Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Archmage: The Blood of Magic  (Read 13723 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »

Clearly this calls for Rains of Life. More rain will cause an overflow error, resetting the weather to clear.
That's how weather, works, isn't it?
It isn't? Well, I'm out of ideas.

Hera and Theos can only help by providing medical attention to anyone who needs it, both during and after the calamity.

...unless we could somehow figure out how to reverse the polarity of Rains of Life within a few hours. Maybe combining the casting of anti-magic and Rains could do something?

E: In case it needs specifying,  I'm talking about maxing out on healing spells for my slots. And I guess my soldiers will help to storm-proof Fort Knot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:47:10 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »

Did we build the seal room as an open-air courtyard or something? :(

How many Conjured Barriers would it take to surround the seal completely, at the thickest setting?
Is it easy to create a pyramid roof of conjured barriers over the seal?
It's inside a room in Fort Knox, so the only risk of a direct strike is if the Fort collapses somehow.
It could be done with six, to make a cube around the Seal.
Barriers don't have to be supported by anything, so it should be fairly straightforward to make a pyramid roof.

...unless we could somehow figure out how to reverse the polarity of Rains of Life within a few hours. Maybe combining the casting of anti-magic and Rains could do something?
Unfortunately your knowledge of impromptu magic is not that good.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »

I just want to state that my research towards lightning storms, has no implications on why we are dealing with chaotic weather, none at all. How about this, if I cast my Lightning Storm, somewhere away from Fort Knot than all of the water-laden clouds will move somewhere else and can help fix this problem, no repercussions at all and this totally logical sound.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2017, 06:29:14 pm »

Houses Lucio and Tridian could work together to try to waterproof the fort with magical barriers. We could also hire some dudes to dig trenches as fast as they can to try to disrupt the flow
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »

have my troops sandbag the fort and as much of the surrounding land as possible to ward off the flooding, then use the caster's circles to summon large barriers to protect the seal as best as possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:03:37 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2017, 07:30:00 pm »

Mage Brin stocks up on her 3 light heals and hopes they work against the half-drowned.

Archmage Raellius will fill his (1)s with Magic Darts, his (2)s with anti-magic dart clusters, keep a pair of (3)Void Knives just in case, filling the rest of the 3+ slots with (3)Conjure Barrier.
He will fire two anti-magic dart clusters at the storm (NOT STRAIGHT UP), one now and one when it starts getting bad, and keep the rest just in-case something shows up. Conjure Barriers will be used to help water-proof the seal room and fort.

-How long would it take to build up a town around said castle?
There's a number of small villages scattered within a day's walk, two days away is the nearest town and a week's walk is the capital where the archmages each open some property and spend the majority of their time. As such there's no real need for one here. You would have to have a good reason to cause so many people to relocate.
REASON ACQUIRED!
After the immediate crisis is over, he will use most of the proceeds from his lands to help build a settlement around the fort, help people relocate here, and to feed the people here.

On second thought, an excuse is not a reason.
4 wealth in proceeds from his land will be used to feed and help people.
5 wealth, and Brin's first year of the next turn, will be used in investments and expanding my income base.
1 wealth will be spent on recruiting light infantry, who will help restore order in the immediate area. Brin will stay nearby to help with healing and a bit of enticement for the new settlement. (I'm hiring civilians so they don't starve or riot, with the expectation that they'll be trained during the next turn)

((Maybe not the greatest time for it, but does anyone want to brainstorm what spells we need? I'd like to work towards having some well-rounded mages for the next disaster. I expect something bad, like a strong demon or an army of zombies, which mortal troops won't be able to deal with.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:41:27 pm by Nirur Torir »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2017, 12:09:48 am »

Lacking both the manpower and magical spells to assist uses her more tangible assets to help preserve the seal from being flooded or hit by lighting; namely assisting in the work herself physically using the vigour provided by the vampirism spell. After the storm has passed, Sara calls in favours and uses her finances to help get the local area back on it's feet via investment and reconstruction.

I can do boss & end boss tier, but it isn't going to be summons :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:43 am »

I just want to state that my research towards lightning storms, has no implications on why we are dealing with chaotic weather, none at all. How about this, if I cast my Lightning Storm, somewhere away from Fort Knot than all of the water-laden clouds will move somewhere else and can help fix this problem, no repercussions at all and this totally logical sound.
As amusing as that would be, I can confirm that this crisis was planned well before you started messing with the weather. Although that would be a good way to generate more crises...

Houses Lucio and Tridian could work together to try to waterproof the fort with magical barriers. We could also hire some dudes to dig trenches as fast as they can to try to disrupt the flow
Between the lot of you, you have seven infantry units at your disposal. This amounts to about 350 men.

And we're just waiting on Roboson to get involved. Amazing how quickly this game progresses when I actually do my job.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2017, 10:39:29 am »

Jeez there's not a lot I can do to help with this, my magic is mostly shoot the bad-guys kind of magic. Use my laser spells to dig trenches around the fort. Design them so that they direct the floodwater away from the fort.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2017, 03:02:21 pm »

Arietta Hatio will have her three castings of Healing Hands in case any personnel requires medical treatment.

Archmage Leotherm, will uses his plethora of earth elementals and heavy infantry retinue to act as laborers for any reinforcements and entrenchments that need to be constructed around Fort Knot. Having the casting of a lightning storm and rock shards at the ready and one usage of spirit wall, just in case if their is any sight of a potential threat. Personally see if their is any political work he can do to control the panic, and spend the remaining time helping with reconstruction.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:29:50 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »

Archmages Lucio will be inside the fort, casting barriers on the entrances so the water can't get through.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »

I think someone should research a spell to store other spells in gems, similar to my seal recordings. Otherwise trying to keep someone with each spell learned could become a logistical annoyance in short order.

Alternative plan: Research better teaching, probably with mind magic and a sacrifice of wealth and blood, and have a vampire act as a centralized teacher. Actually, I think I like this idea. It ends up expensive yet simple.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2017, 07:30:30 am »

Year 22: When It Rains, it Pours
Three hundred and fifty able bodied soldiers can get a lot done when they set their mind to it. The actual digging was limited by the number of shovels and mattocks available, but the remaining hands were quickly put to use in moving the fresh earth to make a flood barrier around the grounds. Members of the magical dynasties also got stuck in, and whilst their individual efforts were lost amongst the mass their willingness to get involved spurred the men on. Conjured Barriers were used to block off awkward areas, as well as to help waterproof the building itself. Archmage Raellius was seen sending a burst of magic into the sky, but it is unclear if it did anything.

As the water rose higher, a few refugees found their way to the Fort. They were quickly ushered into the compound by nearby soldiers, found a fire to sit next to, plied with blankets and in one case magically healed of early stage hypothermia.

The storm continued to rage, however the solid stone construction of the Fort meant it avoided any lightning strikes. Several times trees within the grounds were hit, one close enough to a squad of Hatio Infantry that they got peppered by the exploded fragments. The majority were lucky enough to get away with little more than splinters, but one was killed instantly by a fragment the size of his forearm.

By the time the water level had reached the grounds, a man high flood barrier had been erected around the entire area, along with a series of trenches to encourage the water to flow elsewhere. Returning the gardens to their former glory will be an absolute nightmare, but the groundsmen had been too busy burying their hard work in soil to complain.

To everyone’s immense relief, the flood bank held. As the waters started to recede, the Archmages noticed the silence caused by an absence of rain. The Fort and everyone in it, had weathered the storm.

---

The valley, once it had less in common with the sea, the true scale of the disaster was revealed. Trees had been uprooted, whole buildings had just washed away and the very face of the landscape was permanently disfigured. Whilst the refugees at the fort had survived, they’d lost everything.

Over the following days, many more refugees returned to the area, bearing only what they could carry with them as they fled. Many more were reported missing. Most were never found. Thankfully, this flood was fairly localised. Whilst the rest of the kingdom suffered the severe storm, only this valley and its tributaries were flooded.

---

The Archmages saved themselves and theirs, but many others suffered. It will take years for the people to recover. Each dynasty can commit effort towards the reconstruction in the form of actions or wealth over the coming years. No effort from a family will cost them five favour. A significant effort will prevent them from losing any favour.

The next crisis will occur in eight years

Spoiler: Fort Knot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Hatio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Harinus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lucio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Rennin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Galliene (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lumier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Tridian (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2017, 08:10:09 am »

Hmm, hmm. I think I'm going to develop some more nature magic, in the form of

Green Hands (2): Uses magical energy to accelerate the growth of a plant hundredfold, under the caster's control. Affects a small area around the caster (~2m?)

I would also like to learn some basic offensive spells, if anyone is willing to teach them. For my part, there will be one slot available to learn Green Hands, if anyone is interested.

Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:42 am »

Hmm... How powerful would a power 8 elixir of immortality (Via transforming the drinker into a vampire) be?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12