Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Archmage: The Blood of Magic  (Read 13718 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:55 am »

Okay, other Archmages, especially the ones without a heir and don't have a large lifespan. You can all have a child raised by our dynasty, with no investment of your time. Consider it a share of charity.
(Question, what is the general consensus on the power level of a tier-8 summoning spell, as in how powerful would the monster be?)

Edited: House Hatio's action have been revised
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:11:59 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »

@Taricus: Is this a one-time use, or something that you need to take regularly like the rituals?

@Shadowclaw: Arrieta is under 18, and thus too young to raise children. A tier-6 summon would be of large size (one above medium), tier-9 would be huge size (two above medium). Tier-8 could produce several large sized summons, or one more quickly (long cast say, rather than a ritual)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »

Spend two years learning how to move stone and earth via magic (basically earth-bending).
Spend three years helping rebuild the valley.
Spend the rest of the time having/raising a child with an NPC.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »

I'm interested in a spell store spell knowledge in gems, and a second spell allowing someone to learn them. The second spell should allow several students for each spell, but cost rare and valuable reagents.

I also want mage-sight. I think I want it as a ritual that permanently ties up a spell slot.

Spending all our wealth won't devalue our lands, right?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2017, 06:09:02 pm »

One time use, though a mutagenic effect of it means that blood must still be consumed, just directly by the user rather than magically.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2017, 06:35:42 pm »

I would also like to learn some basic offensive spells, if anyone is willing to teach them.

Anyone else? I'll start off the turn by teaching magic dart(1) and anti-magic dart cluster(2) to my heir, then let her train others. I'd like it if someone would learn Void Knife(3) from me while I'm training my heir, as it's the only anti-soul spell we have right now. Failing interest in that, I'll share anything I know.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2017, 05:46:39 pm »

I'm interested in a spell store spell knowledge in gems, and a second spell allowing someone to learn them. The second spell should allow several students for each spell, but cost rare and valuable reagents.
I was wondering when someone would ask about this kind of thing. See Language of Magic below.

I also want mage-sight. I think I want it as a ritual that permanently ties up a spell slot.
What does mage sight do?

Spending all our wealth won't devalue our lands, right?
No. Think of your wealth as a spending cap rather than a pile of coins. I have mechanics involved in trading off sources of wealth to allow you to go over your limit, but you're not at that point.

One time use, though a mutagenic effect of it means that blood must still be consumed, just directly by the user rather than magically.
I feel I've under-priced your vampirism spells actually. I'm currently thinking of how I want to deal with that. (probably by bumping up the power costs and just letting you keep the past effects). Achieving true Vampirism will be difficult, and require several different spells.

Language of Magic (16) - [Expense][Teaching][Theory] Common tongue just doesn't have the words needed to describe the intricacies of magic effectively. Nor does it have the ability to demonstrate the required techniques in order to cause a specific effect. Knowledge of this language will allow an individual to inscribe a spell into a "Spellbook". A name that is rather lacking for what it does. This spell book details exactly how to weave magic to create the particular spell and uses a combination of rare reagents and minor enchantment to allow a magical reader to perceive the techniques in their mind's eye. It will cost 0.2 Wealth per power level of spell to commit it to a spellbook as well as the prerequisite knowledge Permanent Enchantment. A reader with this knowledge may learn a spell at a rate of one year per power level without any other prerequisites. There is no limit to the number of students to a specific spellbook.

True Vampirism (20) - [Alchemy][Expense][Death][Ritual][Sacrifice] This transformation comes in two parts, an elixir requiring rare reagents and a ritual that involves the ultimate sacrifice, the death of a willing innocent. This culminates in a physical transformation of the recipient into a Bram Stoker style Vampire. They will be effectively immortal, but will require weekly ingestion of blood. This spell requires 5 wealth and either 5 favour or a volunteer, as well as Permanent Enchantment and Transformation Theory

Permanent Enchantment (8) - [Meta][Theory] Spells require a source of energy to maintain them. This typically comes from within the caster and thus forces a finite limit on the length of a spell. The art of permanent enchantments then, is crafting an efficient enough spell that it can be maintained by the ambient magic in the area.

Transformation Theory (10) - [Theory][Transformation] In-depth knowledge of human and animal anatomy allows a mage to safely alter the physical body of a target, giving them inhuman abilities.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2017, 06:56:34 pm »

...Motherfucker. Honestly I'm fine with the spells as they work now having a wealth or favour costs, Because I'm gonna need all that time to develop that O.O

Also I was thinking more Warhammer vampire than Bram stoker (AKA goodbye practically all the 'traditional' weaknesses of vampirism, Hello being murder incarnate on two legs :D)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »

True Vampirism (20) - [Alchemy][Expense][Death][Ritual][Sacrifice] This transformation comes in two parts, an elixir requiring rare reagents and a ritual that involves the ultimate sacrifice, the death of a willing innocent
Well, that's pretty easy to get - Just find some impoverished peasants willing to give their lives so their families can eat well for a decade or two.
And does that require 153 years worth of xp grinding to cast?

24 years
Aich.

What does mage sight do?
Nevermind that, I just remembered that our artifacts let us see magic. Being able to see magic would let us get more researchers, and I assume you're not going to allow that.

One more spell design for now, then.
A succession spell, which transfers mental xp and all spell knowledge to the recipient, but leaves the caster unable to ever use magic again.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2017, 07:43:28 pm »

New Spell: Flicker-Shield (1) - Creates an unstable yet strong circular barrier, which only lasts for a few seconds.

Spoiler: House Rennin Turn (click to show/hide)

Nuke! Neither of us has money. We have so much in common! Our kids should totally get married! Unless your family is horribly offended by double-posting, I guess :[
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:24:23 pm by Nirur Torir »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2017, 01:43:12 am »

I feel I've under-priced your vampirism spells actually. I'm currently thinking of how I want to deal with that. (probably by bumping up the power costs and just letting you keep the past effects). Achieving true Vampirism will be difficult, and require several different spells.
Oh no!, my plans to build an entire dynasty that employed the increased lifespan of Vampirism are nullified.
Language of Magic (16) - [Expense][Teaching][Theory] Common tongue just doesn't have the words needed to describe the intricacies of magic effectively. Nor does it have the ability to demonstrate the required techniques in order to cause a specific effect. Knowledge of this language will allow an individual to inscribe a spell into a "Spellbook". A name that is rather lacking for what it does. This spell book details exactly how to weave magic to create the particular spell and uses a combination of rare reagents and minor enchantment to allow a magical reader to perceive the techniques in their mind's eye. It will cost 0.2 Wealth per power level of spell to commit it to a spellbook as well as the prerequisite knowledge Permanent Enchantment. A reader with this knowledge may learn a spell at a rate of one year per power level without any other prerequisites. There is no limit to the number of students to a specific spellbook.
I think this spell might be a too high of a level for its effect at first glance, but with more reflecting on it, it doesn't seem that bad. I was going to say the rate of research and the rate of learning from one of these spell books are the same, but only their is only a single Archmage per dynasty. So yes, an Archmage could theoretically replicate a spell at the same time it would take anyone to learn from one of these books, but it comes at the cost of practicality that you are using your most powerful member doing some redundant and inefficient task. This allows a dynasty to have the safety and guarantee that if their most powerful mage records their spell before being sent out to battle and dies, they won't lose the time spend on research for that mage. Of course, this takes around the fact it takes 91 years of magical training before you are able to utilize this theory (this is also calculating the bonus from the Archmage's magic bonus), so research into spells that expand life or increased magical XP growth, might be needed

To humor myself, I'm probably going to design two tier-1 research spells as training spells for the new apprentice in the next turn of time progress, so here's the proposals just needing a little bit of revision in their level of potency.

Aquatic Restoration, Minor (1): With the invocation of the element of water on a minor scale, this is used to cleanse the pain of bleeding and helps with clotting. The surge of finely used water molecules can help heal minor injuries and some diseases. The spell's main difference from Healing Hands is that it less effective for other targets as the water molecules have to adapt to a different environment within the body, but is more effective when casted on the self as it is already adjusted to the minute details it needs to work properly.
Redirect Flame, Small Scale (1): Be able to concentrate energy into a selected source of fire to be able to move the flame's direction to a different direction, it requires the full focus of semantic movements and focus concentration to work properly. It is most effective with small flames like candles and lanterns, while the more larger one are often unaffected or only affected minimally, because the level of the spell is at a such of a minor level and was specialized for flames of smaller scales
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:37:59 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2017, 07:24:38 am »

Also I was thinking more Warhammer vampire than Bram stoker (AKA goodbye practically all the 'traditional' weaknesses of vampirism, Hello being murder incarnate on two legs :D)
I'll google the differences in a bit, see if we can't come up with something we're both happy with.

And does that require 153 years worth of xp grinding to cast?
Yes it will. But as this circumvents a pretty core component of the game, I think it's justified. Besides, it'll only age Sara 15 years in the process :P

A succession spell, which transfers mental xp and all spell knowledge to the recipient, but leaves the caster unable to ever use magic again.
See below.

New Spell: Flicker-Shield (1) - Creates an unstable yet strong circular barrier, which only lasts for a few seconds.
See below.

I think this spell might be a too high of a level for its effect at first glance, but with more reflecting on it, it doesn't seem that bad. I was going to say the rate of research and the rate of learning from one of these spell books are the same, but only their is only a single Archmage per dynasty. So yes, an Archmage could theoretically replicate a spell at the same time it would take anyone to learn from one of these books, but it comes at the cost of practicality that you are using your most powerful member doing some redundant and inefficient task. This allows a dynasty to have the safety and guarantee that if their most powerful mage records their spell before being sent out to battle and dies, they won't lose the time spend on research for that mage. Of course, this takes around the fact it takes 91 years of magical training before you are able to utilize this theory (this is also calculating the bonus from the Archmage's magic bonus), so research into spells that expand life or increased magical XP growth, might be needed
I think I've said this before, but I will say it again just in case I imagined it. Anyone can learn theories, regardless of their mental stat. The power level of the "spell" is just for how long it takes to research/learn. Your redirect flame spell is a little underpowered for tier one, see below for some suggestions.

---

Aquatic Restoration, Minor (1) - [Life][Long Cast][Water] With the invocation of the element of water on a minor scale, this is used to cleanse the pain of bleeding and helps with clotting. The surge of finely used water molecules can help heal minor injuries and some diseases. The spell's main difference from Healing Touch is that it less effective for other targets as the water molecules have to adapt to a different environment within the body, but is more effective when casted on the self as it is already adjusted to the minute details it needs to work properly.
Flame Manipulation, Minor (1) - [Concentration][Fire][Kinesis] Through sustained effort, a caster can manipulate and move non-magical fires. They will have total control over small fires, and substantial less control over larger ones. This spell does not include the instant creation of fire.
Flicker-Shield (1) - [Barrier][Physical][Short Cast] Creates a small semi-circular wall of force, capable of protecting the caster from physical attacks for a few seconds. Quick reflexes are needed to employ this spell to best effect.
Fireball, Initiate's (1) - [Fire][Ranged][Short Cast] Creates a small ball of fire, approximately the size of an egg and launches it at a target. The fire will burn on impact, but unlike the greater forms, does not explode.
Magical Inheritence (10) - [Artifact][Ritual][Sacrifice][Teaching] As part of the ceremony of passing on the artifact to a successor, this spell may be cast. Doing so will transfer all spell knowledge from the caster to the recipient, as well as seventy-five percent of Mental Experience. This process is taxing for the caster, stripping them of all magical power. They will retain their Might score, but will never be able to use magic again. They will be able to teach theory, but no practical spells.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2017, 07:48:27 am »

Man I'm trying to do that without Sara getting into being middle aged thank you :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2017, 08:03:31 am »

Spoiler: House Rennin Turn (click to show/hide)

Nuke! Neither of us has money. We have so much in common! Our kids should totally get married! Unless your family is horribly offended by double-posting, I guess :[
Hmm. An intriguing offer. There is the question of whose dynasty the children would belong to, though. Perhaps, provided all four of them aren't of the same gender, we could marry members of the generation being created this turn.
Also, I wouldn't mind sitting in on the lessons for Magic Dart and Flicker-Shield. It wouldn't be much, but having some cantrip combat magic would be nice.
I would still like to learn maybe a level 4 combat spell in years 7-8, if anyone is willing to teach one.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:30:34 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:11 am »

I forgot to mention this earlier: How soon you respond to the plight of the common folk affects how well perceived the effort is. Immediate aid is better.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12