defend myself just because someone dared say mean words to me.  I'm pushing doll to see how he reacts which will give me information down the road and in the here and now, and half of my post is, yes, me thinking out loud, which is why it seems to meander.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2017, 03:55:17 pm »

Please.  I was in no danger and still don't feel like I'm in any actual danger, and I'm not RattyB.  I'm not going to flip the fuck out and try to desperately defend myself just because someone dared say mean words to me.  I'm pushing doll to see how he reacts which will give me information down the road and in the here and now, and half of my post is, yes, me thinking out loud, which is why it seems to meander.

True but then why the emotional outburst? Why did you just do exactly that? Also who and what is a rattyB?
Or not it's cool.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »

True but then why the emotional outburst? Why did you just do exactly that? Also who and what is a rattyB?
I won't answer the first question until doll responds, I will defend myself just not in a blatantly stupid and hyperaggressive manner, and RattyB was a newbie scum in Paranormal 25 who, like many newbies do, freaked out under pressure and outed himself and one of his scumbuddies (Hi TBF!).

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2017, 04:29:28 pm »

I won't answer the first question until doll responds, I will defend myself just not in a blatantly stupid and hyperaggressive manner, and RattyB was a newbie scum in Paranormal 25 who, like many newbies do, freaked out under pressure and outed himself and one of his scumbuddies (Hi TBF!).

Hah??

I guess dude. Good luck with that. Honestly tho I don't see what doll can say to you that will prove she is scum/town and I don't see the reason to believe you what have you done for town? Have you given your thoughts? No. have you analyzed players this game? No. Have you commented on the game state? No. Or do you have dolls meta down and have found scumdoll multiple times? Tell me about it.

Finally @4mask do you think someomes alignment depends on how good the cases made against them are?
Or not it's cool.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »

Text wall incoming.
I am not going to try to arrange this or anything, just going to say stuff as it comes to me.

I will be gone for my 21 year old sisters graduation this weekend. I will not have internet connection at all starting in 3 hours and ending sometime Sunday, and I am the 1% of Americans without a smart phone. That said, I need a replacement for the weekend so I don't get lynched.

@Everyone says I should post. Post what? I can't think of any decent questions, and currently no one has asked me anything.

My strategy of lurking, but posting just enough so I might at least be the last town alive, seems like it will not work, so the above question is pretty important.

Also can someone show me how to do the quotes easily in one big post? Rather new to bbcode.

One of the big reasons I haven't posted that
I will now make a list of who I think may be Mafia, mostly in order of most town to most scum. (In my opinion)
Me and Roo (Seems like he is really working to help the town, rather than just saying "I'm not Mafia")
Webadict or Doll? (Convinced at least one is scum, probs not both)
TBF (Just somewhat obnoxious)
4maskwolf or Hector13 (Not definitely town, and more likely to be Mafia than the others.
Hapah or Gentlefish (Shady and not posting much, respectively)
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: 0 Replacements needs, carry on
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2017, 07:02:15 pm »

As it stands, Hapah tastes like Tiruin's scum - he continually defers posting until the morrow, as it were, and more or less just spends that time defending himself from whatever developments in the thread involve him and then delaying until further and further yet. The more he does this, the easier it is to put a huge amount of pressure on him when I call this habit in to bank.
Heeeey :P I'm better scum than that y'know! That was old-habit-of-me scum!

That said, I'd like to forward what I said here as an IC because it applies to everyone. Mafia can be casually played; Mafia can be seriously played. The difference is in the communication style. There's a concise, laid-back, and acknowledging style, and there's taking everything seriously, literally, and with a touch of innate paranoia :P
But it's moreso because of this being a forum. Results are shown, not just told, and a proactive member contributes the greatest with emphasis on quality over quantity, emphasis for Town-side players, but also for Scum-side (Mafia/third party) players for the game to be fun for everyone.

EBWOP:...fork.
Can I get the formatting unscrewed by mod please?

This is only possible by contacting Mephansteras as the OP/GM (of the game) cannot modify people's posts. :P
You're better off reposting it. And it is okay to double post if that post was to edit/add onto the previous one.

@Everyone says I should post. Post what? I can't think of any decent questions, and currently no one has asked me anything.

My strategy of lurking, but posting just enough so I might at least be the last town alive, seems like it will not work, so the above question is pretty important.

Also can someone show me how to do the quotes easily in one big post? Rather new to bbcode.
I'd say 'posting' as in how you play RL Mafia; add details to the thread, and to the game. :) Comment on other people, or do something to create mutual interaction with others. Also, I'm unsure if this is a common term you use but 'lurking' here (especially with the playerset this game :v) has a negative tinge to it. It implies a disconnection to the current activity of the game.

Also try the 'reply' button instead of the quickreply one, or if you are using the 'reply' button, you can 'quote' others posts and copy paste them into your current one, or use the manual quote button and copy paste those words yourself. :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:05:36 pm by Tiruin »

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
Maybe brevity should be my watchword
« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2017, 04:33:20 am »

Spoiler: Not 4maskwolf (click to show/hide)

That outburst was probably fake or a desperate attempt to be town read.
correct

What a fantastic response.
Or, in other words:
Quote from: one smug bug
Fun fact:
4maskwolf hasn't done anything since his first post during RVS other than answer questions and (try to get townread).

Before I bully 4maskwolf, I'm going to elaborate on why I didn't vote him earlier and why I have been so reticent to pursue him on any given issue.
The basic idea is as follows: the ameliorating factor of the Day 1 blues leaves a lot of doubt as to whether or not a deliberately useless (yet fundamentally competent) player is actually scum, 4maskwolf is very strong scum and excellent at scrambling out from under the lynch, it's hard to move the town in a dramatic fashion without a lot of evidence, evidence (such as it were) was building slowly due to the low impact gameplay of a BM Day 1, inactivity/nonactivity based evidence grows in strength the longer it sits, and I was expecting my read on 4maskwolf to get more precise when he went into Day 2 (whereas it was unlikely to improve nearly as much on players like johiah/gentlefish etc.).
As a bonus, 4maskwolf was at high risk of night activity which would largely render the whole expedition obsolete.

Now, by not voting 4maskwolf I was able to establish a pattern of very light touches upon his misplay. When I actually suspect a player is scum (as opposed to merely wanting to get something out of them) I will not pressure them. Pressuring a player who hasn't played well is a way of giving them an out of their poor play; all they need to do to get out of the pressure is play well. 4maskwolf is capable of that.
A player who slips as scum, however, can be pressured against that slip. Either they will crack or they will be crushed to death. Sometimes if they are hard enough or the town is soft, they might shoot out and avoid the lynch, but it's much harder to do so than against wishy-washy allegations like those based on broad playstyle commentary.

If I'm talking like this, does that mean that 4maskwolf slipped?
Well, yes and no.
Fundamentally, the case against 4maskwolf hasn't changed. He hasn't done anything to find scum. Nothing at all. Not one thing.
He hasn't pressured a single player. He hasn't asked a single question.
Quote from: an incredulous bystander
But isn't that a gross overstatement? What about his questions in RVS? What about his case on TBF? What about his case on doll?
Ah, but did he follow up on those questions? I'll cut to the chase and say: he only asked RVS questions to roo and hapah and he never followed up on a single one.
You could say he was just ... going through the motions. Actually, that is what he was doing. Going through the motions. The mandatory one RVS post, then fielding questions after that so that nobody went after him. Then nothing at all. Not one thing.
What about TBF?
That had absolutely nothing to do with the game, like the rest of the TBF lynch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What about doll?
Ah, but this is where 4maskwolf slipped.
How did he slip? Well, quite simply, he went after doll.
Why is this a slip? Because he didn't go after anyone else.
So? He's taken up two pages with this attack.
And? There's no substance to it.
But isn't it hard to gather substance on a lazy Day 1? Yes, that's why I never voted 4maskwolf.
So why is he going after doll? In order to get townread.

4maskwolf cannot lynch me today. He doesn't have a chance, simply because I am active and therefore important in the night game, as I represent a player who will drive the day game, for good (worrying scum) or bad (interesting cop). That is the curse of Day 1. That is why I didn't want to shoot seriously for anyone, because I know that a lot of players don't warm up until after Day 1 and I thought I'd be better off if I shot at one who I thought might (Gentlefish).

Now, can I lynch 4maskwolf? Originally, I thought not, which is why I started to bait him into being useless while casting shade on him; to make it easier to lynch him later. It worked. Then, for no reason at all, he cracked under the pressure. Why was that? Well, it was getting to the point where he would have to do something. After all, if he didn't address my plan he was going to actually have to do some work and help the town. So, he went after me; this has a dual purpose, which is why I'm being careful here and was anxious not to follow up on him (originally, when I first saw his initial rant, I planned to leave him floating there for quite a while more to gather something more. However, upon review and with the new posts he's made, there's enough to actually go after him). First, if he made a good case on me, I'd read him as town. Second, if I followed up on a poor case against me, he could bait a weak lynch attempt and wriggle out before I could make good on it. This would burn out all the evidence I had from Day 1, because it is effectively useless once town have made the decision to dismiss it in their minds.
So what's next? The case on 4maskwolf?
No. Not yet. I don't have enough for the case on 4maskwolf yet.
This is the part of the lynch which is the most critical and the part which determines whether or not I see 4maskwolf as scum. I must be careful not to trick myself here into thinking that just because he starts to correct his play it does not mean that his intentions have changed. What happens here is: I ask 4maskwolf for some information, to do something for me. He does this, or he cannot, or he refuses. Either he slips out information that he shouldn't have, or he shows that he hasn't been doing what he should have been. I attempt to explain that his play is malicious or unacceptable. Hopefully, he gets lynched.

4maskwolf
Post a complete list of reads. As detailed as you can. In your next post. Complete means a coherent analysis of both playstyle and likelyhood that they are town, as well as any rolepicks. I would struggle to do this myself, so I don't expect you to be able to.
I want you to do this, because if you can't then that means that you have no excuse for not asking questions. None at all.
That means that you don't really care about gathering information from the town.
That means that you are scum.

Anyway, I'll be making an attempt to gather information from 4maskwolf. To set the context for that, I need to apply pressure. To do that effectively, I need to burn through evidence and paint the picture I want you all to see. In other words, consider the following:
Yeah shove it up your ass, I'm never useful on D1 and you goddamn well know it.  You've played two other games with me and in both while I was moderately active on D1 there was a large difference between "active" and "useful".  So why are you bothering to push me over something you've seen me do as both town and scum?
Regardless of whether or not he does this as town, it is a scummy thing to do. What's worse, by admitting it he attempts to hide behind his meta - he is making a deliberate decision not to hunt scum, even though he knows that's what town should do.
See, the problem is that he never does anything to acquire that information. Nothing at all. So what are we to think? Maybe he doesn't need that information? Maybe he's already getting everything he needs? If he is, he must be able to tell me quite a lot about the state of the game and the positions of the players that I don't already know, because I couldn't really say what's going on with Webadict or Gentlefish or Hapah or Johiah or Hector13 or even TBF.

Bolded for being wrong.
There is no pressure on me. 4maskwolf has presented all of nothing. He has asked all of nothing.
Surely, you have noticed that my case greatly relies upon 4maskwolf not actually hunting when he goes after me.
Thus, let us consider what he has actually gone after me with.
doll:  You want me to be aggressive?  You want me to fight back?  Then fine, you can have it.  Stop being so standoffish and actually vote for me.  You've said I'm your biggest scum suspect, yet you repeatedly vote for people who aren't me.  All you're doing is standing back and casting shade for future days, and it doesn't reflect well on you.  Setting up lynches ahead of time like that is a pretty basic scum trick: they lynch one town today, cast major shade on another one to make them an easier lynch tomorrow.  I doubt you're actually stupid enough to do it so blatantly, which begs the question: what are you trying to do?  Are you trying to bait me into being more active and taking a more aggressive stance? Then congratulations, you've succeeded.  And now that you have, fucking do something about it.  If you think I'm scum, stop dancing around the issue and hit me with your vote.  Push me for information, try and force me to crack under pressure.  Rally the town and your scumbuddy to try and get me lynched.  Because that... that's the way to get me to fight back.  You haven't seen it because I've never been under serious pressure in any game we've played together, but when backed into a corner that's when I fight back the hardest and most candidly. So if you want me to do things, that's how you should go about it.
This is a terrible way to hunt for scum. A wall of questions without break like this can be answered in summary, like I am doing here. I don't actually need to address any point I want to avoid. Indeed, I don't even need to answer a single one of the questions. Webadict didn't, when I asked him questions like this and that was fine, because that was part of RVS and I just wanted to sketch out a slightly broader understanding of webadict and this game than I had at that time. You need much better than this to lynch someone.
So let's look at what's actually here, since unlike 4maskwolf I am town and I do want to go through things seriously.

You want me to be aggressive?
Well, actually, I don't care, since I think you're scum.
However, to have gotten my read off of you, you should have asked questions which would allow you to make a case in the future. Or done something else, which would allow you to make a case in the future. You've gathered all of jack shit. Tell me what you've found out, and how what you have done has allowed you to find that. Dead ends are fine, if you start something.
And you have not.
Stop being so standoffish and actually vote for me.
I was going to say 'no', since this in particular demonstrates my point: 4maskwolf wants to be townread.
As I outlined earlier, making a weak case on 4mask and bouncing off him would lead me to struggle to lynch him later on. Engaging 4maskwolf would appear to legitimize his case. But it isn't legitimate.
You've said I'm your biggest scum suspect, yet you repeatedly vote for people who aren't me.  All you're doing is standing back and casting shade for future days, and it doesn't reflect well on you.  Setting up lynches ahead of time like that is a pretty basic scum trick: they lynch one town today, cast major shade on another one to make them an easier lynch tomorrow.  I doubt you're actually stupid enough to do it so blatantly, which begs the question: what are you trying to do?
Are you trying to bait me into being more active and taking a more aggressive stance? Then congratulations, you've succeeded.  And now that you have, fucking do something about it.  If you think I'm scum, stop dancing around the issue and hit me with your vote.  Push me for information, try and force me to crack under pressure.  Rally the town and your scumbuddy to try and get me lynched.  Because that... that's the way to get me to fight back.
Fighting back was never the way out. You needed to fight to the side. You needed to push on somebody. Somebody who would care.
Do I care? No, not about your 'pressure'. You can't lynch me. I can lynch you, but it's a lot of work, which is why this post is so long.
All you needed to do was show an interest in the game beyond your own survival. You haven't done anything to gather information. I'm pushing on you for a negative (that you have not tried to gather information) rather than a positive, so all you ever needed to do is show one thing: that you are trying to gather information.
But you're not. Even under pressure, your first instinct was not to gather information, but to get a town-read out of me. You don't care about the state of the game, just that you don't get lynched Day 1.
That suggests that you are scum.
You haven't seen it because I've never been under serious pressure in any game we've played together, but when backed into a corner that's when I fight back the hardest and most candidly.
I have seen it, though not in a game we've been in together. I've seen you go hard as scum in FBYOR2, though not as hard as you struggle when you're the last scum and trying to pull desperately through. Yes, you're a good player and your scum play is phenomenally slippery and hard to crack. Congratulations; that is why I didn't push on you directly. I didn't want it to slip off. You've shown, however, that you have been waiting for someone to push on you before you act like town. This links into the below:
So if you want me to do things, that's how you should go about it.
Which was covered by another player much better than I could:
you (admit) people have to literally pressure you to play.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36